Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Sensory Deprivation

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Sensory Deprivation

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-14-2015 08:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone ever been in an isolation tank? I did my first float today and it was quite the experience. Eliminating your senses really lets your mind go to some interesting places. Deep consciousness is a truely enlightening experience. I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I loved it. Hope to do another float sometime soon :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-14-2015 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting :up:

I spent a half hour or so I am told in a deep dark prison cell once. Devoid of light and only but the faintest sounds from outside were evident. I truly could not see my hand in front of my face. I was able to walk a few steps before bumping into wall :smirk:

I really can't recall how long as it was a while ago but don't think it was any longer.

I really can't portray the feeling and even though I am yet to experience isolation/floatation tanks I think it is much the same surreal, out of body kind of event.

Question: Did you have any sound available? Some I hear play 'mood music' that must belittle the experience.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 09-14-2015 09:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Anyone ever been in an isolation tank?

Fucking weirdo...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-14-2015 09:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Interesting :up:

I spent a half hour or so I am told in a deep dark prison cell once. Devoid of light and only but the faintest sounds from outside were evident. I truly could not see my hand in front of my face. I was able to walk a few steps before bumping into wall :smirk:

I really can't recall how long as it was a while ago but don't think it was any longer.

I really can't portray the feeling and even though I am yet to experience isolation/floatation tanks I think it is much the same surreal, out of body kind of event.

Question: Did you have any sound available? Some I hear play 'mood music' that must belittle the experience.

Not the same. Sensory deprivation tanks float you in salt water that is the same temperature as your body. No touch, no sight, no sound, no taste, no smell. Nothing.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-15-2015 02:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I listen to Joe Rogan's podcast and he keeps bringing up his float tank that he had built in his house. Sounds like some trippy shit, but it's not for me. Weed works just fine. :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-15-2015 05:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:

Not the same. Sensory deprivation tanks float you in salt water that is the same temperature as your body. No touch, no sight, no sound, no taste, no smell. Nothing.

Exactly. I'm not sure what Whiskey is describing. Sounds like a repressed childhood memory...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-15-2015 09:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Deep consciousness is a truely enlightening experience.

if only your command of the english language was equal to the task of describing the experience without resorting to cliche

sounds a lot like dreaming tbh

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-15-2015 09:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, Sere, it's a little difficult to explain and express the experience...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 09-15-2015 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But not impossible. A little more than something u would fine on a promotional printout would be preferable.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 09-15-2015 11:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was it like the Simpsons' episode?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-15-2015 01:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
But not impossible. A little more than something u would fine on a promotional printout would be preferable.

Hmmm, I guess you're right. Sorry about that, I've never been good at elaborating about shit. Terrible storyteller...

Basically the place I went to had a spa-like atmosphere. They take you into your own private room with your float tank. There's a shower there in the room that they ask that everyone uses to remove any oils or chemicals you might have on you. You then hop in the tank and pull the lid closed, entering into pitch darkness. I eased in like an old man taking a hot bath. You don't want to slosh around too much cause you'll bounce around and hit the side of the tank. Once you get laid down, you immediately start floating effortlessly due to the tremendous amount of Epsom salt in the water. At first I wanted to try to hold my head up, but I quickly realized I just need to relax and let the salt water do its thing. It takes a while to get use to what's going on and I had a hard time not thinking about the tank I was in and what I was feeling, or the lack there of. Once the novelty of the deprivation ends, then your mind is free to start wandering. And mine went to some crazy places. Most of the thoughts are hard to explain, but I was really able to hone in on some real issues and my true thoughts on everything. Pure consciousness is a hell of a drug. Nothing like weed, Transient. Or any other drug I've ever done...

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 09-15-2015 03:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:

find

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 09-15-2015 05:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's better :thumbup: sounds like something I'd like to give a go. Prolly would feel really weird, since I've adopted some horribly over sensory multitasking Habbits.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-16-2015 02:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
Habbits.

About this tall with hairy feet?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-16-2015 03:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
multitasking Habbits.

they can steal treasure while smoking a pipe

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-16-2015 03:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Tsakali wrote:

Hmmm, I guess you're right. Sorry about that, I've never been good at elaborating about shit. Terrible storyteller...

Basically the place I went to had a spa-like atmosphere. They take you into your own private room with your float tank. There's a shower there in the room that they ask that everyone uses to remove any oils or chemicals you might have on you. You then hop in the tank and pull the lid closed, entering into pitch darkness. I eased in like an old man taking a hot bath. You don't want to slosh around too much cause you'll bounce around and hit the side of the tank. Once you get laid down, you immediately start floating effortlessly due to the tremendous amount of Epsom salt in the water. At first I wanted to try to hold my head up, but I quickly realized I just need to relax and let the salt water do its thing. It takes a while to get use to what's going on and I had a hard time not thinking about the tank I was in and what I was feeling, or the lack there of. Once the novelty of the deprivation ends, then your mind is free to start wandering. And mine went to some crazy places. Most of the thoughts are hard to explain, but I was really able to hone in on some real issues and my true thoughts on everything. Pure consciousness is a hell of a drug. Nothing like weed, Transient. Or any other drug I've ever done...

LSD is a lot like that too in the right circumstances. Very much like you describe.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 09-16-2015 04:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus has taken drugs guys.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-16-2015 04:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So have I. Do I get a gold star? :idea:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-17-2015 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The difference is that you have actually taken drugs. Kracus is just telling everyone that he has taken drugs.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.