Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Tesla lays down some ownage

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Tesla lays down some ownage

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-14-2013 10:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/most-pe ... test-drive

TLDR
Quote:
The logs show again that our Model S never had a chance with John Broder. In the case with Top Gear, their legal defense was that they never actually said it broke down, they just implied that it could and then filmed themselves pushing what viewers did not realize was a perfectly functional car. In Mr. Broder’s case, he simply did not accurately capture what happened and worked very hard to force our car to stop running.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-14-2013 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Caught a corrupt moron with an obvious pro-oil agenda, nicely done.

Also shame on Top Queer.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-14-2013 11:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More proof there is no such thing as journalism and never was. "Infotainment" and reinforcing existing prejudices is all that matters.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-14-2013 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
More proof there is no such thing as journalism and never was. "Infotainment" and reinforcing existing prejudices is all that matters.

^^
What he says :smirk:

edit

edit

edit

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 02-14-2013 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-14-2013 09:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2 sides to every story but the rebuttal is kinda shit imo

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-14-2013 11:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And by 'laying down some ownage' you mean 'crying like little bitches' amirite? It's Top Gear, it's more a comedy show than an auto show. If your product gets on there, they're going to make fun of it.
They also said the Passat handles like a shopping cart with one limp wheel. You don't see Volkswagen 'owning' them with charts and diagrams to prove that a shopping cart does in fact handle differently.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-14-2013 11:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bit of a difference between saying a car doesn't handle well to a car is completely unreliable, but I get where you are coming from.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-15-2013 12:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
And by 'laying down some ownage' you mean 'crying like little bitches' amirite? It's Top Gear, it's more a comedy show than an auto show. If your product gets on there, they're going to make fun of it.
They also said the Passat handles like a shopping cart with one limp wheel. You don't see Volkswagen 'owning' them with charts and diagrams to prove that a shopping cart does in fact handle differently.

Did you read the article? It's not about Top Gear. It's about the New York Times.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-15-2013 02:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I took the tldr version and thought it was still about that top gear courtcase from a while back :toothy:

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 02-15-2013 02:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-15-2013 03:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Apparently a couple CNN reporters are reenacting the journey. Could be intere...snore.

Lol CNN... i remember a semi recent Daily Show clip where John Oliver interviewed one of the CNN bigwigs about his recent firing of the whole investigative journalism unit (that's right, CNN does not have any investigative reporters anymore). The man sat there and enthusiastically defended this decision using reasoning that was tremendously stupid, it was quite hilarious :up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-15-2013 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Top Gear also drove Reliant Robins and Regal Supervans fast around corners just to make them tip over (they have 3 wheels) just for jokes. the fact that you can't drive them fast around corners isn't the reason those cars are shit though; the reason they're shit is that they're shit :idea:

also, anyone who thinks Top Gear is a serious consumer advice show isn't getting the joke. they race Veyrons against RAF Tornadoes ffs. you can't afford either of those toys

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-15-2013 06:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Memphis wrote:
Apparently a couple CNN reporters are reenacting the journey. Could be intere...snore.

Lol CNN... i remember a semi recent Daily Show clip where John Oliver interviewed one of the CNN bigwigs about his recent firing of the whole investigative journalism unit (that's right, CNN does not have any investigative reporters anymore). The man sat there and enthusiastically defended this decision using reasoning that was tremendously stupid, it was quite hilarious :up:

Probably their best fake journalist segments ever :up: The Newsroom part was awesome.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-j ... journalism

Last edited by bitWISE on 02-15-2013 06:58 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-15-2013 06:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

For what it's worth, turns out the trip is easy to complete without problems. Broder's full of shit.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-15-2013 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
Ryoki wrote:

Probably their best fake journalist segments ever :up: The Newsroom part was awesome.

lol I remember that.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-15-2013 06:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Broder's full of shit.

That entire newspaper is full of shit. Iraq war anyone?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-15-2013 08:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I heard that actually happened

zewulf
zewulf
PostPosted: 02-17-2013 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Two sides of a story really. I don’t trust Tesla’s data logs more than what Broder wrote. Tesla could’ve made up the data logs just to discredit Broder. Who knows?

I can believe some of Broder’s rebuttal (e.g., driving around the parking lot in circles at night desperately looking for a charging station that’s not clearly marked), and if Tesla had indeed changed the size of the wheels/tires without recalibrating the system, they just invalidated their own data logs altogether.

The fact is most people probably will not be willing to put up with the nuisances of owning/operating an all-electric vehicle. Broder operated the car in a manner that’s more consistent with people who operate petrol cars, while Valdes-Dapena from CNN Money effectively went out of his way (so to speak) to accommodate the car.

In any case, I’m sure the Tesla S is a nice car, but I think electric vehicles are no more sustainable than petrol vehicles, and in most cases, they’re not necessarily more efficient or environmentally friendly either (you’re simply shifting the pollution source from the car to somewhere else). Money would be better spent researching and developing a non-carbon-based, renewable alternative fuel that’s sustainable, burns cleanly, and is economically/environmentally friendly to produce.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 02-17-2013 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is why I'm waiting for antimatter and fusion before I build my spaceship.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 12-02-2013 07:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like my shitty state is rushing an amendment into a bill tomorrow that would block Tesla from opening the dealerships they just announced to build in Ohio.

Quote:
4517.12 Denial of license as motor vehicle dealer, motor vehicle leasing dealer, manufactured home broker, or motor vehicle auction owner.

(A) The registrar of motor vehicles shall deny the application of any person for a license as a motor vehicle dealer, motor vehicle leasing dealer, or motor vehicle auction owner and refuse to issue the license if the registrar finds that the applicant:

(11) Is a manufacturer or a subsidiary, parent, or affiliated entity of a manufacturer. applying for a license to sell or lease new or used vehicles at retail. Nothing in this division shall prohibit a manufacturer from disposing of vehicles at wholesale at the termination of a consumer lease through a motor vehicle auction. This division shall not serve as a basis for termination, revocation, or non-renewal of a license granted prior to the effective date of this provision.

Hopefully the morons in power know that:

Quote:
With a service center in Dublin and stores opening in Columbus and Cincinnati this month, Tesla will support 26 employees, and every location will add an initial $7 million in direct economic activity to the State. Tesla will be banned from creating additional jobs, opening new locations and bringing substantial economic investment from a U.S. company to Ohio if this legislation passes.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-02-2013 08:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

People are so stupid it literally makes my brain hurt. Fucking hell.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-02-2013 08:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As a side note, them Teslas are very quiet. Had one sneak up on me the other day when I was walking around. Didn't even realize it was there until it was almost up my ass. :o

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-02-2013 08:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How was the fit?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-02-2013 09:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol Tesla can't even get their own defence straight.

Clarkson never said it broke down cos it never (the part they're contesting anyway), it *supposedly* run out of juice as he explains during the same scene which is why they were pushing the car into the garage. Tesla were arguing the toss to get over the bad publicity from factually correct brake failures later in the show, when they got owned they tried claiming the power never fell below 20% at any point, meaning it couldn't run out of juice and claim misrepresentation, at which point a different judge had a laugh then explained that its supposedly a representation of the facts as explained by Clarkson in the same scene.

They also never contested the part at the beginning where he said they had to change cars twice cos it was broken, nor did they contest the speed at which the battery drained.

And now they try to make out they were right all along and were blown away by something trivial, bunch a cunts

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-02-2013 10:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bitwise, maybe my legalese sucks, but how does that amendment target Tesla? Looks to me like it just prevents any new car retailers from setting up shop.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-02-2013 10:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it simply prohibits car manufacturers from selling directly to consumers, thus cutting out the dealerships as a middle-man. "If the registrar finds that the dealer-applicant is the manufacturer or is a subsidiary thereof, fuck you, no dice" is what I'm reading. Stubborn mother fuckers. Free market means you die when you can't adapt, not "please prop me up unnaturally."

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-02-2013 10:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
How was the fit?

Toit loike a toigah

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-02-2013 11:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Memphis wrote:

For what it's worth, turns out the trip is easy to complete without problems. Broder's full of shit.

lol this, made me think of this -

Quote:
Why even last night the Top Gear office accidentally received an email sent from a Public Relations firm to The One Show, asking if it would like to have the Tesla spokesperson on their programme to talk about the case. It says: "PHA Media represent Tesla and this could make for a fantastic interview." And the PHA man's not finished there. "The presenters could have some fun with this." He adds. "Matt and Alex could even take the Tesla for a spin and test it out, reaffirming its virtues?" Plenty of respect for editorial independence in that last line there and I wish the chaps from PHA Media all the best in their crusade.

http://jalopnik.com/5788297/tesla-vs-to ... man-speaks

As a rule of thumb you shouldn't trust companies that drag their court cases out in the media and should look at things that are not being discussed. Like Tesla are not disputing that Broder ? received faulty advice from Tesla.

Last edited by losCHUNK on 12-03-2013 12:01 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 12:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
blah blah Top Gear hardon blah blah

You really want to drag this all up again?
Seriously, this whole thread wasn't even about the Top Gear debacle. Who are you even trying to convince?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 12:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tesla dragged it up again, not me

What's wrong with anything I said ?, I think this has a loose resemblance to what happened to TG. It's pretty evident that Tesla don't like anything bad said about their cars wether it's factual or not but so long as its good and buyers should be aware of a company that presents itself in this way :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 12:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Tesla dragged it up again, not me

Where? You linked an article from 2 years ago.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 12:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The OP posted an article that mentions a bullshit defence against TG to re-inforce their claims of victimisation :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 12:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, that's 10 months old.
You understand how dates work?

Also, who are you trying to convince? And what are you trying to convince them of?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 12:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Yeah, that's 10 months old.
You understand how dates work?

Also, who are you trying to convince? And what are you trying to convince them of?

It's closer than your 2 years, do you understand the progression of time ?

and you know me, bullshit gets called for bullshit. If Musk was a poster his name would be Kracus, you should remember a thread where I completely ripped his now dead hyperloop apart.

A more up to date convo would say its obvious why Tesla don't want to use dealers, it all comes down to protection of their public image with Tesla playing the victim card, again whilst asking for privileges.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.