Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Overwatch

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Overwatch

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 10-29-2015 11:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did anyone make it into the beta? Is it fun? It looks fun.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 12:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heard it's pretty skilless

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 01:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So pretty much like every other Blizzard game then.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 02:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I signed up for the beta but haven't got a key so far. I must admit that from what they've shown so far, I'm not mightily impressed yet. Seems too much like a MOBA in first person view, where your character's ability set is more important than your own skills.

PostPosted: 10-30-2015 04:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:

Ah exactly this. Like it's about remembering "oh that guy can teleport" rather than actually being good at mechanics.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 04:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks shiny and fast and totally aimed at the console plebeians (not played, just watched on twitch)

also, can't get past that margaret thatcher-sounding character "raining down justice from above" :dts:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 07:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why haven't any of you make the obvious comparison to tf2?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 07:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched some twitch game play and the first thing I thought was total TF2 ripoff.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:

Yeah SC2 takes zero skill :rolleyes:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 04:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q. Why did the console peasant cross the road?

A. To render the other side

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 10-30-2015 04:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're really cracking yourself up.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-04-2015 07:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will dominate this game...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-08-2015 02:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh this

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 11-08-2015 03:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Like it's about remembering "oh that guy can teleport" rather than actually being good at mechanics.

Have you played one of the MOBA games like LOL or DOTA?

You are right about these games requiring the players to know how each character plays - and what the counterplays are. And I don't see why this should be a bad thing.
But then they require some mechanical skills as well as team coordination and knowledge of more general strategies and phases of the game.
And lastly the difference between the heroes allows for an ongoing meta game where dominant strategies change from time to time.

Of course there are times when certain heroes are overpowered and all the morons get a chance to be little whiny babies again. But if the dev team is good this does not happen a lot.

I guess Blizzard will handle this pretty good.

I think these games are a great genre as far as competetive games go: They require a great deal of skill from the players while being also watchable by players with less expertise. A former girlfriend of mine actually watches the LOL world series despite being utterly shit at the game.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 11-09-2015 12:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Seems too much like a MOBA in first person view, where your character's ability set is more important than your own skills.

Pext is bang on IMO [great comment btw], if they get hero balance close enough, I'm sure it'll be good enough for a laugh at least.

shaft wrote:
why haven't any of you make the obvious comparison to tf2?

I've seen the comparison being made, but I've actually never played TF2 so didn't feel qualified to say anything about it myself.

ToxicBug wrote:
Yeah SC2 takes zero skill :rolleyes:

Was a flippant tongue in cheek comment, not meant seriously.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-09-2015 12:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

remember when this was f2p?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 11-09-2015 12:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't. Was it ever? I don't think they announced a payment model until Blizzcon a few days ago. I'm surprised they didn't go the freemium route tbh.

PostPosted: 11-09-2015 01:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
feedback wrote:
Like it's about remembering "oh that guy can teleport" rather than actually being good at mechanics.

Have you played one of the MOBA games like LOL or DOTA?

You are right about these games requiring the players to know how each character plays - and what the counterplays are. And I don't see why this should be a bad thing.
But then they require some mechanical skills as well as team coordination and knowledge of more general strategies and phases of the game.
And lastly the difference between the heroes allows for an ongoing meta game where dominant strategies change from time to time.

Of course there are times when certain heroes are overpowered and all the morons get a chance to be little whiny babies again. But if the dev team is good this does not happen a lot.

I guess Blizzard will handle this pretty good.

I think these games are a great genre as far as competetive games go: They require a great deal of skill from the players while being also watchable by players with less expertise. A former girlfriend of mine actually watches the LOL world series despite being utterly shit at the game.

Yeah I've wasted about 2000 hours playing DOTA 2. The problem is that DOTA is not an fps and overwatch isn't designed to be a moba with rpg elements, it's supposed to be an fps. Fps games are supposed to be about mechanical skill, and the person with better mechanical skill should always win a fair fight. DOTA is only partially about mechanics- it's much more complex because it's about economy, last-hitting, etc. It's a much much deeper game with many facets; overwatch can't afford to have shallow mechanics because as an fps that's all it's got.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-09-2015 05:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mechanical skill is just one part of what makes a good FPS gamer. Anyone that thinks it's the end all be all for shooter games is fooling themselves.

I'm absolute shit when it comes to reflexes but if I'm able to predict where you're going to be and when you're going to be there my reflexes are going to look like they're amazing even if they aren't.

When I play shooters, fight games, RTS games I always put myself in my opponents shoes when I play and try to play the mind game over the mechanical one and I win a lot.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-09-2015 07:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have the beta. Blizzard likes me.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-04-2016 06:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a free open beta from 5 to 9 may. I got some key from someone that already gave me access.

The game's very well made, that much is clear, and I had fun playing it. It reminds me more than just a bit of Team Fortress 2. It was easier to get into than I though, although I have to admit I only played games with two of the heroes available. There game goes out of its way to always be concise about what button does what and what is going on.

Still, though, I prefer arena shooters to be about depth rather than breadth. Overwatch is fun, but it does get annoying sometimes when you experience your own complete inability to proactively deal with the special powers opposing heroes have. The powers have a great influence on the game but the game is too fast to devise a plan to deal with a specific situation simply because that situation lasts for about 0.3 seconds. Usually encounters are of the kill or die kind anyway.

I think I'll be playing this a bit more over the coming days.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-04-2016 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ur just new to it is all...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-05-2016 07:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The more I play this game, the more I realize I'm having honest, relatively uncompromized fun. It's something I didn't experience when playing the Doom beta. Everything in Overwatch has a level of playfulness over it that just makes it fun to play, even if you're losing.

I actually preordered the game now. The standard edition is only €40 anyway.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-05-2016 08:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm too busy playing Ark Survival to play anything else atm... fucking game is like crack cocaine.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-05-2016 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Except you never dealt games in the strip clubs right?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-05-2016 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seems fun, I like the movement physics.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-05-2016 12:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
The more I play this game, the more I realize I'm having honest, relatively uncompromized fun. It's something I didn't experience when playing the Doom beta. Everything in Overwatch has a level of playfulness over it that just makes it fun to play, even if you're losing.

I actually preordered the game now. The standard edition is only €40 anyway.

Blizzard still has a long ways to go in balancing the abilities of these heroes.
Mercy is the single most anti-fun hero in the game right now. If your team of mouth breathers decide, as they will, to ignore mercy and focus on porkster or old tin can man, you can make perfect plays that turn the game only for Mercy to be like "lol just kidding. Q" and undo all your work and essentially nullifying every ult your team has used.
Junkrat's ult is basically garbage. All you have to do is sneeze in the direction of the tire and it blows up before it can be triggered to explode. I'm never worried when I hear his ult go off and just shoot it before the guy has a chance to do anything. Other than the ult though, he's pretty lame. You'll find him in every single round spamming nades at objectives. Countless POGs of him just lulzing about and shitting nades around with no real rhyme or reason to it.
Bastion needs to go back to not being able to swivel 360 degrees so he can be flanked. Other than that he seems a tad weak unless he has a tin can man with shield in front of him to give him a bit of protection.
Solider: 76's ult is a big load of steamy bullshit. I play him, yeah, but his ult's a fuckin aimbot. This needs to get an adjustment to have a max number of targets it can lock on to. Maybe adjusted to temporarily eliminate spread on bullets and let you choose one or two targets to lock on to eliminate snipers and the occasional pharah hovering in the air everybody likes to ignore.
Genji's dash has way too long of a CD on it if you don't manage to secure a kill. It needs a second shaved off of it. His ult is pretty garbage being a melee range ult but used with a first-person camera. Reaper goes third-person for zero reason when he ults so why can't Genji go third-person to make it easier to keep track of where the hell people are?
Mei's freeze durations are just a tad short but those ice walls are ridiculous. Her ult can just absolutely nullify a heavily entrenched team sitting on an objective point. She's fun. I almost wish she was able to have an ice shield like a WoW mage or something to give a bit of armor to her just so she can take a little more of a hit from a tracer and some adhd genji bouncing around back and forth. Maybe have it reduce your max ammo capacity in half while the shield is up and you can toggle it off again to have full capacity ammo instead to trade off between spamming frost breath and being a little less squishy.

Hitboxes are fucking whack in this game right now. I've seen too many instances of reinheart doing his charge thing which I'm standing well to the side of only to be picked up and pinned (which is usually insta-death). It's weird as hell to see somebody fly by next to me, don't come even close to colliding, but then get whisked away along with him. Also, I'll have my cursor directly on roadhog's head and it registers as a body shot. The fuck?
There's some sort of weird input lag going on too. I haven't really been able to pin-point what's going on here.
Lag, in general, seems to be a thing. Widowmaker's rifle is supposed to be hit-scan but I can have the cursor directly on a target and it will miss completely. It almost feels like Blizzard is using a p2p hosting system instead of dedicated servers.... Articles report that Blizzard said they were going to use dedicated servers but I don't see anything confirming their actual use.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 05-05-2016 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

kinda reminds me of battlefield heroes

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-06-2016 08:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Played some hours yesterday, its not Q but i had fun playing it.
I will spend some more rounds on this over the weekend, it eases the pain waiting for Doom.
:up:

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 05-07-2016 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It seems to be a game of team tactics, composition and hard counters. Many characters nullify some of the more seemingly op characters abilities

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 05-07-2016 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I put my monkey dome around that stupid cowboy as he hit his ult and hopped away making him useless. You won't see that shit in the play of the game tho, just bastion holding mouse 1 in some corner or hanzo hitting q

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-07-2016 09:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's very little actual team play being done though. This means that if you join up with a friend and make a good character combo, you can determine the entire outcome of the match.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-07-2016 09:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
There's very little actual team play being done though. This means that if you join up with a friend and make a good character combo, you can determine the entire outcome of the match.

True for pretty much every mp mode ey.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-07-2016 10:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well 'tis especially true for a class based game like this because certain combos require a specific counter. If the opposing team isn't smart enough to organize that, they're done for.
With a game like Quake this is less of an issue.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-08-2016 02:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Going to see if I can get a refund on the pre-order.
This game has way too many issues right now with the horrible map design and the incredibly poor balance on the heroes.
I think once the 'new car smell' of the game has worn off for people they'll start to realize how poorly made this game is.
Not only has Blizzard failed spectacularly with Titan, they couldn't even salvage the scraps with Overwatch. Amazing.

Input lag is still a huge issue. Hitboxes are still fucked up.
Ults need to be removed completely if there's to be any matches where skill is a determining factor between a win and a loss. The game isn't so much about the fights but who wins the rock-paper-scissor match when it comes to ults.
I had a 76 v 76 match that was lasting for a while exchanging helix rockets and throwing down stim packs and suddenly the opposing 76 pops his ult, shoots straight at the ground 8 feet to my right and ends the match. Zero skill at that point, just whose ult was charged up more before the fight started.

Lack of ability to kick morons blows my mind.
Mercy still incredibly unfun to play against and there's literally zero counter to her ult. "Kill her before she uses it" people say. That's not a counter, that's a delay. Maybe they need to put you at 0% ult charge if you die so people can't just rush in with full ults and hit Q to win.

Reinhardt needs some serious serious nerfs. That shield of his takes the entire team to focus down, recharges way too quickly, and his charge is 50 feet wide. His hammer swing has way too large of a range on it and if he charges into your face, you're not out-running his swing and it only takes 2-3 swings to kill you if you're being a team player and choosing a support role.

In general, respawn times are way too quick. It's ridiculous to have somebody you just killed in your face within 10 seconds of dying when at the last checkpoint of payload.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.