Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Playstation 4

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Playstation 4

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-19-2013 01:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So it's Sony's big announcement tomorrow which is supposedly going to be the PS4. I for one am interested to see what the specs are, if it is the PS4.

Supposedly a much more off the shelf system rather than some crazy cell shit going on

Updates to follow :)

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-19-2013 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U premature ejaculator...

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-19-2013 01:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm interested but aside from very few exclusive games I only use my PS3 to play blurays.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-19-2013 01:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Same here to be fair - sing star at the odd party too, of course.

It'll be more interesting to see how it fares against a 2 year old PC

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-19-2013 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ppl still watch blurays?...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-19-2013 02:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm waiting for the new xbox.

The PS3 i have only gets used for BRs. After the latest xbox update and newer silent system the xbox is much better than the PS3 for media streaming. Sony have shown no effort in bringing the PS3 forward, it's almost the same as when first released which doesn't bode well for the next gen. Look at the xbox which started out as a pure gaming system with an mp3 player included, now it's almost the centre of my home entertainment system.

The xbox is just missing a BR player which should be addressed. And I didn't mention just how epic Live as a MP service is. But yeah, bring on the specs.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-19-2013 11:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah the Xbox is better but I'm interested to see what the specs are on this. Also they have supposedly built the move into the controller...which will be shit.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 02-19-2013 11:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it'll use an AMD CPU and cloud from what i've read so far

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 02-19-2013 11:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 12:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting to think they are using the cloud based gaming for "emulation" of PS3 games on the PS4 if it is true. Insipred and annoying at the same time.

Count Down...

http://www.ibtimes.com/eve-sonys-big-pl ... rt-1095120

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 12:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

supposedly going to cost €320 - €350, which is quite a bit less than the PS3 launch price. I guess Sony learned from that.

Everyone's talking about PS4 vs mobile devices multiplayer, but I don't get what's so special about that. I mean, that has nothing to do with hardware. I bet someone could build a PS3 game that can set up networking communications with a mobile device already, except for the fact that Sony probably doesn't allow it, or the PSN platform limits a developer's possibilities in that area. So it's a matter of software, not hardware.

Supposedly it can stream PS3 games via GaiKai, which means you're streaming it from some remote server. This in turn means you will in no way get the same experience you'd get with a PS3 due to network lag and things. But here all the so-called "journalists" come and say that PS4 is backwards compatible with PS3 :dork:

Now that I think of it, all of the "leaked" features of the PS4 so far have been things related to software rather than hardware. The whole GaiKai thing is a software issue as well. PS3 could do the same thing, except that no one bothered to implement it for PS3. All things we've heard about hardware so far is that they'll be locking out used games. Yay for the next generation of consoles :rolleyes: I think I'll skip and go back to PC gaming with Steam big picture mode.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 12:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
A countdown to an announcment. Lol.
Marketing creates such baying whoreism. When will the dolphins take over?

I assume that if Valve came along and said "New L4D and HL:EP3 announcement in one week" you wouldn't take any notice or even speculate as to what might be happening and what the announcement might entail for the preceding week? Of course you would. You would also be wise to take interest in this as it will effect PC gaming more than you realise.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 12:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
supposedly going to cost €320 - €350, which is quite a bit less than the PS3 launch price. I guess Sony learned from that.

Everyone's talking about PS4 vs mobile devices multiplayer, but I don't get what's so special about that. I mean, that has nothing to do with hardware. I bet someone could build a PS3 game that can set up networking communications with a mobile device already, except for the fact that Sony probably doesn't allow it, or the PSN platform limits a developer's possibilities in that area. So it's a matter of software, not hardware.

Supposedly it can stream PS3 games via GaiKai, which means you're streaming it from some remote server. This in turn means you will in no way get the same experience you'd get with a PS3 due to network lag and things. But here all the so-called "journalists" come and say that PS4 is backwards compatible with PS3 :dork:

Now that I think of it, all of the "leaked" features of the PS4 so far have been things related to software rather than hardware. The whole GaiKai thing is a software issue as well. PS3 could do the same thing, except that no one bothered to implement it for PS3. All things we've heard about hardware so far is that they'll be locking out used games. Yay for the next generation of consoles :rolleyes: I think I'll skip and go back to PC gaming with Steam big picture mode.

Valve already have a thing with Sony and Steam...who is to say they have not gotten in at the ground level with this? It would make sense...

Agreed with the backwards compatibility thing too. It isn't backwards compatible. If it is true about the streaming you can’t play your current games with the PS4, you have to repurchase them or you’ll pay a subscription every month to play games you already have. Perhaps a novel way of “solving” the used games issues they see as ruining them?

And this is why this announcement is so interesting – it could dictate what happens with consoles and PCs...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 02:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

we'll see.
PS3 was a failure on many levels (tho not in sales). With a little luck they've learned from it and will make the PS4 as epix as the PS2.

Xbox has been going downhill lately, with bloatware added to the system with every update without showing promise of addressing the speedissues.
We'll see.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 07:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If they cheap out and only give it shitty specs then PC game developement will be stunted because more and more games will need to be scaled to work on next gen consoles.

Also you are bullshitting if you wouldn't wait on an annoucement of HL3/ L4D3 or some such game :)

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 07:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 07:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

playstation poor :olo: ...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 07:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/20/crytek-next-gen-consoles-pc/

Consoles have never been as good as top end PCs, but it is how much of a jump they are from the last generation is the thing. Will it be a top range PC from last year or 18 months ago? 6 months is a long time in PC dev terms

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 08:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
bitWISE wrote:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/20/crytek-next-gen-consoles-pc/

Consoles have never been as good as top end PCs, but it is how much of a jump they are from the last generation is the thing. Will it be a top range PC from last year or 18 months ago? 6 months is a long time in PC dev terms

Cevat Yerli has a point, but I don't see how his numbers add up. $2000 - $3000 worth of hardware? What? You can get a high end rig for less than $1000. Besides, consoles do have the advantage of the manufacturers not having to make any money on them. So they could sell $1000 of hardware for $700 and make up for it in game sales. That's how the business models for console manufacturers has been for ages.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 09:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Cevat Yerli has a point, but I don't see how his numbers add up. $2000 - $3000 worth of hardware? What? You can get a high end rig for less than $1000. Besides, consoles do have the advantage of the manufacturers not having to make any money on them. So they could sell $1000 of hardware for $700 and make up for it in game sales. That's how the business models for console manufacturers has been for ages.

There's high end rigs and there's quad-SLI rigs with enough ram to cache the entire game in memory. He is talking about the latter.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 11:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe, but that's not a viable target for your games. Companies like Epic and id Software, and of course Crytek have a history of targeting high end computers, but there's a limit to that as well. Can't go and build software that you can sell to no more than the 3 people that actually have the hardware to run it.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 12:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plz stop.

having an ultra setting in your game that most current pcs cant use just increases the longevity of the game engine, the game looks and plays well on lower settings. your argument is invalid.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this is exciting!

also if they combine a bunch of super hardware onto one card and make it in their own facilities, would that not cut out alot of markup associated with individual pieces thus making it significantly less expensive?

or am i just freaken?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm leery about that controller... And WTF is with not swapping the left analog stick and D-pad? :down:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 04:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

facestation 4

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 11:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, interesting specs capable of running Unreal 4 well and Sleeping Dogs (fuck you GKY). Supercharged PC with a separate processing unit for downloading which makes sense, far too much in the way of social networking.

Consensus - failure

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-20-2013 11:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watch Dogs.
Not having the actual console present makes me suspicious. Like, PS3 Killzone video suspicious. Apart from that, the usual. Better specs, supreme social capabilities, epic stuff you can do with friends all over the world etc. Oh and Facebook, cos everything needs Facebook.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-21-2013 12:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Xbox Xbox Xbox

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-21-2013 12:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Watch Dogs.

Yeah, that one.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-21-2013 12:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Xbox Xbox Xbox

Yeah, that one.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-21-2013 05:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nvidia graphics card tech demo vs Playstation 4 Panta Rhei real time game engine demo

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-21-2013 05:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-21-2013 06:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the Person of Interest factor in Watch Dogs is getting larger with every piece of footage they release btw.

oh, and ditch the // before all the gamemessages; it's very Assassin's Creed and it didn't work too well there either.
GKY make it happen

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-21-2013 06:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Watch Dogs [...] footage

link plz.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 02-21-2013 06:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.