Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Motorsport fans...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Motorsport fans...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 08:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tomorrow I travel to Belgium. Thursday I spend 9 hours hooning several cars around Spa Francorchamps.

This is a good week <3

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 08:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My favorite track. :up:

Have a great time....fucker. Picts or you suck, etc.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 08:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you know what cars you'll be driving? If so a list of them with pics would be aprreciated :)

Is your neck strong enough to handle the cornering forces, or won't you be driving cars that are fast enough for that to be an issue?

Good for you for getting to do this, I'd like to do something like that myself some day.
How much is it costing? You paying for it yourself or is it a gift from someone? If it's a gift I wouldn't expect you to know how much it cost :)

Have fun and don't die in a fire :olo:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 09:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GFY - There will be pictures and videos. Lots of videos...

DTS - £400 including travel (fuel and channel tunnel) and a place to stay. I will be driving around in a Clio 172 Sport (with racing mods) and an Exocet with a 220bhp super charged MX5 engine in. I might snag a go in a Nissan GT-R (if it makes it over) and a Nissan 350Z (if they are brave enough to let me)

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 09:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Too bad there's no F1 or F3000 car you can test out. I'd gladly pay an extra £1000 per fucking lap if it was available. ;)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 09:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is an awesome video!!! I expect to be in third gear if I am lucky going up there...

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 09:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

DTS - £400 including travel (fuel and channel tunnel) and a place to stay. I will be driving around in a Clio 172 Sport (with racing mods) and an Exocet with a 220bhp super charged MX5 engine in. I might snag a go in a Nissan GT-R (if it makes it over) and a Nissan 350Z (if they are brave enough to let me)

The 350Z is actually pretty friendly when pushed hard if you've got a nice set of tires (unless theirs has some crazy mods).

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 09:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:

The 350Z is actually pretty friendly when pushed hard if you've got a nice set of tires (unless theirs has some crazy mods).

The Exocet is similar to a Lotus 7, right? That should be the most fun you'll ever have with 4 wheels. I'm jealous. Very, very jealous.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 10:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Super jealous dude, that's silverstone right? I may have to make this trip at some point in the future.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 10:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Super jealous dude, that's silverstone right?

Don Carlos wrote:
Spa Francorchamps

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 12:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

quality dude, one of my fav grids n all,. Hope it doesn't rain ;) :up:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pretty sweet

rain would be appropriate

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 02:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It will rain - I have no doubt it will happen

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Super jealous dude, that's silverstone right? I may have to make this trip at some point in the future.

Thankfully you'll never be anywhere near a performance car.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 10:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tell me if rivage is as long as it seems. Also I think blanchemont would be the worst....ppl talk about eau rouge and it is cool, but in your cars i'd think it'd just a bit of a lift off.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 10:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't want to be a spoilsport here, but I'd curb your enthusiasm for a while. I'm not sure if this is the same sort of arrangement, but there's similar events here in the Netherlands on the circuit of Zandvoort (and perhaps Assen as well), but what they do is they let you drive in those sports cars, but you're lead by a pacecar which goes frustratingly slow. You're driving with a bunch of peeps in the same type of car all in a row. Overtaking is not allowed and you aren't allowed to drop gaps bigger than like 20 meters or so (so tailing behind and then pressing the throttle down to get a nice feel for the acceleration is a big no no). They're not letting you go all out pedal-to-the-metal race style. Even their "drifting experience" is nothing more than you riding shotgun while some race driver does the drifting. They also let you go like 2 laps per car.

For your sake I hope this arrangement is nothing like that, but if I were you I'd look into that before picturing yourself blasting through those corners like a maniac.

Last edited by Eraser on 10-09-2013 12:25 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-08-2013 11:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oddly enough, they let you do full throttle on the public road with a hired lambo if you want to.
friend of mine did that a few weeks back. he expected that there would be a billion limitations but the dude said "nah bro, do whatever you want. just don't crash".
only cost him like 50 euros for half an hour.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-09-2013 07:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Don't want to be a spoilsport here, but I'd curb your enthusiasm for a while. I'm not sure if this is the same sort of arrangement, but there's similar events here in the Netherlands on the circuit of Zandvoort (and perhaps Assen as well), but what they do is they let you drive in those sports cars, but you're lead by a pacecar which goes frustratingly slow. You're driving with a bunch of peeps in the same type of car all in a row. Overtaking is not allowed and you aren't allowed to drop gaps bigger than like 20 meters or so (so tailing behind and then pressing the throttle down to get a nice feel for the acceleration is a big no no). They're not letting you go all out pedal-to-the-metal race style. Even their "drifting experience" is nothing more than you riding shotgun while some race driver does the drifting. They also let you go like 2 laps per car.

For your sake I hope this arrangement is nothing like that, but if I were you I'd look into that before picturing yourself blasting through those corners like a maniac.

Ugh. A truly serious question: who would pay money for something so awful and disappointing and how are they still in business?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-09-2013 08:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

Cars are privately owned. You break it, it's a long walk home.

I wouldn't sign up to that shit

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-09-2013 08:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

What's stopping you from driving like a lunatic ?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-09-2013 11:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
oddly enough, they let you do full throttle on the public road with a hired lambo if you want to.
friend of mine did that a few weeks back. he expected that there would be a billion limitations but the dude said "nah bro, do whatever you want. just don't crash".
only cost him like 50 euros for half an hour.

I guess it has a lot to do with insurance. Good luck getting your car insured when it's going to be driven on a track by complete strangers. The car your friend rented stayed on public roads and abided traffic laws (on paper, namsayn).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-09-2013 12:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Ugh. A truly serious question: who would pay money for something so awful and disappointing and how are they still in business?

Dunno. It thrives on human gullability I guess.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-09-2013 12:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:

Erm, getting kicked out of the premises if you do, I guess?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-09-2013 12:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is what I'm talking about btw: http://raceplanet.com
The name Bleekmolen might ring a bell with racing fanatics. Michael Bleekemolen did a tiny bit of F1 racing in 1977-78 and some Formula 3 stuff, among other things. His son, Jeroen Bleekemolen is still active as a race driver I think (DTM and stuff like that I think).

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-09-2013 12:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

Erm, getting kicked out of the premises if you do, I guess?

But that happens after you've driven like a lunatic, over 10 laps whilst lapping most of the grid and wrapping the car around the lampost.

Doesn't really matter if they let you back.

I know tracks around the UK have limits depending on the company that owns it, other tracks have restrictions made by the government but is usually stuff like restricting db levels for the local residents, which also impact race days.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-09-2013 02:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well, whatever the details, sound like fun bro ..enjoy :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-09-2013 09:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
But that happens after you've driven like a lunatic, over 10 laps whilst lapping most of the grid and wrapping the car around the lampost.

What kind of moronic reasoning is that? I mean, what's preventing you from driving like a lunatic on public roads? Getting arrested and jailed you say? Yeah, but that only happens after the fact :dork:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-09-2013 10:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pretty sure you're liable for any damage.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-09-2013 11:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

What kind of moronic reasoning is that? I mean, what's preventing you from driving like a lunatic on public roads? Getting arrested and jailed you say? Yeah, but that only happens after the fact :dork:

Well yea, but it's the law instead of a stupid rule, so you know you could lose your licence / end up in jail / losing loadsa monies / earn a criminal record.

Wtf can the track do apart from not invite you bk ?, or make you liable for damage which is true for most tracks anyway.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-10-2013 05:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
pretty sure you're liable for any damage.

Err, perhaps, but I'm sure most people can't afford wrecking a €500,000 supercar. The car rental company knows this too so I'm sure there's an insurance going on there.
Getting a car insured for on-track activities is very hard. Ordinary car insurances usually explicitly exclude damages incurred while driving on a racing track.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-10-2013 06:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe it's different in the UK but insurance companies don't mind covering motorcycles for trackdays here. I've never looked into cars but I'd bet its the same. I don't think they cover /racing/, but going around a track is fine.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-10-2013 07:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You'd be doing good to find a policy that covers you on the track in the UK, there's always some stipulation that negates it and if anyone knows different then I'm interested to hear. Something along the lines of 'everyday use' or 'driving on de restricted roads'. I don't think there's any tbh ?.

You can get track day cover but even then you're paying through the nose for a cover that's as flexible as taking a loan out from a shark, some go as far as listing tracks that are only covered or the amount of cars you'll be sharing the grid with. I've seen it as low as 50 bucks for cars worth a few grand. 200+ per day if you're driving a car worth 25k +. It's worth it but if you make it a common hobby then it's gonna get expensive quickly.

The cars that get given to you on a track/experience day usually have plenty of restrictions placed upon them by the insurance firm they use, it's probably why at the circuit Erasers on about have cars that aren't allowed to exceed a certain speed. Most will just let you blaze around in whatever car you turn up in or direct you to a hire firm that can accomadate you with car+cover.

Last edited by losCHUNK on 10-10-2013 07:12 AM, edited 1 time in total.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 10-10-2013 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that sounds aces donny looking forward to updates!

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-11-2013 07:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just back in the UK. It was amazing. Videos to follow at some point...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-12-2013 12:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok so a little more info;

Spa is...wonderful in every sense of the word. The weather is flippant, the track is quick and quite slippery. Oddly, when it is very wet there is more grip then when it is damp - as soon as you hit the damp stage, you go sliding off in a cloud of under steer or, even in a front wheel drive beast like I was using, the tail managed to get a bit happy with lift off over steer.

Eau Rouge is steeper than you can every imagine, Rivage is a nightmare and that little chicane at the end of the lap is a joke. I now understand why you see F1 cars fishtailing out of there and dislike it. It breaks the flow up of the circuit massively.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.