Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Dead Space 4 canned

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Dead Space 4 canned

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not surprising really, since the higher-up dev morons in charge of the brand decided to forgo the tension and horror-based gameplay and turn the franchise into yet another mindless shooter.

Quote:
EA has ceased development on Dead Space 4 and effectively axed the series following lower than anticipated sales of Dead Space 3, VideoGamer.com has learned.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a source familiar with the unannounced project told VideoGamer.com that Dead Space 4 had been in pre-production at Visceral Games, with a small team at Visceral Montreal allegedly tasked with developing prototypes and mock-ups for the title, and collaborating on ideas for the game's narrative.

However, the project was cancelled after Dead Space 3 failed to meet its sales targets, our source claims, telling us that EA executives visited Visceral Montreal last month to inform staff that the project had been terminated and announce details of the company's restructuring.

Visceral Montreal is rumoured to have closed following the restructuring.

EA continues to suck

This franchise brought something sweet and somewhat original to gaming and it's sad to watch it fall victim to the vapid pursuit of profit at the cost of ruining an IP and killing a studio and loads of jobs...which has happened in the last decade more times than I wish to remember.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 08:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm still choking on the bitter pill from when they swallowed Westwood. Bunch of corporate whores :(

Still havn't played the 3rd one though so not like I helped, shame. Can't remember much of the 2nd but enjoyed the 1st

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In other news of EA's suckage, word is the Sim City reboot can't be accessed on launch. Not only is there a queue for single player, but it waits 30 minutes between connection attempts. :dork:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 08:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dont get me started about simcity.
launchday server problems are nothing new, but a game where your city gets fucked when another player decided to start a new game (and destroying his current city) is just waiting for a grieffest. oh, and if their servers are down you cant access your own city. gg

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 08:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 08:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Psyche911 wrote:
Not only is there a queue for single player, but it waits 30 minutes between connection attempts. :dork:

Any guesses as to whether or not your wait time between connection attempts can be shortened with "an easy one-time payment of $4.95"???

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 09:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

I'm guessing that's a bog-standard press release from EA simply to stop their share price from dropping. Does anyone actually believe a word of it? You know...considering Visceral Games' own former staff and EA themselves have confirmed the shutdown and layoffs?

Quote:
An EA representative has passed along the company's official statement on the layoffs.

Today EA internally announced some adjustments to select development teams to align staff and skills against priority growth areas, including new technologies and mobile. Many employees are being retrained for new positions; however a small number will be released. These are great, talented people and we wish them well. EA is growing globally, and we expect our headcount to increase this year.

EA also stressed that Visceral Redwood Shores, the flagship studio of Visceral Games and developer of Dead Space, has not been impacted by the layoffs, which has been a source of confusion on Twitter. In regards to Visceral Montreal, the representative stated the following: "EA Montreal is a key development studio where our long-term plan is to sharpen our teams' focus on consoles and mobile games."

EA can't even keep its lies straight.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

whoa, that's a lot of business-speak horseshit there

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Didn't Dead Space 3 just come out like a week ago? Of course they'll deny this. If people know the series is dead before they even bought this one, they might not bother.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 11:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dead Space 3 has sold less than 800,000 copies...which I'm pretty sure didn't surprise anyone, including EA. If EA hadn't figured out that Deep Space 3 would potentially flop just by the audience's reaction at E3 last year, then they're dumber than I imagined.

But I don't think they're dumb. I think they know every evil thing they do, which is why they suck so hard.

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 12:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Dead Space 3 has sold less than 800,000 copies...which I'm pretty sure didn't surprise anyone, including EA. If EA hadn't figured out that Deep Space 3 would potentially flop just by the audience's reaction at E3 last year, then they're dumber than I imagined.

But I don't think they're dumb. I think they know every evil thing they do, which is why they suck so hard.

800K is a bad number? I can't imagine they'd be shooting for Modern Warfare numbers with each new game.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 12:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, but 800k is a bad number for a "big" franchise

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 12:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They wanted 5 million sold as a "keep the franchise going" number.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They deserved 5 million sales. They deserve everyone's money.

At least that's the attitude they seem to have.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 01:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Remember when 5 years ago almost every game had a nasty brown monochromatic filter slapped on top because developers thought it was "OMG HD GFX"? That's what multiplayer/co-op modes have become.

Look at all the single player franchises that are suddenly trying to grab a piece of the online gaming pie. Mass Effect 3, Dead Space 3, and the new Tomb Raider now feature some tacky multiplayer mode which effectively takes away time and resources from perfecting the main story of the game itself. It's like developers these days are scared (or unable) to make great single player games worth playing so they think a generic co-op/deathmatch mode adds instant replay value and boosts sales. It's not all on the developers obviously, publishers like EA are the ones releasing generic games and acting shocked when their sales reflect that.

How long do people play the online portions of the Assassin's Creed games? Their servers are empty a week after launch.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 01:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
This franchise brought something sweet and somewhat original to gaming and it's sad to watch it fall victim to the vapid pursuit of profit at the cost of ruining an IP and killing a studio and loads of jobs...which has happened in the last decade more times than I wish to remember.

This is pretty much EA's contribution to gaming for almost a decade now. Find a studio with solid IP and a loyal fanbase, squeeze every penny out of it with generic sequels and turn the fans against it (Bioware anyone?), move on after the studio is in shambles and its staff have been fired.

EA is like a fucking parasite jumping host to host.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 01:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
[..]That's what multiplayer/co-op modes have become.

Look at all the single player franchises that are suddenly trying to grab a piece of the online gaming pie.

Very true, and you can add Uncharted, and God of War to that list as well.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 01:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Psyche911 wrote:
In other news of EA's suckage, word is the Sim City reboot can't be accessed on launch. Not only is there a queue for single player, but it waits 30 minutes between connection attempts. :dork:

Angry Sim fans are angray!

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:

This is pretty much EA's contribution to gaming for almost a decade now. Find a studio with solid IP and a loyal fanbase, squeeze every penny out of it with generic sequels and turn the fans against it (Bioware anyone?), move on after the studio is in shambles and its staff have been fired.

EA is like a fucking parasite jumping host to host.

Decade ?, I think it's how they started out and all they've ever done. If you take away EA sports (that just requires the imagination of purchasing image rights) I think you can count the games developed in house on half a hand ?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-05-2013 02:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/05/repor ... e-3-sales/

Quote:
Update 3: To further clarify, EA sent us an additional statement. "These rumours are patently false. While we have not released sales data for Dead Space 3, we are proud of the game and it continues to be an important IP to EA. Appreciate your help bringing down this baseless rumour."

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-07-2013 01:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-07-2013 01:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More info..

How rumors of Dead Space’s death may have been greatly exaggerated

Quote:
So where does the truth lie in this somewhat confusing back and forth? At this point, we have to believe EA's stringent denials, if for no other reason than the fact that responses of any kind to unsourced rumors like this are so incredibly rare. If there was even a chance that this was true, EA would have likely played it safe and stuck with the standard "no comment." Instead, the company ultimately risked its credibility by denying it.

So the question turns to who to blame for the whole fiasco. Was VideoGamer.com wrong to run its report based on such flimsy information? Did EA make its own bed by failing to get in front of the story when the site gave it the opportunity? Do the many sites that parroted the report without further checks hold any blame?....

...Graft acknowledged that it seems like one arm of EA's PR monolith didn't know what the other was doing in crafting the slow and confusing response to the story. But he noted that's no excuse for going with what seems like a wholly inaccurate report. For a story of this magnitude, Graft believes VideoGamer.com shouldn't have just relied on the say-so of one source that seems to have questionable ties to EA.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-08-2013 12:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More "journalism" that has turned out to be shit shocker.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 03-08-2013 05:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dead Space 3 was really excellent, btw

You're missing out if you don't want to play it

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-08-2013 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mmm is it? I picked up 2 in a steam sale but i didn't get into it.

As i recall i got rather irritated with it after an hour or two of play and never touched it again. Maybe it was the 'remember exactly what to do or die another helpless death' gameplay mechanic of which i am not a fan, maybe it was how all the horror bits were more funny than scary... dunno exactly :shrug:

PostPosted: 03-08-2013 06:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played it on hard from the start, I couldn't put it down until I finished it.

conversely, I haven't bothered finishing crysis 3, just got bored on the last couple missions. It started out pretty solid but it feels like they made the game backwards and then never polished up their original levels

thought I also stopped playing Batman: Arkham City after 3 hours because it started to feel like work and was stressing me out :owned:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-08-2013 07:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I finished Arkham City, was just about to start Game+ mode and then my save got corrupted. Never touched it again.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-08-2013 07:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arkham City was fun, but you're right...alot of it felt like busy work.

And I'm sorry but to me the original Dead Space is the only Dead Space.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-08-2013 07:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

real men 100%ed AC. and AA while they were at it

just sayin

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-08-2013 04:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...in one sitting

...pooping in a bucket

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-08-2013 06:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually did beat AA in one sitting. Stayed up all night. Not sure why, but I just couldn't put it down. Never touched it again.

Felt like shit the next day and really haven't been tempted to play it again or AC.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-08-2013 07:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Normal people don't do that.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 03-08-2013 08:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Video games. :olo:

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-08-2013 08:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Normal people don't do that.

Do normal people draw shit like this?

http://www.captainmazda.com/Digital-Illustration wrote:

:olo:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-09-2013 01:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't understand how that makes you any less of a pathetic 24-hour gaming freak but ok :olo:

:olo: page 2 torched :olo:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.