Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-18-2020 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I finally remembered my q3w password so I can login on my PC instead of the 10 year old Mac I boot up once every 6 months that still has my PW saved in the field.

Hello everyone.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-18-2020 11:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whhheeeyyyyy there he is

How do breh?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-18-2020 11:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Image Image Image

That's a really cool set, far more complicated of a build than I was expecting. It's interesting how they managed to get all those 22.5-degree angle faces to snap into the central structure. I also got the Lunar Lander model, less interesting of a build, but looks great sitting next to the Apollo.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-18-2020 12:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I finished the build a day or two ago. Always nice to use every part and have no spares :)

I did make one or two errors in the build process in reading/skipping instructions, usually orientation, putting assembled sections in the wrong way :smirk:

Yes, a very interesting build like you say obsidian. They did a good job to get the rocket curve just right.I also like on this one the different joining/fixing techniques employed to make it all lock together.

That Lunar Lander model, would you recommend at all?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-18-2020 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I did that Saturn V with my son awhile back Whiskey. Great kit. We are currently working on that 7000+ piece Millennium Falcon. That one is a beast.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-18-2020 05:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's awesome tnf. Have you a place to store it for a while?

Display for a while perhaps and if so, I discovered some Perspex display cases on the web for Lego models. Just search 'Millennium Falcon display case' :up:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-18-2020 07:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
I finally remembered my q3w password so I can...

Fuck u...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-18-2020 09:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm still contemplating doing a display for my Saturn V like this:

It's cotton wool with LED lights in it.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-18-2020 11:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's really nice and near made my day :up: :D

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-19-2020 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that's pfg. is there a Falcon 9 Heavy model yet?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-19-2020 12:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is brilliant

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-20-2020 04:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
that's pfg. is there a Falcon 9 Heavy model yet?

Nope. And with Saturn V being here, I doubt they'll do another rocket.
There's this though: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/61ff157 ... a3088e4c48
and this: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/641c040 ... 43299f1f5e

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-20-2020 04:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There’s a chap on YT doing tank dioramas like this. Fascinating to watch.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-23-2020 07:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
I'm attempting to do DIY in my house. So I'm putting raised legs in the attic space and then doing the insulation and then raised leg boarding. I was going to do 60 stilt legs but once the insulation is down that's it; so I might upgrade to 180 legs and have more storage space that I actually need but it's there for future use...saving a good chunk of change by doing it myself :up:

Aannndddd I'm still going with this...had a busy week in work so didnt do any but had a good few hours on it today. Couldn't work out why the screws were not going in as expected and it was taking me ages to do; I'd chipped the drill bit so it was rounding them off. Popped a new bit in and I was flying...more tomorrow. Might bore you all with some pictures.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-26-2020 07:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-26-2020 01:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
That Lunar Lander model, would you recommend at all?

It's a significantly smaller and simpler set to build than the Apollo. There's some creative mix of orientation between segments of the ascender module. It looks pretty good sitting next to the Apollo.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-27-2020 11:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
......One of 5 LED ceiling lights started flickering. You guessed it, that style of fitting is no longer available so I replaced all 5 with new and I made sure the new were able to be dimmed. They flickered occasionally so I figured the dimmer switch too was 'old tech' and replaced it. Still happening.....

Gee, was it that long ago :smirk:

New dimmer supposedly :smirk: compatible caused more flickering so today I called a professional to quiz. He looked and said it was that new dimmer(?) and he'd remove it (no charge) and asked I go the the lighting shop, get a refund (alternative brand) and call him to install. I thought that a good idea in case of further issues and I started to document the history of this nightmare.

Deal done at the lighting shop. They were sympathetic, added they'd change the 5 LED down-lights if this new and expensive dimmer didn't work :up:

Got home and called the electrician. He was still in the area :up: but added he'd have to charge for the visit (first was free). He attended and installed this new fancy (expensive) dimmer... :tear: :tear: Bloody lights flicker more now than before :mad:

I called the lighting shop and they are to arrange their electrician attend... Watch this space...

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-28-2020 03:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks to me like your LED lights aren't designed to dim or if they are, they require a very specific dimmer.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-28-2020 09:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oil change and tune up and ready to ride. I shoulda taken better care of the chain when I put the bike away last winter though and it's looking pretty rough... any suggestions on chains? Might just stick with OEM, the one it came with was surprisingly durable.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-28-2020 12:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Looks to me like your LED lights aren't designed to dim or if they are, they require a very specific dimmer.

The two different make/model/manufacture of dimmers were listed in the install instructions for those LED down lights, lucky for me. I am starting to think batches of dimmer-able and non-dimmer-able have been mixed up in production.

See if the staff at the lighting shop honour their promise to change all 5 LED down-lights :smirk: if this new and expensive dimmer didn't work :up: I understood they were going to make a claim on the manufacturer at the end of the day....

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-28-2020 01:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Oil change and tune up and ready to ride. I shoulda taken better care of the chain when I put the bike away last winter though and it's looking pretty rough... any suggestions on chains? Might just stick with OEM, the one it came with was surprisingly durable.

How old is that bike? A year? Two, max? How many km did your do? It sounds a bit early to replace the chain. You'll be looking at new sprockets as well, most likely.
If you havent ridden in a while, there might be some surface rust on the chain. That isn't a problem, most of it will probably come off with a good clean or perhaps even after a short ride. Same with brake disks. Might get a little corrosion on the surface of you haven't ridden in a while. But ride a bit and brake hard a few times and you'll see the discs are squeeky clean again.

If you do decide to replace chain (and sprockets) I see no real reason to deviate from OEM stuff. Quality wise it'll be good and saving 500 grams by getting an aluminium rear sprocket isn't worth it for a road bike.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-28-2020 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wash -> chain cleaner + hard brush -> chain lube -> chain wax

Here's the combo kit I swear by, one application in winter helped the bike survive a 365-day riding season with no corrosion. Might be worth trying in case it's just surface shit.

And on the topic of bikes, mine's rocking new Michelin Road 5s, new front brake pads, and I just did the oil and coolant myself. Back in April I redid all the wiring for the heated grips, LED kit, and phone charger just so everything is neat and tidy. Just need to change the brake fluid and do a bleed on the rears and I'm set. Also rewarded myself with a new jacket and gloves :drool:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-28-2020 04:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had Harley do my 1000 mile service and I'm taking it in for the 5K service Sunday. I just want these two services logged by the dealership as being done. I've had it since Oct 25th and put around 6,200 miles on it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-28-2020 09:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:

Here's the combo kit I swear by, one application in winter helped the bike survive a 365-day riding season with no corrosion. Might be worth trying in case it's just surface shit.

And on the topic of bikes, mine's rocking new Michelin Road 5s, new front brake pads, and I just did the oil and coolant myself. Back in April I redid all the wiring for the heated grips, LED kit, and phone charger just so everything is neat and tidy. Just need to change the brake fluid and do a bleed on the rears and I'm set. Also rewarded myself with a new jacket and gloves :drool:

Don't forget to top up your blinkerfluid.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-29-2020 03:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Κracus wrote:

How old is that bike? A year? Two, max? How many km did your do? It sounds a bit early to replace the chain. You'll be looking at new sprockets as well, most likely.
If you havent ridden in a while, there might be some surface rust on the chain. That isn't a problem, most of it will probably come off with a good clean or perhaps even after a short ride. Same with brake disks. Might get a little corrosion on the surface of you haven't ridden in a while. But ride a bit and brake hard a few times and you'll see the discs are squeeky clean again.

If you do decide to replace chain (and sprockets) I see no real reason to deviate from OEM stuff. Quality wise it'll be good and saving 500 grams by getting an aluminium rear sprocket isn't worth it for a road bike.

Yeah it's only 2 years old, I have 20k on the odo. It is rusty, I probably didn't put any lube on the chain when I stored it and it was looking pretty rusty, it rode fine though, didn't feel loose or anything. I'm gonna buy a brush after work and see what I can do about just cleaning it off, no way the sprockets need to be changed yet though, they still look great.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-29-2020 03:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:

I use gear oil as chain lube, highly recommend it. I stay away from that wax crap, I used it for years and it was a constant struggle keeping the chain lubed properly. Gear oil is so good I forget to oil it on a regular basis because it does such a good job.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-29-2020 05:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Maxima wax does a great job of repelling water and dirt if you apply it correctly. You should give it a try.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-29-2020 06:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think that's what I was using before switching to gear oil. Seriously, it's way better. I was applying wax every before every ride. Gear oil is like once a week.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-29-2020 08:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hooray.

Staff at the lighting shop did honour their promise to change all 5 LED down-lights... I asked for an received a different brand.. Happy now :)
I'll hit their Manager up to reimburse the $90 for the electrician I need not have called in to prove it was (somehow) these 'compatible' and dimable LED down-lights.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-30-2020 05:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd like to see a picture or the make/model number of the LED driver in one of the fixtures. I'm willing to bet they weren't designed to be dimmed.

Line voltage dimming of LED fixtures is iffy. When you reduce the input voltage to the LED driver it often becomes unstable and causes the fixture to flicker (like yours) or only dim very little before it turns off completely. That's why all of the new installations are moving to low voltage dimming. Granted it requires and additional pair of 18ga. conductors to provide control, but at least the driver stays completely powered by the input voltage and the dimming occurs on the low voltage output side of the driver.

Last edited by YourGrandpa on 05-30-2020 06:14 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-30-2020 04:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You might loose the bet as I still monitor the warranty fixtures and the expensive dimmer. Both light fittings and dimmers are supposed to be dimable... Not that if should male too much different here but we are on 240v AC and you're on something different, 120v AC?

I've spent $300 so far so I am going the see this through...

As requested...

Image Image Image Image Image Image

To explain pictures
#1 is the new fitting replacing the CLA model purchased 5 May (#3)
# 2 is the CLA model light fitting & instructions showing 'compatible dimmers'. I bought the CLA-Trailing Edge Dimmer as told by the lighting shop owner/manager. This dimmer caused the CLA to flicker so I was sold the new Diginet Universal Dimmer (#4 &5) but it too caused flickering so got 5 new different brand LED light fittings (#6).

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-30-2020 05:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What you've purchased looks like a cheap retrofit kit. You can never be sure how that stuff is going to work.

GL. I'm curious to know how it turns out.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-30-2020 06:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What!

A retail lighting shop selling brand products at expected normal prices and installation by licensed electrical contractors. I think you lost the bet here.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-30-2020 06:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-30-2020 06:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the link. Cheaper than I paid so I might use them next time.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.