Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-10-2022 09:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Here's some pictures of the BMW M1000RR Lego set I built back in April

My thanks Eraser :up:

I had been looking for this and it just appeared as a 'special deal' as it retails here for $389 AUD and I've scored it just now for $234 AUD :D and free delivery.

Might be a Christmas present or
investment. Dunno!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-11-2022 04:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Investment inschmesment. Lego needs to be built, not kept in a box:p

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-11-2022 04:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any tennis players here? I never played a single round of tennis in my life but took my first try-out tennis lesson today. I'm going to sign up for their winter lessons programme, just so I got to get up and actually go do something. I go out and run twice a week but it gets a bit boring. Tennis seems fun.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-11-2022 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tennis is fun as I remember and the memory is still fine.
Remembering... I played tennis at school 50+ years ago where I was in the B Team in the ladder but never represented the school. Wish I'd kept it going. Young people, even then, I don't know :smirk:

Good idea the coaching/lessons. An active sport like this makes for a good physical workout :up:

Eraser wrote:
Investment inschmesment. Lego needs to be built, not kept in a box :p

And yes, I do agree here. I don't think (from what I see of in your build pictures) that it will last any time 'in the box' :D
Reminds me to do a stock-take of all my Lego Technic and City Train sets. I do have to stop buying but there are still two to get and that's the new Cargo Train 60336.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 09-11-2022 11:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Attempting to sort through a mountain of pk3 files to figure out what's missing, what's lost, what's a duplicate.

6250 files to go :owned:

If you feel like making my week worse, and you have a stash of obscure quake 3 levels hidden on an old HDD, please get in touch. Maybe you have something I don't have.

Torrent coming soon for fellow masochists that love box rooms and missing textures.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-12-2022 01:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably not obscure, but all of the levels me, my bro and our friend made under the Engines of Creation flag are still available here: http://www.theenginesofcreation.com/addons.php

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-12-2022 02:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Any tennis players here? I never played a single round of tennis in my life but took my first try-out tennis lesson today. I'm going to sign up for their winter lessons programme, just so I got to get up and actually go do something. I go out and run twice a week but it gets a bit boring. Tennis seems fun.

When I was young I played quite a bit. Get good shoes that support your ankles.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 09-12-2022 06:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Probably not obscure, but all of the levels me, my bro and our friend made under the Engines of Creation flag are still available here: http://www.theenginesofcreation.com/addons.php

Thank you, I had all of these (mostly via the map pack) but it's always good to trade out .pk3 files with the .zip file that they originally came in, often with an extra readme.

Turns out it's harder to find levels than you would think, past a certain point. The amount of sites that google just doesn't index is staggering, and it's less common to find the more searchable file extensions (.pk3, .bsp) uploaded outside of an un-indexed container archive.

Ironically the Elite Force community seems to have a larger stash of obscure q3 levels than the q3 community does.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-12-2022 11:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmm, now that you mention it, I spotted some in a directory the other day when I was making space. Lemme see what I've got.
None of it mine of course. I was a filthy Mac head when I started getting in to Q3, and so didn't have access to mapping tools.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-12-2022 12:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
.......... the Elite Force community seems to have a larger stash of obscure q3 levels than the q3 community does.

Now I saw mention, here I think and recently, of Elite Force. I recall visiting the site and seeing some (I thought rare/unusual) :q3: maps.
Anybody got a link please? I just have to load and run about them :up:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 09-12-2022 06:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Foo wrote:
.......... the Elite Force community seems to have a larger stash of obscure q3 levels than the q3 community does.

Now I saw mention, here I think and recently, of Elite Force. I recall visiting the site and seeing some (I thought rare/unusual) :q3: maps.
Anybody got a link please? I just have to load and run about them :up:

https://efservers.com

They have a pk3 search and a general map list that you can use to find and DL a lot of content.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-12-2022 07:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

They have a pk3 search and a general map list that you can use to find and DL a lot of content.

Cheers Foo from across the ditch :D
On my list to check out :up:

........... and re: What is new in your little world,
• watching 3 (maybe pods of) whales breaching off our balcony at lunch time right now
• booked in for new tyres for the auto - 5 years and 70K klms not too bad off the originals
• and cooking a pork roast in a halogen oven, first time :eek:

...and near forgot (old people) Hobie Cat sailing tomorrow in the beautiful local weather :p

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-12-2022 09:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
• watching 3 (maybe pods of) whales breaching off our balcony at lunch time right now

You have a big balcony! ;)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-12-2022 10:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Off not on Eraser :D

Might be a large patio/balcony (all subjective anyway) but luckily close to the Pacific Ocean.

We are only approximately lust 2 kilometres (a mile and a bit) from the area where later 4 pods, yes 4 pods of whales were up to there antics :) breaching and 'carrying on'.

Just a lovely sight and as the Mrs says, like seeing dinosaurs in the garden (but not so close).

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-12-2022 11:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Just a lovely sight and as the Mrs says, like seeing dinosaurs in the garden (but not so close).

Heh, I like that.
Would love to see dinosaurs... I mean whales like that myself some time.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-14-2022 03:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My BMW M1000RR Lego just arrived and was surprised at the sheer size of the box!

Again, thanks for the prod Eraser :up:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-16-2022 12:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

got a foodie ninja max thing. best £300 ever

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-16-2022 01:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That was word salad to me. You mean this?

Looks pretty cool. Are the testimonials accurate?

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 09-18-2022 01:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've heard good things about those too. However, I opted for the Ninja dual-zone air-fryer. :)

LOVE IT!

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-20-2022 12:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
That was word salad to me. You mean this?

Looks pretty cool. Are the testimonials accurate?

https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/ninj ... idOL750BND

same thing, another model. everything i've done in it so far has been outstanding. No more dried out meat.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-22-2022 06:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welp the house sold, got the deposit. Closing date is October 27th. I'm cautiously optimistic...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-27-2022 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OMG, a big lego model!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-27-2022 08:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

That's cool! There's a chat lobby, nice! :)

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-30-2022 02:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Best off-the-cuff quip I heard recently:
Working in the engineering department, we have to listen to radio output (to make sure it doesn't go quiet).

We were listening to Virgin radio, and I heard a song I'd heard before, but with a lyric I'd never heard before; the song briefly repeated the word "onomatopoeia".

I said out loud, "Waitaminute, are they saying onomatopeia?" and quick as a flash, my colleague behind me said "What did it sound like?"

I was speechless :D

He's since fessed up that it was entirely unintentional, but for a moment I was in awe of his wit.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-05-2022 12:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Made a retro games emulator with a Pi400/Retropi and old 80s compluter case. around 1000 games so far, mostly MAME.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-05-2022 02:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been running a Pi 3 as a Mumble / Quake / Quake 3 server for a while now. I did also buy a Pi 4, but I haven't come up with a use for it yet, so it's currently sat around gathering dust.
But as they're so cheap, I don't feel too bad about it.

Myself, I splooged a bit this past weekend and ended up replacing all my flat's lights with smart ones as well as getting a nice soundbar for my telly and a Roomba (which is ace).

I got motion sensors for the lights, and it feels like living in the future walking from room to room and having the lights turn on and off as I move through the flat :D

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-05-2022 12:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
I've been running a Pi 3 as a Mumble / Quake / Quake 3 server for a while now. I did also buy a Pi 4, but I haven't come up with a use for it yet, so it's currently sat around gathering dust.
But as they're so cheap, I don't feel too bad about it.

Myself, I splooged a bit this past weekend and ended up replacing all my flat's lights with smart ones as well as getting a nice soundbar for my telly and a Roomba (which is ace).

I got motion sensors for the lights, and it feels like living in the future walking from room to room and having the lights turn on and off as I move through the flat :D

Got a question for you Mat Linnett: These motion sensors, are they actually in the light fixture or an added extra? It sounds like something I'd do :D

I take it, the Roomba is one of the breed of floor robot cleaners and I'd be interested in your feedback.

... and we just removed our soundbar/system and needed to repaint the wall behind the telly. Done. Didn't know if I'd mentioned here re my hearing loss :smirk: See, I like to 'feel' the sound, deep base and sharp trebles, 'volume' I suppose. Anyway, the Mrs was recentlysaying 'deaf old fart' so I lay down the challenge for us both to attend the audiologist and I lost :smirk: My hearing is like 50% whereas the Mrs has near perfect hearing.

Short is, I am listing the soundbar/sub-woofer for sale shortly....

........but re what's new in your little world, off to and ABBA tribute show tonight.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-05-2022 09:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The motion sensors are an added extra. They can be a little finicky, but I think that may be because I'm using an experimental setting at the moment.

By default, they behave differently between two times of day, daytime or nighttime. The experimental setting allows you to define a third time of day, evening, and offers a bit more fine-grained control over when they trigger.

However, they sometimes just don't trigger at all with this setting, so I think I might revert to default.

A colleague at work has also put me on to something called Home Assistant, which might actually be a good use for that Pi 4 I mentioned, as it acts as a server from where you can control all smart devices in your home.

And yes, the Roomba's a robot vacuum cleaner, and works really well.
It's not as noisy as a normal vacuum cleaner either, but the whole idea is that I can have it clean while I'm at work, which it does admirably.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-04-2022 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
The motion sensors are an added extra. They can be a little finicky, but I think that may be because I'm using an experimental setting at the moment.

By default, they behave differently between two times of day, daytime or nighttime. The experimental setting allows you to define a third time of day, evening, and offers a bit more fine-grained control over when they trigger.

However, they sometimes just don't trigger at all with this setting, so I think I might revert to default.

A colleague at work has also put me on to something called Home Assistant, which might actually be a good use for that Pi 4 I mentioned, as it acts as a server from where you can control all smart devices in your home.

And yes, the Roomba's a robot vacuum cleaner, and works really well.
It's not as noisy as a normal vacuum cleaner either, but the whole idea is that I can have it clean while I'm at work, which it does admirably.

Technology :smirk: and I say that having only yesterday said in my car while motoring, "Hey Google, call home" and now I am looking at off car map/navigation applications like Waze.

... but re what is new in your little world, I am off to my yearly reunion of old workmates in my era of '79 - '89...

Edit two days later: Nice gathering of old workmates and how some have aged :( and yes, I hope to see them again next year :)

... but re what is new in your little world, first online supermarket shop picked up today and we won't be doing that again >:(
You order online and they send a text when it is ready in your choice of day/time window, you pull up a the supermarket in specially marked collection bays and they deliver to your car boot.

The bitch is, we accept they maybe substitutions where items are unavailable (they still blame Covid here for product unavailability and that maybe correct) but why supply carbonara sauce instead of a curry sauce? Surely it is better not to substitute and leave out of the shopping cart, then I can shop elsewhere. They supplied a 'tropical' juice and not the pineapple as we ordered too. A rather disappointing first and last experience.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-17-2022 04:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there no "Don't get creative" option for them? :p

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-17-2022 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Is there no "Don't get creative" option for them? :p

Apparently yes. We spoke to the order packer when we took back that 'tropical' juice supplied instead of the pineapple we were after and they said there was an option on the order page where we should have ticked 'no substitutes'. This wasn't obvious at the time and we haven't gone back to the order platform/site to see.

There is a clear difference and we received an apology

Guess 'car boot pickup' is just not for us and by the way, we prepared the fettuccine meal as suggested on the carbonara sauce product, quite simply prepared but in the end it proved disappointing.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 11-17-2022 10:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-17-2022 09:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We use a home delivery service and they actually give us a call if something is unavailable, so you can discuss any alternative options (including leaving the product out altogether)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-04-2022 11:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sainsbury (UK) give you the option of 'no substitutes' for products ordered online. well worth checking since their idea of a good substitute is wack as shit, i.e. semi-skimmed milk for skimmed, aspartame sweetener (shit) for sucralose sweetener (good). oh, and there was that time they delivered decaf coffee instead of the real deal :dork:

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 12-06-2022 02:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that's not on!
Occasionally you can luck out though, as our online shop will (sometimes) give you an alternative at no extra cost. eg. getting the 500g of "Finest" strawberries as the 125g punnet was out of stock!

Depends on which teenager is packing your shopping this week though... recently we've had "no substitution possible" for Bread and loo roll choices, which is obviously bollocks

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-06-2022 05:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just ordered myself one of these... Really been enjoying the MS flight sim and wanted some better flight controls than the regular controller. Every so often I'll pop on and continue my flight from my home town on the east coast of Canada on the way to the tip of the south american continent. I fly an Icon A5 which has a max speed of roughly 150-175km/h or roughly 85-90 knots. I take off at an airport and land further south at airports I find along the way, there's surprisingly a lot of airports...

However that isn't true since I left the Caribbean islands. I didn't realize how desolate the north eastern section of south america was. It's just endless forests/jungle for hours and hours with no roads or life to be seen. I had to fly roughly 75 knots inland to find a suitable landing spot, thought I was going to have to land in water. I wish there was a way to trace a combined flight path on MS flight sim, it's been quite the adventure, only a few bad landings... :paranoid:

Worst one was on some Caribbean, the approach was just ridiculous, can't believe they use that spot to land airplanes. Hoping the stick helps! (btw, I restart from the previous airport when I crash/don't land properly...)

If you've never played the MS flight sim on xbox check it out, pretty detailed and fun to fly over your home town!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.