Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Overwatch

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Overwatch

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-02-2017 10:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jeff Kaplan posted this about Bastion on the Blizzard forums. I wholeheartedly agree with him. The Bastion is OP outrage is blown out of proportion.

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughtful feedback here, everyone. We know Bastion is a big focus for everyone right now. I've been playing online games since they existed and now working on them for almost 15 years. One of the things I've learned about online communities is that change -- any change -- can cause a lot of anxiety. Back when I was working on World of Warcraft, I used to say that if we mailed 500 gold to every player, the community would find some way to be upset about it... because change is bad.

With that said, we'll make some changes to Bastion and put them up on the PTR this morning. We'd love to hear your feedback about those changes when they go up. I don't have details right now because we're still making the changes!

I think it is interesting to reflect upon the idea of what the meta is, what the meta is perceived to be and what the meta should be. When I read some feedback about what the meta should be, I get the sense that for some people that means every hero in Overwatch is picked at the exact same rate (so everyone has a 4-5% pick rate). I'm not sure this is entirely realistic, nor do I think the game is necessarily better if this is the case. It might be and I would love to be wrong about that. One of the reasons that we try to keep all 4 of our game modes viable (I know the community thinks of it as 3 game modes or maybe 3.5) is because different maps and different game modes allow the meta to be more fluid. The more the community pushes us to eliminate maps or modes, the more the hero meta will stagnate. I totally agree that when the meta is too defined (i.e. people only play XYZ heroes) the game is less fun. So we need to watch for trends and adjust as needed.

One interesting thing is the actual meta vs. the perceived meta. The perceived meta is largely driven off of the professional scene and what gets played in tournaments. After those tournaments, really cool reports are written analyzing the pro scene. Those reports go out of their way to say that they are solely reflective of the pro scene and not necessarily representative of the playerbase at large. Yet people cite the pro pick choices as gospel. One thing that I found interesting was that there was a perception based on those reports and in the community that Mercy is never played. Yet according to our stats back during the "3 tank meta" when "Lucio and Ana were the only viable healers", Mercy was the 5th most played hero OVERALL -- and yes, I am talking about in Competitive Play, not Quick Play.

So often, the perception of what the meta is does not match what the actual meta is.

Balance changes can be very difficult to make when emotions run so high in the community. There is outrage if a hero does not get played a lot (like with Bastion or Symmetra). We make changes to make those heroes more viable which means they will get played more. The result is, people need to adjust to playing against Symmetra and Bastion more... and they are more powerful. We cannot just magically make Bastion get picked more so the stats look pretty and not make changes to make him more viable at the same time.

I want to share my personal opinion on Bastion (which is dangerous because I know I am a spokesperson for the game). I play every night. I'm playing both Quick Play and Competitive (I played 2 games of CTF to get my loot box). Over the past few nights I've played with, as and against Bastion. My perception is that he is a little too powerful right now. In particular, in one match I was playing Bastion and the enemy Tracer was trying to hunt me down. The Tracer player was clearly a better player than I am -- a very skilled individual. I relied heavily on my self-heal and the Tracer could not finish me off. But I was able to kill Tracer in recon mode almost through attrition. This part felt wrong to me. But a lot of the feedback I read feels wildly blown out of proportion. Bastion isn't the "I Win button" and he can be focused and countered. When a team is coordinated, he is far scarier than when a team is just playing a pick-up/deathmatch style of play -- and I've witnessed both over the past few nights. I think complaints and praise of Bastion are both valid. I don't think he's perfect yet. But I do think there is a high amount of hyperbole around this particular situation.

In any event, will put some changes up and we're eager to hear your thoughts.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-02-2017 10:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Overwatch’s new and 24th hero is the tank Orisa, who fights with a “fusion driver,” or a projectile machine gun. In a developer update video, Overwatch game developer Jeff Kaplan says her weapon has more range than nearly any other tank hero. She’s currently on the PTR.

http://kotaku.com/overwatch-s-new-hero- ... 1792901585

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-02-2017 11:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like tanks :)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-02-2017 11:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

Quote:
Overwatch’s new and 24th hero is the tank Orisa, who fights with a “fusion driver,” or a projectile machine gun. In a developer update video, Overwatch game developer Jeff Kaplan says her weapon has more range than nearly any other tank hero. She’s currently on the PTR.

http://kotaku.com/overwatch-s-new-hero- ... 1792901585

Just coz this shit needs to be seen on the new page, innit

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-02-2017 12:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bout the whole bastion thing, I've noticed I can go some games without dying. That's not right.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-02-2017 01:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No spider legs then :)

Edit: wait, she actually has 4 legs. Half a spider then

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-02-2017 01:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Bout the whole bastion thing, I've noticed I can go some games without dying. That's not right.

Mercy, Rein & Bastion is incredible for staying alive

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-02-2017 02:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's Orisa's abilities:
https://playoverwatch.com/en-gb/heroes/orisa/

I count more abilities than buttons though, I think?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-02-2017 02:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

48mb update.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-02-2017 09:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Here's Orisa's abilities:
https://playoverwatch.com/en-gb/heroes/orisa/

I count more abilities than buttons though, I think?

Fusion Driver = Left Click
Halt! = Right Click
Fortify = Shift
Protective Barrier = E
Supercharger = Q

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-03-2017 12:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Right, the alt fire button. Forgot about that one.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-03-2017 12:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just played some comp games...had a few really useless teams again. Attack Torb etc...anyway ranked in at 1600 :/ That appears to be my level.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-03-2017 01:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shame. I've done 7 games so far. 4 wins, 3 losses. Seems to become a 50/50 deal at this rate.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-03-2017 02:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Played 2 placements. First was loss, terrible picks though I wasn't shooting straight either.
Second was a draw because the entire team kept getting baited out of the objective zone during defense while a single Tracer would increase the cap inch for inch.
FFS.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-03-2017 05:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also re Orisa
I'm not feeling it.. wonder what the emotes and such are.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-03-2017 08:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ranked in just below 2400 because of morons. Time to get back to platinum.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-03-2017 09:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Morons everywhere...I need to play with mates

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-05-2017 03:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GGs

That's something I've not said for years in this place. MKJ should get involved, and krakhouse.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-05-2017 11:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indeed GGs Sir

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-06-2017 12:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

then invite me mufucks. I was online yesterday when I saw Donny play.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-06-2017 01:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My dear friends gifted this lovely game to me, bless their hearts! I'd love to play a game or two with you q3weers sometime, how do i add you lot?

Fav characters so far: D.VA (still mostly suck with her but i do love her special), Pharah (used to play a lot of Tribes II so i instantly clicked with this one) and Tracer ( 28 kill streak third game i played, she's an FPS player's dream :D)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-06-2017 01:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Biggest lols I have with DVa is waiting for Rein or Hog to pin/hook me and then ulting.
Much rustles.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-06-2017 01:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hehe nice idea, i'll try that :)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-06-2017 02:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What you playing on Ryoki?

MKJ - might sneak a game in tonight if you are about...

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-06-2017 03:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm on PC :up:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-06-2017 03:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
I'm on PC :up:

Add me; doncarlos#2340

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-06-2017 03:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Initial ranking at 1451. My modem had a spasm (lost internet connectivity) during my last placement game forcing me to leave the game. Have to look into that because it's something that has happened a couple of times before.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-06-2017 04:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Damn... don't feel so bad about my 2100 rank I got. I ended last season at 2500 and don't play much so figured it was ok.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-06-2017 06:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's pretty good. I ended last season somewhere around 1700.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-06-2017 02:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

your Mercy game is pg, Dom.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-06-2017 02:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll get voice set up next time, gotta find a way to combine it with the headphones I'm using.

Anyway ggs. Last match was crushing it.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-06-2017 02:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not much to it is there? GGs tho, like old times.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-06-2017 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It turns out my ping is only 100 while playing on EU servers. I may be playing on -8 GMT, but I am awake at odd hours. Add me, bitches.

SomaHoliday#11365

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-07-2017 12:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Not much to it is there? GGs tho, like old times.

noise cancelling headphones over a separate amp, no mic.
I'll figure something out. Worst case I just gotta play the game sound over the speakers like some plebian.

Also gotta get myself placed.. we couldn't join competitive because I only played 2 matches this season :i

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-07-2017 04:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You guys playing on xbox or PC? I played some last night, killing it with Bastion. Had a whole team that seemed to build themselves around me as bastion (something I've never experienced before) and it was glorious.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.