Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Half-Life: Alyx

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Half-Life: Alyx

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-18-2019 05:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/18/209 ... ip-vr-game

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-18-2019 10:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sigh

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-18-2019 11:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get ready for a major disappointment

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-19-2019 12:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yay! It'll likely be the best VR experience you can have at time of release.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-19-2019 12:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or it's one of the same vein as the Portal VR "experience", ie a sandbox plaything with some franchise branding.

either way it's not Ep3 so.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-19-2019 01:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Or it's one of the same vein as the Portal VR "experience", ie a sandbox plaything with some franchise branding.

either way it's not Ep3 so.

100% - it'll be explore and play with Dog; not an actual follow on from HL as it were.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-19-2019 05:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My only problem with VR is the nausea... I played some recently on PS4, I forget the name of the game, you were a tiny mouse and it was a 3D platformer and I was blown away. I also played the star wars one where you're in an xwing and it was amazing despite how short it was. However, after about 30 minutes of playing the mouse game I had some fairly serious nausea and had to stop.

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 11-19-2019 10:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good VR games are few and far between it seems. I mean there are alot like Beat Saber where the genre is really just Applied Tech Demo (e.g. the game is just an excuse to use the mechanics of VR) .

But in terms of actual long-form games, I think the only one I've seen that didn't feel like a demo of a game was Orbus, but that turned to ass when it left early access (this is not a recommendation, it was fun in beta, but they basically replaced the entire game when it left early access and the new game they replaced it with sucks).

There are a couple of other VR MMOs on the horizon that look interesting, it's certainly possible to do, it's just hard and very niche right now, so it's more economical to shit out a 2-level tech demo than make a full game.

Hopefully since Valve actually has a stake in PC VR, this will be more an actual full game than an applied tech demo. I'm definitely looking forward to it, and hoping that it works fine on the original Vive and isn't "made for Index" or something tarded. I'm not planning on getting another headset anytime soon.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-19-2019 02:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

>don't make HL3 for 10 years
>develop VR headset
>announce HL game that isn't HL3 to play on VR headset

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-19-2019 02:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone still holding their breath for HL3 is only fooling themselves at this point. VR needs a big-name studio to develop a big budget game if the medium is ever going to catch on and become mainstream. If Alyx becomes that, then props to Valve. But I'm not expecting much more than what emka is. :shrug:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 11-20-2019 04:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Get ready for a major disappointment

Get ready for a big alt-right/gamergate/nackbeard pushback because of a female lead.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-20-2019 03:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok boomer

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com