Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Anyone play Destiny?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Anyone play Destiny?

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 09-11-2015 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
See, I never understand this. If hundreds of millions of people played and enjoyed Halo, how can it be overrated? Of course, it's a matter of opinion whether or not something is good. But if so many people like it, how is it overrated? Really, "overrated" shouldn't be used in this context. "Overrated" should be used when you're talking about a ranking system. Say Halo is ranked 3rd on the all time greatest games list. Then it might be "overrated"...

Allow me to explain by way of a hypothetical scenario:

Let's say you're a connaisseur of great wine, you know your Coche-Dury Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru from your Domaine Leroy Romanee-Saint-Vivant Grand Cru and you look forward to savouring an excellent bottle with maybe a bit of tremendous cheese, yes? But lo and behold, all of a sudden the prophet Mohammed descends from heaven and with a thundering voice exclaims 'Alcohol is no longer haram!', before mysteriously vanishing into a puff of smoke. Wham, the market for wine is suddenly wide open - there's about a 1.6 billion extra customers of varying degrees of wealth overnight, and they all want to taste this no longer forbidden pleasure.

Fleets of containerships filled to the brim with cheap wine overflow the market, and most of them are completely shite - made from inferior grapes that leave a vile taste in your mouth. After some turbulence the market eventually settles, and the press agrees; this one new wine from Latvia is actually pretty good! Yes, you think, good if you've never tasted wine before, fucking swine! It's at most average, the kind of stuff you might but at a supermarket. Jesus!

You might, at this point, find this Latvian wine, winner of rewards and selling like crazy, overrated.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-11-2015 06:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

holy shit Ryoki, that's brilliant :D

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-11-2015 07:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Love the scenario. But I don't know that it translates well to the gaming scene and this particular situation. There are plenty of gaming connoisseurs out there that played and enjoyed Halo...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-11-2015 08:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a valid scenario except he fails to account what constitutes good taste and what doesn't. Having played almost every shooter in existence it's difficult to arbitrarily pass judgement on what I consider a good FPS or not and I also find the halo series great FPS games.

They have depth, a good story, cliche but lovable characters but most importantly the game itself is well constructed. Yes it's enjoyed by the masses which makes it a special game as most good FPS games only appeal to the elite that can appreciate what makes a good FPS. Back in 99 it was all about which was better, Q3 or Unreal 2 (3?) I forget, because utlimately Unreal was a shit game made for the masses like what Ryoki is describing. Do you want flashy explosions or a weapons that are extremely well balanced with well thought out level design? Well if your a casual you go for the splosions, cause that's all the depth you're going to experience so it might as well be flashy. If you have a deeper understanding of weapon balance and you can see that a rocket launcher that shoots 6 rockets covering a spread the size of a football field then you might go for the latter.

Halo, however, doesn't disappoint. It has extremely well designed levels and a good balance of weapons. There's also a matter of timing and Halo came out exactly when it needed to in order to gobble up the market.

I'm not saying there aren't better shooters out there, but to say Halo is cheap or bad is just plain ignorant.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-11-2015 12:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's the same problem I have with Apple fanboys. Apple doesn't make bad stuff, but the stuff they make isn't significantly better than the stuff the competition offers, so there's no need for the almost religious devotion some people have for it.

Halo is often described as "The Definitive Shooter" or as "revolutionary" when really, it did little more than what comparable games (mostly on PC) had been doing for some time already. I feel the series receives too much credit for what it really is, especially if you consider what a piece of shit Halo Reach is.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-11-2015 12:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:alert: moron alert.

I'm not even a fanboy of halo and I loved halo reach. Destiny is a bad halo. If you want to critique a game at least choose the right title. Bad plot bad characters iffy level design bad bosses repetitive annoying bullet sponges etc...

It's ok to not like sci fy shooters but just because they are doesn't make them bad.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-11-2015 02:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Halo reach was a poor game, regardless of if you liked it or not.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-11-2015 04:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
See, I never understand this. If hundreds of millions of people played and enjoyed Halo, how can it be overrated? Of course, it's a matter of opinion whether or not something is good. But if so many people like it, how is it overrated? Really, "overrated" shouldn't be used in this context. "Overrated" should be used when you're talking about a ranking system. Say Halo is ranked 3rd on the all time greatest games list. Then it might be "overrated"...

Hundreds of millions? There have only been 6.43 million sales of Halo since 2001. :offended:

I don't think you understand the definition of the word overrated. You can like something and still think it's overrated. And overratedness can be objectively measured, too.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-11-2015 05:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Halo games have been (I can only comment on the first three since I wanted to give it a chance but it was just absolute rubbish) floaty sluggish yawn-fests. The physics was completely whacked and made the game felt like a chore to play.
The weapons were incredibly dull and didn't have the variety between them as you'd see in the Quake and Doom series; the weapons in Halo all felt pretty similar and lacked the 'umpf' one would get from a super shotgun or railgun.

I enjoyed GoldenEye much more for a console shooter despite not being able to jump. The weapons were pretty distinct and felt right. The music was excellent too and paintball mode was a blast.

If the weapons had a better feel to them and the game was faster paced it probably would have been a more enjoyable experience.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-11-2015 05:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
See, I never understand this. If hundreds of millions of people played and enjoyed Halo, how can it be overrated? Of course, it's a matter of opinion whether or not something is good. But if so many people like it, how is it overrated?

Millions like Justin Beiber's music. Food for thought.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's of very high quality nor is it necessarily deserving of it's popularity. It just boils down to a combo of good marketing and low to no exposure to alternatives.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-17-2015 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://kotaku.com/destiny-the-taken-kin ... 1731460036

Quote:
“Is this even legal?” writes one player. “Say you buy a couch for 100. After a year the company you bought it from comes to your door and asks you 40 dollars extra for the couch and if you buy it you get a nice pillow. You say you don’t want to pay. They saw your couch in half and take one half with them... That’s how I feel about TTK so far.”

Fuck that horseshit. Bungie fails again.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-17-2015 07:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:
xer0s wrote:
See, I never understand this. If hundreds of millions of people played and enjoyed Halo, how can it be overrated? Of course, it's a matter of opinion whether or not something is good. But if so many people like it, how is it overrated?

Millions like Justin Beiber's music. Food for thought.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's of very high quality nor is it necessarily deserving of it's popularity. It just boils down to a combo of good marketing and low to no exposure to alternatives.

BAM!!!!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-18-2015 04:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
http://kotaku.com/destiny-the-taken-king-leaves-old-players-behind-1731460036

Yep, that's Activision doing the decision making over at Bungie.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-18-2015 11:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Big surprise, shit game is shit.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.