Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-18-2021 05:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In other news I'm trying to learn to play guitar and my fingers hurt.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 06-18-2021 11:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Won’t be long before you’re pro and been playing since 2007

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-18-2021 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus jammed with Steve Vai and even taught Jimi Hendrix a thing or two about riffing. That was right around the second time he got knighted by the queen and wrote the short story that became the plot for The Matrix.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-18-2021 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i heard it was Kracus who came up with the riffs for both More Than A Feeling and Smells Like Teen Spirit but couldn't be bothered to write them down. i've also heard he taught Neil Peart everything he knew about drumming. i've also heard that Kracus is secretly Steve Albini in his spare time when he's not acting as Earth's ambassador to Zyxt

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-18-2021 08:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
........temperatures down-under there now?

Early Winter here and glorious weather but be warned, the weather bureau here is
atrocious at forecasting with any accuracy.

Queensland Australia average temperatures in June
Temperature June max. 20°C | 68°F
Temperature June min. 11°C | 53°F

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-20-2021 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like it a lot on the cooler side of things. So, noted. Australia after Iceland would be the next more exotic places to visit, go there in June/July :). Or is it raining-season around now?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-20-2021 02:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
I like it a lot on the cooler side of things. So, noted. Australia after Iceland would be the next more exotic places to visit, go there in June/July :). Or is it raining-season around now?

You off to Iceland? Holiday snaps/pictures would be nice.

Here in Australia, the weather is in general, beautiful all year round I suggest. A bit cooler down Tasmania (much like New Zealand weather there) and tropical in FNQ (Far North Queensland). If interested click here for our bureau of meteorology :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-21-2021 03:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, I just articulated myself realy badly :).

I'm not off to Iceland anytime soon, no. Although I'd very much like to do so. Rather sooner than later.
I'm trying to save for travels to places that sound interesting to me.
Iceland in general being one of them. Travel's quite expensive, though. Accomodation and cost of living off restaurants is outright ridiculous.

I generally prefer cooler weather. Tropical is not my idea of fun.

Australia, Tasmania or NZ are on the other side of the globe from me. Very expensive to get there (3000€ish). So, I'm just trying to gather good info on what time of the year it climately (is that right in english?) would fit best into my preferences.

Thank you for that link.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-29-2021 04:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
obsidian wrote:
Not sure what a salon table is (is that where you keep your curling irons, Eraser?), but yes, tensegrity structures can be quite strong, and there are tables and much larger structures.

lol sorry, I mixed up dutch and english there. I meant to say a coffee table.

A tastefully designed tensegrity table would be kind of neat IMO.

Saw this on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinterest ... dad_built/

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-29-2021 10:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice. There are certainly some gravity defying tensegrity creations out there. My birthday present (previous page) is still on prominent display in my office :) When I saw it, I just had to buy it :smirk: still loving its' quirkiness.

Re: What is new in your little world, me, I am off sailing again in about two weeks, same boat and Captain (?) owner, plus two local 'hard core' yacht people. Looking forward to it immensely. Should be 7 to 10 days off the Queensland Australia coastline about Hamilton Island, flying home as the yacht competes in regattas & racing events which I am not cut out for (thankfully) :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-30-2021 10:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Check out old man Whiskey here, flexing his new extravagant yachting lifestyle!

Have fun and enjoy the trip!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-31-2021 04:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What a flex it is!
Good luck and fun Whiskey :).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-01-2021 01:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Right now I'm camping in a tent somewhere in France. Not quite as glorious as Whiskey's boating adventures but a welcome change of pace for mere mortals like us.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-01-2021 02:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Right now I'm camping in a tent somewhere in France. Not quite as glorious as Whiskey's boating adventures but a welcome change of pace for mere mortals like us.

Sounds just spot on, this tent camping. Are you far enough away from the city light pollution to see stars I wonder :)
I love the bush & outdoors and I would swap with you, no problems Eraser but I do look forward to the sailing escapade.

I am also in a quandary re this '.. new extravagant yachting lifestyle.. ' you suggest. Do I take white, red or just some beers :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-01-2021 11:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Men of your stature exclusively drink gin tonics, no? ;)

And yes, we're far away from light pollution to get a good view of the night sky. The sad thing is that it's been a bit overcast the past few nights.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-03-2021 04:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

G & T, I used to but it went down too quickly. I missed the enjoyment of an icy cold beer :) and I am looking for to star gazing from the boat :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-05-2021 07:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just watched the press conference by Valentino Rossi. He announced his retirement from MotoGP. It's quite a big deal to me (and many other people) because Rossi has been a consistent presence in the MotoGP paddock for the past 26 years. Not having him there in 2022 will be strange.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-05-2021 07:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm gonna feel that when Raikkonen retires from F1 :tear:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-05-2021 03:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
I'm gonna feel that when Raikkonen retires from F1 :tear:

Yup :(

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-30-2021 01:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think I found my Christmas gift to self :D and here's a link to the Lego.com shop with more pictures & detail.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-02-2021 11:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LEGO should do sets for other defunct technology, like a fax machine or a Sony Walkman or this forum :idea:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-02-2021 12:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They could do Q3W themed sets, like YGP's head, which is perfectly sculptable out of just 2x2 square bricks. Or Kracus' VW GTI set, which could just be an empty box. Or the Duhard set, which is 10,000 randomly assorted bricks. It sure is a lot but amounts to absolutely nothing.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-02-2021 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-02-2021 11:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus :olo:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-03-2021 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
They could do Q3W themed sets, like YGP's head, which is perfectly sculptable out of just 2x2 square bricks. Or Kracus' VW GTI set, which could just be an empty box. Or the Duhard set, which is 10,000 randomly assorted bricks. It sure is a lot but amounts to absolutely nothing.

don't forget LEGO Bellavista, a tastelessly decorated house that falls apart when you blow on it

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-21-2021 10:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Currently sitting in the high-speed train from Rotterdam to Paris. Spending the day in Paris with my eldest daughter. She wanted to see the Eiffel Tower so yeah, why not :)

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 10-22-2021 02:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sounds like fun, enjoy!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-22-2021 12:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Currently sitting in the high-speed train from Rotterdam to Paris. Spending the day in Paris with my eldest daughter. She wanted to see the Eiffel Tower so yeah, why not :)

Nice Dad.. and yes, why not :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-22-2021 01:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was a long but good day. We went to the top of the Eiffel Tower, saw and climbed the Arc de Triomphe and walked through the Champs Elysees.

It's pretty amazing you can just hop on the train in Rotterdam in the morning (granted, you need to book well in advance) and 2 and a half hours later you're in Paris. It's not as cheap as I'd like and you need to plan your trip a few weeks in advance, but doing a day of shopping in Paris becomes feasible this way.

Try the same with a car and you're looking at a 5 - 5.5hr drive.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 10-23-2021 02:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is amazing! I wish they would get high speed rail over here in the U.S.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-23-2021 06:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you need high speed brains before high speed trains

guru
guru
PostPosted: 10-23-2021 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

About to finish that 7500 piece Lego Millennium Falcon with my son.

He wants to try the 9000+ piece Titanic that is available in November, but we are running out of places to keep these damn things.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-23-2021 06:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:

He wants to try the 9000+ piece Titanic that is available in November, but we are running out of places to keep these damn things.

Nice. Is that the most recent in the cube box? How was the build?

Re: What is new in your little world, I just picked up an old Lego Technic set/model in new new condition, one to add to my growing collection and one I missed out on years ago, about the time I started :) It is the 42054 CLAAS XERION 5000 TRAC VC

I am to check the parts inventory and then wrap for Christmas :D :D

guru
guru
PostPosted: 10-26-2021 07:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
tnf wrote:

Nice. Is that the most recent in the cube box? How was the build?

That is the most recent - build was good - has taken us forever because we've gone for a month or two here or there not doing anything on it.

I have a Technic Ferrari 488GTE waiting to be built next, and I've also got the Seinfeld set.

That kit you've shown there looks nice - great find to get one in new like condition.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-28-2021 04:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:

Holy shit - https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/lego-titanic-10294

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.