Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Jay Wilson the douche

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Jay Wilson the douche

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 01-20-2013 10:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is leaving the Diablo 3 team.

bout fucking time

linkage

now he's off to fuck up another project

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-20-2013 11:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The name doesn't ring any bell :confused:

Diablo III :question: ... googles....

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-20-2013 11:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
is leaving the Diablo 3 team.

bout fucking time

linkage

now he's off to fuck up another project

Who gives a shit.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 01-20-2013 11:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm guessing Trans, Bitwise and that Turb

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-20-2013 11:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

3 morons.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 07:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
i'm guessing Trans, Bitwise and that Turb

I haven't played D3 since they nerfed all my IAS gear to the ground but then decided "oh well we can't retroactively improve legendary/set gear because we don't want to be touching people's gear".

I'll probably play the expansions but my girlfriend doesn't give me much gaming time :tear:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 08:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
i'm guessing Trans, Bitwise and that paki Turb

Probably should have sent them a PM.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

3 more people than care about your hand-egg thread

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 08:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think I might be done with video games. It's kinda weird, but strangely liberating...

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

8 pages of not caring? :olo:

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 08:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I think I might be done with video games. It's kinda weird, but strangely liberating...

I haven't played a video game in years.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 09:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck that guy;

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 09:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
fuck that guy

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jay Wilson ruined Diablo III. Now he's off to ruin another Blizzard project. Joy.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
xer0s wrote:

I haven't played a video game in years.

You two are not really taking the high road here, are you?

I'm guessing with xer0s not playing any games is that he simply forgot how to play games or even turn on his console since he tends to forget anything that's not directly in front of him and spelled out with pretty icons and LawL...well...it's pretty damned obvious there's no time in your schedule for games when you spend 24/7 filling up double-digit-paged Q3W threads with non-stop trolls targeted at exceedingly stupid rednecks. :olo:

In closing: yeah...it makes perfect sense why you two fags haven't played any games. :olo:

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 01-21-2013 10:07 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 10:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Jay Wilson ruined Diablo III. Now he's off to ruin another Blizzard project. Joy.

I hate to say it but Jay Wilson is yet another example of this industry filling up with absolute idiots. He's a true indicator of trends that have been occurring the last 5 years.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 10:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If I was really bad at games I would probably quit too.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
I hate to say it but Jay Wilson is yet another example of this industry filling up with absolute idiots. He's a true indicator of trends that have been occurring the last 5 years.

On the flip side, though, a lot of established developers are turning to alternative revenue streams by starting indie companies and using shit like Kickstarter to make games. A light at the end of the tunnel? Still a bit early to tell IMO, but I have hope. :paranoid:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:

On the flip side, though, a lot of established developers are turning to alternative revenue streams by starting indie companies and using shit like Kickstarter to make games. A light at the end of the tunnel? Still a bit early to tell IMO, but I have hope. :paranoid:

I have no faith at all in Kickstarter as there is literally no evidence to support anyone's decision to give money to any of the participants. Overall it has a horrible batting average for getting projects done and hasn't made any inroads at all in changing the paradigm of how games get financed/created. It's been nothing but a marketing tool to create hype and that's really all investors are paying for at this point.

As to devs starting indie companies and "doing their own thing"...that's a joke and a lie. Anyone who "busts out" and tries to make games "they way they want" always eventually gets bought out and turned exactly into the kinds of studios they tried to get to get away from in the first place. If I had a dime for every "independent" that was turned into an "internal studio" for one of the big publishers, I'd buy myself a Ferrari. Bigger fish always eat smaller fish...it's just a matter of time.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 01:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're such a buzzkill. :tear:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
I hate to say it but...

2015 -> Infinity Ward -> Respawn Entertainment -> etc -> etc

No end in sight, I'm afraid. We, as an industry like any other, are driven by people who only care about the bottom line. Without fail they start off with rose-coloured glasses and then, without fail, reality asserts itself.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's "fuck that loser."

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 02:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think he's antagonistic and I'm glad he's leaving. But if he's primarily who I need to thank for Diablo 3's amazing skill/rune system, then I am grateful. I know we've sort of been around the block on this topic before, and I am aware of the myriad D2 vets that despise the system, favoring skill points/trees. But I am a big fan of the current system. I also feel like whomever takes over next, they're going to, for the most part continue with Jay's system, but improve the various other systems (and a legitimate endgame). The future is very bright for this game, I think.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 03:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's almost never one person designing everything anyway. The higher ups come up with vague ideas (or the lower rungs do and the higher ups take credit for it) and then each idea is tasked to a designer lower on the food chain, and they're actually the people who make it cool or make it shitty with the higher ups ultimately doing nothing more than a thumbs up or thumbs down reaction.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 06:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
You two are not really taking the high road here, are you?

I'm guessing with xer0s not playing any games is that he simply forgot how to play games or even turn on his console since he tends to forget anything that's not directly in front of him and spelled out with pretty icons and LawL...well...it's pretty damned obvious there's no time in your schedule for games when you spend 24/7 filling up double-digit-paged Q3W threads with non-stop trolls targeted at exceedingly stupid rednecks. :olo:

In closing: yeah...it makes perfect sense why you two fags haven't played any games. :olo:

Well you manage to outpost me in terms of volume by about 500 words to 1 yet still have time to play video games so that's obviously not the reason. I just find them boring these days and have so for a number of years.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 06:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some are good. Indeed some are boring.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-21-2013 07:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
If I was really bad at games I would probably quit too.

Death is about the only thing that would stop you from playing video games.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 01-22-2013 07:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When I quit (despite their continued efforts) there were still very specific builds that gave you the best results without question. Some classes had skills that were flat-out required to play Inferno. Honestly, with a skill system I don't know how you would ever totally get away from that and still have a meaningful difference in options.

That being said, it was a cool setup.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 01-24-2013 09:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Mogul wrote:
But if he's primarily who I need to thank for Diablo 3's amazing skill/rune system, then I am grateful. I know we've sort of been around the block on this topic before, and I am aware of the myriad D2 vets that despise the system, favoring skill points/trees. But I am a big fan of the current system.

Gimmie a layman's lowdown on this please?

There are no skill points to allocate to stats. The only way stats can be increased is via gear (i.e. the only way to increase strength is to get a piece of gear with more strength on it than the one you're wearing). There are no skill trees/talent trees. There are no increments to deal with.

As you level, you unlock skills that you can use in combat. You can only have 6 skills at a time on your action bar. There is also a hotkey to use potions. To me, here's where the game's elegance really shines: the rune system. Each skill can have one rune attached to it at a time. Each skill has multiple runes to select from. Each rune changes the way a skill works in a specific way, sometimes radically changing how it works. Here are a couple of examples.

Sprint is a barbarian skill. With no rune attached, it increases movement speed by x% for x amount of time (been a while; can't remember specific numbers). There are five different runes that change the way it behaves though. For example, the Run Like the Wind rune causes you to drop tornados in your wake while sprint is activated. Or, you could use the Gangway rune, which causes a knockback to enemies that you charge through. Every skill in the game has a "default" function, as well as these runes to choose from. The gameplay difference between one build and the next can be drastically different, depending on what you're going for.

As for the accusation that each class really only has one build they can use, I beg to differ, though I do think that might have been the case before they corrected the damage output in Inferno (highest difficulty). When people were first getting to Inferno mode, the content was grossly overtuned, and for some classes, there seemed to be only one build that would give them everything they needed to kinda-sorta survive Inferno. I believe I read a blue post saying they didn't really even test Acts 3 and 4 on Inferno because it was assumed to be pretty insurmountable without insane levels of gear. But now, Inferno is much more reasonable, and it's a lot easier to get good gear. I'm thinking about my barbarian and what builds would be viable to him, given his gear. I don't really have to use this build anymore, but I could go ultra survivability with lots of defensive cooldowns and runes. Or I could go the very popular "double whirlwind" build which revolves around dual wielding Life On Hit weapons for farming. My current build, which is far from optimal, but very fun, is a Skorn build which utilizes a 2h axe called Skorn and staying alive via using Rend and healing via a rune on it. Selected skills and runes will also change depending on your group makeup, if you're playing with friends, because you can all serve different roles and provide different buffs. I know barbarians have several different runes for different skills that provide a group buff.

You can switch in and out of skills and runes at will, for free, which is awesome. There is a system to encourage some sense of build permanence, though. Every time you kill a pack of elites or a champion, you get a buff to loot drop rates. It stacks up to five times. If you change a skill or rune while the buff is active, you lose your stacks.

This elegant system (including its simple UI) yields tons of potential for variety in gameplay. Your character simply plays differently depending on these decisions you make. WoW ended up adopting a comparable system for Mists of Pandaria and, for my money, beats the old talent tree system easily.

That's definitely not to say D3 is without problems. First, D2 vets probably would prefer skill trees/skill points, as a majority. Also, as I've complained, there's no real endgame. The endgame exists to farm items, which isn't the worst thing in the world, but the auction house circumvents that almost entirely. Also, the drops and affixes on the drops are balanced around the availability of the auction house. That's hugely problematic. It's apparently way, way harder to come across an amazing item now -- you're really better off just buying it from the AH. But at that point, why are you even playing the game? I can also imagine that a game like TL2 might get more hours out of a player through re-rolls, if nothing else. But for me, I've spent roughly 200 hours in Diablo 3, on one character: my first character, the barbarian. The skill system in D3 isn't the problem, in terms of longevity. It's the endgame. Apparently, it could take a page from D2 in terms of a sustainable endgame, too. The ladder concept interests me (especially if the AH were disabled for it...).

So yeah, there are problems, but if I had to pick one thing about the game that is awesome, I'd go with the skill/rune system. Brilliant, elegant, deeper-than-it-looks. Awesome system.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 01-24-2013 10:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's Jay "Fuck That Loser" Wilson himself delivering an opinion that I agree with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVTVMqtmxPU

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.