Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        UE4 engine (PS4)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: UE4 engine (PS4)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-26-2013 02:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/26/black ... s-in-moti/

Didn't think much of the first minute and thirty seconds of Primal Carnage then BAM...!

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-26-2013 04:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bleh.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-26-2013 04:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cool cut scene bro

UE4 looks like UE3, only now even darker with over 9000% more interior fogging

edit: oh i see it's a console game. of course it looks cliched and wank :idea:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-26-2013 10:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's going to be the very definition of the next generation's triple-A budget games: cliched and wank. Just with more polygons.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-26-2013 11:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes but look at the way the hair moves z0mgwtf!!!1111

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-26-2013 11:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

> lol 7 year old hardware, pc looks better
> new generation of hardware with cutting edge gfx
> lol who cares about gfx

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-27-2013 12:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-27-2013 12:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
> lol 7 year old hardware, pc looks better
> new generation of hardware with cutting edge gfx
> lol who cares about gfx

Yes, because that Killzone 4 demo was superduper revolutionary and absolutely not a textbook example of "increase polycounts and be done with it" :rolleyes:

Just compare that to something like the Transistor demo, and you'll see where the creativity lies.

Oh, and I'll be the last to fault the XBox 360 for being 7 year old hardware. I find that it can push out impressive graphics still, but more importantly, it offers enough processing power for artists to basically envision anything and more or less put that in their game. To me, good graphics aren't about more polygons, more shaders and more effects, they're about going for a visual style and making that work. Super Mario Bros 3 doesn't need hardware accelerated HD grahpics to still look superb in this day and age.

Where people who simply say "graphics don't matter" go wrong is that they kind of imply that the visuals of a game aren't important at all. The thing is, more processing power means greater freedom of visual creativity for artists. That's not always a pursuit for realism. Just take a look at this trailer for the game "140" (by the creator of Limbo). The grahpics are, on a technical level, not all that impressive, but the execution of the whole thing, the synching to the music and blending that with the gameplay is utterly brilliant. For me, that's what good graphics are about and not about teraflops and whatnot.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-27-2013 12:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

preaching to the choir here bromonculus. I just described a trend that I see around the interwebs. haters gon' hate.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-27-2013 02:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I am the only person who thought the lighting on this was rather good, then?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-27-2013 02:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your pretty head is missing the point. Yes, these games are pretty (but IMO not so pretty that I would say it is looking distinctly "next gen"), but my god does it all look generic, boring and completely uninspired.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-27-2013 03:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought it might have been more of a tech thing to show off how it looks rather than the sort of game play we can expect...after all, it is only 2 minutes long?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-27-2013 04:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah sure, but I see it and think "meh". Is this a game I would want to play? Probably not. Yet after seeing the 140 trailer, my interest for that game is piqued, just because it looks unlike anything I've played before.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-27-2013 07:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It looks impossible to play :F

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-27-2013 08:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The dino vid impressed me but I don't like how they cheated when it came to him actually breaking out.

This one looks incredible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... saq9O4pWPQ

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-27-2013 02:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^that's more like it.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-29-2013 10:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-29-2013 10:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

O.O

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-29-2013 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
The dino vid impressed me but I don't like how they cheated when it came to him actually breaking out.

This one looks incredible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... saq9O4pWPQ

bring on LOTR

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-29-2013 05:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/unreal-engine-4-infiltrator-video-tech-details/

OK more impressive...

Ignoring the improbability of this being sustainable under real playing conditions and the fact that daytime scenery is the holy grail for true displays of superiority in the field, this engine can easily pass as movie quality, graphically. In the sense that if you had pixar try to duplicate those exact scenes, They'd be hard pressed to make noticeable improvements. And that's a good place to be graphically...this is a graphically content level. Something that couldn't really be said till now.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-29-2013 09:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wonder how many more movies Pixar could make if they didn't have to spend so much time rendering... Just use UE4! :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-29-2013 10:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eh, don't kid youself. The Croods (DreamWorks' current animation movie) took 80,000,000 rendering hours to make. Note that this doesn't mean they actually spent 80 milllion hours on it, because they have a whole rendering farm which does concurrent things (3000 servers spanning 20,000 CPU's). But it is true that if you had your home desktop PC try to render The Croods, you'd spend well over 9 years to fully render it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-29-2013 10:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh I must say the video bitWise posted and the Infiltrator one are 100 times more impressive than those gameplay demos (especially the one with the dino, which, at the risk of sounfing like o'dium, was animated real poorly). Remains to be seen if we get such graphics in gamex though.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-29-2013 10:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FFS it's not as good as Pixar. Nerds.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-30-2013 02:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/29/unreal-engine-4-infiltrator-video-tech-details/

OK more impressive...

if you say so. it's shinier, PhysXier and z0mg polygonzz!!11one, but it essentially involves taking the cliches of the previous gen engine and exaggerating them even further: environments full of point and strip lights yet still somehow dark and gloomy and the customary indoor fog. didn't spot any lens flare, but i imagine that's in there too, along with view bobbing - neither of which are realistic but seem to be in everything these days

thing is, i enjoyed UT2/3 MP, but this looks wank

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-30-2013 04:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a tech demo, dearest.
Just another way it can be used, like the LOTRish one earlier

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-30-2013 04:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and there was me thinking the point of a tech demo was to show off an engine's strengths rather than its weaknesses

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-30-2013 05:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What would you say the weaknesses are from those tech demos?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-30-2013 05:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^

seremtan wrote:
environments full of point and strip lights yet still somehow dark and gloomy and the customary indoor fog

The bit about lighting should answer your question, Don Carlos. Also I thought fog went out with the PS1. It was used to hide graphical limitations; same in that tech demo?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-30-2013 05:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, because fog and smog don't exist IRL

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-30-2013 05:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"indoor"s? ...

Besides you can still see what's there in that pic, unlike the infamous PS1 fog.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-30-2013 06:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS, you don't know what you are talking about (as usual). Fog is not automatically occluding. Fog has a relatively high rendering cost on old engines and still impacts performance on modern ones. The only reason why fog was used on old engines was that they can use it to fully occlude objects in the distance with 100% opacity and therefore not draw them. The performance benefit of not drawing background objects is better than the performance loss of using fog, therefore the net benefit makes it worthwhile.

Here is how it works in Quake 3.
http://members.multimania.co.uk/quakero ... oghull.htm

If a bit of fog is there but you can still see through it, it has no occlusion properties and was added just for effect, and has a performance overhead. It does not "hide graphic limitations". I'm not sure if you're smart enough to understand any of this or if it just bounced off of the dozen or so brain cells you have floating in your cranium.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-30-2013 07:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my overall point was: games are looking more and more like movies rather than reality. in movies, the lens flares and the camera bobs. in reality, they (i.e. the eye/visual system) don't. in movies, areas with many light fittings set in the 'on' position are mysteriously dark and gloomy. in reality, they're well-lit. in movies, dry ice = 'atmosphere'. in reality, dry ice = Live at the Apollo

anyone remember those guys in the msm about 10 years ago saying that "photorealism in games is just around the corner"? what bollocks. the nearest thing i've seen in gaming recently that looks like it's trying to copy the 'real world' is the Arma 3 engine, and no one's jizzing their pants over that (and it still has lens flare :/)

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-30-2013 07:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Remember when the blocky, pixelated sprites in Doom were considered "so realistic"?

People r dumb, etc and their judgments of what constitutes "realistic" changes more often than Taylor Swift's boyfriends.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 03-30-2013 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More importantly:
I don't want games to look "real".
I want them to look like games.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.