Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-09-2018 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No pictures this way :(

Re: What is new in your little world?
The painter finished yesterday just after lunc and we spent a couple of hours putting the place back together. Finally finished the (minor) renovation works :up: I am now off for a 4 of 5 night mini holiday up the coast :D

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-09-2018 12:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My washer died last Saturday (got 15 years out of it), which forced us to buy new units (god forbid they don't match).

Not really what I had in mind when thinking about spending that money.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-09-2018 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's the bottom drawer on the left hand unit? It is washer on the left and dryer on the right isn't it?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-09-2018 03:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Washer left, dryer right. The bottom drawer on the left is a light material washing machine separate from the main unit. We didn't get that. We just got the pedestals with the storage drawers.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-10-2018 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Today I am off for that little holiday about 4 hours up the coast for 5 days visiting family. It will be nice to get away and I love the drive :D
Note to self: Must set up the Lego trains again.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-10-2018 12:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice hardware Gramps. It always sucks when something as mundane as a washer or dryer or oven or fridge dies. You always feel you'd have better ways to spend the money.

My bank allows us to define multiple sub-accounts under your main saving account. Not sure how common this is, they started this relatively recent. We just monthly dump a small amount of money in a sub-accounts specifically meant for replacing the stuff we take for granted. It softens the blow a little when I actually have to spend it.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-10-2018 02:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get idea that sub accounts thing :up:
We are thinking of doing the same for the lesser part of our health insurance costs as it just might work for us on the 'extras' portion that offersdental, physio, optometry and the like. They only refund like 10 to 20% of the service cost at best.

Insurance is a necessary evil as far as I am concerned and we've been lucky to date. Paying premiums no end :down: so better it go in the bank.. $117 a month will add up quickly like a Christmas Club account.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-10-2018 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Nice hardware Gramps. It always sucks when something as mundane as a washer or dryer or oven or fridge dies. You always feel you'd have better ways to spend the money.

My bank allows us to define multiple sub-accounts under your main saving account. Not sure how common this is, they started this relatively recent. We just monthly dump a small amount of money in a sub-accounts specifically meant for replacing the stuff we take for granted. It softens the blow a little when I actually have to spend it.

The wife and I have separate accounts and split the bills based on our income which leaves us with plenty of money for things like this. Instead of a second account I simply run an significant overage at all times. But smart play on the second account. I can see how that would help you keep your family out of financial binds.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-11-2018 11:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm due a huge commision payout in May which will all be going to buying a new house. Deep joy.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-11-2018 11:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You move a lot.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-11-2018 12:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well we did just move from the south and rented. Now we're buying.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-12-2018 03:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats! I'm assuming somewhere in Scotland? I've been watching a lot of The Grand Tour recently and their scotland episodes make me want to go check out.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-12-2018 12:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no mate, Shropshire on the welsh border.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-12-2018 03:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The best border

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-12-2018 04:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New beer on tap at the house. Dragon's Milk. It's a light tasting 11% Stout. Really good stuff that'll mess you up if you're not careful.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-15-2018 05:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still can't handle stuff like that...stout etc. I just don't think it's for me.

Glad you're enjoying it; 2 pints of that and I would be a mess :olo:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-15-2018 10:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Side loading washing machines are stoopid...

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-15-2018 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
I still can't handle stuff like that...stout etc. I just don't think it's for me.

Glad you're enjoying it; 2 pints of that and I would be a mess :olo:

Definitely. 2 pints on an empty stomach would have me a bit tipsy and ready for a nap.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-15-2018 10:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
Side loading washing machines are stoopid...

I believe they're called front loading. Sorry you don't like them.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-15-2018 11:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I regret getting mine. Our laundry is on the second floor and it shakes the entire fucking house when it spins and the load is a little off balanced. Also the door seals on them are notoriously hard to keep clean. They're efficient and use much less water though :up:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-15-2018 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

These are incredibly quiet, even when they spin. The wife wipes down the washer's seal after each session to prevent build-up.

We like them so far.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-15-2018 11:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Front loaders are most common here. You don't see a lot of top loaders anymore. Another advantage of front loaders is that you can stack the drier on top of the washing machine if you're short on space like we used to in our first 55 m² apartment :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-15-2018 11:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My Sunday afternoon. My dad's, mine and my bro's bikes. We went out for a nice ride.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-16-2018 03:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice man. I've been itching to get out but it won't stop raining and being cold.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-17-2018 08:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ppl in tiny poor countries like they have in europe have a need for side loaders...in a real country with wide open spaces like america...side loaders are a gimmick...unless ur a moron...a moron who likes to wait forever for a load to finish and bend over alot to hold clothes back so they won't fall out on the floor...

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 04-17-2018 08:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mr mom has done a lot of laundry

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-17-2018 11:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

>:(

Just had a win against KIA :up:

When I bought my KIA Sportage I was told I'd have free map updates on the GPS unit for three years and the first time they would check would be at the 12 month service. Well, that service came and went months ago (due to miles traveled) and I was told then there were no map updates available. Someone was stretching the truth then or doesn't read the manufacturer bulletins !

My KIA just turned 12 months old so I called the service department to book in for my free map upgrade as I heard somewhere new ones were available only to be told they're not free anymore >:( >:( Well I saw red. I immediately sent an email off to KIA who said the same thing. I then called the salesman who sold me the car, we'll call him Brett. Brett said agreed that I should have free map updates and said he'd call his Manager.... Another email to KIA from me ending in ".... I'll take this matter further ..... Government Office of Fair Trading...".

I just got the call from KIA saying my maps will be free but KIA changed their free maps program ended 1st of Jan 2016.

KIA didn't tell the dealer or the dealer is saying anything to sell car. What's your pick?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-17-2018 11:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did another ride yesterday, through the Dutch "Bollenstreek". Lots of flower farms here, quite a sight to behold when it's all in bloom
(disclaimer: didn't take this photo myself)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-17-2018 11:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
What's your pick?

Hey if you were sold something, hold their feet to the fire to make sure you get it. There does come a point where you have to trade your time against whatever benefit you're seeking, though.

I had to drag a car dealer through the tribunal a few years back to force them to accept the return of a lemon.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-17-2018 11:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Agreed. If they sold you 3 years of free updates, then you're entitled to that product. Also look at it this way: Kia isn't going to lose any money over giving you the free updates (even when assuming you were going to pay for them, the profit is negligable for them). So for them, the only reasonable course of action would be to give you the updates, not in the least because that ends up getting them a satisfied customer.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-18-2018 03:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah definitely hold them to it. I recently bought a Jeep, when I was shopping this one caught my eye but when I approached a salesman to view it I realized the back seats were missing. It's a 2 door so the previous owner must have sold them so I told the salesman I wasn't interested as I want back seats. So they tell me they're going to get me back seats if I want to buy it. I agree once they've confirmed they have matching black seats for it. I buy the Jeep on a Monday back in early February and was told the seats would be in by Friday. 4 weeks later, they call me up and tell me they can't find a matching set of Jeep Sahara seats but have a seat for a Jeep Sport, still black. I tell them that's fine and they ship them over. When I get the seats I try installing them and quickly realize they sent me seats for some other model Jeep that doesnt' fit mine. So I get on the horn again and they tell me they'll find some other seats. They call me up 2 weeks after that, 5 weeks longer than it should have been, and tell me the only seats in the country they can find is gray seats. At this point, I tell them look, I don't want gray seats for a jeep, the top comes off, it'll look stupid. However, I'm not unreasonable so I tell them I'm willing to take gray seats if they're willing to put these specific tires on the jeep, they were already buying tires for it anyway but these would be a few hundred more than the ones they'd have found probably. at 1200$ Cdn it's pretty reasonable for 18" tires on a Jeep. They say no, you'll take these tires for 750$, both those prices are installed btw. 750$ is what you'd pay for tires on a cheap sedan, on a Jeep prices that low are unheard of. So I tell the dealership no, I'll take matching seats like we agreed to if you're going to put the cheapest tires on earth on my vehicle. Well they didn't like that and told me I'd take the gray seats and that'll be that.

So now I've filed a small claims court against them and I'm waiting for their response. I'm suing them for a little over 8k. Apparently, rear seats on a Jeep Wrangler cost 7,312$ from the Jeep dealership. Who knew?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-18-2018 04:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Did another ride yesterday, through the Dutch "Bollenstreek". Lots of flower farms here, quite a sight to behold when it's all in bloom
(disclaimer: didn't take this photo myself)

That is an awesome pic. Even though you didn't take it, if this is what you saw... Wow. I don't think I could have passed it without taking a picture of my own.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-18-2018 04:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
>:(

Just had a win against KIA :up:

Doesn't most navigation connect to your phone these days?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-18-2018 05:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is pretty much what you see there. Large fields filled end to end with flowers of all different colors. The flowery smell is incredibly strong as well. I don't really bother taking pictures anymore because I've seen it like a dozen times. It's no more than 40 mins from where I live.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-18-2018 05:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The trees in the left hand back corner of that picture bother me. They shouldn't be all lined up like that.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.