Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Climate change

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Climate change

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-26-2017 01:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.sciencealert.com/photos-reve ... ethane-gas

Quote:
Satellite images have revealed more than 200 strange, bright blue lakes in Russia's Arctic regions that are bubbling "like jacuzzis" as a result of leaking methane gas.

:paranoid:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-26-2017 02:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We're fucked. When people ask why there's no aliens running around the galaxy, this is the reason. Beings that become self aware are too fucking stupid to avoid extinction.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-26-2017 03:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Based on that large control group we have, I'm sure.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-26-2017 04:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Look at the bright side though. We probably lived during humanities peak. In the billions of years, if not vastly more if you believe in an infinite universe, there has been no trace left that there has been another sentient species capable of leaving some kind of signal that they exist or existed meaning this is probably as far as they make it.

It's amusing to think of our voyager space craft though. I mean realistically we can't be the only ones to have figured out how to send satellites into space. Then you think of the scope of the universe and that the billions of galaxy's we can see, made up of billions of individual stars are actually just a fraction of what we see.

Fermi paradox is a bitch.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-26-2017 08:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
...meaning this is probably as far as they make it...

Not really, the fermi paradox has too many variables to make that a probable possibility. Variables like we are, in galactic terms, in the middle of nowhere and the time we have existed as a race is miniscule, fermi paradox is a good theory though that does acknowledge its own shortcomings.

Thing with it n all, it was created with a lack of data but if data was obtained (confirmed alien life) then it starts falling apart.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-26-2017 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also, we're way out in the sticks, galactically speaking. if there are any ¯\(º o)/¯ ALIENS ¯\(º o)/¯ in the galactic centre they probably can't see shit out here

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-26-2017 02:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Too many X-rays and black holes for life. Soz.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-13-2020 06:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably a good time to revive this thread since Siberia's northern coast hit 40C in June. This in addition to the permafrost thawing—which will release billions of tonnes of carbon into the atmosphere—and has caused drought, massive forest fires, and mosquito swarms, means we're well on our way to being truly fucked.

Quote:
This year’s heat has already contributed to an environmental disaster, Russian officials say. A fuel tank near the isolated Arctic mining city of Norilsk burst in late May after sinking into permafrost that had stood firm for years but gave way during a warm spring, officials said. It released about 150,000 barrels of diesel into a river.

The Arctic has been heating more than twice as fast as the rest of the world, and annual temperatures in the region from 2016 to 2019 were the highest on record. But this year may be even hotter.

Temperatures in Siberia were 18.5 degrees Fahrenheit above average in May, the World Meteorological Organization said, “driving the warmest May on record for the entire Northern hemisphere and indeed the globe.”

Above the Arctic Circle, there has been no escaping the heat because the sun shines around the clock.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/worl ... hange.html

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-13-2020 08:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's also this thing that's not good.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-13-2020 08:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And Brazil is still burning down the Amazon...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-14-2020 11:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We’re so fuct.

I’m often grateful I live in an area where it shouldn’t be too difficult to sustain myself if shit gets really bad. I can grow a garden and slaughter animals if I need to. Water would be the only problem as it’s already hot and dry here. There are plenty of water wells, but you never know how long they will last when the climate really starts ramping up.

City/seaside dwellers, do you have a plan if the climate gets too extreme for you to stay put? I don’t have enough room for all of you...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-14-2020 01:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
City/seaside dwellers, do you have a plan if the climate gets too extreme for you to stay put? I don’t have enough room for all of you...

Cries in Netherlands

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-14-2020 01:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that sucks. I’ve actually thought about visiting some vulnerable places in the next few years. Just so I can make sure and see them before they’re changed or gone...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-14-2020 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

can't think of any other reason to go to Florida

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-14-2020 02:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Even if it wasn’t the epicenter of COVID, it’d be a hard pass. I’ve already been several times. Overrated.

I do have to go one more time to see Dry Tortugas...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-15-2020 10:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sounds like fat blockheads and old people to me, and the only entertainment is Disneyland and watching people's houses get blown away by hurricanes

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-15-2020 01:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They use Florida as a platform to launch rockets off of :shrug:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-15-2020 02:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

people would rather be in space than in Florida

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-16-2020 02:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Floridurrrrrrr

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-19-2020 12:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-07-2020 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-07-2020 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

That first line.... "The Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets, which hold enough frozen water to lift oceans 65 metres...." :eek: :eek:

Some 65 metres is a lot of real estate lost to the ocean.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-04-2022 03:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bump

https://www.engadget.com/we-have-three- ... 58474.html
Quote:
The world needs to cut carbon emissions by a quarter by the year 2030 to avoid the most catastrophic impacts of climate change, according to the latest report from the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Governments and industries must make sure to level carbon emissions by 2025. Even then, the world will need to invest in CO2 removal factories and other technologies to remove carbon dioxide from the sky. With all these measures in place, the world can still expect a bare minimum temperature increase of 1.5 degrees Celsius over the next few decades, still, a grim outcome that will eviscerate most of the world’s coral reefs and make many low-lying regions uninhabitable.

We are so royally fucked. There is no way we will make that target. :dts:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.