Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Reintroducing Quake to the Wild


Post new topicReply to topic
Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC




Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Reintroducing Quake to the Wild

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 42634
PostPosted: 02-23-2015 07:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Here's an article about someone who set up a small 16 player 1v1 Quake3 competition set during a bigger LAN competition where other games (like CoD or LoL) were played. The competition wasn't announced properly so the 16 signups were done in a spur-of-the-moment thing, all by players who had never played Quake before (except for one player, who completely dominated the whole thing).

The whole thing (the article comes with gameplay videos) shows how completely inexperienced players pick up and play Quake Live, being blissfully unaware of techniques like strafejumping (or even jumping in general), items and the timing thereof, map knowledge and strategy. It's kind of cute to see actually.

Check the first five minutes of the first video to get the idea.

http://www.fpspulse.com/articles/reintr ... -the-wild/




Top
                 

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
Joined: 20 Jul 2001
Posts: 11388
PostPosted: 02-23-2015 04:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Very interesting article & videos Eraser.
Thank you and as you said "kind of cute to see actually".



_________________
Hit my WWW and make the world spin :D


Top
                 

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Joined: 24 Nov 2000
Posts: 43735
PostPosted: 02-23-2015 11:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


article on kotatu
http://kotaku.com/a-quake-tournament-wh ... 1687605373

I like the wording; "Quake is a game of hard skill thresholds. Once a player has reached certain 'checkpoints' in development it becomes very hard, if not impossible, for a player of lower skill to beat this person."




Top
                 

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
Joined: 20 Dec 2014
Posts: 1184
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 06:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Man, Q3 really is the greatest game of all time. I can't name my favourite anything, really, except my favourite game.

I haven't played it since 2003, but it just looks so fast and fluid. The console killed FPS games.




Top
                 

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
Joined: 20 Dec 2014
Posts: 1184
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


MKJ wrote:

I like the wording; "Quake is a game of hard skill thresholds. Once a player has reached certain 'checkpoints' in development it becomes very hard, if not impossible, for a player of lower skill to beat this person."


That's really accurate. I remember when I first started playing Q3, the first couple of years were pure deathmatch affairs, and I rarely, if ever lost. Then one day I played raw for the first time, DM17, and he utterly annihilated me, and I only remember this, because of the amount of times he posted the screenshot of me saying "I don't understand how can you be so good?"

I found him unbeatable at that time.




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 42634
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 06:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


heh, me and my friends played Quake 3 quite a bit against each other through LAN connections and felt awesome for being able to beat all of the single player mode on Nightmare difficulty. Then we got Internet connections and started playing online and we realized just how bad we were at this game :D




Top
                 

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 20314
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 08:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


syp0s wrote:
I remember when I first started playing Q3, the first couple of years were pure deathmatch affairs, and I rarely, if ever lost. Then one day I played raw for the first time, DM17, and he utterly annihilated me, and I only remember this, because of the amount of times he posted the screenshot of me saying "I don't understand how can you be so good?"

I found him unbeatable at that time.


That's sounds just like what happened to duhard when he played me... What naive nub chumps... :olo: ...




Top
                 

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 51351
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 08:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Quake 3 is the king of the arena FPS games for sure - nothing has ever come close to being as good as it. I have hope for Relflex, but I already dislike how the 'rail gun' only does 80 damage, like Quake Live




Top
                 

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
Joined: 20 Dec 2014
Posts: 1184
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 08:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


scared? wrote:
That's sounds just like what happened to duhard when he played me... What naive nub chumps... :olo: ...


I played you once, when you were under another Altnic. Your skill level was higher than anyone I'd ever seen who wasn't a professional gamer. I don't doubt you'd have beaten a few of them, too, actually.




Top
                 

Shambolic
Shambolic
Joined: 11 Apr 2000
Posts: 7831
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 09:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Yeah, for all Geoff's bluster, he's a damn good Quaker. I made the mistake of playing him on Q3Tourney2 while I was an HPB (was on ISDN at the time; lol, dead tech). I'd never seen such a good LG before.

But that's enough stroking his ego. He'll get even more insufferable.




Top
                 

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 51351
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 10:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I played him on 56k and got a sound beating - I did have to play on a US server, though :/




Top
                 

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 20314
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 10:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I also played without a monitor... :olo: ...




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 23725
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 10:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Yes, but the game was projected onto your wife's ass, so...




Top
                 

redline
redline
Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 1866
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Mat Linnett wrote:
Yeah, for all Geoff's bluster, he's a damn good Quaker. I made the mistake of playing him on Q3Tourney2 while I was an HPB (was on ISDN at the time; lol, dead tech). I'd never seen such a good LG before.

But that's enough stroking his ego. He'll get even more insufferable.


I remember there being a lot of talk back in the day, but which regular posters were actually good?

I think Dark Metal and SoM were fun to play with and Amidyfreak was pretty solid, too. [xeno]Julios was good, who else? Menkent I think.

I think there used to be a "competitive gaming" section here, right?




Top
                 

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 20314
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Me and Julios played quake2 together nightly before we had broadband...




Top
                 

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 51351
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 10:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Azer and Jules were the best I have played on this board. Hell was the best player I've ever played against - even in my peak he'd put 30 kills on me in a 15 minute match




Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 5044
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 11:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


In 2000 we had a tournament here and me and ^rec were in the finals and ^rec beat me for the win. Jules is way better than I am though, doomer was too the rest of you were meh. :)

I did however join a tournament here once upon a time. I was obviously the only skilled player in the tournament cause I dominated.

In fact, I destroyed people so bad they made the final match a 10 player free for all on Q3DM18 if I recall correctly. It was a space map meant for I think 6 players and was a complete clusterfuck. I got telefragged several times and wound up getting 2nd place and a big fat nothing even though I would have destroyed the winner in a 1 vs 1 and even though I destroyed every other match on the way there. I was pretty pissed honestly, it was a shit way to finish a tournament and pretty much made the end as random as it could be.




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 23725
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 11:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


None of ya'll could beat me in RA3...




Top
                 

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
Joined: 10 Feb 2001
Posts: 23725
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Keyword: could, not can ;)




Top
                 

redline
redline
Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 1866
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Memphis wrote:
xer0s wrote:
None of ya'll could beat me in RA3...


1v1. we'll stream it on steam :owned:


Let's play Toxikk guys :)




Top
                 

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 20314
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 01:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


xer0s wrote:
None of ya'll could beat me in RA3...


Wrong... Next...




Top
                 

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Posts: 12305
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 02:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Sounds like it's time for a little comp?



_________________
GtkRadiant | Q3Map2 | Shader Manual


Top
                 

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
Joined: 11 Aug 2000
Posts: 48039
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 03:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Κracus wrote:
In 2000 we had a tournament here and me and ^rec were in the finals and ^rec beat me for the win. Jules is way better than I am though, doomer was too the rest of you were meh. :)

I did however join a tournament here once upon a time. I was obviously the only skilled player in the tournament cause I dominated.

In fact, I destroyed people so bad they made the final match a 10 player free for all on Q3DM18 if I recall correctly. It was a space map meant for I think 6 players and was a complete clusterfuck. I got telefragged several times and wound up getting 2nd place and a big fat nothing even though I would have destroyed the winner in a 1 vs 1 and even though I destroyed every other match on the way there. I was pretty pissed honestly, it was a shit way to finish a tournament and pretty much made the end as random as it could be.


This is bullshit




Top
                 

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
Joined: 18 Feb 2002
Posts: 21473
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 06:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


syp0s wrote:
Man, Q3 really is the greatest game of all time. I can't name my favourite anything, really, except my favourite game.

I haven't played it since 2003, but it just looks so fast and fluid. The console killed FPS games.


gunbound?

[gook (musical note)]



_________________
Quote:
I WOULDN'T SAY IT WAS MURDER. YOU CAN'T MURDER A CHINAMAN, YOU CAN ONLY PUT HIM WHERE HE NEEDS TO BE.


Top
                 

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
Joined: 18 Feb 2002
Posts: 21473
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 06:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Watching those videos made me so nostalgic. The movement is so graceful and fluid, fuck I miss FPS games before consoles destroyed them.



_________________
Quote:
I WOULDN'T SAY IT WAS MURDER. YOU CAN'T MURDER A CHINAMAN, YOU CAN ONLY PUT HIM WHERE HE NEEDS TO BE.


Top
                 

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
Joined: 18 Feb 2002
Posts: 21473
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 06:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


ToxicBug wrote:
Mat Linnett wrote:
Yeah, for all Geoff's bluster, he's a damn good Quaker. I made the mistake of playing him on Q3Tourney2 while I was an HPB (was on ISDN at the time; lol, dead tech). I'd never seen such a good LG before.

But that's enough stroking his ego. He'll get even more insufferable.


I remember there being a lot of talk back in the day, but which regular posters were actually good?

I think Dark Metal and SoM were fun to play with and Amidyfreak was pretty solid, too. [xeno]Julios was good, who else? Menkent I think.

I think there used to be a "competitive gaming" section here, right?


Doomer was pretty good. I can't remember if he was better than Azer.



_________________
Quote:
I WOULDN'T SAY IT WAS MURDER. YOU CAN'T MURDER A CHINAMAN, YOU CAN ONLY PUT HIM WHERE HE NEEDS TO BE.


Top
                 

no homo
no homo
Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 13721
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 07:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Κracus wrote:
In 2000 we had a tournament here and me and ^rec were in the finals and ^rec beat me for the win. Jules is way better than I am though, doomer was too the rest of you were meh. :)

I did however join a tournament here once upon a time. I was obviously the only skilled player in the tournament cause I dominated.

In fact, I destroyed people so bad they made the final match a 10 player free for all on Q3DM18 if I recall correctly. It was a space map meant for I think 6 players and was a complete clusterfuck. I got telefragged several times and wound up getting 2nd place and a big fat nothing even though I would have destroyed the winner in a 1 vs 1 and even though I destroyed every other match on the way there. I was pretty pissed honestly, it was a shit way to finish a tournament and pretty much made the end as random as it could be.


Never happened.



_________________
Thick, solid and tight in all the right places.


Top
                 

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
Joined: 20 Feb 2000
Posts: 13087
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 07:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Pretty sure Dark Metal was pretty good. Pretty sure too.



_________________
[WYD]


Top
                 

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
Joined: 20 Jul 2001
Posts: 11388
PostPosted: 02-24-2015 11:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


scared? wrote:
I also played without a monitor... :olo: ...


That has merit :up:



_________________
Hit my WWW and make the world spin :D


Top
                 

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
Joined: 20 Dec 2014
Posts: 1184
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 12:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Κracus wrote:
In 2000 we had a tournament here and me and ^rec were in the finals and ^rec beat me for the win. Jules is way better than I am though, doomer was too the rest of you were meh. :)

I did however join a tournament here once upon a time. I was obviously the only skilled player in the tournament cause I dominated.

In fact, I destroyed people so bad they made the final match a 10 player free for all on Q3DM18 if I recall correctly. It was a space map meant for I think 6 players and was a complete clusterfuck. I got telefragged several times and wound up getting 2nd place and a big fat nothing even though I would have destroyed the winner in a 1 vs 1 and even though I destroyed every other match on the way there. I was pretty pissed honestly, it was a shit way to finish a tournament and pretty much made the end as random as it could be.


Your insecurity is palpable.




Top
                 

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
Joined: 20 Dec 2014
Posts: 1184
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 12:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


feedback wrote:

gunbound?

[gook (musical note)]


Haha shit I completely forgot about that game. That whole era was my favourite time on the Internet. Gunbound was fucking brilliant.




Top
                 

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
Joined: 18 Feb 2002
Posts: 21473
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 12:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


ns miss
heng
nice shot you fucking slant-eye

also, the sweet little boy whose father was a policeman :olo:



_________________
Quote:
I WOULDN'T SAY IT WAS MURDER. YOU CAN'T MURDER A CHINAMAN, YOU CAN ONLY PUT HIM WHERE HE NEEDS TO BE.


Top
                 

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
Joined: 20 Dec 2014
Posts: 1184
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 05:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


:olo:

Wa ser!!! 3 kills? is possible???




Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 5044
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 06:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


syp0s wrote:

Your insecurity is palpable.


Yeah, and not at all projection on your part. :up:




Top
                 

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
Joined: 18 Feb 2002
Posts: 21473
PostPosted: 02-25-2015 06:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


@@"~~~

can dream


can dream...



_________________
Quote:
I WOULDN'T SAY IT WAS MURDER. YOU CAN'T MURDER A CHINAMAN, YOU CAN ONLY PUT HIM WHERE HE NEEDS TO BE.


Top
                 
Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion


Post new topic Reply to topic


cron
Quake3World.com
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group