Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        scotch ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: scotch ?

plained
plained
PostPosted: 07-23-2013 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what do you all think about it.

a short time ago i bought a bottle of johnny red, mostly because i had no idea what to select.

i thought it was nice.

so i bought a johnny black to see what the fuss was about. I thought it was very nice!

i know there are many other brands available.

what do you guys think about scotch and what are your experiences with the various brands?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-23-2013 09:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dark Metal is a scotch guy, talk to him

I'm a brandy guy

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-23-2013 09:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's shit...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-23-2013 10:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 07-23-2013 10:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like black. Red will do in a pinch though.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 07-23-2013 11:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol gay ppl...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-23-2013 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
I like black. Red will do in a pinch though.

I bought a bottle of Red years ago as a Christmas present. The buggers didn't front up so I still have it in its little presentation (pun) gift bag. It is now the 'eternal Christmas present', goes under the tree every year for that unexpected visitor :smirk:

Personally I don't drink the stuff :)

I used to drink Bundaberg rum and that wasn't a bad prop at all.

Wiki

plained
plained
PostPosted: 07-23-2013 05:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

really ey no scotch super-monkeys here?

holy mackerals scotch is gay? had i known i would have started up on it years ago!

i am unbelievabled ! there is always poster here that knows whats up, and i dont mean copy paste bollocks!

i mean q3w leetness!

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-23-2013 05:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

J&B, Glennfiddich, Famous Grouse, Jonnie Walker, Regal, Moray ?

if you're feeling really pikey we can grab a bottle of Teachers and Bells for 5 squid :up:

No blacks

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-23-2013 07:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 07-23-2013 07:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have 43 different single malts and blends in my collection right now, including 6 Johnnie Walker "colours".

The oldest single malt I currently have is 27 years old.

So yeah, I love scotch.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-23-2013 10:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glenlivet is tasty too!

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 07-24-2013 06:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i like the glenfiddich 18yr. was never partial to the walker red. i've been drinking more bourbon than scotch lately though.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-24-2013 08:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was at a house party last weekend and someone got me to try Monkey Shoulder. Normally I hate scotch but that stuff was tolerable..I didn't want to spit it out. :up:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 07-24-2013 08:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love Laphroaig!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-24-2013 11:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not much of a scotch fiend but I do enjoy a glass from time to time. Caol Ila is a nice one. Irish whiskey is good too... Friend of mine has a pretty lethal collection of various whiskys. I prefer vodka :shrug:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-24-2013 11:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dark Metal wrote:
I have 43 different single malts and blends in my collection right now, including 6 Johnnie Walker "colours".

So yeah, I love scotch.

How's that 27 year taste?

plained
plained
PostPosted: 07-25-2013 11:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok thx from the replys , yes like i said ive seen the various brands as mentioned.

I'm seeing you there dm with your collection !

I would like to ask a few questions if you dont mind, i havnt done any people asking and i havnt done any internet research on it either.

I know scotch has many mega-critical fans, i'm not like that, i'm just checking it out and deciding how i feel about it you know?

first a little bit about my alcohol uses.

I only ever 1 - 1/2 drinks max unless its a once in a while situation or some such.

i have been usually drinking vodka straight up and got bored so i decided to try sctoch.

like i found the red experience like drinking kind of a "man booze perfume" if that makes any sence, it seemes to have tobaco'e smokey leathery, everything like that type, the flavor fills my mouth and just kinda lingers there.

the black to me was very different, its flavour seemes less gimmicky and more pure , ie: to me less sugary? and the flavor did not linger at all, it just kind of rapidly recedes into itself , its really novel !

now my questions to you is about what i read on bottles.

single malt? blended? whats that about ey

new, aged and more aged? why what?

and lastly maybe some anecdotes and sentiments about your own passion for scotch!

not canned copy paste bollock i want your take ey

I am not judging you or trolling you, its just a current mini passion i'm trying and i like only personal special insights ey

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-25-2013 12:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dark Metal wrote:

So yeah, I love scotch.

Any Talisker in that list of yours?

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 07-25-2013 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:

aging is important for quite a few liquors... anything brown, really. before aging they're all essentially the same - some source of sugar (grain, sugar cane, potato, agave, etc) fermented and distilled. if you stop there you have your various white liquors: vodka, light rum, light tequila. you can throw in some herbs and have gin or various schnapps (don't).

once you throw it in a barrel for a while it will take on color (brown) and flavor (various) from the wood (and/or whatever was previously in the barrel... i've had some nice scotch that was aged in port barrels). longer aging in theory means more flavor, smoother flavor, and more expensive.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 07-25-2013 07:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
Dark Metal wrote:

So yeah, I love scotch.

How's that 27 year taste?

It's excellent. Distilled in 1976. Its a Speyside, which is my second favourite region. I've been holding on to the last couple of drams for a while, just so I can have a sip or two as long as possible.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 07-25-2013 08:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
ok thx from the replys , yes like i said ive seen the various brands as mentioned.

I would like to ask a few questions if you dont mind, i havnt done any people asking and i havnt done any internet research on it either.

I know scotch has many mega-critical fans, i'm not like that, i'm just checking it out and deciding how i feel about it you know?

I only ever 1 - 1/2 drinks max unless its a once in a while situation or some such.

i have been usually drinking vodka straight up and got bored so i decided to try sctoch.

like i found the red experience like drinking kind of a "man booze perfume" if that makes any sence, it seemes to have tobaco'e smokey leathery, everything like that type, the flavor fills my mouth and just kinda lingers there.

the black to me was very different, its flavour seemes less gimmicky and more pure , ie: to me less sugary? and the flavor did not linger at all, it just kind of rapidly recedes into itself , its really novel !

and lastly maybe some anecdotes and sentiments about your own passion for scotch!

I am not judging you or trolling you, its just a current mini passion i'm trying and i like only personal special insights ey

Re: Red vs. Black: Theres a huge difference between the two, but frankly you're overpaying compared to the other options available. That being said I'm still a fan of both. Black is my favourite "sipping" Whiskey, a drink you can have a couple of and really enjoy, without being too complex or overpowering in any way. Sometime I like to put about 1/8th of an oz of Drambuie with it to add a little honey sweetness to it.

I prefer most of my Whiskeys coldish, achieved with a medium sized ice cube. For single malts I prefer r/o water for the ice as it helps taste the range of flavours without adding any other tastes.

As far as the labels and ages on single malts, I suggest looking up the different regions and their general attributes for basic flavours then try each to decide if you have a preference. I won't turn anything down, however Islay's are my favourite. Smokey, peaty, earthy.

The great thing about Scotch right now is its to easy to try such a variety. Figure out what your palette prefers by trying a bunch.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 07-25-2013 08:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Dark Metal wrote:

So yeah, I love scotch.

Any Talisker in that list of yours?

Yes. 18yr old.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 07-25-2013 08:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
I love Laphroaig!

Me too. I have a 10 year old and quarter cask.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-25-2013 08:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuckin alcoholic.

Prolly got raped in the drunk tank and trying to drown his anal-tearing memories in booze. So sad.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 07-25-2013 08:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Woah bro, you're projecting.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-25-2013 10:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dark Metal wrote:
Re: Red vs. Black: Theres a huge difference between the two, but frankly you're overpaying compared to the other options available. That being said I'm still a fan of both. Black is my favourite "sipping" Whiskey, a drink you can have a couple of and really enjoy, without being too complex or overpowering in any way. Sometime I like to put about 1/8th of an oz of Drambuie with it to add a little honey sweetness to it.

I prefer most of my Whiskeys coldish, achieved with a medium sized ice cube. For single malts I prefer r/o water for the ice as it helps taste the range of flavours without adding any other tastes.

As far as the labels and ages on single malts, I suggest looking up the different regions and their general attributes for basic flavours then try each to decide if you have a preference. I won't turn anything down, however Islay's are my favourite. Smokey, peaty, earthy.

The great thing about Scotch right now is its to easy to try such a variety. Figure out what your palette prefers by trying a bunch.

Suddenly I have a craving for a glass.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's how it starts...

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 09:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On whisky related subject - I recommend giving "Raw Spirit" by Iain Banks a read.
Quote:
As a native of Scotland, bestselling author Iain Banks has decided to undertake a tour of the distilleries of his homeland in a bid to uncover the unique spirit of the single malt. Visiting some of the world's most famous distilleries and also some of its smallest and most obscure ones, Banks embarks on a journey of discovery which educates him about the places, people and products surrounding the centuries-old tradition of whisky production. Using various modes of transport - ferries to the islands, cars across the highlands, even bicycles between bus stops - Banks' tour of Scotland combines history, literature and landscape in an entertaining and informative account of an exploration in which the arrival is by no means the most important part of the journey.

As well as being informative about his whisky self-education, it's a good read because it's written by Iain Banks :)

plained
plained
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 09:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dark Metal wrote:
plained wrote:

ey thx for your insights

when i went to purchase i scanned the prices and they generally said 25-30 or 50-60$ (and a few outside those ranges as well)so i figured i'd start withe the regular 30$ kind first so i would see later if i could tell an improvement, in the back of my mind that may be why i chose johnny , because i would compare those to for value using my absolute total newb status.

but yea black all day over the red ! i'm not a rich guy so i certainly wont be mr.black exclusively!

I would like to find a 30$ kind thats more "black like" to me that means less sweet , more defined, and less lingering flavor.

also i just drink it straight up and i wont be changing that as far as i can tell, yea it may not be right, but its why i went to spirits, i like the taste, smell, and feeling of straight up.

i will keep my eye open for Islay brands to check out!

plained
plained
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 09:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vesp wrote:
On whisky related subject - I recommend giving "Raw Spirit" by Iain Banks a read.
Quote:
As a native of Scotland, bestselling author Iain Banks has decided to undertake a tour of the distilleries of his homeland in a bid to uncover the unique spirit of the single malt. Visiting some of the world's most famous distilleries and also some of its smallest and most obscure ones, Banks embarks on a journey of discovery which educates him about the places, people and products surrounding the centuries-old tradition of whisky production. Using various modes of transport - ferries to the islands, cars across the highlands, even bicycles between bus stops - Banks' tour of Scotland combines history, literature and landscape in an entertaining and informative account of an exploration in which the arrival is by no means the most important part of the journey.

As well as being informative about his whisky self-education, it's a good read because it's written by Iain Banks :)

eey thank you that looks awesome i love reading!

plained
plained
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 09:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
plained wrote:

aging is important for quite a few liquors... anything brown, really. before aging they're all essentially the same - some source of sugar (grain, sugar cane, potato, agave, etc) fermented and distilled. if you stop there you have your various white liquors: vodka, light rum, light tequila. you can throw in some herbs and have gin or various schnapps (don't).

once you throw it in a barrel for a while it will take on color (brown) and flavor (various) from the wood (and/or whatever was previously in the barrel... i've had some nice scotch that was aged in port barrels). longer aging in theory means more flavor, smoother flavor, and more expensive.

lots of good info there thanks menkent

its brown because of the barrel! :ducky: i did not know!

plained
plained
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 09:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ey whats the story on single malt vs blends

whats the stories there?

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A "Single Malt" is just the malt whisky product of a single distillery, using their particular whisky creation process.

A blend is just that -a blended bottle of "Single Malts" (and other additions to adjust flavour) from more than one distillery.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 07-26-2013 05:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Islay isn't a brand. Its one of the 4 Scotch regions.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.