Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-03-2018 10:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I too rode to the sea today!

How far do you typically ride on an average trip?

That roadway doesn't look ideal for a street bike. Is that a short trail off the main road?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-03-2018 12:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Depends on how much time I have and what type of roads I'm on. Today I only had like 2.5 hours or so and I did roughly 180km but that includes a sizeable portion of highway.
Sometimes I just ride around on the smaller roads around here so I don't cover all that much distance.

The ride two weeks ago with the flower fields, that was about 200km as well but we didn't hit a single road where we were allowed to go faster than 80kmh (but mostly 60kmh roads). So including a stop for some ice cream and drinks, that took us all afternoon. So I'm not so sure if distance covered is that interesting a metric :shrug:

In the pics, my bike is parked in what is essentially a runoff area of the road there. It's decent asphalt though, a bit dirty maybe with lots of small pebbles lying around.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-03-2018 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm just curious about how comfortable sports bikes are after long rides, 150 miles / 243 km one way?

Lots of rock and pebbles can be hazardous to a street bike.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-03-2018 05:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just booked this year's father son trip. The trip will be a 6 day, 5 night stay at the Bellevue Hotel by Hyatt in Central Philadelphia with 3 days spent exploring museums and historical sites in the surrounding Pennsylvania area, a 1 day Amtrak trip to NYC and a day trip to Atlantic City. Should be really fun. I'm looking forward to getting back to NYC.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-03-2018 09:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
I'm just curious about how comfortable sports bikes are after long rides, 150 miles / 243 km one way?

Well, there's sports bikes and them there's sports bikes. I wouldn't want to do 300 mi on a Yamaha R1 or Ducati Panigale 1299. Those are pure racing machines with a very aggressive, forward leaned seating positions.
My bike is better classed as a sports touring bike. It has a sporty seating position due to the clip on handlebars, but it's nowhere nearly as leaned forward as those supersport bikes. So it's quite comfortable, even on really long rides. No pain in the wrists, arms or back after long rides. The seat itself is plushy too so my butt is enjoying it too. Also, while it does have an inline 4 engine, which generally like to be in the high rev ranges, my bikes engine is tuned to deliver good power in the low/mid rev ranges. Its gearing is relatively long, so you can ride without having to go nuts on the gear lever.
Having said that, an old friend of mine rode his brand new R1 from The Hague to Barcelona in a single session, so if you really want to, there really is nothing stopping you.

Also, again I'd say there's a difference between a 3hr highway ride or a 7 hour backroad ride

YourGrandpa wrote:
Lots of rock and pebbles can be hazardous to a street bike.

True. Let me add that there wasnt any on the road, just a bit of gravel on that run off area. Just have to make sure not to immediately pin it when riding away.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-04-2018 03:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, same with my CBR500R. It's very comfortable. I wouldn't even call an R1 a sports bike, when you get those kinds of numbers and that forward leaning sitting position I tend to call those super bikes and then bikes like the H2R hyper bikes.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-10-2018 07:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So in a few weeks time, this will be my new ride.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-10-2018 10:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great choice. Can't say anything other than it being an awesome bike.
Have you seen what they did with it for the Z900RS? It's pretty cool.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-10-2018 10:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I looked at it, not my thing. I like the retro look and all but it's one of those things I prefer to look at, I don't want to own it. I'm going to have a hard time sleeping until I get my mits on that bike though, absolute beast of a bike and it's like halfway to an H2 lol.

Long and Strong
Long and Strong
PostPosted: 05-11-2018 10:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just spent a good bit of time reading and catching up on you guys.

In my world...

Been splitting my time working between US and Belgium 2 weeks per month, I've been there 51 days since January. I'm moving the family to Belgium in July for just over a year so this should be interesting. My working papers should be in soon, I found an awesome place just outside of Leuven and just need my damn papers so I can sign for it.

My car hobby is earning a nice income thanks to social media, I'm able to pay for trips to shows around the country and mods just from the earnings it makes. Earnings from Affiliate revenue, advertisement revenue and sponsorships. Something I never expected to happen, but it took off pretty quickly. I recently did a 3 day apparel Charity campaign with my brand logo, where all profits went to st Judes. Surprisingly sold quite a few units which was unexpected and now people are posting photos and tagging me with my shirts on. It's been a pretty cool ride, but sadly with the Year in Belgium and the lack cool cars this will take a back seat :/

Just as I start finishing my 6 month long kitchen renovation nightmare yesterday

The bathroom above develops a leak and takes out the new ceiling lol So I had to disassemble the cabinets, rip open the ceiling and fix it this morning .

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-11-2018 02:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Giraffe }{unter wrote:
Just spent a good bit of time reading and catching up on you guys. .................

Hey nice to hear from you Giraffe }{unter :) and nice to hear/feel positive vibes. US to Belgium, interesting. The car news is awesome and I must say I like the kitchen renovation and those overhead lights, awesome... You did the renovation yourself?

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 05-11-2018 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Amazing Giraffe }{unter, I was just thinking about you today, thinking I hadn't seen you around for a while and here you are,(LOL), good to know your doing so well, sorry to hear about the bathroom leaks, they can be a bitch. Welcome back :)

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-11-2018 08:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I saw your YT chan blowing up a while back, congrats :up:
Nice kitchen, I spy an Ubiquiti Amplifi.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-12-2018 12:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Took a little ride up the coast...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-12-2018 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last month we moved to a lovely 2-bedroom condo. Amazing views, right next to the lake and High Park, and awesome amenities. I'm also enjoying the daily 30km bike commute :D

My cacti and aloe vera love the massive amount of sunlight this place gets. Plus I made a little reading nook in my office:

Cat approves

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-12-2018 10:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice! :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-12-2018 10:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Took a little ride up the coast...

Nice straight lines bro

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-12-2018 10:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa & Captain Mazda, nice pictures :up:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-13-2018 12:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice Mazda. won't be long before kids fuck all that up for you :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-14-2018 03:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Nice straight lines bro

Well he DOES ride a harley...

Speaking of Harley, I went to several bike shops recently whilst shopping for a new ride and one of them was the honda/harley dealership here in town. It's really surprising how bad the service was there. They had like 20 - 30 different Harley's all on display and not a single honda sports bike. The only bike they even had was a 4 year old VFR tucked away in the back room collecting dust. When I asked about ordering one the sales guy basically tried to make me feel like I shouldn't be buying a sports bike which is why they don't have them in stock. Terrible service. Especially since I bought my last last bike from them! They were just as idiotic last year when I was buying a dirt bike so I guess I won't be buying from them again.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-14-2018 04:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, it's Harley that straightens the roads South Florida.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-14-2018 01:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Eraser wrote:
Nice straight lines bro

Well he DOES ride a harley...

Speaking of Harley, I went to several bike shops recently whilst shopping for a new ride and one of them was the honda/harley dealership here in town. It's really surprising how bad the service was there. They had like 20 - 30 different Harley's all on display and not a single honda sports bike. The only bike they even had was a 4 year old VFR tucked away in the back room collecting dust. When I asked about ordering one the sales guy basically tried to make me feel like I shouldn't be buying a sports bike which is why they don't have them in stock. Terrible service. Especially since I bought my last last bike from them! They were just as idiotic last year when I was buying a dirt bike so I guess I won't be buying from them again.

Two words: profit margins

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-14-2018 03:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's why you always buy used if you can. I got my 2015 in early 2017 with 1,100 miles and $3,000.00 in extras and paid $8,000.00 less than what the bike retailed for new.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-15-2018 03:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I get that, I like new and shiny things. I'm selling my CBR500R for 4250$ which I paid just under 7k for.

What I'd really like though is to figure out why my XL100 is revving so badly... I may have to throw in the towel on that one and have a mechanic look at it. I've reached my mechanical limits on troubleshooting it at this point.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-18-2018 08:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CBR is sold, now... only 3 more hours before I'm riding 948cc's of wheelie goodness...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-18-2018 09:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good for you man! Did you get a good price for the CBR?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-18-2018 09:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I got 4k for it. It had 32k on the odo and scratches on one side from being tipped over so not too shabby. It still ran great tho. I'm sure I'll miss her.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-18-2018 10:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Last month we moved to a lovely 2-bedroom condo. Amazing views, right next to the lake and High Park, and awesome amenities. I'm also enjoying the daily 30km bike commute :D

[img]condo%20pics[/img]

Nice :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-18-2018 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Yeah I get that, I like new and shiny things. I'm selling my CBR500R for 4250$ which I paid just under 7k for.

What I'd really like though is to figure out why my XL100 is revving so badly... I may have to throw in the towel on that one and have a mechanic look at it. I've reached my mechanical limits on troubleshooting it at this point.

XL100, I haven't heard of that model in years and if it is a Honda it is years old... Have you mentioned it before in Q3W?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-19-2018 10:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yup I've been tinkering with it trying to fix the high idle issue.

Nice rear shot of the new bike.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-19-2018 10:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-19-2018 11:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very nice! Quite a different ride from the 500 eh?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-19-2018 01:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah. It feels a bit more nimble round corners, the handling characteristics feel much more pronounced than I expected despite a very similar sitting position. The clutch feels weird, the engine revs up and down so fast that it goes down to idle in the half a second it takes to shift gears which makes for awkward shifts. I'll get used to that though over time once I've wrung the cbr500r habits out of my system. I haven't dared go past 6k rpm, I'd say it's mainly because I'm breaking it in but it's actually that and I'm too scared to try. The acceleration is just blistering. At 4000 rpm it blows my old bike away in terms of torque which reminds me that even though it's just under double the cc's of my old bike it's got almost 3x the horsepower. Overall I absolutely love it though. It's getting a lot of "What is that?" comments which is cool. I think I might be the only one in New Brunswick with one. Most people around here ride Harleys.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 06-03-2018 10:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
cacti and aloe vera love the massive amount of sunlight this place gets.

Ey I got told no direct sunlight for my aloe vera, just like the peace lily. Am I fucking up right here?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-04-2018 03:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think they get acclimatised. Putting my Aloe on a windowsill after it had been on top of a bookshelf damn near killed it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.