Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-27-2022 03:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o rly :olo: :olo: :olo:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-27-2022 03:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let's take this thread through the roof! :olo: :olo: :olo:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-27-2022 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

200 pages, 1,212,528 views, started 01-27-2014 and the first post....

Whiskey 7 wrote:
OK, here is your chance.

We have all built swimming pools or taken to lifting weights, and even I have booked a New Zealand holiday but this topic is to tell us (if you care) what is happening in your neck of the woods today.

Today, well my brother is visiting and that is a milestone event as he rarely visits; so I spent the morning sprucing up the place. You know by now of course, I am near anal when it come to cleanliness and presentation :)

.... and, just to add, I have spent the last days, culminating this morning on getting my PC in order: By that I mean, backing up all data to an external HDD after finally & thankfully resolving my BSOD issues :D

I have 3 brothers and no other has visited since :smirk:

Cheers Quake 3 World

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-27-2022 06:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: :olo: :olo: walk into a bar...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-27-2022 10:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, 200 pages already? Time flies really fast.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-19-2022 06:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Times flies for sure.

I discovered the tyres on my push bike were a little worse for wear and on checking with my son who used to work in a bike shop, I find my pushy is 15 years old :eek:

Now my neighbour bought an electric (assist) bike about 12 months ago and was thinking to upgrade so guess what? Yes you're right, I just bought it after a big ride. Marvelous for that assist power. Every hill now seems or is going to seem relatively easy for these legs and $3K AUD for a bike :smirk: Who'd imagine.

Interesting machines and the technology, yes, leaps and bounds in the past few years.

EDIT: Forgot to add, I finished the LEGO Technic Liebherr R 9800 Excavator - (42100) build and it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience over a few days. It even works/moves about as it is supposed too, confirming all gears are in the right spots :D

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 08-20-2022 04:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got married on Monday.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 08-20-2022 04:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I suppose that counts :)

Congrats raw!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-20-2022 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-20-2022 05:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
i'm doing a black chick

i wonder if this is still happening 8 years later

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 08-20-2022 09:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vesp wrote:
Well I suppose that counts :)

Congrats raw!

Thank you! :)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-20-2022 11:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gg rawbert :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-20-2022 12:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congratulations raw. Reading this made me realise I'm far too old to make jokes about virginity now.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-20-2022 02:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:
Got married on Monday.

Congratulations raw :up: Wishing you many happy days ahead :D

Eraser wrote:
Congratulations raw. Reading this made me realise I'm far too old to make jokes about virginity now.

You're never too old Eraser :)

:arrow: seremtan

What made you think of this? I just had to check/search & find posted: 01-27-2014 04:18 PM

seremtan wrote:
Tsakali wrote:
i'm doing a black chick

i wonder if this is still happening 8 years later

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-21-2022 01:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Go to page 1, quote post the first thing that catched my eye

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-21-2022 07:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Go to page 1, quote post the first thing that catched my eye

Now I see :D some 8 years later.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-21-2022 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This thread is a pretty nifty time capsule of the last 8 years. It's cool seeing how much our lives have changed and how gwamps has managed to be the same boring blockheaded buffoon year after year.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-22-2022 12:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's some pictures of the BMW M1000RR Lego set I built back in April

The box

The bike has a fully functional 3-speed linear gearbox. The gear lever can be pushed up/down to switch gearing.

The full 4-inline engine assembly.

Start of the frame assembly

The frame with the engine mounted in.

Part of the exhaust system, with Akrapovic decals

Showing the size of the front forks

Rear assembly with the drivetrain and visible rear shock absorber.

Complete rear assembly with frame, engine, subframe, drivetrain, swingarm and rear wheel.

Front steering unit assembly

Fully assembled the bike's internal geometry.

Front head piece

Front with a piece of fairing attached

Fully assembled bike including fairing

Size comparison with the previous Lego bike model, the Ducati Panigale V4R.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-22-2022 03:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^^ That is some serious Lego-ing.

I fly home in two days. More than ready, I've been sleeping on the floor for the past three months.

Had hoped to get a beta of the level I'm working on out the door before I jet, but it's only about 80% done.

When I get back we may be about to finalize a house sale, so that'll be straight into all that packing and moving stuff. Then I need to look for a new job!

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-22-2022 07:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The UK was a better place for you being here

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-22-2022 10:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't make it south to grab some beers with you bud. Next time.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-22-2022 12:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

maybe we can come to you and you can get us a round of DB at Quinns Post

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-22-2022 12:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's going on in your world.

My best friend* broke up with me.
Since the day she and I met it was on, having this Intrinsic connection and chemistry that launched a thousand inside jokes and mannerisms. For years we spoke to eachother daily and hung out at least 3 times a month if not more.
I've seen her through the best and the worst, supporting her throughout whatever was going on, including getting laid off, a breakup with her partner (who turned out had someone on the side), covid panic, and whatnot.
Then one day I get a wall of text message saying she's going to need some space while she "re-arranges her life", and how she doesn't "owe a further explanation". I replied that I understand and to take all the time she needs, and that if she needs anything I'll be here for her.
That was the last contact we had, she never replied and I've never heard from her again.
There was no leadup or warning. It literally went from her being at my place saying how I'm her best friend and how I know her best, to that message in less than a week. She has since systematically removed me from all platforms.

This was six months ago and this is the first time I'm talking about it.

She has tried to badmouth me with two mutual friends; one of which sadly took the bait and also immediately stopped talking to me.
I directly elected not to participate in any of that, figuring that at least one should be the adult in all this.
I have no idea what happened and will probably never know.
All I know is I got ousted by two friends practically simultaneously - three days before my birthday to add insult to injury - and I cannot overstate the damage this has done emotionally as well as to my ego.

People, they are the worst.

*platonic best friend; me and the wife are still together, 15 years strong now.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-22-2022 03:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:arrow: Shit MKJ! That's heart tearing and I feel for you :tear:

Weird how some people can do that to another. Like giving up 'cold turkey' I guess but I don't understand why the need here in your relationship given it seemed so stable. Just weird! Still, thanks for sharing such a personal story. I do hope it helps somewhat to ease the parting pain....

:arrow: Foo, sounds like your world is busy busy :)

:arrow: Eraser, that's a really nice build and the progress pictures appreciated. The Mrs was looking for something for me for Christmas so I might 'drop the hint'.

:arrow: Captain, yes, a time capsule for sure but then so is Q3W :D
Captain wrote:
This thread is a pretty nifty time capsule of the last 8 years. It's cool seeing how much our lives have changed ....................

Re: What is new in my world, I went for a 2 + hour ride on my new Giant brand Talon E+2 late yesterday. Nice to have that electric assist at the end, climbing a hill I used to push up on similar rides. Legs are not sore but the bum is :smirk: because of the new slimline and harder seat. Guess I'll get used to it. And yes, I am reading the manual this AM. Late, but I am RTFM :D

EDIT: Some hours later, having dropped the 'hint' , I think I've found one, so thank you Eraser for my Christmas gift :up:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-23-2022 02:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

Since the day she and I met it was on, having this Intrinsic connection and chemistry that launched a thousand inside jokes and mannerisms. For years we spoke to eachother daily and hung out at least 3 times a month if not more.
I've seen her through the best and the worst, supporting her throughout whatever was going on, including getting laid off, a breakup with her partner (who turned out had someone on the side), covid panic, and whatnot.
Then one day I get a wall of text message saying she's going to need some space while she "re-arranges her life", and how she doesn't "owe a further explanation". I replied that I understand and to take all the time she needs, and that if she needs anything I'll be here for her.
That was the last contact we had, she never replied and I've never heard from her again.
There was no leadup or warning. It literally went from her being at my place saying how I'm her best friend and how I know her best, to that message in less than a week. She has since systematically removed me from all platforms.

She has tried to badmouth me with two mutual friends; one of which sadly took the bait and also immediately stopped talking to me.
I directly elected not to participate in any of that, figuring that at least one should be the adult in all this.
All I know is I got ousted by two friends practically simultaneously - three days before my birthday to add insult to injury - and I cannot overstate the damage this has done emotionally as well as to my ego.

That sucks the fucking balls man - shit like that really boils my piss.
Did she have a partner? Do you think her feelings might have changed towards you? So she no longer wanted to be in the friend zone but knew you were in a good place with your wife and didn't want deal with that? People do shitty stuff when they are in emotional turmoil; the mutual friend thing is a classic example of doing stuff to make herself feel better about a situation with little regard to how others might react and perceive you. It's a shame man. *wub*

Next time I am in Cloggyland I will buy you a pint

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 08-23-2022 03:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

What a shitty way to conclude a friendship. You'd think that after all this time, some sort of closure would be warranted. Makes me question the quality of the friendship to begin with.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-24-2022 12:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some news from me. My family is going to vacation to Croatia on an island in the sea. Sadly, I cannot participate as I need to attend school just few week after the vacation and my dormitory expects me to show up during the vacation, which would be quite impossible for me to handle. But hopefully my family will take lots of photos and videos from the vacation so I can at least virtually experience how they're having fun there once they return, and of course I'd love to receive some short updates from my mom, including some pics, so I can have an insight while it's ongoing.

As for my work, I finally got something to do. Not what I initially signed up for, but it's quite good. I've got management of service and revisions for a specific customer. I can't give you details obviously, but yesterday I did overtime, it was quite full load of new requests :D

And as for MKJ, I feel so sorry for you man. That sucks.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-24-2022 02:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just back to work in the office after working from home after 3 weeks.
I had an eye operation to replace the plastic lens that had come away in my right eye earlier this year (around March time)*.

I was conscious for the operation this time, and that was a surreal experience; I would describe it as being a bit like an animated version of the cover of Pink Floyd's "Meddle":

It was particularly disconcerting seeing a needle coming in from stage left and hoovering up various bits and bobs, while realising it was actually coming in from the right.

Post-op, the eye hurt like a bastard periodically for the past 3 weeks, but has settled down now.
I was advised not to do any exercise in order not to put any undue pressure on the eye, so was cooped up at home in the blistering heat. That, combined with the pain, really took it out of me and resulted in mild physical and mental depression.

I'm therefore quite happy to be back in the office and interacting with people again.

But weirdly, I'm glad I was conscious for the operation this time. It was an incredible experience, and if you're ever unfortunate enough to be in the position where someone has to operate on your eye/s, I strongly recommend opting to stay conscious if you can.

I have to go back in a month to get the stitch removed from the eye.
That will be... interesting.

*Not sure if I ever posted it here, but my eye's the result of an attack back in 2006, where I suffered a 4mm tear in the back of the eye and a detached retina, as well as having the lens replaced with the aforementioned plastic one. Five operations in 2006 for blurry, double vision. But it's better than none.
And as a party trick, I can make one eye move independently of the other :D

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-24-2022 02:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, forgot another odd thing about the post-op experience; in order to bump up pressure in the eye after poking around in it, the surgeon injected an air bubble.
The end result was that for the following week, my eye had a visible horizon line in it, like airplane instrumentation, that would take a while to catch up and level out when I moved my head quickly :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-24-2022 04:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
But weirdly, I'm glad I was conscious for the operation this time. It was an incredible experience, and if you're ever unfortunate enough to be in the position where someone has to operate on your eye/s, I strongly recommend opting to stay conscious if you can.

Fuck no. All I can think of while reading that is the drill pushing down into Picard's retina in First Contact :tard:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-24-2022 07:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-24-2022 08:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Oh, forgot another odd thing about the post-op experience; in order to bump up pressure in the eye after poking around in it, the surgeon injected an air bubble.
The end result was that for the following week, my eye had a visible horizon line in it, like airplane instrumentation, that would take a while to catch up and level out when I moved my head quickly :D

WTF :olo: :up:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-24-2022 10:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That reminds me. My dad was at eyes surgery the other day, of course 1 week between the both eyes (first less dominant eye, then week of rehabilitation, then the other, more dominant eye, and another week of rehabilitation). He had his lenses replaced. Now he doesn't need to wear glasses. My dad had astigmatism, surgery removed that.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-25-2022 12:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
My dad had astigmatism, surgery removed that.

Removed what? The astigmatism or your dad?

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 08-25-2022 04:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.