Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        demoing Google Glass..

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: demoing Google Glass..

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 11:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hoping to get some first hand experience in a bit. UI is nice, Google Now x 10

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yush, spatial display ?, tell me it's fucking awesome !

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 11:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

record a vid when u hit a tree

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can you watch Fast and Furious whilst hitting a tree ?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 11:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welcome to a new world. A world wherein people don't stare at their phones, walking down the street oblivious to everything going on around them....they instead stare straight ahead, walking down the street getting information overload from everything going on around them. And when the day comes where you can receive phone calls and text from it, you'll be living in a world wherein people stare straight ahead, walking down the street oblivious to everything going on around them.

Remember, if you need Google Glass to tell you the price of something in a store window (with the price tag already on it) then you're beyond help and should probably kill yourself.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 12:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can already send and receive phone calls wih it.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then watch out for parked cars.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 12:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How often do you bump into parked cars while on tbe phone? It's exactly like your phone's hands free mode.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

next-gen wankers

thx Google

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 12:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
How often do you bump into parked cars while on tbe phone? It's exactly like your phone's hands free mode.

lol just yesterday at lunch I witnessed some air-head crash into someone while staring down at her phone. It's a good thing she did because she wasn't stopping for the light that had just changed to red.

Besides...I think you're purposefully missing my point that "social devices" tend to make people "social" only with those in another location but "less social" with those they share the room with. A friend of mine from Denmark is well-known among all his friends for constantly texting "someone else" and staring down at his phone rather than talking to the friends standing in front of him and when all of his friends that he constantly texts are actually sitting in his living room at the same time, he's texting "someone else".

It's the social problem I'm talking about and I think Google Glass will just make it worse.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 02:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chances of an event like that happening are high while you're at lunch, amirite?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 03:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So what you're saying is during lunch when everyone's piling out of the building...if they're wearing Google Glass it'll be a disaster?

I don't quite get what you're asking.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 03:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You eat so much there's bound to be a crash in the months it takes for you to finish?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wat

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 03:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah....that makes even more sense. :dork:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what he meant to say is: it's always lunch time for fatties, so it's bound to happen during lunch time :olo:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 04:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-03-2013 05:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Poor gwamps latches onto even the weakest flame to get brownie points.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 06:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
MKJ wrote:

lol just yesterday at lunch I witnessed some air-head crash into someone while staring down at her phone. It's a good thing she did because she wasn't stopping for the light that had just changed to red.

but that's looking at the device. I was just saying that placing calls with the GG is exactly the same as using handsfree on your Phone, ie looking straight ahead and just doing your thing.

Anyway, the first thing people think of when using Glass is the Social Zombie Apocalypse. A common misconception: the Glass is *not* a replacement for your Phone, nor a social device. There's no Facebook, G+ etc, other than posting media. You can't initiate a textchat via Hangouts or anytihng like that.
As it is now, it's basically purely a Google Now device. Look up Google Now if you don't know it, it's like Siri but with learning capabilities and proactive servicing. It does not bombard you with information, tweets, emails, messages and other such clutter like the pricetags GKY described.

When it's off, it's off. You don't see anything. There's actually a projector on the side with a tilted mirror that beams the screen into your eye, so when it's off there's no physical screen blocking your vision.
Tapping the side brings up the home screen in the right top corner. It's a translucent image of a clock floating in front of you. I was suprised with how unobtrusive it is. I guess it's best described as your car's rearview mirror. You don't really see it while driving but your peripheral vision knows it's there. And when those headlights beam into it and you look up, you still have a sense of what's going in in front of you. Obviously you shouldn't be trying to read the plates of the car behind you 'cause that will shift your focus (and cause you to crash), but otherwise it's very passive.

It also knows where you're watching so it dims (and then removes) the screen when you're not looking at it. Again to prevent this thing from being in your face all the time - even less than it already does.
It runs on Android, but it's not like an Android device. There's no "Glass Apps", only connections to services (which can be geared to Glass). Whenever building a service, their main paradigm is boolean; every action requested from the user should be answerable with a simple yes or no. Anything else would force the user to make more complex decisions, distracting him from what he was doing in real life. They appear to be very strict about this, and Glass services have to be tested and approved by a Goole dev. They seem to realise the dangers of opening up this particular platform.

This handles most of the misconceptions and doomscenarios people describe when hearing about Glass. Most importantly (I feel), is the Social Zombie issue. Sure, there will be people who won't like the device, and there will always be people who will rage against it much like people are still raging against the calculator. This thing is simply not for those people, and that's fine. Not every device is for everyone.
With all that taken away, what remains?

At it's core, a handsfree assistant. It will remind you that you're out of milk when you're doing your groceries (think of notifications on your smartphone, but instead of showing an icon it will either play a sound through the earpiece or tickle your earbone - literally). It will tell you to take a different route when traffic gets too crazy, tell you which gate your flight is leaving from when you enter the airport, etc. Like I said, Google Now.

And then they showed some more creative usecases of the thing. Using the built-in camera to zoom in on some faraway text, basically enhancing your eyesight without the need of lenses. Object scanning, like holding up a bluray case and it would give the imdb rating of the title. At one point they held up a book in German, tapped the Glass and said "Glass, read this". It would then project the German text translated into English right on the book, same font and all, overlapping the original German text. Another tap and it would read the book aloud through the earpiece so only the user could hear it. They did say that using the visual translator to read books is tiresome and not optimal, and that it's mostly used to read signs, notices, menu's and the like. It's fast enough to tell it to keep translating and walk about, and everything is suddenly in your native language. This is some serious Deus Ex next level shit.

There will always be morons who will get the latest and greatest just for the hell of it, using only 5% of it's functions. Take smartphones and their neverending FB status updates. Hell, one of the Explorers (beta testers) actually said her biggest gripe was that it can't take selfies, FFS.
But if one can't see the actual real life advantages this device could bring when in the right hands, you're either as shortsighted (pun!) as the Instagram-phone crowd, or hadn't had enough bacon for breakfast.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gurgle ass !

ha!

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 07:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there a degauss button?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 08:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Anyway, the first thing people think of when using Glass is the Social Zombie Apocalypse. A common misconception: the Glass is *not* a replacement for your Phone, nor a social device. There's no Facebook, G+ etc, other than posting media. You can't initiate a textchat via Hangouts or anytihng like that.
As it is now, it's basically purely a Google Now device. Look up Google Now if you don't know it, it's like Siri but with learning capabilities and proactive servicing. It does not bombard you with information, tweets, emails, messages and other such clutter like the pricetags GKY described.

Cool, because the earlier promotional videos that were released showed a very intrusive device that was attempting to tell you everything about your surroundings....like you were a two-year old pointing at stuff and saying,"Wuzzat?"

MKJ wrote:
And then they showed some more creative usecases of the thing. Using the built-in camera to zoom in on some faraway text, basically enhancing your eyesight without the need of lenses. Object scanning, like holding up a bluray case and it would give the imdb rating of the title. At one point they held up a book in German, tapped the Glass and said "Glass, read this". It would then project the German text translated into English right on the book, same font and all, overlapping the original German text. Another tap and it would read the book aloud through the earpiece so only the user could hear it. They did say that using the visual translator to read books is tiresome and not optimal, and that it's mostly used to read signs, notices, menu's and the like. It's fast enough to tell it to keep translating and walk about, and everything is suddenly in your native language. This is some serious Deus Ex next level shit.

Now THAT is fucking cool.

MKJ wrote:
There will always be morons who will get the latest and greatest just for the hell of it, using only 5% of it's functions. Take smartphones and their neverending FB status updates. Hell, one of the Explorers (beta testers) actually said her biggest gripe was that it can't take selfies, FFS.
But if one can't see the actual real life advantages this device could bring when in the right hands, you're either as shortsighted (pun!) as the Instagram-phone crowd, or hadn't had enough bacon for breakfast.

Mmmmmmmmm....bacon.

Thanks for the insight, but for me personally I still can't see anything that would justify someone wearing it 24/7 and I can't see how anyone would get to the point of "forgetting it's on their face" like regular eyeglasses. And I can't stop thinking of the show Continuum and the "next gen" of the tech being implanted directly into your eye.

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CYBORGS!!

My take is that Google Glass, along with the iPad, are devices that help a small fraction of people and would probably be best served as a device that helps industry and services (police, shipping businesses, airport checkin/security, etc) more than regular folks.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 08:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like something that might be practical for my line of work.

Right now I use my personal phone or my work blackberry for stuff like this. I'm not sure how convenient it would be to see things displayed in front of me as opposed to just grabbing my phone and looking at it.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 09:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Set reminder

-Buy GTI

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
A friend of mine from Denmark is well-known among all his friends for constantly texting "someone else" and staring down at his phone rather than talking to the friends standing in front of him and when all of his friends that he constantly texts are actually sitting in his living room at the same time, he's texting "someone else".

people like to brag about and exaggerate the number of friends they have. this is just a new way of doing that

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 10:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Sounds like something that might be practical for my line of work

Would the Google Glass not interfere with your telemarketing headset?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 10:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah... cause that's totally what I do for a living.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 10:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On the plus side when doing bidness in clubs you can scan it with the glasses to ensure proper weight.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 10:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's scary how I can tell the difference in weight even if it's only off by .05 grams just by holding it... However, can it actually tell somethings weight?

It's practicality for me though would be to pull up technical details while I'm at someones site. It's often the case that I don't have the proper access to stuff at the clients site because the clients access is restricted. So i'm forced to go back to my PC, or RDP into it to get what I need done on the servers and then abck to the client to test what happened.

Right now I use my phone as a reference for stuff like server names, file locations etc... I could see google glass doing this more efficiently but at the end of the day... Does it really help THAT much? I doubt it.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 10:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:
A friend of mine from Denmark is well-known among all his friends for constantly texting "someone else" and staring down at his phone rather than talking to the friends standing in front of him and when all of his friends that he constantly texts are actually sitting in his living room at the same time, he's texting "someone else".

people like to brag about and exaggerate the number of friends they have. this is just a new way of doing that

Perhaps. My friend is the extreme type of extrovert and a massive attention-whore...on par with Paris Hilton TBH...so I'm sure there's merit to what you're saying.

However, my friend is also a typical gadget-geek that is enthralled by anything with a screen. It gets so bad with him texting while trying to maintain a conversation with you that he ends up talking... like... this... with... big... gaps... in... annunciation... because... he's... simultaneously... trying... to... form... sentences... in... his... text... while... talking... to... you... at... the... same... time.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 11:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

By "client", Kracus is referring to the 80-yr old retirees that call and ask him where the power button is on their floppy mouse drive.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

apt description for ministers and judiciaries minus the retired part.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 02:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ, did they say or show anything to alleviate the issues with breaching other people's privacy (being filmed without your consent or knowledge by a Glass wearer for example).

It's a commonly heard gripe people have with this device, I think more so than fear for users of the device to become socially isolated.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 12-04-2013 07:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Post pics please! :)

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-05-2013 05:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
It's scary how I can tell the difference in weight even if it's only off by .05 grams just by holding it... However, can it actually tell somethings weight?

It's practicality for me though would be to pull up technical details while I'm at someones site. It's often the case that I don't have the proper access to stuff at the clients site because the clients access is restricted. So i'm forced to go back to my PC, or RDP into it to get what I need done on the servers and then abck to the client to test what happened.

Right now I use my phone as a reference for stuff like server names, file locations etc... I could see google glass doing this more efficiently but at the end of the day... Does it really help THAT much? I doubt it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.