Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Maps of Racial Segregation in North America

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Maps of Racial Segregation in North America

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 05:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol, racism.

Detroit's 8 Mile Road cuts a line like the Berlin Wall.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 05:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

K

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 05:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry, but no one cares about Detroit. It's a lost cause...

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 06:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

actually this is not a result of racism but only of a slight bias in your choice of a neighbourhood.

According to Schelling's segregation model if the average person only wants slightly above 50% of their neighbourhood to be like themselves, you end up with a huge segregation after while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFl3Cfw12bo

(read "is not" as "is most propably not")

Last edited by Pext on 08-30-2013 06:18 AM, edited 3 times in total.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 06:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who wants to live somewhere with shitty schools and brown ppl?...

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 06:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Another remark on the model i linked to:

If people are heavily racist and want most of their neighbourhood to be like them these segregation lines like the 8 mile road do not occur. So you might reverse the implication and get to the statement that people are actually rather tolerant.

(The statement "racism-> no segregation" is equivalent to "segreation -> no racism").

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 06:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not calling the writer wrong, but I think it's worth noting that a fully integrated society is not necessarily going to be a society with an even distribution of the various races per geometric unit. People of different cultures are going to cluster together because that's part of how culture and customs work. Culture, for better or worse, tends to tie into our perception of our own race, so there's a sizable, though far from total, correlation between the two, a correlation that probably won't just fade into the wind as racial relations improve.

Integration shouldn't be a mission to eliminate the differences between different cultures, it should be an ongoing effort to maintain healthy communication and mobility between such groups. If people don't cluster around some kind of shared interest or heritage or other important thing, then you have a monoculture, which sounds boring as balls.

Don't get me wrong, there's still a lot of segregation and room for improvement, segregation is still a big problem that's forced on people in a thousand large and small ways. The article is right to say that the distributions as they stand today indicate something to fix as time goes on.

:up:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 07:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What I found really interesting was how unpopulated the West was compared to the East. Populations cluster in cities in the West, with vast swathes of unpopulated country.

For someone from the UK, which is getting to the stage where you can't swing a cat without hitting some fucker, seeing so much open space is an eye-opener.

I also found myself wondering how much of this "segregation" is historical and to some extent traditional; for example, I'm sure a similar map of London would show some similar patterns, such as the traditional Asian community in Soho/Chinatown.

Like pext and obsidian's quoted commenter, I think using the terms race and segregation creates a flashpoint in the article.
While I jokingly posted the link under the Q3W meme "Lol, racism", I understand that these patterns are more likely due to cultural bias than active racism. But at the same time, there are areas where historic racism will be the cause of any patterns of segregation.

Still, it's a series of incredibly intriguing and provocative images.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 08:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol black ppl...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 08:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
actually this is not a result of racism but only of a slight bias in your choice of a neighbourhood.

According to Schelling's segregation model if the average person only wants slightly above 50% of their neighbourhood to be like themselves, you end up with a huge segregation after while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFl3Cfw12bo

(read "is not" as "is most propably not")

My assumption, communities enjoy sticking together :up:

Unless people are being refused houses based on ethnicity which is not something that I hear talked about, plenty of stories about how people get forced out if they don't fit in though :shrug:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Sorry, but no one cares about Detroit. It's a lost cause...

i care about it ey

soooo much awesome has come out of there

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 09:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
What I found really interesting was how unpopulated the West was compared to the East. Populations cluster in cities in the West, with vast swathes of unpopulated country.

For someone from the UK, which is getting to the stage where you can't swing a cat without hitting some fucker, seeing so much open space is an eye-opener.

That's largely because of climate. A lot of the unpopulated land is just desert. Even Los Angeles borders on being one. It's not like there's lots of room to live. Everyone lives in the cities because there's no other choice, really.

Now, if you want to drive a few hundred miles, there's some great national parks like Yosemite. If that's the "open space" you're looking for, it does exist. Can't live there though.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 09:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Psyche911 wrote:
Mat Linnett wrote:

That's largely because of climate. A lot of the unpopulated land is just desert. Even Los Angeles borders on being one. It's not like there's lots of room to live. Everyone lives in the cities because there's no other choice, really.

Now, if you want to drive a few hundred miles, there's some great national parks like Yosemite. If that's the "open space" you're looking for, it does exist. Can't live there though.

I would imagine it's land you can expand into ?, not so much the deserts. I think the same way as Mat when I see the huge open spaces of Africa and some of America, Russia. In the UK you probably could get put in the most unpopulated region and still be half a days walk from a road. Even the forests in America I imagine you could get lost in for weeks ?, the deserts you'll end up dead ?.

100 miles in any direction from London will have you see most of the UK and part of Europe lol.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 10:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
I would imagine it's land you can expand into ?, not so much the deserts. I think the same way as Mat when I see the huge open spaces of Africa and some of America, Russia. In the UK you probably could get put in the most unpopulated region and still be half a days walk from a road. Even the forests in America I imagine you could get lost in for weeks ?, the deserts you'll end up dead ?.

100 miles in any direction from London will have you see most of the UK and part of Europe lol.

Again, climate.

The following has been adjusted for Celsius, because fuck our retarded measurement systems: You may not like your rain, but the UK it seems to me has some of the most consistent weather and livable temperatures. Not too cold, not too hot. Your average temperature doesn't change more than 20C all year long. An average high of 21C? It's always over 38C in the summer here and I'm only 15 miles inland. This summer you guys were just having ~30C temps and close to 1000 people died. People can not live in the conditions in these places we're talking about without AC running 24/7. Forests, lol. Trees can't live in this shit.

Or you could go up to Montana where it's -12C for the average low compared to your 1C.

This is why everyone flocks to the coast out west. The ocean gives much more stable temperatures. Sure, you can move inland. But it sucks. A lot.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 10:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's quite cool - cheers

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 10:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada...a city smack-dab in the middle of the North American continent with no large, deep body of water to moderate the temperature.

Average summer high = 25 C to 30 C with extremes all the way up to 40 C.

Average winter low = -25 C to -30 C with extremes all the way down to -40 C.

That's a temperature range between 50 - 80 fucking degrees Celsius.

Yes...it's definitely more "liveable" on the coast and is probably the main reason all the top ranked cities to live in are on coastlines or near large, deep bodies of water.

It's hot or cold in Winnipeg, no matter what race you are.

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 08-31-2013 06:50 AM, edited 1 time in total.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't even consider Canada for that. I have a friend in Alberta and I remember years ago she telling me how there's some kind of weather rating system for how many minutes a person can live outside because of how cold it gets. :olo:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-30-2013 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
That's quite cool - cheers

Yep :up:. Was thinking of Montana when I mentioned forests n all :smirk:

Cheers both

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-31-2013 06:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Psyche911 wrote:
Yeah, I didn't even consider Canada for that. I have a friend in Alberta and I remember years ago she telling me how there's some kind of weather rating system for how many minutes a person can live outside because of how cold it gets. :olo:

lol dumb yanks are dumb. You remind me of the retard I met in California who actually believed Canadians lived in igloos and drove around on Skidoos.

The "weather rating system" your friend speaks of to measure "how many minutes a person can live outside because of how cold it gets in Canada" is called the wind chill factor, which is actually a way of guestimating how many minutes a person can be outside before frostbite begins affecting exposed skin. Frostbite is bad, yeah, but not as bad as death.

lol "people living outside in winter"....how retarded is that notion. lol?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-31-2013 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Everyone hates black ppl :olo: ...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.