Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        DOOM E3 2015 trailer sneak preview

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: DOOM E3 2015 trailer sneak preview

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 01:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uh, you said Reflex, which is a game that's brush based.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 01:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maps made for PC will work on PS4 and Xbone....and vice versa

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 02:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Uh, you said Reflex, which is a game that's brush based.

I was referring to the ingame mp editings, eg Forge.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 03:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"What if the possibilities are limited only by your imagination..."

What a great quote by someone who has created a game which features such original content as an infinite spawn mode, four player deathmatch, and the ability to upgrade weapons.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 03:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He's talking about in context of creating your own content beyond that... :dork:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
He's talking about in context of creating your own content beyond that... :dork:

Kracus, you are a dumb as shit IT lackey, trust me that if you figured that out, so had I.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You could take the opportunity to clarify your statement instead of just criticizing my ability to think. You should also note, I'm not even english pal.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's rather telling that you don't know what he means Kracus. It should be fairly obvious that he thinks it's ironic for someone to state "creativity is your only limitation" while creating the most uncreative and uninspiring game modes in his own game at the same time.

To drive this thing home, Kracus, let me help you understand that the point here is that if this ("infinite spawn mode, four player deathmatch, and the ability to upgrade weapons") is what id Software comes up with, their creativity must be seriously stifled.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see, I understood both comments as separate from one another and using one to correlate both was incorrect.

That said I still feel like it's premature to judge id's creativity seeing as all we've seen of the game are a few videos which discuss a few features. I also feel like when a dev develops a game with a blank canvas style ability to create your own content that they would have had to think of that content to begin with. Even though it's not already explicitly created I'm sure the people who thought up of the ways you can create things would have thought up game types which won't be included in the initial release.

It's a bit like criticizing a paint manufacturer for not making the mona lisa. As creative and flexible as their medium is they're giving the creativity to the artist. It's a tool meant to enable others, not the art itself.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
It's a bit like criticizing a paint manufacturer for not making the mona lisa. As creative and flexible as their medium is they're giving the creativity to the artist. It's a tool meant to enable others, not the art itself.

That's not a fair comparison. An oil paint manufacturer won't take a sheet of paper, paint it entirely red and say "Look at what I made! The only limit is your imagination". Sure, id Software created the tools (like the paint manufacturer), but they also painted a painting. And that painting (or at least the piece we've seen of it) isn't all that impressive, especially not because id Software once were regarded as the Picasso's and Van Gogh's of the games industry.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well selling a stand alone game engine is a pretty hard sell. Besides, like I mentioned the game isn't out yet. I suspect there will be more game modes than mentioned in that video.

It's going to be pretty easy for them honestly. Just do a decent round of beta testing and then hire the people who create the most popular content and add it in at release.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
It's rather telling that you don't know what he means Kracus. It should be fairly obvious that he thinks it's ironic for someone to state "creativity is your only limitation" while creating the most uncreative and uninspiring game modes in his own game at the same time.

To drive this thing home, Kracus, let me help you understand that the point here is that if this ("infinite spawn mode, four player deathmatch, and the ability to upgrade weapons") is what id Software comes up with, their creativity must be seriously stifled.

We've been asking them to go old school and now they have, they are being lambasted about a lack of original features and what not. They can't win

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 04:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I get that feeling too but after RAGE I can't say I blame them... I was pretty dissapointed in that game despite how nice it looked.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 05:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Just occurred to me that the weapon change slow down is absolutely a product of 'consolefication' and sort if makes sense for a control pad. It should be am option you can turn off for the PC, though. We have more buttons than a console, we don't need the slow down stuff. WE AER L33T

Yes. There's another element that helps hide a gamepads shortcomings for FPS: The takedowns can be performed without aiming.

I actually think they are on a good way here as they seem to be trying an alternative to the duck-and-cover approach most current fps adapt in order to be playable on a console.
Here, they seem to allow for more vertical movement and aiming (something the gamepad is horrible at). I guess the two slowdown mechanisms make this somehow possible.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 06:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The gameplay so far still looks a lot like a corridor shooter on rails (granted, they didn't show very much and I doubt this is a final game level). Doom has some pretty open levels with lots of maze-like layouts giving the player choice on which areas to explore.

Lighting looks fantastic though. LOL... is that double jumping?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 07:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
In a post-showcase interview, Id Software exec producer Marty Stratton said that the first part shown from the next Doom was from the second level of the game and Hell level was from about halfway through. Doom is about “speed, awesome guns and killing demons,” Stratton said.

Stratton mentioned a double-jump mechanic and says that mantling over objects is fast. When talking about the style of play, he characterized it as push-forward combat. There’s no cover and little backpedaling “We didn’t want the player to feel on their heels at all.”

When asked, the executive producer answered that Id is aiming at 1080p 60 FPS for Doom and players will be able to carry all weapons with you. You also get health from killing enemies, so if you’re low on health, kill more enemies. Those gruesome finishing move animations seen in tonight’s footage are contextual and get triggered based on where the player is looking.

Players will be able to play as “one of a few different demons” in multiplayer by picking up a special rune and the SnapMaps system will support the creation of single-player, co-op and multiplayer scenarios.

"Doom is about speed". Strange 'cause the player movement looks slower than HL1's tbh :offended:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The game looks great.. U guys are obvious morons who suck at shooters... Yes I said it twice... U lose twice....

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 08:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just to repeat a question i posted in the LEM thread on this: why do game developers of all people think that the key to encouraging creativity is to make it as easy and convenient as possible?

also, lol double-jumping. welcome to UT2004

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 09:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Because of longevity. If you make a good game but you can't add anything to it people will love it for a short while. If that same game has a simple way of adding content to it by the community it becomes entrenched and lasts generations.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

By making it simple tho you tend to make it standardised, there's only so many different ways you can arrange the tools your given. Does this put off people that are willing to get their hands dirtier in the building process ?, I doubt it, so long as they keep it so that it can be modded beyond the tools your given.

I like the look of it too, people moan about making a FPS without the 'wool' and when we get a sniff of one everyone accuses id of losing creativity :D. We'll see though.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 09:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's true, I don't know how well it'll work. Last time I built levels in one of their games was in Quake 3 and I wouldn't say it was super simple for the average user.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-15-2015 09:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Because of longevity. If you make a good game but you can't add anything to it people will love it for a short while. If that same game has a simple way of adding content to it by the community it becomes entrenched and lasts generations.

a simple way of adding content means the truly creative people will get bored very quickly and move on, leaving things in the hands of monkeys, who'll produce uninteresting levels that no one will play. there needs to be a challenge, or creative people won't be interested. this is why Q3 level building is still going after 15 years: the tools are fiddly, bug-ridden and crash-prone, and you have to make everything yourself

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-16-2015 07:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They really need more animations for the finishers and they should be way faster. I got sick of them before the demo even finished.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-16-2015 08:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ also this. no one's got time for that shit

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-16-2015 09:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I meant with the game breaking up the action all the time.
But hey, Brutal Doom, right.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-16-2015 10:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i havnt been a gamer in a while so i dont know how much my opinion matters.

the visual seems fine.

does the action seem casual or am i seeing somthing wrong?

i like games where its just so fucking hard/imposable you just die die die

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-16-2015 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
They really need more animations for the finishers and they should be way faster. I got sick of them before the demo even finished.

Aye I noticed that too, I hate non interrupt animations cos it breaks up gameplay, in MP it's just plain annoying and in DOOM it just doesn't seem right. Jus have it so you can punch a guys head off, simple. If you got a 15 hr game then it doesn't matter how good you make the animation you're gonna get bored of it. Mass Effect 3 did it pretty good tho to be fair (fuck EA)

Hoards of monsters, tons of guns and no interuptions plz

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 06-18-2015 09:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just a bunch of bullshit. Remember how the Doom 3 E3 review looked? Terrifying and engrossing. Then the final product. And this trailer looks just average. Guy moves like a boat down a river.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-18-2015 09:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silence blasphemer, Doom 3 was fantastic.

PostPosted: 06-19-2015 02:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:

My main complaints about Doom 3 were 1: predictable monster closets and 2: your camera gets buttfucked every time you take a hit. Missing constantly with the shotgun because of that shit and not because of aiming skill was fucking annoying.

It was a good game with great atmosphere, but it wasn't what it was shown to be. Remember this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28mn_fJlmbo ?

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-19-2015 02:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Remember this?

Just watched the new Deus Ex gameplay trailer: Looks almost the same; Just a few more polygons and more detailled bumpmaps. :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-19-2015 04:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:

Remember this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28mn_fJlmbo ?

It actually looks a lot shittier than I remember it. I don't mean graphically, but compared to the final game, the E3 demo looks incredibly unpolished.
Because of this video, I've been watching a bit of Doom 3 gameplay and that game still looks pretty damn awesome. For a game that's almost 11 years old, that's a huge credit to id Software's talent.

OK! I just went ahead and bought the Doom 3 BFG edition. Played the new "Lost Mission" for a bit and fuck all you nay sayers. This game is still bloody awesome.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-19-2015 05:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

by the by...

That looks pretty frickin' sweet if you ask me.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-19-2015 05:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, I see nothing wrong there. If the controls are as tight as they look it's gonna be a pretty fucking sweet arena shooter.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-19-2015 05:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the Doom single player E3 demo may look a bit slower than it really is because of the camera movements. It looks like it was played with a controller with a very low sensitivity setting because all the movements were so slow and so smooth. I think if you'd see someone play this with a mouse you'd get a much faster and more visceral feeling from it. I think they did it this way because it's more relaxing to look at rather than the jerky movements of mouse/keyboard. I'd even wager there's a good chance the movement speed of the player is faster in the final game than it is in this demo.

Also, after seeing the 2002 E3 demo of Doom 3 again, I feel that the 2015 demo is not unlike that demo. It feels like a few cobbled together ideas that they wanted to show off. It's obviously not a level that's going to be an integral part of the final game, so there's a good chance it's been built specifically for this demonstration. In the end of both demos, the player gets killed and torn apart by a monster. Considering how Doom 3 is much more polished than the E3 demo was, I can only imagine that the Doom game that will be released is a lot more polished and interesting to play than this demo.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.