Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Q3W Bikers

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Q3W Bikers

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 02:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
dont get a fucking 800cc machine as your first bike, ffs. get a 600cc or 650cc at most, if you need to hit tht number.

the power difference between 600 and 800 is substantial, and trust me, you will not be needing it. I bet both of my balls, you will most likely never outgrow even a 600cc. unless you're gonna be one of those "straight line speed" morons. the beauty of riding is hitting the curves. and that can take years to master, let alone feel the need for a better machine.

The bike I have (2000 suzuki sv650 naked) is a nice start up with enough power to keep you entertained for years. and since that's the only bike I personally know , I can tell you it's fairly inexpensive and very popular.

get a used bike, don't get a new one for a first... you will most likely regret it. It just doest make any logical sense to buy new.

Get anything between a 2000 and 2010, used sv650, and you'll never look back

If you decide to spend any proper money for a better bike, I would suggest to favor one with an ABS system...it's the most substantial feature a bike can have these days that would justify its existence over another.
here's mine... i did some extra work on it to make it very cleaned up / stripped down, but this is basically a 2000 sv650 standard

whatever you end up getting for a first bike, at least get a pair of frame sliders on it to protect most of the frame and main fairings in case of a tip-over.

Also, expect to spend at least 500-600$ getting a proper helmet and gear... if you decide to ride without any gear, atleast don't cheap out on the helmet. my helmet cost $300 and that's just over the base price for a good quality one. DON't spend 100 bucks on your helmet.

Such good advice. SV650 is what I keep looking for thats not beat to fuck and back.

LOL@ wanting anything bigger.

Not being a jerk or joking, Kracus but have you thought about the low end ninjas? Are you going to be doing a shit ton of 80+MPH commuting? I was in the same boat a few months ago and now that itll mostly be town riding, I'm honestly considering a smaller ninja for a "First bike"

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 06:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anything under a 600 you'll regret it after a couple of months.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 06:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Soapboy has "no ragrets"...

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 08:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 09:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Such good advice. SV650 is what I keep looking for thats not beat to fuck and back.

LOL@ wanting anything bigger.

Not being a jerk or joking, Kracus but have you thought about the low end ninjas? Are you going to be doing a shit ton of 80+MPH commuting? I was in the same boat a few months ago and now that itll mostly be town riding, I'm honestly considering a smaller ninja for a "First bike"

I actually think that is good advice, I went to the honda dealership a few days ago to see what they had to offer. I seen a 600R that looked nice, ride position wasn't too hunched forward. I also browsed one of their "adventure" bikes which honestly is pretty awesome.

The thing about town riding is that I already own a GTI (lol I know) so I'm not too worried about that, nor am I planning on using a bike as my get around town vehicle. I strictly want to buy this as a toy to have fun with on country roads. Another huge factor is the price of the bike, at 6500$ I'm getting an 11,000$ bike. I checked the honda's and they go for 7k+ starting at 500cc. Plus the ride position on the FZ8 is another factor that makes me want it.

Another thing I'm trying to factor in is that I'll be paying for the bike for several years so will I still enjoy a 600cc bike in 3 years? Ultimately though, it's the price that's attractive to me, it's just a damn good price for that bike.

So I passed my written test thus far and I've bought all my gear and signed up for a course that starts next week on Thursday and my road test is on the 19th. This is gonna be a long fucking week. :mad:

I am missing one thing though, I didn't buy any riding boots as I'm planning on using my hiking boots for the course.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Again implies you had one. Lost, expired, taken from you?
Here we have a licence for life, well into out 80s but you have to pay something like $40 - $50 per year for the privilege :smirk: and of course it can be taken from you for multiple offences. Drink driving convictions (high BAC) will easily have it removed for > 6 months,

The whole 'driving or riding' test experience I meant :). I've never had a bike license and my car license is 100% clean, no points or endorsements :D.

Over here your license is valid for life but once you hit 70 I believe then you have to renew it every 3 years, rather than every 10 (renewing it is just a case of filling in a form, it's free and no test required).

I do very much like the thought of a GSXR 600 though (even if I did kill myself).

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 08-09-2014 02:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:

Cool story bro :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-09-2014 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FZ8 is the retarded brother, don't get it. It's just a fat FZ6 with no decent upgrades. Fz09 is what the 8 should have been, you should check out the fz07 tho.

Lawl said you can get a bigger bike and not die if you aren't a retard which is true. but not dying and learning how to ride well are 2 different things and it's easier to learn to ride on smaller bikes. Mostly just stay away from I4s as a first bike. Also, you are a retard.

Pictured: Best FZ

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-11-2014 10:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FZ9 in these parts are running near 10k+ while the FZ8 I have my eye on is going for 6.5k. I'm having a hard time justifying an extra 4000$ for a few extra cc's I don't particularly want.

In fact I've been to a kawasaki dealership today and the Ninja 300 seems like a decent starter bike too. I was hoping to get something between 600 and 800 cc's but if the Fazer is sold by the time I get my license I might be tempted to get a Ninja. Sooo many choices.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 08-11-2014 03:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get the Ninja 300. :olo:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-11-2014 03:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know. All over the place... Thing is I rode a 1000cc bike and at my level yeah it was a bit scary so an almost 800cc bike is exciting but making me think at the same time. We'll see. Either way can't wait for Thursday.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-11-2014 04:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

get a sv650, close thread.... you're welcome.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 08-11-2014 04:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I know. All over the place... Thing is I rode a 1000cc bike and at my level yeah it was a bit scary so an almost 800cc bike is exciting but making me think at the same time. We'll see. Either way can't wait for Thursday.

Stop trying to convince yourself you've decided on a particular bike and spend hours researching by reading the comparison reviews on the link I posted. You obviously aren't sure what you want or need.

Also SV650's are well known to be underpowered, ugly fag machines. Of course any dickhead who owns one will try to convince you otherwise. But they're a terrible choice in bike when considering the alternatives.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-12-2014 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
FZ9 in these parts are running near 10k+ while the FZ8 I have my eye on is going for 6.5k. I'm having a hard time justifying an extra 4000$ for a few extra cc's I don't particularly want.

In fact I've been to a kawasaki dealership today and the Ninja 300 seems like a decent starter bike too. I was hoping to get something between 600 and 800 cc's but if the Fazer is sold by the time I get my license I might be tempted to get a Ninja. Sooo many choices.

Then get a 6. The 8 is just a fat 6 with a sleeved 1 motor.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-14-2014 04:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-15-2014 03:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If that's real that's pretty impressive.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-15-2014 03:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
If that's real

lol

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-18-2014 03:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They proved you could skip across the water on a motorbike on mythbusters spazda.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-18-2014 04:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:
If I ever lay down for a bike it'll one bike and one bike only - the Ducati Sport 1000 <3

Beautiful bike.

Yes - I'd buy one just to look at it :paranoid:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-18-2014 02:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
They proved you could skip across the water on a motorbike on mythbusters spazda.

Then why are you doubting it?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-18-2014 02:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is this a good bike? Just picked one up yesterday on an impulse... Some kid said they were alright...

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-18-2014 04:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meh, I guess it's OK. Pretty comparable to mine as far as specs. I don't care for the styling, but that's my opinion. Plus, pic of you sitting on it today or you're full of shit.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-18-2014 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why is the brake fluid level indicator facing away from the rider? retarded...lol, wonder if they through together the rest of the bike with similar care.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 08-18-2014 04:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
Anything under a 600 you'll regret it after a couple of months.

So true, and there's really no replacement for displacement. I regretted my 600 horribly with the amount of motorway miles I have to do here.

If the rider is a moron, they'll put themselves in a hedge regardless of it being a 600 or a 1000+, so just get what works for you. The torque from the big bikes is lovely :up:

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-18-2014 05:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
Meh, I guess it's OK. Pretty comparable to mine as far as specs. I don't care for the styling, but that's my opinion. Plus, pic of you sitting on it today or you're full of shit.

Of course he's full of shit. He lies about possessions. :olo:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-18-2014 06:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geoff and Kracus should be best friends.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-18-2014 06:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
Scourge wrote:

Of course he's full of shit. He lies about possessions. :olo:

We all know this, but maybe his excuses will be slightly entertaining. He's not man enough to own anything more than a Vespa.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 08-18-2014 06:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He couldn't afford anything more than a used bicycle, and he'd have to save for that.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-18-2014 07:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually I bought that bike for my 12 year old son... U mad?...

i like to program
i like to program
PostPosted: 08-18-2014 09:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SV650s aren't lookers, but they also aren't terrible to learn on. However, there are even shittier bikes if you just want to pick up something to learn on (which you should). If I could redo learning how to ride, I'd of bought some used $1,000 Honda cruiser or an old model Ninja 250 to mob out on for the first 6 months.

Buying a brand new bike for your first bike is an all around terrible idea, unless you're just extremely aware and calm. I had 3 or so small wrecks my first year of riding - a lowside from being a newb in a turn ("gravel from the driveway"), a panic brake lockup to lowside, and a highside from downshifting too fast and locking it up.

Most states in America have different endorsements for different classes of motorcycles, but most implicitly let you ride smaller displacements if you have an endorsement for a higher.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 08-18-2014 11:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:

Ok Kracus.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-19-2014 03:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:

Still full of shit, or he won't let you sit on it. Either way, you're an idiot.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-19-2014 04:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prolly picking up one of these for me tomorrow... Is this one good?... Should I?...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-19-2014 07:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inolen wrote:
SV650s aren't lookers, but they also aren't terrible to learn on. However, there are even shittier bikes if you just want to pick up something to learn on (which you should). If I could redo learning how to ride, I'd of bought some used $1,000 Honda cruiser or an old model Ninja 250 to mob out on for the first 6 months.

Buying a brand new bike for your first bike is an all around terrible idea, unless you're just extremely aware and calm. I had 3 or so small wrecks my first year of riding - a lowside from being a newb in a turn ("gravel from the driveway"), a panic brake lockup to lowside, and a highside from downshifting too fast and locking it up.

Most states in America have different endorsements for different classes of motorcycles, but most implicitly let you ride smaller displacements if you have an endorsement for a higher.

Yeah, you don't 'regret' buying a small bike 5 months down the line, you sell it and buy a new bike, that's the point.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-19-2014 07:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
Prolly picking up one of these for me tomorrow... Is this one good?... Should I?...

lmao.

Check out this loooser trying to validate his pitiful existence by claiming he's going to buy things he can't afford. Sums up the problem with society's riff-raff today, fairly succinctly. What a Geoke. :olo:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.