Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What is new in your little world?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: What is new in your little world?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-01-2014 07:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dark Metal wrote:
Underpants? wrote:
Dark Metal: are you going to hit the French side and look at boobies?

I'm staying at the Raddison Blu on the French side. Also taking a day trip to St. Barth's.

if you haven't been, unless you're terminally unhappy, you'll be very very not unhappy... unbelievably clear water, extremely shaved, tan pussies, you-name-the-price kind of side trip attitudes, great food, explore the shit out of that... I'll have to hit up the chat room to hear about it. Rare is a place with very few downsides... well, watch out for scam artists, the bait-and-switch (a one day jeep rental turns into a samurai turns into a busted, governed quad) is pretty prevalent but otherwise, fucking awesome, especially if you're one of those French-literate Canadian bros.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-11-2014 05:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am just back from the Ennio Morricone live concert in Berlin last night. Just wow! The "Maestro" performed quite some of his "top hits" like "Good, bad & ugly", "Once upon a time in the west", "Once upon a time in America", "The Mission", "Chi Mai", "Sicilian Clan (sp?)" etc. Great performance with about 150 musicians/choristers/singers on stage, great sound. Worth every penny.
He'll do a few more concerts over Europe this year and two in the USA (iirc) --> absolutely recommended, if one is into film music!
:up: :up: :up:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 02-11-2014 05:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

chopov wrote:
I am just back from the Ennio Morricone live concert in Berlin last night. Just wow! The "Maestro" performed quite some of his "top hits" like "Good, bad & ugly", "Once upon a time in the west", "Once upon a time in America", "The Mission", "Chi Mai", "Sicilian Clan (sp?)" etc. Great performance with about 150 musicians/choristers/singers on stage, great sound. Worth every penny.
He'll do a few more concerts over Europe this year and two in the USA (iirc) --> absolutely recommended, if one is into film music!

wow congratulations that fantastic!

what a privilege to see the Maestro! I am also a hhhhuuuggee hhhuuuugeeee fan !

I hope to one day see what you saw

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-12-2014 01:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
[...]

Don't wait too long. Morricone seemed to be very fit but nevertheless he's over 80 already and who knows how long he will be fit enough to go on tour...

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 02-12-2014 10:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dark Metal wrote:
Just got my finalized itinerary for my trip to St. Martin next week.

I'll check my email for my copy of that later.

Winter is slamming the Northeast with outrageous negative temperatures. And snow. I dont hate snow but enough already.
Went to Philly a few months ago, had an awesome time. Planning on going again this weekend.
Headed back to school before I'm completely useless like Geoff.
Paid off all my debts, car, looking at houses :up:

Oh and of course coming here for my vicious annual dose of harassment.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-13-2014 10:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

chopov wrote:

Sounds an amazing concert chopov :cool:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 02-14-2014 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

chopov wrote:
plained wrote:
[...]

Don't wait too long. Morricone seemed to be very fit but nevertheless he's over 80 already and who knows how long he will be fit enough to go on tour...

hopefully his passion will keep him going for at least another decade!

i been checking out this recently

this is the guitar that made the tones back in the day, Pino Rucher played a bunch of it, this guy plays with Ennio now, here he is playing Pino's actual guitar that made those sounds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JkMe9F_teA

i also found this to be awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtckeaMrXOs

soooo awesome

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 02-14-2014 12:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

totally sweet
I am well jealous of the ennio morricone concert...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-14-2014 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vesp wrote:

totally sweet
I am well jealous of the ennio morricone concert...

I will be putting it on my bucket list :D

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-16-2014 08:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just spent the morning sprucing up the place after my Sister & Brother in Law spent the weekend here.

Her words..
Quote:
.....had wonderful time, you guys must feel like you’re on holidays 24/7.

Yes, life here at the moment is like one big holiday :p sprinkled with the occasional cleaning day.
Lovely sunny days, usually clear sky for the most and top temperature around 30 degrees (Centigrade), all cooled off by a sometimes strong onshore sea breeze.

I was about to pull apart my Christmas Lego Technic collection, but just then got a 'phone call (I was vacuuming the car) from some old friends who are passing by tomorrow and dropping in for a cuppa or glass :) I'll show it all off then.

They hang around long enough it will be off to lunch at a lovely cafe we found a few weeks before Christmas. We actually shared breakfast there Sunday morning and their poached eggs were very nice.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-06-2014 12:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got my new custom made pro spec gear after a two month wait. Tailored specifically to my style with custom embroidery too. Using them for the first time tonight in a playoff game, not the best way to break it in.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 04-06-2014 01:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

custom embroidery? no q3w logos?

goalies :olo:

terminator 5 right

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-06-2014 04:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am sitting in my local library typing this on my Samsung tablet. Just practice and free WiFi :)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-06-2014 05:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Got my new custom made pro spec gear after a two month wait. Tailored specifically to my style with custom embroidery too. Using them for the first time tonight in a playoff game, not the best way to break it in.

Looks awesome! How much does custom gear like that cost? Looks like they embroidered with the whole process in mind.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-06-2014 05:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got new shoes (same as my old pair). La Sportiva Testarossa's are notorious among rock climbers as being an awesomely aggressive shoe with die-hard fans, which leads me to question why La Sportiva is discontinuing them. I had to get a special order on my pair since they are impossible to find now, people at the gym keep asking me how I managed to snag a shiny new pair when they are completely off the market.

Also got a new harness, the new 2014 Petzl Corax shipped in. My old one I don't trust with the amount of falling force generated by lead climbing. Good thing too, first day with the new harness and I took a 14-foot fall off of the last move.

Also took part in a friendly dyno comp last week Thursday. "Dyno" in rock climbing is short for "dynamic move" which essentially means leaping from one set of holds onto another set of holds. Most of the dyno problems were on overhangs and required vertical and lateral jumps. A few required multiple dynos for completion. It was a "friendly" in that there were no judges, you get a score sheet like in mini-golf and you record the number of attempts at each problem, I think there were about 20 in total. I scored pretty well with mostly first and second attempts.

Made it 2/3 up a 5.12- route yesterday. I actually finished the crux (hardest part of the climb) but got a little stuck on the sequencing and was too tired out to finish. To give you an idea of what the rating system means, about half of all climbers don't make it past 5.10 climbs, maybe 5% of climbers make it past 5.12. The world's hardest climb is currently a 5.15c which has been completed by only 2 people.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-06-2014 07:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:

Looks awesome! How much does custom gear like that cost? Looks like they embroidered with the whole process in mind.

Pro spec pads usually retail $1700, gloves are another $900. I used to work at a local hockey store for a couple years so I managed to order directly from Reebok-CCM. $1660 for the whole set, taxes included.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 04-07-2014 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
OK, here is your chance.

We have all built swimming pools or taken to lifting weights, and even I have booked a New Zealand holiday but this topic is to tell us (if you care) what is happening in your neck of the woods today.

Today, well my brother is visiting and that is a milestone event as he rarely visits; so I spent the morning sprucing up the place. You know by now of course, I am near anal when it come to cleanliness and presentation :)

.... and, just to add, I have spent the last days, culminating this morning on getting my PC in order: By that I mean, backing up all data to an external HDD after finally & thankfully resolving my BSOD issues :D

We moved to a new house a few months ago and now we own a few acres of land. Suddenly I'm a part-time gardener by force, and I'm loving it :owned:

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 04-07-2014 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Climbing!

Nice one Obsidian.
Back in the day I got to 5.11a/b depending on the route... not been on any rocks since having kids really so I'd be nowhere near that now!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-07-2014 04:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:

We moved to a new house a few months ago and now we own a few acres of land. Suddenly I'm a part-time gardener by force, and I'm loving it :owned:

They say gardening is good for the soul saturn :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-07-2014 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:

Amen to that... I started 3 years ago. Every year it just keeps getting bigger and better. :up:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-07-2014 07:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vesp wrote:
Nice one Obsidian.
Back in the day I got to 5.11a/b depending on the route... not been on any rocks since having kids really so I'd be nowhere near that now!

Take your kids climbing... duh. You all get to enjoy the sport together and after a day of climbing they'll be too tired to bug you about random shit. My gym hosts a youth team, some of these kids are amazing... 8-year-olds leading 5.10. There's a 10-year-old girl who was invited to the ABS youth nationals last February. She climbs at my level despite being half my height.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-07-2014 11:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
I've been looking for a new job since last week... the recently announced budget cuts mean i very likely won't be able to stay where i work now. Shame, i really like it here, but what are you going to do eh.

I've since been declared unmissable and have been given a permanent contract and a raise, fuck yeah! :cool:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-07-2014 11:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

\o/

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 04-08-2014 03:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
vesp wrote:
Nice one Obsidian.

Take your kids climbing... duh. You all get to enjoy the sport together and after a day of climbing they'll be too tired to bug you about random shit. My gym hosts a youth team, some of these kids are amazing... 8-year-olds leading 5.10. There's a 10-year-old girl who was invited to the ABS youth nationals last February. She climbs at my level despite being half my height.

Yep, but the oldest is only 3 at the moment ;)
I had made a mini-comeback climbing at the local (EICA in Scotland), but climbing partner broke a toe and haven't been back yet.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-08-2014 07:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whoa WTF... I googled the gym, that place is HUGE! Building it in an abandoned quarry seems fitting.

Any natural limestone routes?

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 04-08-2014 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No - I think the original plan was to have that far wall as natural stone routes (bolted) but the water content and stability of the rock was an issue, so now it's just a funky feature!
It is massive, the walls in that pic on the lower left are 25m. Going up a grade you're used to will still leave you knackered.
It's also way too huge to heat, so it's proper freezing in winter. Freezing cold holds are a pain in the arse :P

I've never been into speed climbing (flat section, middle left wall) but saw someone go up it once.
speed climbing:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-08-2014 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
I've since been declared unmissable and have been given a permanent contract and a raise, fuck yeah! :cool:

Party at Ryo's

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-08-2014 09:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Little update, I managed to finish an even harder 5.12- tonight. I wanted to quit halfway though but my belay partner refused to lower me and forced me to finish the route. She's a sadistic bitch. :)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-10-2014 10:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just got my car insurance advice and perhaps like you, I go shopping for the deal of the moment.

I shopped around, painful as it is and competitors are little better, like $50 in a $600 premium quote....I considered the cheaper, but for $50 why bother :smirk: :smirk:

Looks like I wasted 40 minutes of my life entertaining a call centre consultant, but yes, in defense, she's just doing her job

What say you?

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 04-10-2014 11:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I started working on a programming language. Just for fun though.

It's going to be homoiconic, natively functional reactive and gives a (hopefully) very useful twist on object orientation.
Furthermore, it will allow for code-annotations enabling different interpretations of the same programm structure. For example defining a neural net is not to different from composing signal functions in functional reactive programming; the underlying "circiut diagrams" are of the the same type - even if feedback loops are included.

Currently working on the parser while finalizing the syntax for function calls.

The next plan is to build a shitty runtime in another language. Propper runtime in an established VM afterwards.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 04-11-2014 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
They say gardening is good for the soul saturn :)

:up: The days are short when you're in your garden

mrd wrote:
Amen to that... I started 3 years ago. Every year it just keeps getting bigger and better. :up:

I'm looking forward to it! :up:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-11-2014 04:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got a goalie rental gig for a tournament in a town a couple hours away tomorrow and they're covering my gas in addition to paying me for each game. Owned.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 04-11-2014 06:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

things are going quite well thank you very much

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-12-2014 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Ryoki wrote:
I've been looking for a new job since last week... the recently announced budget cuts mean i very likely won't be able to stay where i work now. Shame, i really like it here, but what are you going to do eh.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-12-2014 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:

I am with you on this Ryoki as it did feel so good to me too when it happened about 4 years ago.

I still remember at the interview, I told them they'd be mad to appoint any of my competitors to the position :) and I guess, being the confident player I am, that's what won me the role. I was made permanent from a contractor and handed a nice pay rise to boot. Sweet!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.