Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Why you should be playing CS:GO

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Why you should be playing CS:GO

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 12-22-2013 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 12-22-2013 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nah I'm okay with dota 2

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-22-2013 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

People cheat at FPSs online, that's why I stopped playing them.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-22-2013 11:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
DTS wrote:
People cheat at FPSs online, that's why I stopped playing them.

people cheat at marriage and tax returns. whassya point?

If your spouse cheats on you it's grounds for a divorce. Your analogy doesn't work.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-22-2013 11:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you can even get a divorce without breach of fidelity. this modern world, this.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 12-22-2013 11:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
nah I'm okay with dota 2

750 hours and counting. Don't think I've ever played a game as much as this.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 12-22-2013 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why Dota 2 over LoL?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-22-2013 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
*text wall bollocks*

tried DayZ standalone yet?

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 12-22-2013 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
i'd give it a shot but you tarts don't invite :(

granted tho, i'd be fucking clueless.

i just checked; it's open now.

i'll give it a try :up:

are the EU/US servers seperate as they are in other games? what server are you guys playing on?

redline
redline
PostPosted: 12-22-2013 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
nah I'm okay with dota 2

SC2 HotS here :D

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 12-22-2013 12:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
phantasmagoria wrote:
750 hours and counting. Don't think I've ever played a game as much as this.

srs? we're always in need of a fifth player who's not shite. It's an odd game that takes a while to get into tho. It's available for everyone now so you don't need an invite. I can play a few games with you first if you like. There are some tutorial games which you should give a go before you do anythign against real folk tho.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-22-2013 02:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bros being bros! :drool:

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-22-2013 04:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Because it's 3 quid you poons. Go buy. We do Q3W tourney.

Seriously though, it really is some of the goodest of shit. And I never liked CS. Hated it in fact. Played a few Source matches - got insta-killed over and over and could nay be arsed to touch it again. A typical match entailed everyone running off before I'd managed to buy my guff and the first corner I come to spelling death. I'd aim directly at someone's head, from twenty feet away and empty a magazine but to hit all of fuck. Thus, I did pause to consider what a waste getting GO was going to be, but it looked pretty and was on sale so knackers and all that to it.

Turns out it's the most engaging bit of shooty I've indulged in since BC2. There's really a surprising amount to learn, to get even halfway to a decent handle on the game and now it seems all other MP shooters are steaming piles of painfully simplistic shite. To elaborate a little on my enlightening; I'd always kinda understood that the guns would spray, although never understood how a gun would spray. So decided to look-up how one should actually go about playing and it's soon after this that I feel like I'm getting into Quake again. More than simply knowing the maps, weapons and adept at pointing a crosshair somewhere quickly and clicking, one discovers such methods as peeking, pre-firing, flash-popping, stutter-stepping, managing buys, distinguishing sounds and such more as the like. It's indeed a shooter. But there's some real mind-games there in anticipating tactics and second-guessing the opposition - arguably more-so than having superior clicky reflexes. It's brutal and you'll often be dead before even seeing it coming, but in this it's also quite brilliant as the quick-fire rounds convey a rollercoaster of tension and release. None of that stuck at a chokepoint for 20mins malarkey whatsoever.

And so I write this in the possible case of others having misjudged the game as completely as I had. I'd been trying to play Quake (or any other FPS for that matter) which was of course my major malfunction. Twitch-firing can do so much, but with experience you'll instead be setting up to have your crosshair over the exact pixels someone's head is due to appear in, rather than playing reactively. Of course though, if you're me and an aging cunt with nerves that twitch like a spazmatic sparrow on red bull and one leg stuck in a power outlet, you'll still miss. If you're lucky, they'll also miss and then real weapon control comes in. So, point the crosshair and shoot right? Fuuuuuuck no. Spraying does just that. So much so that half your load will literally hit the ceiling and this is the big kicker for us newer players. All guns handle differently. In most instances very differently and not simply by way of damage over rate of fire, or how much recoil makes the crosshair judder, like all military shooters ever.

Take the AK for instance. The first shot is always 100% smack-bang accurate. Every single time, so long as you're stationary. Plus it's a one-shot head-shot kill, at any distance, with or without a helmet. Simply being aware of this completely changed how I approached its use. After that first shot, it'll start bucking wildly and then it's onto something else my feeble brain had failed to grasp previously - that recoil control is not about steadying the crosshair. There's no iron-sights or aim-steadying functionality beyond your understanding of how the gun works and at what angle bullets will emerge from it as it continues to fire. And that's just when standing still. Start moving about and it's a whole other thing. Once it sinks in a bit and you score spray-control headshots by literally aiming at someone's knees, then the delight of actual skill-progress is akin to how I felt when I'd eventually sussed-out straffle.

Additionallly, it's constantly updated. Valve are really pushing this and the competitive scene is lapping it up. I've never given a shit about comp gaming, but have actually watched a few CS:GO matches (WarOwl's casts are particularly entertaining) and it can be quite exciting stuff when it's 5 on 5 and the tactics at play can be appreciated, as opposed to who's climbing the frag ladder fastest.

Anyhoo, just on the off-chance that anyone's missing some of the glory days of jolly competitive FPS - I would urge you not to skip trying some CS:GO. It'll take time and it'll take effort (for those who, like me, were rather non-plussed towards it's earlier incarnations at least), but if FPS and learning a somewhat complex, yet still skill-driven system is your thang, you honestly can't go far wrong here. In my freshly educated opinion, 'tis arguably the ultimate MP PC FPS at this point in time and that's from someone who's painfully shit at it. Besides, at 3 squid you'll make the cost back in selling crates and weapon skins on the market within a fortnight anyway.

G'wan ya slags. Play a real game.

edieditcannotfuckingtypeedit

You only need a single space after each period when starting a new sentence.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 12-22-2013 09:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

By the way, if anyone here plays SC2 HotS, please add me. My character name is fomoz #891 :)

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-23-2013 07:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck that game, I tried it when it released and it was a buggy unplayable piece of crap.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 12-23-2013 07:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you referring to SC2 HotS or CS:GO?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-23-2013 07:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CS:GO

More like CS: Don't GO... (in my best archer voice)

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 12-23-2013 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, bugs have probably been ironed out by now.
But I think I'll wait for Titanfall to get into MP shooters again.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-23-2013 08:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

titanfall does look quite delicious...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-23-2013 08:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you search for CS GO launch issues you'll find plenty of problems. Maybe they've been fixed now but I ain't shelling out money to find out, they shouldn't have released a game that wasn't ready for launch.

When I played I had a hard time getting anything to load and once it DID load I couldn't move my character outside of the starting area, I'd move and the game would just lag and I'd pop back where I started. It was for real, unplayable, not using arbitrary words I was simply unable to play. I may have even posted about it here.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 12-25-2013 02:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
If you search for CS GO launch issues you'll find plenty of problems. Maybe they've been fixed now but I ain't shelling out money to find out, they shouldn't have released a game that wasn't ready for launch.

When I played I had a hard time getting anything to load and once it DID load I couldn't move my character outside of the starting area, I'd move and the game would just lag and I'd pop back where I started. It was for real, unplayable, not using arbitrary words I was simply unable to play. I may have even posted about it here.

'

Yeah cuz PC games come out bugless right?

Stick to pretending to deal drugs Idiot.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-25-2013 04:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-30-2013 07:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Κracus wrote:

'

Yeah cuz PC games come out bugless right?

Stick to pretending to deal drugs Idiot.

First off, this was on xbox 360.

Second, I've forgotten more technical information about PC's and games and how they work than you'll know in your lifetime.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-30-2013 08:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't say it was competitive however...

If everyone is using the same input methods it doesn't really matter what system the game is played on, all that matters is that everyone is competing on the same level so if a controller is your thing why not? It takes just as much skill to be good with a controller as a mouse and keyboard.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-30-2013 08:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got a point lad

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-30-2013 08:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Except it's not.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-30-2013 09:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
oh, but it is. watch a PC match and watch a console match. the skill level at play would be a ratio of wtf:lol.

Nice ratio :olo:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-30-2013 10:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
oh, but it is. watch a PC match and watch a console match. the skill level at play would be a ratio of wtf:lol.

You don't really have to explain to me the difference between the two. I post on these boards because I played Quake 3. Early on before most of you even posted here I was actually one of the best players on these boards. We had a Q3W tournament at one point and another guy who doesn't post here anymore named ^rec beat me but it was a close match in the finale. Back then, pro gaming was just starting to be a thing and people like myself wanted to be a part of it even though we weren't really pro level competitive. Of course we also didn't dedicate 8+ hours a day playing a single game.

My point however is that I'm not a noob to the concepts and history of competitive gaming. I even have an MLG account that I compete with once in a while.

So I get it that there's a finer motor control aspect of a mouse and keyboard. However when I played Quake 3 my mouse and keyboard skills weren't the best but I beat players that were better than me and I did it because I had better map control, or I was better at being sneaky etc... There was even one dude that used to play here that just blew me away at how good he was with a 400+ ping. Then there were the really skilled guys that did it all like Julios. So there's more to an FPS than your ability to point and shoot and I think ultimately in terms of importance that skill falls 2nd or 3rd in skills that'll win you matches in an FPS and all those skills translate onto console games just as much as it does on a PC game.

And like I said previously, once you make everyone use the same input devices it no longer matters what's running the game.

I think the only real issue right now for games to actually have a professional platform is simply the way it's presented and by "presented" I mean it in every sense of the word. Graphics, editing and the way it's presented etc... I don't think they're going about it the right way trying to make it like other sports even though it's just as much a sport as any other is.

I think that since the arena's are no longer physical they need to make a way for the public to be able to watch what's going on in a virtual way. Like invisibly flying through a map to watch a match right in the field of play. I think that'll attract people. Being able to watch a hockey game on the ice for example or through the eyes of a specific player.

and I realize that's already possible and it's been done but it hasn't been presented properly yet to the general public that doesn't play these games. Then you run into semantics like yours about a console being "little league" when the majority of gamers play on consoles. It's pretty idiotic frankly. What matters is that gaming as a sport gains traction and trying to keep it complicated, er I mean on a PC, isn't how it's going to happen.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-30-2013 10:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you Quake Live? :)

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-30-2013 10:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I did briefly but someone stole my username as soon as it went out of closed beta and I never wound up getting into it.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-30-2013 10:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've just started (just had my first online game) - it's like riding a bike. We should play :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-30-2013 11:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol I can't say the same. I installed Q3 on my PC about 6 months ago and I was definitely not in the same form I was back in 1999 - 2004. It took me like 20 tries to jump the bridge to rail on q3dm6. Unfortunately right now I don't game on the PC at all. I haven't even connected my PC to the internet at home, I strictly play on the console, it's more comfy to sit on a couch...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-31-2013 02:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

took ,e 4 or 5 attempts to nail it but I was smashing that out in a 1v1 then. Get involved...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-31-2013 02:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I was definitely not in the same form I was back in 1999 - 2004..

that's funny cause in 1999-2004 you said you couldn't play Q3 with us; you didn't have a PC at home, and later did have one but without a CD drive.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-31-2013 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

>2004
>PC without CD drive

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.