Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        DOOM E3 2015 trailer sneak preview

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: DOOM E3 2015 trailer sneak preview

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We're holding our breath here

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
Eraser wrote:
Watch a bunch of noobs play Doom multiplayer:
https://youtu.be/0-kfIrneQWE?t=3189

that was painful to watch

yep

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 05:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been playing it for about an hour now....

honestly as painful as those people where to watch, that's a GOOD player it seems.

The FOV is locked to What seems like 70º, The input has lag and it smoothed over, There isnt much you can change in terms of video settings and mine looks washed out and kinda terrible ( 1080P @ 60 FPS for those console boyz! )

All in all, I'll give this a little more of a go... But i think I'm going to return my pre-order.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 06:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
if there isn't an obnoxious MP achievement grind.

There is.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 07:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a brief play. It definitely has some input lag and the default mouse speed is laughably slow, I could barely turn around corners let alone shoot anything. Controls feel floaty. Some of the weapons seem kind of nerfed, I'm not sure what the lightning gun is good at, and the vortex rifle shoots like a rail gun but doesn't do rail gun damage. Demon rune is kind of fun when you grab one. FOV is annoying.

It feels okay for a casual game, but I don't think I'll play it with any kind of lasting value. Feels like a console game.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 09:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

God damn it. Catering to the console crowd again. I bet we have Bethesda to thank for this.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-02-2016 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like black ops 3 is better...

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 04-02-2016 05:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
I had a brief play. It definitely has some input lag and the default mouse speed is laughably slow, I could barely turn around corners let alone shoot anything. Controls feel floaty. Some of the weapons seem kind of nerfed, I'm not sure what the lightning gun is good at, and the vortex rifle shoots like a rail gun but doesn't do rail gun damage. Demon rune is kind of fun when you grab one. FOV is annoying.

It feels okay for a casual game, but I don't think I'll play it with any kind of lasting value. Feels like a console game.

You gotta zoom in and charge the vortex rifle for max damage. I usually use the static rifle instead. Fire off your charged shot then switch to another weapon to finish the man off. The lg is actually rly good, i think it does 8dmg a tick. My fav is prob rocket/shotgun combo. You can skip the long ass reload a bit with the shotgun by switching weapons after shooting, at least it seems that way.

If they let you change directions with your double jump the movement would be way better.

I haven't had any mouse issues but i heard some peeps had similar problems. You can add +set g_fov to launch options to change fov but i didnt really notice a diffy after changing it to 100

It's obvi that they attempted to streamline and help familiarize a new audience with the concepts of arena shooters. It still takes plenty of skill and is rly fun. Just cuz it ain't no q3, you shouldn't let it stop you from trying. The more i play the more i enjoy it.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-02-2016 06:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meanwhile, I can set fov to 120... Total movement control... Trick everything.... Etc etc with a real man's game blops3...

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 04-02-2016 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

minus one nut

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-02-2016 06:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's pretty fun. The pace is fast enough for an aging quake player. Seems unfinished, but it's only a beta.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-02-2016 07:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No rocket jumping? Lol wtf...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-02-2016 12:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Returned it.

It's terrible, seriously.

Another gripe, why the hell can't we put keys 1 2 and 3 for wepon choices again? Mouse wheel then q is the only option?

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 04-02-2016 01:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why would you need more than 1 key to switch between 2 weapons it doesn't make sense

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-02-2016 02:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-02-2016 07:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
You gotta zoom in and charge the vortex rifle for max damage. I usually use the static rifle instead. Fire off your charged shot then switch to another weapon to finish the man off.

Oooooohhhhhh....

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-02-2016 09:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
Why would you need more than 1 key to switch between 2 weapons it doesn't make sense

Also curious as to what it is exactly that he "returned", then.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-03-2016 03:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, beta, morons.
Oh no I can't tweak every aspect of the game through menus. Newsflash : they're testing the server loads and gameplay balance, not player UI.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-03-2016 04:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 04-03-2016 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been enjoying it.
Different feel than q3, but that's a sign of the times. I also realized that older age has caught up with me as I am consistently one of the worst players in every match..
Not sure that I like the melee - in q3 part of the skill was circle-strafing in close distance while hopping rockets and out targeting your opponent. Now it feels like if you close the distance they can just grab you and smash you; I find myself engaging further out to avoid it.
lot of fun for a beta and i recall the old days when q3 had the beta test and we were all hopping around longest yards - nostalgia.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-03-2016 08:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Also, beta, morons.
Oh no I can't tweak every aspect of the game through menus. Newsflash : they're testing the server loads and gameplay balance, not player UI.

Menu disavled, Console removed, all commands involving UI are locked out and not allowed to be changed..... It's a console port if you want me to be more specific.

Word is, they're not going to change those facts because they want it to be cross platform for multiplayer again.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-04-2016 10:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-04-2016 11:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah melee is an overpowered shitshow. it's like halo in that aspect

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-04-2016 03:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/04/04/theres-something-not-quite-right-about-the-new-doom

Spot on... My god so spot on.

Even though I'm clearly angry about it, and I've returned my pre-order I honestly hope it changes for the better...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-05-2016 12:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

to be fair Halo's melee only worked if you suckerpunched someone. Otherwise you'd leave yourself wide open for a shotgunblast in the face.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 04-05-2016 03:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They have to be low hp and flashing to melee kill. I don't care for it much, but it didn't seem OP.

The revenant is a powerup you control like quad. Same with the gauss rifle. They're supposed to be OP

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-06-2016 07:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Somehow I can't see people playing this twenty years down the line.

Oh, and they've just announced a Season Pass too.

When do you think they'll release the source code for this then?

redline
redline
PostPosted: 04-06-2016 09:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So the game is not very good? How's the single player campaign?

Also, does anyone know if it supports triple-monitor well?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-06-2016 09:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

By the looks of it as well as player reviews, Doom is turning out to be a sluggish console port with all the crappy up charges for future play. I also have three monitors.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-06-2016 10:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Somehow I can't see people playing this twenty years down the line.

Oh, and they've just announced a Season Pass too.

When do you think they'll release the source code for this then?

Quote:
One new weapon

Annnnnnnnnnnndddddddddd I am out

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-06-2016 10:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yup, sorry I didn't clarify, but that Season Pass, as Donny has obviously discovered... well, it's for fucking multiplayer content.
Yay for splitting the userbase! Way to go Bethesda!

Fucking morons.

If I ever buy this, it's going to be in a Steam sale when I can get it for a couple of quid at the most.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 04-06-2016 04:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unfortunately I think that we are in the minority in terms of customer base - most of the people purchasing FPS-genre games are used to this new style, for better or for worse. Competitive FPS market analogous to Quake3 is a niche market... they made the game that will sell the most to the current market which is also a 3 month life-cycle until the majority of the user base moves on to the next game.. these days games are like movie releases - money grab for the opening week then few more weeks of play and on to the next release. The old days are gone, in my opinion.

But I will purchase this game when it comes out in the hope that they tweak it and enjoy what I can. The Beta made it clear that I'm not any good at these games anymore so I'll sit in my rocking chair and enjoy the nostalgia of it for the few weeks people are playing it.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-06-2016 06:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Guess what dipshits? Black ops 3 is the new quake and it plays great... It's time to grow up and move on...

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-06-2016 08:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm only buying this for the SP campaign and i'll wait to see what reviews say before i buy, but for you MP guys; remember that with the map editor and its gametype editing ability, someone will make a non-loadout fast movement gametype *finger crossed*

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 04-07-2016 03:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mr. Frustrated wrote:
Unfortunately I think that we are in the minority in terms of customer base - most of the people purchasing FPS-genre games are used to this new style, for better or for worse. Competitive FPS market analogous to Quake3 is a niche market... they made the game that will sell the most to the current market which is also a 3 month life-cycle until the majority of the user base moves on to the next game.. these days games are like movie releases - money grab for the opening week then few more weeks of play and on to the next release. The old days are gone, in my opinion.

But I will purchase this game when it comes out in the hope that they tweak it and enjoy what I can. The Beta made it clear that I'm not any good at these games anymore so I'll sit in my rocking chair and enjoy the nostalgia of it for the few weeks people are playing it.

You right, it's an established business model and there's too many games fighting for people's time. At the very least DLC keeps peeps playing a bit longer, and the devs get compensated for putting more work into the game.

That said, even though it makes business sense, as consumers we don't gotta like it. I bought titanfall DLC and hardly anybody played that shit.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.