Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        So I've (almost) got my bachelor's degree

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: So I've (almost) got my bachelor's degree

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 05:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got confirmation of my last mark for my last exam from college, which was the very last thing I had to do to finish up my study. The 22nd of February there's a "ceremony" at college where I can get my papers. Then I can finally say fuck off to school and start working full-time (instead of 32 hours a week)

Banned
Banned
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 05:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LOL, we have 9 on my course, ahh the wonders of Baking Science.

Banned
Banned
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats btw.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 06:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GG Eraser. Another year or two and I'll be out for good, too. Well, at least until I decide to get my Master's.

Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 06:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was supposed to get my Masters back in 2000, but I never finished my final thesis. Maybe I'll get around to doing that some day.

Eraser, is that in computer science?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 06:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grudge wrote:
I was supposed to get my Masters back in 2000, but I never finished my final thesis. Maybe I'll get around to doing that some day.

I don't even know how the hell that works. So you don't have to enroll yourself in a set timeframe for a Masters? You can come and go (at least with the thesis) at will? :confused:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 06:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grudge wrote:

Yep. Field of software engineering mostly. Not that I've learned anything there, but oh well, that piece of paper is worth a well paying carreer I guess :shrug:

Last edited by Eraser on 02-15-2005 06:12 AM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02-15-2005 06:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well yes, basically. I have taken all the classes (three and a half years). I just need to re-enroll for one (the final) semester and write my paper.

Last edited by Grudge on 02-15-2005 06:13 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 06:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ohes. I see.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 06:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my brother will get his Masters in (Astro)-Physics in august. then he's up for 4 years of more researching fun to get his PhD, followed by 2 years of post-doc. followed by 5 years of "fieldwork" to make Professor

gotta admire the discipline - i wouldve given up after just hearing how much time it takes :(

PostPosted: 02-15-2005 06:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your brother is studying Astrophysics? I'm surprised.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 07:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congratulations :)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 07:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Massive Quasars wrote:

whys that sir

PostPosted: 02-15-2005 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Massive Quasars wrote:

whys that sir

I'm not implying anything... :paranoid:

It's just relatively rare to come across someone studying that.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

way to go man .. call me when your rich .. we will be best freinds.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 07:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

truth. this hobo does this for fun even - he enjoys studying 16hrs a day for 15+ years :o

he also had quite the elaborate argument about how the current spacethread on these boards totally miss the point of the original article :tear:

PostPosted: 02-15-2005 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then let him post. :icon30:

I know that space thread was totally derailed.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 07:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

he posted here a couple of times a year or 2 ago, when kracus had his random thought threads every 2 days.
he killed them all off with something kracus would never get - background research, abstract thinking and logic :D

i can post his thingy though.. just gimme a minute to translate

[edit] he stopped posting cause kracus would get angry and start flaming all round btw, something one doesnt want when debating science [/edit]

PostPosted: 02-15-2005 07:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
he posted here a couple of times a year or 2 ago, when kracus had his random thought threads every 2 days.
he killed them all off with something kracus would never get - background research, abstract thinking and logic :D

i can post his thingy though.. just gimme a minute to translate

[edit] he stopped posting cause kracus would get angry and start flaming all round btw, something one doesnt want when debating science [/edit]

Kracus is a dumbass, it's too bad he left.

I'd like to read this thingy you speak of.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 08:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

here goes
ignore spelling errors and grammarmistakes, i translated it in a hurry

"The shape" shouldnt be taken literally. A simple way of putting it is;
If one would draw two parallel lines on a sheet of paper, those two lines would never meet. The "shape" of the sheet of paper is therefore called "Eculidian" (dispite the actual shape of the sheet, be it square, triangular or anything else for that matter). This sounds more than logical - parallel does mean the two would never meet. However, the opposite is also possible.
If one would draw two lines parallel on let's say the Earth, those lines WOULD meet (at the north and south poles, most likely). The "shape" of the Earth is therefore called "spherical". (the fact that the earth actually *is* a sphere is not important)
The mathimatical name of the shape of the surface (read: the way the two lines would behave) is "the metric". When one speaks of "the shape" of the universe, one means "the metric of the universe". Now, obviously it would be impossible to draw 2 lines through the universe to see if they would meet or not. And obviously, one doesn't draw lines on any surface (abstract or concrete) to see what it's metric is. Instead, they use Einstein's General Theory of Relativity: the metric depends on the amount of energy and mass in said object (universe in this case). Using this theory, one finds out that the universe has a Euclidian metric - ergo, the "shape" of the universe makes it so that parallel lines never meet, comparible to the aforementioned sheet of paper.
Simply put - the universe's shape is not important - it's the metric that is, and that's flat as flat can be.

oblivion
oblivion
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that actually made sense. :paranoid:

PostPosted: 02-15-2005 08:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you MKJ.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 08:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:icon14:

Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 11:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bachelors... dont they make that soup that you can make in a cup? With croutons...

Long and Strong
Long and Strong
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 12:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats man

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
my brother will get his Masters in (Astro)-Physics in august. then he's up for 4 years of more researching fun to get his PhD, followed by 2 years of post-doc. followed by 5 years of "fieldwork" to make Professor

gotta admire the discipline - i wouldve given up after just hearing how much time it takes :(

you know how long it takes to become a doctor? :(

btw, congrats Eraser.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 12:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Once again, a reflection of how much time everyone's spent at these forums and how far some of us have come. Congratulations you tight-arsed bastard :icon14:

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats Eraser, good job man. :icon14:

KITTY!!
KITTY!!
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 12:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats Eraser, ive only got three and a half years to go!

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 06:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats Eraser :icon14:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 06:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed.

Congratulations man. :icon1: :icon14:

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 02-15-2005 07:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congrats.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 12:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks all :D

I hated college in the end. It was like all teachers (except for a handful) were morons who didn't know what they were talking about at all. They had stupid policies and most of the time teachers broke their own rules (being late or not being available at all) If you wanted to slightly deviate from the "rules" (like being late with signing up for next semester's classes, late as in not at least 3 weeks before next semester starts) you had to fill in forms and get it signed by a gazillion people. It was even so bad that I got the invitation for my brother's graduation ceremony (who did the exact same study as I and finished up 2 years ago). Sigh. At least I've left all nonsense behind me now.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 12:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gg eraesr :icon14:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.