Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-04-2021 09:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy sheet! Guitar heaven!

Me and what's is new in your little world?.
MSO suite refused to start :( :confused: Why, I don't know. Tried most everything, still zero :rolleyes: :smirk:
Uninstall, reinstall a real pain....

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-04-2021 11:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

... didn't mention I did a little "Time Travel" today.

An old workmate from many years ago call and asked if I was still alive :olo: Obviously as I answered the phone. Short is, we four went out and enjoyed a wonderful lunch at a local cafe for two hours plus. Great catching up. Probably the closest I will get to time travel this week at least :D

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-04-2021 11:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

And a buddy and I just got back from a 6 day, 5 night, 2940 mile round trip ride to Hot Spring Arkansas where we stayed in this really nice Airbnb and rode some twisties in the Ozark Mountains.

Good times... :cool:

Nice Gramps :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-05-2021 01:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
I'd love to drive Zandvoort; looks a beaut of a track

It's awesome, although it promises to be a snooze fest for F1.

My favorite spots are turn 4, this banked left hander where you enter the corner at the top of the bank and dive down into it and then back up again. Feels a bit like a rollercoaster.

The next section, turns 5, 6 and 7 are probably my favorite bit. You can go through these corners really fast. I wonder if F1 can flatfoot it there. On the bike, you really have to wrestle the handlebars to push it.over into an opposite lean when transitioning from turn 6 to 7. Oh I just remember, does F1 do the chicane there? Might be the case to reduce speed for turn 8, which is a blind corner right until the last moment. You go uphill and don't see the corner or apex when approaching it.

Turn 10 is a tricky one as it pinches sharper into itself as it goes. Turn very late here and then have to flick into it. Difficult to do right but pleasing when it works out. Then I like heading into turn 11, a long fast left hander. Especially the exit here is cool because you can completely pin it here.

Last but not least is turn 15, the big banked corner. Designed to be taken at full speed by F1 cars, so you can go really really fast here. IMO we never went fast enough through it :toothy: But I just admit, it's a bit of a scary corner on bike as well. The banking is pretty substantial and more importantly, if you get scared and don't go fast enough, you'll drop down to the lower edge of the corner. If you panic and break, you're fucked and you'll run off the track. Speeding up is the proper thing to do.

All in all, it's a great track with lots of elevation changes and it's very fast. Great fun!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-05-2021 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My birthday present arrived this morning :)

Some assembly needed...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-05-2021 10:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's hard to judge scale from this pic. How large is it?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-05-2021 11:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, thought scale might be a thing... Grr, phone playing up ! Rebooting...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-05-2021 11:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My phone throwing a hissy fit :smirk:

Thinking, international measuring standards here as reading increments on a ruler pictured might not work.

Ah, the trusty old can of Coke :D

But 90mm diameter and 120mm in height, near same as the earlier Lego variant.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-06-2021 12:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah, thanks :)
Is the contraption still stable if you put something on top of it? In other words, would you be able to make a salon table this way?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-06-2021 12:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some pics from my day at the track (album link)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-06-2021 06:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:
I'd love to drive Zandvoort; looks a beaut of a track

It's awesome, although it promises to be a snooze fest for F1.

My favorite spots are turn 4, this banked left hander where you enter the corner at the top of the bank and dive down into it and then back up again. Feels a bit like a rollercoaster.

The next section, turns 5, 6 and 7 are probably my favorite bit. You can go through these corners really fast. I wonder if F1 can flatfoot it there. On the bike, you really have to wrestle the handlebars to push it.over into an opposite lean when transitioning from turn 6 to 7. Oh I just remember, does F1 do the chicane there? Might be the case to reduce speed for turn 8, which is a blind corner right until the last moment. You go uphill and don't see the corner or apex when approaching it.

Turn 10 is a tricky one as it pinches sharper into itself as it goes. Turn very late here and then have to flick into it. Difficult to do right but pleasing when it works out. Then I like heading into turn 11, a long fast left hander. Especially the exit here is cool because you can completely pin it here.

Last but not least is turn 15, the big banked corner. Designed to be taken at full speed by F1 cars, so you can go really really fast here. IMO we never went fast enough through it :toothy: But I just admit, it's a bit of a scary corner on bike as well. The banking is pretty substantial and more importantly, if you get scared and don't go fast enough, you'll drop down to the lower edge of the corner. If you panic and break, you're fucked and you'll run off the track. Speeding up is the proper thing to do.

All in all, it's a great track with lots of elevation changes and it's very fast. Great fun!

It'll be better next year no doubt; the small less aero sensitive cars should be better on almost every single track.

Good breakdown though, Jerry :up:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-06-2021 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Is the contraption still stable if you put something on top of it? In other words, would you be able to make a salon table this way?

Not sure what a salon table is (is that where you keep your curling irons, Eraser?), but yes, tensegrity structures can be quite strong, and there are tables and much larger structures.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-06-2021 10:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Eraser wrote:

Not sure what a salon table is (is that where you keep your curling irons, Eraser?), but yes, tensegrity structures can be quite strong, and there are tables and much larger structures.

lol sorry, I mixed up dutch and english there. I meant to say a coffee table.

A tastefully designed tensegrity table would be kind of neat IMO.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-06-2021 10:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I believe they're kinda floppy.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-06-2021 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I believe they're kinda floppy.

No but can be. When I assembled it didn't collapse as you might expect. Later I tightened the screws just a little and it is fairy tight now. Specs say this little beauty can support 6.9 kg (15lb) I think I read on the instructions...

This one could support a car I'd recon.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-07-2021 03:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah it supports a fair bit of weight but it's still pretty floppy/wiggly. I'd be worried about having stuff like a vase on there and someone bumping into the table, it's not very stable. Also, your example is probably the most heavy duty version of this table in existence. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but they don't seem very practical.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-07-2021 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Someone buying a tensegrity table probably isn't looking for "practical". And they can be as solid as anything else with a different design and tension, but then may lose some of that "floating" look.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-22-2021 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
Shit, did I miss the great 2021 Guitar Bonanza?! ...

Shit, man. You owned us. Those are some really nice tools you got there. I especially envy you for the Les Paul, just beautiful.

My vibe died. A Fulltone Deja-Vibe 2 like this one.

I don't know what's wrong with it. The bulb (the actual one within the unit) does lighten up in some strange non-coherent way. I don't even know how bright it is supposed to flash. Yeah, can't really figure out what is wrong with the unit.

I can't play without a vibe though. It's an "always on"-thing for me.
And then I stumbled upon Sabbadius-Vibes on youtube.

I couldn't resist. I had to order one.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-01-2021 07:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Les Paul is a great axe for sure. Equally at home playing clean or with tons of gain and everything in between.

If your pedal is on the fritz it is most likely a board-level component failing intermittently. Any reputable electronics shop should be able to fix it.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-13-2021 04:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's been years since we last visited our place in the country so we are heading off there tomorrow for 4 to 5 days. Mobile reception was difficult last time so I wonder if the service has improved. Looking forward to log fires & especially the stars :D
Where you ask; just inland from Byron Bay, close to the township of Nimbin.

Bye Image

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-13-2021 05:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, I just looked up Nimbin. It’s a major hippie town. The “weed capital of Australia”. Whiskey must be an old doper from way back…

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-14-2021 04:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh so he’d be fun to hang out with? Unlike you.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-14-2021 06:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
...our place in the country...

As in your families lot?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-14-2021 07:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Oh so he’d be fun to hang out with? Unlike you.

Hey dumbass, you know shit about me. And if you did, you’d know I think Nimbin looks like a blast and I’d fit right in.

Don’t you have a Mensa meeting you’re late for?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-16-2021 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
As in your families lot?

No, but it wouldn't be bad a bad place to own. Even in Covid times, the guestbook entries show very reasonable occupancy and at $285 (AUD) per night, not a bad income. A self contained or is that self catering cottage about a kilometre/1/2 mile from the property owner and dead quiet in the bush with only bird song to disturb....... Some 40 acres up in the hills where mobile reception is dicky sometimes, miles from anywhere and a hairy drive on near single lane, winding up and down hills. Something you wouldn't want to try in the dark. Otherwise all enjoyable with clear Autumn/Winter sky overhead and wonderful stars & satellites to see. Back in a couple of days :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-17-2021 03:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see.
Yep, 285 ozzy-dollars per night for a cottage is some price.

I'd like to see the stars from that place though :) .

What are the temperatures down-under there now?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-17-2021 04:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did a test ride on this bike yesterday

It totally blew me away. It's on my wishlist for 2022.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-17-2021 05:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah no fucking kidding, those bikes look amazing.

Edit: That chain length adjustment looks weird af tho. Adjusing the chain tension would result in the tire moving the bike upwards..

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-17-2021 06:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why? What's weird about it? Looks just like any other chain tension adjuster I've seen :shrug:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-17-2021 06:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's set diagonal so adjusting it going to shift the height of the bike. They're generally horizontal.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-17-2021 06:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's like this for most (sports) bikes I've seen. You ride a Kawasaki z900 right? It's no different there. Also, the bike will sag a bit with a rider on top, so the angle will be smaller. And I don't think it matters a whole lot, because the rear wheel moves tiny amounts back and forth when adjusting chain tension.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-17-2021 07:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah actually I just took a close look at it and you're right. Never noticed that!

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-17-2021 10:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That’s because your first reaction is to try and prove you’re an expert on everything…

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-17-2021 10:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or you know, I do a lot of work on my own bikes and have a bike lift so when it's up in the air is generally when I adjust those things and just assumed they were horizontal cause when the tire isn't touching the ground it's of course going to be diagonal?

Or you know, I'm just a terrible person and need you to remind me what an absolute failure I must be on every interaction we have.

Or you're just an asshole. I'm guessing it's that one.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-17-2021 10:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah it’s one of those for sure…

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.