Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Xbox one thread

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Xbox one thread

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 02:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Am I the only person who has the feeling that, within the next couple of years, the new consoles will most likely be even more draconian with their DRM than PC tried to be?

"Due to your past behaviour playing Battlefield 4, you aren't allowed to watch any movies tonight." which naturally leads to "...and you're going to bed without any supper."

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 11-25-2013 10:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I got it on Friday and I think it's an amazing bit of kit. I love the way the kinect watches me wank.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 12:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

Who came up with that sentence? It doesn't make sense.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 12:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed. must be because of all the localization they had to do.
oh wait.

on a brighter note, MS offers free game for everyone with a DOA unit.
choice of Dead Rising 3, Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse, or Zoo Tycoon.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 12:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This sheds some new light on the Play Something Else message:

Quote:
A slew of Xbox One users have claimed that they've been banned from the Skype and Upload Studios apps on Xbox One supposedly due to nothing more than using foul language in their chats and videos.

"I get the message 'Choose something else to play' simply because I assume MS was not happy about a video I uploaded. I think I should have just had a warning," wrote Xbox Live user rbevanx on the Xbox forums.

"I think it's strange that MS allows you to record any game footage when there are games with really bad foul language and I say something like plonker or c*ap and I get my benefits removed especially I had 100 per cent feedback when I was on 360 for about 5-7 years on Xbox Live."

Basically, what it comes down to is if you upload a video with you saying the word "cunt" in it, you'll get banned by Gestaposoft.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... ad-but-why

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 01:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

err.. upload studio I can understand. them videos get hosted by MS and partly makes them responsible.

but I can't call my friend a cunt over a private Skype call? wait what?

[edit] apparently you can;
Quote:
To be clear, the Xbox Live Policy & Enforcement team does not monitor direct peer-to-peer communications like Skype chats and calls. We take Code of Conduct moderation via Upload Studio very seriously. The team reviews every clip that is uploaded to the service to help maintain a clean, safe and fun environment for all users.

so it's about the upload studio then. still, banning someone cause they said 'dick' is pretty weaksauce.
deal with it, profanities are a part of MP, especially on XBL. banning playres for using a bad word while the avatar on screen says "fuck you grub" whilst chainsawing an alien in half is the epitome of hypocrisy.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 01:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
err.. upload studio I can understand. them videos get hosted by MS and partly makes them responsible

I can upload a video with profanities to YouTube just fine.

And still... a ban? Why not just flag the video as inappropriate and make it unavailable for the public so the user can edit it. Or at worst simply delete the video. Getting banned from using Skype because you uploaded a video with a single swearword in it is bullshit, especially if it's in-game chat from some other dude who's been swearing.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 05:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol this I did not know. I'll have to be very careful. Cunt is the cornerstone of any good flame.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 06:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pauly wrote:
I got it on Friday and I think it's an amazing bit of kit. I love the way the kinect watches me wank.

:olo:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 06:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
MKJ wrote:
err.. upload studio I can understand. them videos get hosted by MS and partly makes them responsible

I can upload a video with profanities to YouTube just fine.

And still... a ban? Why not just flag the video as inappropriate and make it unavailable for the public so the user can edit it. Or at worst simply delete the video. Getting banned from using Skype because you uploaded a video with a single swearword in it is bullshit, especially if it's in-game chat from some other dude who's been swearing.

its a provided service you paid for !

thank goodness for this censorban!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 08:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:

You paid for it so why would you not be allowed to use it to communicate how you want? How much do you have to pay to swear? It's like that swearing fine machine in Demolition Man:

Swearing is part of our language.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 08:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
plained wrote:

You paid for it so why would you not be allowed to use it to communicate how you want? How much do you have to pay to swear? It's like that swearing fine machine in Demolition Man:

https://www.youtube.com/v/G1zhe85spsw

I think plained was being sarcastic, but I can also understand why that wouldn't register with you.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 08:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Perhaps this is a new form of monetization they're considering: a swear jar...you swear in your videos, you pay extra in microtransactions for "upload fees" or whatever. Hell...they'll probably eventually charge you to upload your shit anyways, why not start the policy now? :rolleyes:

Seriously...these revelations are indicating a potentially poisonous and adversarial relationship between customers and these new consoles. To me, it seems as if they're dickishly trying to see what they can get away with and I can see a bunch of blind consumer whores enabling them.

You: "XBox ON."
XBox: "Please insert credit card."

If you think the above scenario isn't possible, you don't know how business works (ie. like psychopaths)

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 11-26-2013 08:16 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
DTS wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/v/G1zhe85spsw

I think plained was being sarcastic, but I can also understand why that wouldn't register with you.

I thought he meant people being protected from swearing is what people paid for :olo:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 08:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

on a UX (failure) note;
why is the command to turn the xbox on "Xbox on", but the command to turn it off "Xbox turn off"?
a gotcha that you need to know otherwise it won't turn on (or off, depending on your preference).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 08:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Perhaps this is a new form of monetization they're considering: a swear jar...you swear in your videos, you pay extra in microtransactions for "upload fees" or whatever. Hell...they'll probably eventually charge you to upload your shit anyways, why not start the policy now? :rolleyes:

Seriously...these revelations are indicating a potentially poisonous and adversarial relationship between customers and these new consoles. To me, it seems as if they're dickishly trying to see what they can get away with and I can see a bunch of blind consumer whores enabling them.

You: "XBox ON."
XBox: "Please insert credit card."

If you think the above scenario isn't possible, you don't know how business works (ie. like psychopaths)

That's pretty retro, actually

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 08:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
on a UX (failure) note;
why is the command to turn the xbox on "Xbox on", but the command to turn it off "Xbox turn off"?
a gotcha that you need to know otherwise it won't turn on (or off, depending on your preference).

So what happens when you're playing a game while Skyping, and the person you're skyping with suddenly shouts "XBOX TURN OFF!"?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 08:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

then his xbox would shut off :p

I don't think that works actually. Rock Band had some filter in there so you couldnt cheat by having the microphone up to the speaker to "sing" the songs. Prolly a whatsit on some wavelength or somesuch.
Doesn't stop your roommate/spouse/neighbour from doing it in person :glee:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 08:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"Because of your past behaviour on Skype, you can't"

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 08:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IIRC a game pauses and a confirmation dialog pops up. Also could not duplicate what MKJ was saying "xbox on" shuts off your tv if already on. Seems like it knows when your tv is on.

edit: talking about in person of course...the skype thing doesn't work for sure.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 08:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice. perhaps it depends on the make of your tv. I can imagine some TVs use a toggle signal, while others have a dedicated on/off signal.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 09:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Imma get one of them trucks with a tannoy and drive around housing estates on xmas day blaring "x-box turn off" >:D

I'd chip in fuel money to see that :olo:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 09:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 10:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Imma get one of them trucks with a tannoy and drive around housing estates on xmas day blaring "x-box turn off" >:D

lol you'd certainly make the local news for sure. :up:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 10:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A few months left and Microsoft will implode...lol it's gonna be funny...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Memphis wrote:

Certainly for sure! Surely for certain.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 10:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

Lol

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 11:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:

Certainly for sure! Surely for certain.

I fucked your dad for sure certainly. :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 12:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
IIRC a game pauses and a confirmation dialog pops up.

What if you're in a multiplayer game and you're about to headshot that mofo to kingdom come?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 12:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turn voice commands off

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol so if ur playing a sports game and you or Someone in the room says "fuck" or what not u will get a technical called on u... lol consoles...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 01:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dickhead is a dickhead.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-26-2013 02:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

lollings.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 09:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh my fecking gawd bf4 is buggy. I mean it shouldn't have been beta tested yet.

Yes yes, gky I know.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I aint sayin nothin...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.