Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 12-05-2020 02:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It’s a thing with people in Amsterdam, Brabant, Rotterdam and indeed, also the Veluwe

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-05-2020 08:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
old b&w photos of coal miners have been removed from the walls of pubs because their coaldust-smeared faces reminded someone of blackface

and by 'someone' i mean 'a witless shitgoblin' :|

In other news, textbooks across North America will be switching from "trans fatty acids" to "inverse fatty acids" as the association with negative health impacts of these fatty acids can cause harm to the trans community.

(this is fake news, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some efforts like this pop up).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-05-2020 10:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wouldn't be surprising. The term "master" in the world of programming source code versioning control (Git, mainly) has come under fire as well as some people feel it's inappropriate due to the slavery past of the US. The term "master" has nothing to do with a master/slave relationship or primary/secondary level of importance or anything. It's more akin to the master copy of a music album.

Related to this, with trans people in particular, I've read a few things about the transition from actress Ellen Page into Elliot Page. That's all fine with me, no problems there, but I'm kind of appalled by how people just fall over themselves to be the most politically correct person to discuss it. Suddenly there's all these rules of what you can and can't say, how you can or can't refer to someone, and all this terminology that suddenly crops up. And if you aren't fluent in this trans-speak then obviously you're a bigot and transphobic asshole. In fact, there are people who would burn me at the stake simply for the fact that I referred to this person as Ellen Page, which is the name associated with the former identity and is now considered to be the person's deadname. Actually using this name is a capital sin.

I have to add here, this is not a complaint aimed at Elliot Page. These statements do not come from him. It's the droves of "look-at-me-being-super-pc-and-thoughtful" morons that follow in his wake.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-05-2020 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the pendulum of social progress is probably just swinging a little too far in one direction right now. Things will self-correct in time; there's already a lot of backlash to the super-woke movement.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-05-2020 12:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah but so far that backlash into translating into any of their bullshit getting rolled back

for instance: https://tnc.news/2020/12/05/canadian-fo ... diversity/

guy publishes an op-ed criticising immigration policy based off other people's research and gets his application to join the Canadian naval reserves turned down

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-05-2020 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
old b&w photos of coal miners have been removed from the walls of pubs because their coaldust-smeared faces reminded someone of blackface
and by 'someone' i mean 'a witless shitgoblin' :|

PC gone mad :smirk:

[xeno]Julios wrote:
In other news, textbooks across North America will be switching from "trans fatty acids" to "inverse fatty acids" as the association with negative health impacts of these fatty acids can cause harm to the trans community.
(this is fake news, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see some efforts like this pop up).

The mention of "trans fatty acids" :olo:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-05-2020 03:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
I think the pendulum of social progress is probably just swinging a little too far in one direction right now. Things will self-correct in time; there's already a lot of backlash to the super-woke movement.

I think there's some truth in this, but I do fear that this is a bit more than society trying to find the right equilibrium. While the emotion behind this movement has authentic provenance (many communities suffer greatly due to systemic inequality that has propagated through history), the ideological underpinnings of the woke movement are likely to cause some real harm. I think Martin Luther King would be horrified at the toxic garbage being put forth by the likes of Robin DiAngelo and Ibram Kendi.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-05-2020 08:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree some of the language used is concerning, but it's the vocal minority. And I think the forcefulness of the far left's message is brought about by the echo chamber that the internet facilitates. When all your news sources keep showing you cops killing black men, you're liable to think there's an epidemic when in reality Facebook is just trying to keep you engaged.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-06-2020 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
I think Martin Luther King would be horrified at the toxic garbage being put forth by the likes of Robin DiAngelo and Ibram Kendi.

this x 1,000

fuck these two charlatans

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-06-2020 01:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who wants a fairly comprehensive explanation of the festivities surrounding Sinterklaas and the controversy around Zwarte Piet, as told by a Canadian immigrant should watch this

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-17-2020 06:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was time for a new car.

This thing is quick... :eek:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 12:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What car did you buy that Geoff could only dream of owning?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 12:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like the interior of a Tesla Model 3

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 04:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

Damn dude you get yourself a Tesla? Good choice, keep us updated on how it runs/works for ya I'm always interested in hearing what Tesla owners think. I was very close to buying one but at the time I had to travel too much for work. Now that I'm more sedentary I might go that route in the future.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 04:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hopefully his roof doesn't spontaneously explode... Tesla says it's a feature not a design flaw... :olo: ...

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 05:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

2021 Tesla Model 3 long range with auto drive.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 05:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Too poor to afford the performance trim... :olo: ...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 05:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:

2021 Tesla Model 3 long range with auto drive.

Lovely stuff. I did think Tesla and then thought it couldn't be as you rack up the miles (or used to). Didn't know if the range on a Tesla would have worked for you. Congrats - beaut of a car.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 06:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*buys a new car*

*posts a picture of the console*

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 07:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

Congrats! These cars are truly great. Did you opt for the autopilot option?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 07:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
*buys a new car*

*posts a picture of the console*

It's his friend's car...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 07:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:

I sure hope so, we've all seen his riding skills :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 07:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Damn dude you get yourself a Tesla? Good choice, keep us updated on how it runs/works for ya I'm always interested in hearing what Tesla owners think. I was very close to buying one but at the time I had to travel too much for work. Now that I'm more sedentary I might go that route in the future.

My colleague owns a Model 3 and is very happy with it. It doesn't have the full autopilot features though. That's an $8000 DLC package.
He let me drive the car for a bit and its a lot of fun to have all the torque available at any moment. It pulls like no car I've ever ridden. I can take him in a drag race on my bike though :D
Driving a Model S must be insane. That pulls even harder than a Model 3.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FACT: Friend purchased a Model 3 early from a private owner in California. We did a cross-country trip from California to Florida.

From that point, I knew Tesla was one of the best things I've ever driven. The customer service stories from everyone who chatted us up as we charged were nothing short of constant praise on the direct-customer relationship model Tesla has established over the dealership model.

Cannot wait to purchase mine.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 08:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good road trip, that :up:

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's some pics that were snapped from that trip which appears to be from 2018. This was when the Model 3 was only single motor (this was a long-range model with autopilot)

https://www.raw-one.com/picz/teslatrip/

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If u go to a Tesla dealership, test drive the model s. They let you drive without an employee and they give u a car with ludicrous mode... Cuz they want u to buy it. That shit is off the hook. Guaranteed reaction is insane laughter...

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 10:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been in a Tesla Model S with ludicrous mode. When it was punched I felt like I could feel my organs hit the back of my rib cage. :olo:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Lovely stuff. I did think Tesla and then thought it couldn't be as you rack up the miles (or used to). Didn't know if the range on a Tesla would have worked for you. Congrats - beaut of a car.

I bought my wife the car for Christmas. She commutes over 100 miles round trip to work. The increased range on the 2021 is 350+, so it should be more than sufficient. I however still have my A5 and do plenty of driving.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 12:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:

Yes and like the auto-drive the "Acceleration Boost" is DLC. For $2K you can improve your 0-60 mph acceleration from 4.2 seconds to 3.7 seconds. I'll end up getting it at some point.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 12:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Friend of mine has an S P100D. Made me feel sick after a few launches, you can’t help but grin.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gramps pulling a kracus... :olo: ...

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Yes and like the auto-drive the "Acceleration Boost" is DLC. For $2K you can improve your 0-60 mph acceleration from 4.2 seconds to 3.7 seconds. I'll end up getting it at some point.

Nice! I'm planning on getting a Model 3 performance package with the auto-pilot/drive in the near future. My current car is paid off and just didn't want more payments. However, since my 2018 Tesla experience, Tesla was the only car I ever planned on buying moving forward.

Congrats again on the new car!

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 02:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The holidays keep on giving. I just got a text that my custom speaker lids are done. I wanted to put a pair of JL 8.8s on the bike, but no one made lids that looked good and worked with the speaker. So I had an associate build me a pair. They took so long I wasn't sure when I would get them. I guess it's Merry Christmas to me.

I had him spray the speaker grills to match.

Last edited by YourGrandpa on 12-18-2020 03:00 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-18-2020 02:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:

Nice! I'm planning on getting a Model 3 performance package with the auto-pilot/drive in the near future. My current car is paid off and just didn't want more payments. However, since my 2018 Tesla experience, Tesla was the only car I ever planned on buying moving forward.

Congrats again on the new car!

Thanks and good luck with your purchase.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.