Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Does anyone here vape?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Does anyone here vape?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 06-26-2014 09:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:
Is it 100% healthy? Nope. Is it a 1000 times better than smoking? Yup.

You're only fooling yourself, buddy. :olo:

:up: :up:

YourGrandpa wrote:

Puff Puff.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-26-2014 11:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
vaping is smoking somewhat like sodomy is sex for the purposes of procreation

and equally gay.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-27-2014 12:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see three problems with electronic cigarettes.

When you blow scented smoke into a public space, you're being obnoxious. You'll still stink up the place. Even if it's less intrusive than a cigarette and smells of cherries rather than burned tobacco there still is an unwanted smell. Don't play the "aftershave and perfume" card, because that isn't OK either. If you're a walking cloud of aftershave, you're being a cunt as well.

The second problem is behavioral. There's the example function. Smoking an e-cigarette shows that smoking is cool, or at least alright. People (especially young people and children) may pick up on e-cigs themselves and possibly make the step towards normal cigarettes as well. There's no denying that the tobacco industry is a big proponent of e-cigarettes, because it's an easy way for them to promote the activity of smoking without actually promoting regular cigarettes. The public isn't always capable or willing to differentiate between regular cigarettes and e-cigarettes.

The last problem is attitude. Pro-vape people claim that it's a tool to stop smoking. If you really believe that, then you're lying to yourself. Cold and hard. In my experience, cigarette smokers are arrogant people when it comes to smoking. No exceptions. And don't play the "you're generalizing" card here, because for at least 99% I'm right about this.
Smokers feel that a right is taken away from them when you tell them to stop smoking. So an electronic cigarette is about a smoker going "fuck you" and continuing this old habit that we've expressly forbidden, under the guise of "but there's no health risk". Smokers have been worming in all sorts of ways to get out of this smoke ban and this is just another one of those attempts.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-27-2014 03:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i wonder why this issue gets people so angry? ok, so the smell of cherry orange peppermint gayness is annoying, but what do you care what rationalisations smokers use for vaping when it *isn't* in your face?

on the other hand, i don't think vapers are doing themselves any favours by selling vape as a quitting tactic. they should just say they enjoy the mild buzz, the social element with other vapers and the paraphenalia faggotry, and leave it at that

YourGrandpa wrote:

^ moron who doesn't understand that toxicity is related to dosage size, not some magic property of a substance. even water is toxic if consumed in sufficient quantities in a short space of time (i.e. those retards who take ecstasy then swill down a couple of gallons of water in 15 minutes because they heard you can get dehydrated, then end up collapsing into coma)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-27-2014 04:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
but what do you care what rationalisations smokers use for vaping when it *isn't* in your face?

I don't think anyone cares about anything when it isn't in their faces.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 06-27-2014 04:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
seremtan wrote:
but what do you care what rationalisations smokers use for vaping when it *isn't* in your face?

Unfortunately, yep.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-27-2014 06:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

^ moron who doesn't understand that toxicity is related to dosage size, not some magic property of a substance. even water is toxic if consumed in sufficient quantities in a short space of time (i.e. those retards who take ecstasy then swill down a couple of gallons of water in 15 minutes because they heard you can get dehydrated, then end up collapsing into coma)

^ old pedo.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 06-27-2014 06:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Smokers are pretty much the biggest cunts on the planet.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-27-2014 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
seremtan wrote:

untrue, but irrelevant, since i was asking specifically about caring whether or not hipsters suck cherry & dick-flavoured steam into their lungs in the privacy of their own industrial loft conversions

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 06-27-2014 11:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Industrial lofts are cool. I might try some of that cherry & dick-flavoured steam. :up:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-27-2014 02:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
The last problem is attitude. Pro-vape people claim that it's a tool to stop smoking.....

Nope... nope by far. the grand majority of vapers understand that it's an alternative. and they continue to smoke them as a leisurely activity. .. kind of like smoking a hookah.

It's a tiny minority that see it as a way out, and nobody who is selling it are trying to promote otherwise.. they use the word 'alternative'

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 06-27-2014 03:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
Eraser wrote:
The last problem is attitude. Pro-vape people claim that it's a tool to stop smoking.....

Nope... nope by far. the grand majority of vapers understand that it's an alternative. and they continue to smoke them as a leisurely activity. .. kind of like smoking a hookah.

It's a tiny minority that see it as a way out, and nobody who is selling it are trying to promote otherwise.. they use the word 'alternative'

I have a friend whos legit using it to quit. Hes off cigs already in under a month, and weening down on juice already.

I'm using it as an alt, it smells better and its kinda fun building coils and such.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 06-27-2014 07:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And you're still a gigantic moron.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 06-27-2014 07:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
And you're still a gigantic moron.

That may be. But I'm a happy moron.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-27-2014 11:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess ignorance is bliss.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 06-27-2014 11:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

You're cute for a grumpy old man. So opinionated. :olo:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-28-2014 12:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

then you must be fucking ecstatic, blubberboy

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 02:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its a shame this thread died so hard.

Drum did you ever get beyond those stupid fucking EVODs and get to big boy mods?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 04:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Vampires are lame as heck and I don't know why anyone would be one.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

better than zombies

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol @ trying to sound all badass about pathetic pedestrian shit.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 04:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting topic. If you just want to stick something in your mouth why not smoke a pipe? Course you have the tobacco issue but then from what I have read in this thread the main arguement is smoking inside and bothering people. I've smoked a pipe for quite a few years, rarely get a complaint. Most people say they like the smell of the pipe tobacco I smoke.

Do I inhale? No, I smoke it for the taste of the tobacco. I've had no problem quitting other than missing that pesky pipe hanging from my mouth. Might be different if I inhaled though and I don't smoke inside, only outside or in my home.

Cost, a pound of the pipe tobacco I smoke cost 23 dollars, lasts me a month or better. After reading the cost of vaping I think I will keep smoking my pipe. The flavors sound good though. I smoke Black Cherry flavored tobacco has a very pleasent taste.

Quitting. I think I will have to agree about how to quit smoking. If you want to quit then do it, don't try substituting something else. I know a couple people who used the patch, seemed to work for them. Everyone is different though you would have to see what works best for you.

Carry on

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 08-09-2014 02:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lars63 wrote:
Interesting topic. If you just want to stick something in your mouth why not smoke a pipe? Course you have the tobacco issue but then from what I have read in this thread the main arguement is smoking inside and bothering people. I've smoked a pipe for quite a few years, rarely get a complaint. Most people say they like the smell of the pipe tobacco I smoke.

Do I inhale? No, I smoke it for the taste of the tobacco. I've had no problem quitting other than missing that pesky pipe hanging from my mouth. Might be different if I inhaled though and I don't smoke inside, only outside or in my home.

Cost, a pound of the pipe tobacco I smoke cost 23 dollars, lasts me a month or better. After reading the cost of vaping I think I will keep smoking my pipe. The flavors sound good though. I smoke Black Cherry flavored tobacco has a very pleasent taste.

Quitting. I think I will have to agree about how to quit smoking. If you want to quit then do it, don't try substituting something else. I know a couple people who used the patch, seemed to work for them. Everyone is different though you would have to see what works best for you.

Carry on

Initial cost, 100 or so bucks.

Juice, DIY, Is cheap as chips. From a 1/2 decent vendor, still not awfully expensive. 5-7 bucks for 15ML, and cheaper in bulk.

I mean really. Depending how much you smoke a pipe, it could really end up being about the same or cheaper depending how nuts you get. The thing with Vaping is you end up buying more and more mods and bits for funzies. Like I just spent 100 bucks on an IPV2 box mod because, well, why not? And another like 70 in other misc bits.

The expensive part is managing to not spend tons of fucking money on shit you dont need. Still cheaper than smoking/chewing though. So thats good :)

Once you get a setup you're happy with. Maybe a dripper you can rebuild on (more like 2-3 honestly), a decent tank for when you dont want to drip (kayfun or something), and either a box mod (recommended totally), or some mechs, you really dont need much more than some wire and some cotton. Which is stupid cheap. I have enough wire and cotton at this point in multiple sizes, to get me through 2014 and maybe most of 2015 unless I just dick around wasting wire for random goofy coil builds. I mean cotton is like 3 bucks a bag for organic cotton (Rayons even cheaper, but eh whatever). And 200 feet of misc sized wire cost me a whole like 20 dollars or so? Again cheaper in bulk if you find a size you prefer. I buy multiple sizes because I do end up messing with retarded coil builds.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 08-09-2014 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not sure I want to spend the 100 dollars. My pipe cost me 40 bucks but I sure like the sound of all those flavors. Will check this out. Thanks for the heads up SOAPboy

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 08-09-2014 06:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lars63 wrote:
Not sure I want to spend the 100 dollars. My pipe cost me 40 bucks but I sure like the sound of all those flavors. Will check this out. Thanks for the heads up SOAPboy

Nooo Problem.

That EVOD kit is a great way to get started. But you will most likely replace it pretty quickly if you're going to vape on the regular and not just use it as a stop gap to quit smoking entirely. :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-12-2014 07:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I quit smoking in October of last year and hadn't picked up a cigarette until recently, like last month specifically. I bought 3 packs and swore I was going to quit again, failed the first time I tried and now I'm on day 3 of not smoking. Got a pretty bad craving on a long road trip so I caved and bought an e-cig. Honestly, for my purposes which is to use it for a week it's pretty good. I don't intend for this to replace cigarettes but to stave off a craving when I'm doing something which used to involve smoking it's not bad. Don't plan on doing this on a regular basis instead of smoking though, just to get me through the first week of cravings.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 08-12-2014 08:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

meh, it's all the ADD oral fixation of smoking with less downside. People are getting too wound up about vaporizers. I quit smoking and then realized I started because I like the habit. Wife and I got V2 pen-vapes and have been happy with them for a little over a year now. The crazy millennial culture that's popped up around the things is a bit over the line for me. Just a risk mitigation tool really. Does make me wonder why no one had the foresight to put an "evolved" cigarette in sci-fi movies... everyone still smokes analogs in space?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-12-2014 08:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

William Gibson didn't include cellphones in Neuromancer. SF writers have their blind spots

also, thanks for one of the few rational posts ITT on the subject of vaping

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.