Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Formula E

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Formula E

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-20-2015 02:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unbeknown to some of you, perhaps, there's a new rival of sorts to Formula 1. Not so much a rival, as an alternative energy type. The E in Formula E is for Electric. One of the drivers said on the Moscow E Prix weekend that the cars technology is increasing all the time so they are getting faster all the time; in 5 years time they will be as fast as Formula 1.

They had to drive one of those cars through London at night and have no-one complain to find that they were quiet enough. The races take place on city circuits with road tyres, all very quietly. There is music played during TV action replays. Saw The Moscow E Prix last weekend. Missed the other ones this year. This is the first year there's been a Moscow one.

Next Saturday is the London E Prix and - presumeably as part of some promotion - Boris Johnson is going to drive a Formula E car - not in a race, of course. The races are all very serious, with experts that have moved over from Formula 1. There's a Chinese team, teams from all over the world, India are in Formula 1; also in Formula E. Virgin are in it, they have their own team.

The previous races of this year, are all available to watch on the official site: http://www.fiaformulae.com/ and they say you can watch live races on there, too. When you go to the page to watch, (probably after you select your country) it has a countdown to the next race. Below that are the previous race videos to select :cool: :up: I just watched the video of the Monaco E Prix today. Natalie Umbruglia was there!

Those things are so freaking quick, and so quiet. You can hear them riding the curbs.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-20-2015 06:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They may actually be fast but because you can't hear them they look like they're just coasting around :D.

edit: lol, battery change at 23:55?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 06-21-2015 12:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck off DTS, everyone knows. It's called advertising.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 06-21-2015 03:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:dts:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-21-2015 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

Fuck off Doombrain, everyone knows about the ZX Spectrum, it's called advertising, no need to put it as your icon :offended: The old saying on Q3W is:

"If it hasn't been posted on Q3W before then it's new. New to Q3W. That's new enough for Q3W." - Not a direct quote, but that's the meaning.

tl;dr: It hasn't been posted here before, so fuck off yourself and take your lameass icon with you. :rolleyes:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-21-2015 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Speaking of the Spectrum

Quote:
The Sinclair Spectrum Vega is a new low cost games computer based on Sir Clive’s hugely successful Spectrum products of the early 1980s.

The Sinclair Spectrum Vega takes advantage of major advances in technology to achieve big cost savings by replacing most of the electronics in the earlier computer products. Instead the Vega uses a low cost micro-controller and a clever piece of software that combine to enable the Vega to run all of the games, 14,000 or more of them, which were developed during the years when some 5 million of the original Sinclair Spectrum were being sold.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sinc ... ega#/story

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 06-21-2015 07:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

Fuck off Doombrain, everyone knows about the ZX Spectrum, it's called advertising, no need to put it as your icon :offended: The old saying on Q3W is:

"If it hasn't been posted on Q3W before then it's new. New to Q3W. That's new enough for Q3W." - Not a direct quote, but that's the meaning.

tl;dr: It hasn't been posted here before, so fuck off yourself and take your lameass icon with you. :rolleyes:

Tl;dr

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-21-2015 11:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

C'mon, I know DTS is a bit of a moron, but this is one of his few valid posts.
I'm not really into Formula 1 racing (or anything racing related on 4 wheels) and while I had heard of plans for Formula E, I didn't know they actually already had a championship for it.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-22-2015 12:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I saw the Nissan Leaf Nismo race a few months back. Like Dulltron said it's really weird to see these monsters race and all you hear is the creaking of the tires.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-22-2015 01:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched 3 minutes of footage on the youtubes, god it's boring isn't it. Then again i find regular car racing tremendously boring too - at least this is good for the environment and all that. So i guess i approve.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-22-2015 01:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
at least this is good for the environment and all that.

It's less bad for the environment ;)

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-22-2015 01:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was wide awake when I watched that video, now I feel like I've been mainlining diazepam.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-22-2015 02:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You'll feel like that with any racing sport you aren't into. I mean, watching Formula 1 is equally boring for me as well, mostly because I don't who's who, what's happening in the championship or how significant the overtake of one car over another is.

If the competition's good and you're following the entire championship season, I'm sure it's exciting to watch.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-22-2015 03:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Ryoki wrote:
at least this is good for the environment and all that.

It's less bad for the environment ;)

less bad than your car, anyway

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 06-22-2015 04:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
You'll feel like that with any racing sport you aren't into. I mean, watching Formula 1 is equally boring for me as well, mostly because I don't who's who, what's happening in the championship or how significant the overtake of one car over another is.

If the competition's good and you're following the entire championship season, I'm sure it's exciting to watch.

I reckon Formula 1, along with Baseball, can be objectively viewed as boring. I doubt many fans of either would deny it in secret.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-22-2015 05:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

I've found that when I've been playing Gran Turismo I can relate to the whole racing experience more, so that's how I get into it. Also, the commentary has a significant effect on how interesting the race is to watch. The commentary I heard for the Formula E races I watched kept my interest.

You're more of a cyclist, aren't you, Eraser? So maybe the Tour de France is more up your alley.

Edit: I'd recommend a Triathlon over the Tour de France, cause that's more like a race. You know Formula 1 drivers do Triathlon? It's part of their fitness training :cool:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-22-2015 06:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You've been reading the Top Gear thread haven't you? What's up with everyone. I state I ride 7km to my work on my bike, just as a fact and Doombrain starts laughing (out loud) and you think I'm a cyclist.

I think the Tour de France is boring as hell. If you've payed attention, you'd know that the only sports I watch is MotoGP.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 06-26-2015 02:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

C'mon, I know DTS is a bit of a moron, but this is one of his few valid posts.
I'm not really into Formula 1 racing (or anything racing related on 4 wheels) and while I had heard of plans for Formula E, I didn't know they actually already had a championship for it.

Might be a local thing but this has been getting a fair bit of coverage in the UK.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 06-26-2015 02:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TDF needs more drugs before it becomes interesting again.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-26-2015 03:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree. It would be interesting to create a Tour de Dope, with teams sponsored by pharmaceutical companies and drug cartels. You'd have to organize the race to take place in some godforsaken lawless territory like, i don't know, the Somalian countryside or Afghanistan or something - which would be an interesting change of scenery too.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-27-2015 03:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or Texas.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.