Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Has man really walked on the moon?...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Has man really walked on the moon?...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-09-2013 05:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Obsidian, I did not overlook any of the above points in making my post... strictly speaking , the subject matter was taking man to mars and all that would entail. Which is alot.. so the end result must be worth something substantial.

And I have no clue who Weyland-Yutani is.. so I'm not sure if i should be offended or not.

PRO TIP: I don't like simply regurgitating facts as conversation. If I wanted to do that, I could just go read a more informed source...Learn to accept some tangents off the main path from my posts...bordering on philosophical tendencies. If you can accept that you'll enjoy what i have to share.
If you're strictly interested in hard facts, you're destined for frustration.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-09-2013 05:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

"require authorization and continuing supervision by the appropriate State Party to the Treaty"

yeah, like how big oil is supervised right now? shit like that isn't honored on land.. let alone in space.

"The Moon Treaty of 1979 was meant to be the follow-up to the Outer Space Treaty, but failed to be ratified by any major space-faring nation such as those capable of reaching space orbit."

lol you don't say.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-09-2013 05:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
And I have no clue who Weyland-Yutani is.. so I'm not sure if i should be offended or not.

You didn't Google it? Not even the first link?

Fuckin fag.

Weyland-Yutani has been "Building Better Worlds" © for quite some time now. They call it a "Shake 'N Bake" colony...takes decades.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 04-09-2013 06:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can get there by an express elevator to hell that mostly comes at night, mostly

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 04-09-2013 06:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

You didn't Google it? Not even the first link?

Fuckin fag.

Weyland-Yutani has been "Building Better Worlds" © for quite some time now. They call it a "Shake 'N Bake" colony...takes decades.

Nope , didn't google it., but FU for making me have to.

K googled. so apparently these guys know how it's done! but that bit about Weyland-Yutani not doing it so much for profit is odd. Maybe that's the next step up from economic domination. Maybe their 'hierarchy of needs' pyramid has added layers. That's some next level shit.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-09-2013 06:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fisted.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-09-2013 09:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian, you're forgetting one quite important issue, which I think is the main hurdle when it cones to exploring mars. It's relatively easy to land people on mars, but currently it's damn near impossible getting them back to Earth. So a trip to mars is one-way. That's a bit of an ethical discussion as well.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-09-2013 09:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ethical how? I guarantee there are people who would jump at the chance to go to Mars knowing it'd be one way.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-09-2013 09:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I posted a topic about that already:

Quote:
The man behind the private space project dubbed Mars One is looking for people to travel to Mars, but he's not offering a return ticket.

"The technology to get humans to Mars and keep them alive there exists... the technology to bring humans from Mars back to Earth simply does not exist yet."

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48938

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-09-2013 09:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali, it's just that your speculations are so fantastical and wide off the mark that it in no way can be taken seriously. And even if we condense it to just the point that you need some mega corporation to bring people to Mars, we find that's nonsense. You don't. I guess a case can be made for the point that a mission to Mars is impossible to be profitable, but since when has space exploration been about monetary profit. But even so, current privately funded space programs are finding ways to monetize it (starting with Richard Branson's tourist trips to the edge of our planet's atmosphere). Also, NASA's budget isn't astronomically large anyway. The Mars-One mission is hoping to (partly) fund the whole thing through selling television rights to what you could describe as the mission wrapped into a space reality soap television show. So you see, the real world is way ahead of your ramblings, which means there actually is tangible proof that your speculations are wrong.

Last edited by Eraser on 04-09-2013 09:34 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-09-2013 09:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

Quote:
The man behind the private space project dubbed Mars One is looking for people to travel to Mars, but he's not offering a return ticket.

"The technology to get humans to Mars and keep them alive there exists... the technology to bring humans from Mars back to Earth simply does not exist yet."

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=48938

Yeah it's a totally different thread though :p
It's worth repeating in this discussion.

Last edited by Eraser on 04-09-2013 09:33 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-09-2013 09:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EtUL wrote:
Ethical how? I guarantee there are people who would jump at the chance to go to Mars knowing it'd be one way.

It was a bit of a devil's advocate statement, becaue I think people should go if they want to, but I guess there will be people who object to something like that. People who go on the mission will potentially die of something that, if exposed to on Earth, wouldn't kill them.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 04-10-2013 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

let's just send scared? to mars if it's one way

i'm positive noone will miss her

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-10-2013 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

good idea. finally he could be the richest man on the planet

also the poorest :olo:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 04-10-2013 03:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
obsidian, you're forgetting one quite important issue, which I think is the main hurdle when it cones to exploring mars. It's relatively easy to land people on mars, but currently it's damn near impossible getting them back to Earth. So a trip to mars is one-way. That's a bit of an ethical discussion as well.

obsidian wrote:

Quote:

I'm a little skeptical of this, in our lifetime anyway. I thought one of the bigger issues with traveling from Earth to Mars is that our orbits are only close enough once every 18 months or so and supporting life long enough for a return window isn't feasible, so why would sustaining life for 18+ months no longer be an issue and now raising the problem of a return journey ?. There's more to my reasoning, like how plants/humans cope outside our gravity or how technology reacts to radioactive anomalies in space or how the majority of shit Mars bound still never makes it. I just feel if they can sustain life on Mars then it'd be pretty easy in comparison to arrange a return journey and if life could have been sustained on Mars NASA would have been the 1st to find out with access to the ISS, which took the worlds effort many years to slot together on our front door step and would already be running a ferry service.

To me it stinks a bit of someone selling land on the moon. Have they said anything like where they plan to generate the power for the large amounts of vegetation to create food ? cos Mars only receives 1% of the light Earth does, or even where they plan to find the space to grow this shit ?. I am intrigued as I have no idea but anyone who smokes weed knows that shit doesn't grow as fast as you can consume it if all you have is a closet and if they're landing spaces larger it wouldn't be hard to land a few tanks of gas, you'd only need 40% of what you would on earth n all if you exclude the atmosphere.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-10-2013 11:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The problem is the fuel you need to get back. You may notice how huge rockets are. 95% of that is fuel to escape the Earth's gravity. All that fuel is burned up and the tanks holding the fuel are ejected when empty. All this sheds weight so the thing can keep going up. If they have to take along fuel for a return trip as well, there's no way the rocket can launch from Earth. With the moon it's less of a problem because it's gravity is less than half that of Mars.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 04-10-2013 11:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but you forgot it's texas, where everything is bigger, except scared?

and if we ship scared?, who gives a flying fuck. :D

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 04-11-2013 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
The problem is the fuel you need to get back. You may notice how huge rockets are. 95% of that is fuel to escape the Earth's gravity. All that fuel is burned up and the tanks holding the fuel are ejected when empty. All this sheds weight so the thing can keep going up. If they have to take along fuel for a return trip as well, there's no way the rocket can launch from Earth. With the moon it's less of a problem because it's gravity is less than half that of Mars.

I get that like, I was saying that if they're landing spaces larger than the ISS modules with frequency, which they would have to, then sending fuel wouldn't be a problem IMO. Even if they just remove the astronauts and all the equipment needed to keep them alive then you have just shed a ton of weight for a fuel load. Removing all over factors (like atmosphere / lunar positioning) then technically you would not need much more than double of the moon missions fuel to escape Mars orbit, so unless they're expecting the astronauts to live in cardboard boxes I can't see why it;s a problem.

That's just one idea n all, I know NASAs plans were to dock with items already in orbit (like research / fuel modules) then making the return journey to Mars, but sustaining life through research at the space stations has shown that traveling is the easy part when compared to sustaining life, which I still think we can't do. This is without saying that a plant has never been grown on Mars and only ever within our orbit so how they can claim that the technology is exists sounds like a sales pitch. I'm very interested how they solved the power consumption n all as NASA hate sending solar powered vehicles to Mars, the efficiency is bad without including the lack of sunlight Mars receives cos it has an atmosphere and why Spirit and Opportunity were at the limits of their technology with the solar panels almost doubling their size.

How the fuck are they landing anyone or anything ?, parachutes are useless with rockets being big and risky

Last edited by losCHUNK on 04-11-2013 06:44 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 04-11-2013 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Soon as they figure out how to grow plants im gonna be a motherfucking spaaaaace maaaaan

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-11-2013 09:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

all that giant Martian weed...

420 EVERY DAY

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-11-2013 09:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good thing gravity on mars is so low, because a few grams of Mary J is a boatload of weed on Earth :)

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 04-11-2013 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:ducky: , Zero G dealing ftl :(

NASA should get me to run shit. For a start I'd of fitted spirit and opportunity with guns then had an interplanetry edition of Robot Wars as hosted by David Lister :D

That'd have those punters funding my bus mission to pluto, short sighted assholes... I'd declare war on the military too

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-10-2015 06:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I started reading this thread then I saw GKY, and I knew I'd been had :dts:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-11-2015 12:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
:smirk:

lol

Same point being made here, but serious:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-11-2015 02:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A really good video. Thank you Eraser :up:

I actually saw some Moon rock, firstly about 40 years ago :smirk: when it was taken on tour and more recently at Tidbinbilla.

The Canberra Deep Space Communication Centre

The rock was on display in the Visitor Centre and it was well worth the drive if only to view the the largest antenna complex in the southern hemisphere.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 11-11-2015 09:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm convinced that there are two different human species on earth right now.

1st you've got the geoff types and then you've got the humans who are smart enough to go to the moon etc.

A few more generations and people will be free of the texas morans*

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-11-2015 10:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Still waiting on the undisputed proof we went to the moon... Sorry chumps... Blurry pixels don't count...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-12-2015 04:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

proof will always be disputed by morons

QED

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-20-2015 07:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
when they say "focus on Mars" they mean send more paris airport car service orbital satellites and unmanned surface vehicles. there's no way NASA is ever going to lead a project to send humans to Mars, not when America can only afford to spend $700bn on the military and couldn't possibly spare any pennies for space adventures

Yes that's true!!

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-20-2015 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ban this moron ^^^...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-20-2015 08:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
Ban this moron ^^^...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-20-2015 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow, a whole new kind of paris airport car service spam posting

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.