Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Fun with Tasker (phone nerdage)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Fun with Tasker (phone nerdage)

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-19-2015 03:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So i recently discovered Tasker, anyone familiar with it? It's an app for Android that allows you to teach your phone 'if this then that (unless this)' commands. Doesn't have to be a rooted phone either, though apparently it helps with the more complex commands. Oh the fun i'm having with it! I seriously for reals spent about 5 hours messing around with it last night, this is some seriously hardcore nerd shit i tell you.

The first thing i did was tell my phone that being turned upside down means being quiet (a standard feature on newer phones, i know). Then i made a more fun one; if i plug in my headphones and no mic is detected it now automatically boots up Soundcloud, which is my standard music player. But the one i'm most proud of so far is 'if home wifi network detected, drop security' which is just awesome ain't it? God, that one took me like 2 hours, kept fucking it up... but now it's glorious. Maybe i'll do something to boost my recharge speed next, like 'if charging detected, drop wifi and 3g and 4g and close all apps' or someshit. Haven't quite figured that one out yet :)

I'm pretty sure the possibilities with this app are endless (not sure though). It costs a few bucks but man, it's like the coolest app ever... it can do loads of stuff with NFC too, like if you put one of those little stickers someplace you can tell your phone to engage in all kinds of weird behaviour. Gotta look into that too...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-19-2015 04:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My phone can send text messages!

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-19-2015 04:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's cool bro, but with Tasker you can set your phone to send an automated text message to your wife when you leave your work wifi network which says 'baby i'm coming home, cook my food and fetch my beer'. I mean, if you were so inclined.

I'm planning to get a Google Nest in my next house coupled with Philips Hue lights, i'm totally gonna figure some shit out where my house starts heating up when i leave work and all the lights go crazy for two seconds after i enter the house.*

* my girl will probably murder me in my sleep if i do this.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-19-2015 07:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pretty sure Google Now can do that out of the box

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-19-2015 07:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also, get a thermostat made after 1953.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-19-2015 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
pretty sure Google Now can do that our of the box

Oh? I've not messed around much with Google Now but would be interested to know how...

And you're advising against the Nest? I'm mostly interested in it because it can communicate with the Hue lights (which i shall definitely be getting), any particular reasons i should be looking at something else? Is it a bad machine that will make me feel bad for buying one? I know they're overpriced, but my opinion on that is 'whatever it looks cool'.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-19-2015 09:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

An app to make Android even more insufferably complex and battery draining. I'm sold.

Actually, I did mess around with Tasker when I briefly had an Android phone, and half the things I set up soon become an irritation.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-19-2015 03:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol android phones.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-19-2015 04:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tasker is the shit, i'm using it along another plugin, that allows me to set up voice commands to control all kinds of crap while I'm riding my bike, through my helmet's headset... highly recommended :up:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-19-2015 07:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only ppl still using iPhones are kids and morons who think they are rich... :olo: ...

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-19-2015 07:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
Only ppl still using iPhones are kids and morons who think they are rich... :olo: ...

Or people who hate playing computer janitor on something thats supposed to be a phone. :tard:

Doombrain wrote:
Lol android phones.

Yeah. Pretty much. Hate to admit it.

6+ spoils me, the camera, god the camera. :drool:
And that battery. :drool:

Tasker was dope as fuck though. Having shit set via locations and wifi networks and shit. Just being able to flip settings around and what not all automated is pretty awesome. More so when you're struggling for battery life on a long day.

Ryoki wrote:
MKJ wrote:
pretty sure Google Now can do that our of the box

Oh? I've not messed around much with Google Now but would be interested to know how...

And you're advising against the Nest? I'm mostly interested in it because it can communicate with the Hue lights (which i shall definitely be getting), any particular reasons i should be looking at something else? Is it a bad machine that will make me feel bad for buying one? I know they're overpriced, but my opinion on that is 'whatever it looks cool'.

I'm about to just buy one for my apartment myself and move it when we move. Then again, I always have perfect luck with everything google. Except my Galaxy Nexus, Because fuck that phone. Worst case you swap in your old one and return it. Ugh I dunno. This is exactly why I havent pulled the trigger either. My current one works fine, and really I dont wanna do all the extra bonus features here.

Theres also some security shit that can interface with it I think. Door things and what not.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-19-2015 08:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Red font moron and pink font dipshit should have a pretentious douche-off battle... :olo: ...

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-19-2015 08:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
Red font moron and pink font dipshit should have a pretentious douche-off battle... :olo: ...

:alert: Liking nice things is pretentious. News at 11 :alert:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-20-2015 01:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

An Android vs iPhone thread. Say it isn't so!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-20-2015 04:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

here we go again

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-20-2015 05:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

I thought this was a Quake 3 forum? :ducky:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 03-20-2015 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

android should buy that app and build it in no?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-20-2015 09:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

Hardly. Both have a place.

One you have to janitor more than the other. Big deal.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-20-2015 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sitting in the apple store ATM... Worst customer service ever... 1 hour after apt time guy finally walks up... Pathetic... Also... Everyone here looks and acts like total dipshits...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-20-2015 10:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You'll fit right in...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-20-2015 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
Sitting in the apple store ATM... Worst customer service ever... 1 hour after apt time guy finally walks up... Pathetic... Also... Everyone here looks and acts like total dipshits...

congrats on getting a job interview though!

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-20-2015 01:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:

You waited an hour? Only losers do that. :olo:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-22-2015 03:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:

Finally upgrading to a 5C? You'll love it - much faster than a 3GS.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-22-2015 06:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually pooron, my wife was getting a new phone cuz her crappy 3 day old 6+ screen cracked after being dropped from a chair on to a wood floor... Apple Care+ $80... Lol pathetic....

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 03-22-2015 08:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've dropped my 6+ more than any other of my previous phones combined. Can't seem to get use to the size.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-22-2015 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's cuz ur an insignificant tiny fanboi....

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 03-22-2015 12:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
my wife...

:olo:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-22-2015 03:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The llama is seething with anger today... :olo: ...

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 03-22-2015 04:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What about Shamu though?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-23-2015 01:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Eraser wrote:

Hardly. Both have a place.

One you have to janitor more than the other. Big deal.

lol, I'm sure it's a huge deal to fucking try-hard nerds like yourself :olo:

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-25-2015 12:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

lol, I'm sure it's a huge deal to fucking try-hard nerds like yourself :olo:

Quite the opposite actually sir. Thats why I carry an apple phone now. I never worry about it. I carry an iPhone so I dont have to be a "try-hard nerd" or whatever you think I am. I don't enjoy figuring out why my battery died in 30 min, or why X app no longer can figure out how to load. Totally sucks going to make a phone call and having 3% battery left when the last time you looked at it, it was over 90% and that was 45 min ago.

Then again I am explaining why I carry an apple phone on the internet. SO maybe I am a try-hard. Either way I'm happier now. Sucks you're so angsty you lash out about it. :rolleyes:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-25-2015 05:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My Android phone is 3 fucking years old and the battery lasts for nearly 2 days. Did I get lucky or something?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-25-2015 06:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
My Android phone is 3 fucking years old and the battery lasts for nearly 2 days. Did I get lucky or something?

Not really. My G3 could easily get me through a weekend on a normal weekend. But once in a while, when I least expect it. Google services will decide its framework needs an update, it updates, but theres some wakelock bug that sticks your CPU cycles at 100% until your battery dies.

It wasnt something that happens daily, weekly, but it happened enough across MOST of my android devices (Most being key word here), that it was annoying. Nothing like starting a traveling trip with 100% battery, 99% when you get on the plane and power it off/airplane mode. 95% when you get off the plane, then after the cab ride to somewhere you're at 10%.

Now. With all of that said, I could be super OCD and janitor my phone every 30 seconds and could have caught it before it murdered my battery every time. But fuck that. I dont wanna think about it. :olo:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-25-2015 07:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My office is filled with retards running around on a daily basis trying to find some kind of proprietary Apple-only charger cable so that their $800 bricks don't die before noon. Must suck being too dumb to own a phone that can stay on for more than a day.

lol u mad?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-25-2015 08:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Obviously not mad. If you learn to read you'll see my G3 could easily get through a weekend on a regular basis. I'm just happier that it no longer wake locks and murders my battery at random :)

Glad you're happy though :) You should smoke a bowl and relax, you seem tense.

I will say. As far as cameras and shit go. Without a doubt the iPhones is the best. Beyond tech specs, Just using it as a camera to take a photo is way better than any android phone to date I've owned or used on a regular basis. Not saying they were unusable pieces of shit or anything, But far more photos come out clear on my iPhone than anything else thus far. I guess one could say the software is better in that area, because even third party camera apps kinda suck balls on android. Its a shame really, the G3 has a fantastic lenses, as does other phones. Samsungs about got it right though. Well, at least with the camera.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.