Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-25-2022 05:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
CZghost wrote:
My dad had astigmatism, surgery removed that.

Removed what? The astigmatism or your dad?

:olo: I should have been more specific. Astigmatism of course.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-26-2022 04:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I'm selling my house.

About 2 years ago I was in a motorcycle accident (dirtbike) and hurt my back pretty bad. I still ride every day mind you but I was having difficulty doing any heavy lifting and general maintenance at the house so I decided to move uptown closer to work and arranged to rent the house. The tenants I rented to seemed nice at first but turned out to be absolute fucking dirtbags. The final straw was when I caught them breaking into my barn and attempt to steal my dirtbike so I had them evicted. On the way out, they caused thousands in damages, including breaking the water main going into the house.

After they were removed, I put the house up for sale back in March, the market was was on fire at the time. I was getting roughly a dozen offers every day. The first people to arrive with a deposit were a nice couple, 2 kids from a rich neighborhood nearby. The house was in disrepair at the time because of the previous tenants and I hadn't even started cleanup yet and the husband offered to do the cleanup. I accepted the help since I was still recovering and checked up a few days later and sure enough he'd done a fantastic job. They'd done a full inspection of the home and I dropped the price for them given the damage caused by the previous tenants. A day later, the husband asks if it was ok for him to take care of some of the water damage that had occured downstairs as there was a bit of mold down there and since he'd done such a great job with the cleanup I said sure, he'd given me a fair deposit at this point and I was going to gut the basement anyway so I didn't figure he could do much down there that I'd have a problem with.

A few days later I dropped by to check and I was floored. he hadn't just cleaned up the mold. he'd gutted the whole house, dug up around the entire foundation, installed a brand new french drain, sealed the entire foundation and repaired a few cracks I wasn't aware of, a new roof had been fully installed and he was in the progress of installing all new windows/doors. At this point I told him I hadn't agreed to any of this, there wasn't even anything wrong with the roof although it was getting old and I advised him he hadn't even purchased the property yet.

So this is just a few weeks in at this point and closing was meant to be Apr 30th, we were April 15th at this point and myself and my lawyer were waiting for them to send in the purchase agreement. So I contacted him to see what the holdup was as I figured, there's no way he's not buying at this point as he's sunk in roughly 30-40k in material alone, not even including the labor. That's when he asked me for an extension, indicating he'd had a flood at his current house and needed to repair that before moving out. he offered to increase his deposit, which I agreed and took it off the total owed for the house. I figured, that's fair.

Work continued on the house, new walls, new ceilings, new electrical, new plumbing everything was looking good. These guys were working hard too, both he and his wife were spending long hours at the house working on the reno's, I'm talking 12+ hours a day over June/July. Each month they were paying me for the delays and I was substracting that from the total amount on the home, the deal was that by the end of August they'd have an appraiser assess the home and get a mortgage based on the assessed value. They certainly seemed to have a lot of money too, nice cars, multiple homes and they seemed like hard workers.

That's when I got the news that the guy got arrested near the end of July. I returned to the house the next day and I find him squatting there with some other girl. He's surprised I'm there as I'd been keeping an eye from a distance and he also didn't know that I knew he'd been arrested. So I confronted him about this and that's when he starts telling about how he's done time as an arms dealer and that he was sought for a multiple homicide and how he needs a place to stay after being released from jail with his ankle bracelet. I wasn't having it though, he tried to intimidate me into staying but I had him out of there in a matter of a day.

Meanwhile, whilst he was in jail, his ex wife apparently felt entitled to strip the house of all the new cabinets they'd bought, along with the flooring and siding to the house. She'll be getting a call from my lawyer soon.

Now I have a partially renovated house for sale and the market is not as fiery as it was back in March. I'm not entirely sure what to do at this point. I may just finish the reno's myself and rent it out again, I'd rather just have it sold and be done with it, surprisingly, I had the house assessed and it's worth more than I was originally asking for it (which was already 3x what I paid for it) however there's so little interest in the housing market right now. I went from getting 15 calls a day for a home that needed major repairs to 2-3 calls a week for a house that's basically new but missing a few things.

Wish me luck. :/

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-26-2022 04:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That sucks, man. Hopefully you'll find a buyer who will be decent and will take a good care for the house.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-26-2022 06:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, the bike. road trip tomorrow.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-26-2022 10:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hell of a housing story Κracus and I wish you all the best of luck getting out of the predicament.
Edit: Nice bike BTW.

Edit: Hours later, I am off on a little holiday for a few days. See ya :D

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-29-2022 11:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone believe him?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-30-2022 02:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Anyone believe him?

Belief is neither here nor there with Kracus I find. It's a fun little story.
I suspect the events were true, just embellished to make them more dramatic (for example, "arms dealer" sounds more glamorous than "junkie").

I used to work with a guy who was a compulsive liar. The thing is, he knew that you knew he was lying through his teeth, so exchanges with him became fun little games of just how far you could push him.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-30-2022 03:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The arms dealer in question.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brun ... -1.4150468

Also, the half reno'd house for sale.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2478 ... saint-john

I may be taking the listing down soon though, I've been working on it now for a week or so and I think I may wind up just finishing the reno's myself and keeping the house. I may rent it or move back in, not sure yet.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-30-2022 08:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought you got mad and left us…

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-30-2022 10:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3World, where you can check out any time, but you can never leave.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-30-2022 11:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

/guitar solo

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 08-31-2022 03:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

Reminds me of this commercial. "They check in but they never check out"

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-31-2022 10:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Had a chance to go see Henry Rollins recently and regret not going. :( big fan.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-01-2022 06:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Had a chance to go see Henry Rollins recently and regret not going. :( big fan.

Legend of a man

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-01-2022 07:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never heard of him :shrug:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-01-2022 08:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-01-2022 11:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just realized the roach commercial has nothing to do with the band black flag...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-01-2022 07:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

Just returned from that little escape I (might have) mentioned and this was lovely to read <3 :up: :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-01-2022 11:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

Oh actually, I think I do know him

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-02-2022 01:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He, somewhat ironically, also played a neo-Nazi in Sons of Anarchy.

He's a great raconteur, and his music ain't too shabby either (if you like punk.)
His story about the ongoing, unspoken competition he had with Iggy Pop is epic, and very funny.

Last edited by Mat Linnett on 09-02-2022 04:16 AM, edited 1 time in total.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 09-02-2022 03:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I just realized the roach commercial has nothing to do with the band black flag...

:olo:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-02-2022 06:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
So I'm selling my house.

Hell of a story, man. Too bad you couldn't sell it at the height of the market, but at least you got a free reno and a higher appraisal out of the ordeal. It's still a seller's market, you would do well offloading the house this year. Wait any longer and I'd suggest renting it out, at least until the market becomes more favorable to sellers again. Just make sure you do a thorough background check. And do your own maintenance and yard work so you can keep an eye on the place. :up:

I've been dealing with two of my own evictions lately. I inherited all 9 of my tenants when I bought 3 buildings last year, with 2 bad apples. One tenant lives in complete squalor. Rather than take his dog outside to shit, he lets it shit in his house and harden, and only then will he pick it up and throw it out. His cat's litter box hasn't been changed in months, and there's cat vomit behind furniture all over. Cockroaches running all over, every surface in the kitchen is sticky, there's a water leak in the living room ceiling, and the 2nd floor bathroom floor is rotted and falling apart. I can smell their apartment from across the street. The WORST place I've ever seen in my life, and I've been a home insurance inspector for a decade. Needless to say, they are getting the boot. It's a shame, because they always pay rent on time, and they will be hard-pressed to find a place this cheap.

The other tenant getting evicted, on the other hand, hasn't paid any rent since last October. The eviction process can drag on and on in Vermont, especially when the tenant knows how to work the system. The icing on the cake is that he's brazenly selling drugs from the apartment.

All of the apartment units are well below market rate; the previous owners didn't keep up with the market. There's a housing shortage in the town I live in, and rent has been skyrocketing lately. I raised rent for everyone after giving them 6 months' notice, and only upped it by $50 for each unit. I'm not trying to put anyone on the street with crazy high increases in rent, I just want to keep up with inflation. The plan is to convert a few units into luxury short term rentals and let them earn me income and help offset the cheap long term units.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-03-2022 04:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Crazy series of events Krakus. Hopefully this all works out.

Nice looking bike :)

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-03-2022 09:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dirtbag tenants are the worst Transient, I feel your pain.. The best part is those assholes have been creating fake facebook accounts to send me fake inquiries about the house. I'm not even sure why at this point, they should be happy I'm not taking them to court but that can change.

I've actually formed a plan to complete the reno's. A friend of mine happens to have 75% of the material I need so I'm going to wind up learning about home reno's in short order. Should be fun.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 09-04-2022 07:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reading all this makes me wish things could be as simple as they were in the early 2000s...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-04-2022 08:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Reading all this makes me wish things could be as simple as they were in the early 2000s...

Back in the zeroes: "I wish things could be as simple as they were in the eighties".

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-04-2022 11:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: What is new in your little world....Hardly new but needed to share :D Today, 35 years married :up:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 09-05-2022 01:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

congrats!

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-05-2022 01:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, congrats to you and the missus, Whiskey :up:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-05-2022 10:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gg whiskers

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-06-2022 12:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

35 years ago... I was 4 years old then :)
Congrats Whiskey!

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 09-06-2022 02:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Re: What is new in your little world....Hardly new but needed to share :D Today, 35 years married :up:

Congrats! 35 years is quite a milestone!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-08-2022 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lots of money to be made in the event-branche post-Covid during these months in Germany. Be it lighting-, sound-, media-technician. Concerts, faires, conferences. Fuck me, companies all over are looking for capacities at the moment.
Well, most of the event-companies fired a lot of their people around March.
I've used the momentum to negotiate a 15% salary increase with the employer I've worked for for just 1 year now. Salary was normal, now it is "good normal" :) .

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-08-2022 05:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:

Congrats! 35 years is quite a milestone!

Thanks all for the wishes :)
35 years gone in a snap but still lovin' life :up:

.... but re what is new in your little world: Me, I've been offered full time employment (perm/part time) adds holidays and leave :up:
I am still considering the transition as I still feel like a 40yo :D
Life is good.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 09-09-2022 03:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fantastic updates! Keep 'em coming!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.