Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Overwatch

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Overwatch

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 02:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jeff Kaplan on Matchmaking. Some great insight in there, it's really worth reading.

source wrote:
Great post, ExcaliburZ. Allow me to share some of my personal thoughts on matchmaking...

We’ve been following all of the discussion around matchmaking. When topics get discussed in the community (and often among game developers) we tend to talk about things in very black/white or right/wrong terms. But most important decisions you make as a game developer are difficult trade-off decisions with no perfect answer.

The goal of the matchmaking is to make it so that you as a player do not have to find 11 other people to play with. You can click a Play button, and the system finds other players for you. That’s the basics. The reality is, the matchmaker is extremely complex in what it is trying to do. It does way more than I am going to mention in this post so while I am going to offer some information here, I am leaving some things out (not all intentionally – it’s just a really complex system).

At a most basic level, the matchmaker is trying to put you with 11 other people. But it doesn’t just randomly select 11 people. It takes into account a number of factors (more than I am going to list and not necessarily prioritized).

The first factor is time. The matchmaker will try to find you match quickly and not force you to wait too long. A very common thing that happens is that a player will become dissatisfied with a match and say “I don’t care how long you make me wait. I’d rather wait 20 minutes and have a good match than get matchmade into a match like you just put me into.” What we’ve seen is that when the time crosses a certain threshold, players begin to complain about it taking too long to find a match. It sounds good… waiting for that perfect match. But when the reality of waiting too long comes down on most people, they end up vocalizing their discontent on the forums. Also, there is an unrealistic expectation that if a player waits longer for a match, the “better” the match will be. The concept of “better” when it comes to matchmaking is a really hard one to define.

If I were to summarize match results into 5 broad buckets it would be these:

1. My team won. We beat the other team by a long shot.

2. My team barely won.

3. My team barely lost.

4. My team lost. We lost by a long shot. It wasn’t even close

5. It was a broken match somehow. Maybe someone disconnected,
was screwing around or we played with fewer than 12 people.

(of course there are more cases than this – I am overly simplifying here)

Most players will say that they want a match to be either type 2 or type 3 as I described above. Those sound even. Barely win or barely lose. But I believe when psychology comes into play, most players actually expect type 1 or type 2 to be the result. Even an amazingly close type 3 match can turn into a highly negative experience for a lot of players. And if you keep “barely losing” it’s not a very fun night. Winning is fun and good. Losing is less fun than winning.

So waiting a really long time to lose by a long shot is obviously not good. But waiting a really long time to barely lose is also a negative experience. And if we assume that your chances of winning are 50%, that means that even waiting a really long time for a “better” match means that you’re going to wait a really long time to probably lose half the time… If your expectation was that you were going to wait a really long time for an awesome match where you either 1) Won by a long shot or 2) Barely won… but still won nonetheless, your expectations for what the system can or should do are in the wrong place. We do not generate bots to take losses so you can win more than 50% of the time. Those are real people losing on the other end of every loss you take.

A second factor we take into account is ping. We’re matchmaking people all over the world and we want to match people to the closest servers for the best play experience. In our second stress test, we had other things prioritized over ping-based matchmaking such as skill and time. For those of you who participated in that stress test, you’ll remember how terrible the game performance was on the first day as well as how “lit up” the forums were demanding that players be given an option of server choice. So now we prioritize ping for players. Some players live in challenging parts of the world when it comes to high speed data connections (I’m looking at you, Andes mountain range…) so it’s not perfect for everyone. But largely, most people get a really decent connection to our game servers. Matching players with wildly disparate pings also results in a higher frequency of undesirable side effects such as “getting shot behind walls”. Of course if you live in Houston, Texas and group with your buddy in Geneva, Switzerland, you’re now introducing uncertainty to our system that’s harder for us to deal with… but we allow it.

Which brings us to the next factor that we match on: grouping. The majority of our matches are comprised of either all solo players or solo players and players grouped with one other person. However, the system does try to match groups of equal sizes together first and foremost. As the time people wait grows, we expand the search to try to find others for them to play with. This means that occasionally we will match groups with players who are not grouped or in a group size that is smaller than their own. Like I mentioned, this is exceedingly rare but can happen. And that match is only made when players have crossed a waiting threshold that we deem too long. For most group matches a group of 6 is placed against another group of 6.

Groups are a big challenge in our matchmaking system. You can group with people of wildly varying skill and ping and we allow you to. It’s pretty unlikely that there is another group in the queue that exactly mirrors the unique circumstances that you have set up (pings, skills etc.). We want you to group. We feel that it’s the best way to play the game. So we try to avoid things that discourage grouping and we want to continually improve the social systems so that you’ll find it easier and easier to group with people you have chosen to play with. Playing with people you choose to play with is going to be more reliably fun than playing with people we choose for you. I once used the analogy of hanging out with people on a Saturday night. If you were to go out with five of your friends it would probably be a better time than if we tried to find 5 random people for you to go out with, no matter how smart we were in our selection process…

Anyway, this leads me to matchmaking rating. This rating is the most important thing that we try to match on. Basically this rating means “how good are you?” Commonly, you’ll hear this referred to as Matchmaking Rating or MMR. MMR is derived differently in different games. Overwatch borrows a lot of knowledge from other games but also does a lot of things unique to Overwatch. As each player plays games, their matchmaking rating goes up or down depending on if they win or lose. The system is extremely complicated and there is a lot more going on here than I am going to spell out. So please don’t take this as the comprehensive guide to how MMR is calculated in Overwatch. There is definitely a lot more going on under the hood.

In Overwatch, whether your MMR goes up or down is contingent on winning or losing. But there are a number of factors that determine how much that rating goes up or down. For example, what map you’re playing on and whether you were attacking or defending is factored in. We know the win rates on attack/defend on all of the maps and we normalize accordingly. Not all wins and losses are equal. We also look at your individual performance on each of the heroes you played during the match. Everyone has better and worse heroes and we have tons of data showing us what performance levels should be like on those heroes. We also look at your opponents and whether or not their matchmaking rating is higher or lower than yours. These are just a few of the things that are considered when determining how your skill should go up or down. At no point in MMR calculations do we look at your win/loss ratio and win/loss ratio is never used to determine who to match you with or against. We are not trying to drive your win/loss percentage toward a certain number (although the fact that so many people are at 50% win rates makes us extremely happy). All the system does when it comes to matching on skill is attempt to match you with people of a similar number.

The system is of course deeper than this. There are penalties and handicaps added for things like not playing for a while or playing in groups of varying sizes. We also do special things for brand new players to (hopefully) keep them away from the general population. Players will often mistakenly look at player level and accuse the matchmaker of making unfair matches. One thing that I have mentioned before is that we were evaluating your skill during closed beta, open beta and the second stress test weekend. If you played in any of these (over 10 million players did), we had already determined a skill rating for you (most likely). This means that it’s not uncommon to see a level 1 matchmade against much higher level players. In most of these cases, the Level 1 is a skilled player who played during the phases I mentioned but did not immediately play at launch.

There are many factors that are beyond our control that add noise to the matchmaking system.

• Leavers are extremely disruptive

• Players vary wildly in their skill with different heroes. We have no clue which of the 21 heroes you are going to play during a match

• Groups form with wild variance in skill levels and ping. Contrary to popular belief there is not a “perfect match” for your unique snowflake group

• Sometimes your little brother plays on your account

• Sometimes the cat walks in front of the screen

• Sometimes your wireless mouse runs out of batteries. (Why do you use a wireless mouse btw?)

• Sometimes a highly skilled player buys a new copy of OW to “start fresh” on a new account

• Sometimes you have internet problems

• Sometimes you play drunk or tired… or both

• That first game of the night…

• …that last game of the night

• “Life”

So this brings me to some thoughts I’ve been having about Overwatch. While this whole post has been mostly my personal thoughts – this next part is “especially” my thoughts and not reflective of the team or the company’s POV.

For better or for worse, we focused the design of the game on winning or losing as a team. OW is not a game where you ignore the map objectives and then look at your K/D ratio to determine how good you are. We want you to focus on winning or losing and as a result you do focus on winning or losing. We tried to make it so that losing isn’t the end of the world, but to a lot of people they expect to win far much more than they lose. I sometimes wonder if we were able to clone you 11 times and then put you in a match with and against yourself, would you be happy with the outcome? Even if you lost? Out of the 5 types of matches I described above, it is my belief that you would still experience types 1-4. Are those “stomps” still not acceptable? Because they will happen…

And I believe OW is strange game in that regard. I spend a lot of time studying the matches that I am in because I am very focused on matchmaking. I’ve been in so many Control Point maps where my team got destroyed on the first point, the enemy team got destroyed on the second point and then we play the third point to a 99%/99% overtime. If you judged any of those single points on their own merits you could say you have two stomps (one in your favor, one against you) and one close match. Same players...no change in matchmaking. Or take a match that I was just in on Route 66, for example. My team was on attack and could barely push out past the train cars. Two members of our team swapped heroes and we proceeded to march the payload all the way to the end of the map practically uncontested. The match went from a stomp in one direction to a stomp in the other direction.

So while it is possible for a mismatch to result in a stomp, not every stomp is a mismatch. If every time a team dominates another team it is viewed as “the matchmaker is broken”, the problem we have is with perception and expectations. Look across all pro sports. Even matches happen every night. Stomps happen every night. It’s a reality of any competitive game. Does that make being on the receiving end sting any less – probably not.

We are constantly improving the matchmaker. We learn more each day. We have one of our best engineers and best designers full time dedicated to the system. Many of those “silent” patches that go out during the week are adjustments to the system. For example, we recently realized that “Avoid this player” was wreaking havoc on matchmaking. One of the best Widowmaker players in the world complained to us about long queue times. We looked into it and found that hundreds of other players had avoided him (he’s a nice guy – they avoided him because they did not want to play against him, not because of misbehavior). The end result was that it took him an extremely long time to find a match. The worst part was, by the time he finally got a match, he had been waiting so long that the system had “opened up” to lower skill players. Now one of the best Widowmaker players was facing off against players at a lower skill level. As a result, we’ve disabled the Avoid system (the UI will go away in an upcoming patch). The system was designed with the best intent. But the results were pretty disastrous.

We will always be working on our matchmaking system. We’re listening to feedback, we’re playing the game a ton ourselves and we’re looking at hard data to inform our decisions. This post wasn’t my way of saying everything is fine. I just wanted to share some of my thoughts as someone who has been evaluating the system itself very closely as well as monitoring the feedback. I want to put it out there that there is a lot of room for improvement but also suggest that there are forces in play that cause some fair matches to sway lopsided due to forces out of our control. The game is as much (if not more) art than it is science. We’ll keep working to make it better!

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 02:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Overwatch PTR is available for testing competitive mode, plus patch notes:
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20157263

Preview of the cosmetic golden weapon rewards for competitive play. They look pretty tacky to me tbh.
http://masteroverwatch.com/news/19-prev ... s-from-ptr

Competitive Mode Explained!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 04:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've seen so many people complain about the matchmaking system, but I'm convinced that's due to them not understanding exactly what Kaplan describes here.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 04:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not too fond of the golden weapons either, tbh

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 04:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meh whatevs, it's not about the looks it's more about the bragging rights.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 04:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Goddamn loot boxes.
Had 3 legendary skins with the open beta. That was all wiped of course. Now I have one legendary skin for roadhog (the Tao one, which is ugly]). Got another legendary drop in a loot box moments ago. I threw my arms in the air out of sheer joy, only to find it's a goddamn stack of 500 gold. What a rip off.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 04:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well.. 500 gold is halfway to a legendary one.

I only have 1 as well for symmetra, which I recently started using as a result, she's pretty fun despite how weak she is in combat but if you get set up with turrets she's really annoying to deal with.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 05:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've had a few legendary skins aside from the pre-order and origins ones, D.Va Junker, Junkrat Fool, McCree Riverboat, Mei Yeti Hunter, Pharah Thunderbird, and Zarya Industrial. Of those, the only ones I play regularly are Pharah and Junkrat. For some of the heroes, I much prefer some of their epic skins even over their legendary ones. E.g. Bastion Omnic Crisis, Lucio Auditiva, and Soldier 76 Bone are all better than their legendary skins IMO.

The one hero with absolutely superb and unique epic and legendary skins across the board is Reinhardt. Each and every one of them is incredible. Stonehardt has to be the best skin in the game period. I wish I got some of his instead of crappy ones like McCree and Mei, which I won't be using much of.

BTW Eraser, a legendary stack of 500 coins is far better than a dupe legendary skin, for which you only get 200 coins =[

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-22-2016 06:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Saw some cool Reinhardt skins last night in a hilarious match on Route 66. We were defending, and out comes 6 Reinhardts. It almost looked like it was going to work for a little while too, they made it about halfway. I was using Pharah so it prevented them from forming this defensive circle around the car they had going with her rockets and displacement grenades.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 06-24-2016 01:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Teehee!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-24-2016 01:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, them dicks shouting "we need healing/tank/whatever" while picking Hanzo while we already have a Widowmaker and another Hanzo really get on my nerves.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 06-27-2016 05:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There was an Overwatch tournament this past weekend. Some really great plays. Worth watching if you have tons of time.

Twitch VODs:
https://www.twitch.tv/joshog/v/74458177
https://www.twitch.tv/joshog/v/74661501

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-27-2016 05:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah watched some of it live.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 02:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Competitive mode is out:

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/20167051

Brief summary:

o Competitive Play will be locked until you hit level 25.

o Every new player must first complete 10 placement matches in order to obtain their initial skill rating.

o Competitive Play will consist of four seasons, each lasting two and a half months.

o At the end of a season, anyone who has completed the 10 placement matches will receive a special spray and player icon, with a new set of designs being released every season.

o As you win matches, you’ll earn Competitive Points. Based on your performance, you’ll also receive a number of points at the end of the season. These Competitive Points can be exchanged for cosmetic Golden Weapons for your heroes.

o A leaderboard system will highlight the best players in the Overwatch community—so if you manage to fight your way into the top 500 players on your platform, you'll receive an in-game notification, certifying your competitive credentials for as long as you can hold the position.

o Leaving a game early or stepping away from your computer during a match will make you ineligible to join a new game until the original match has been completed. There is an option to rejoin an in-progress game—however, failure to rejoin will result in a penalty.

o Continued infractions will lead to restrictions on future competitive matches. As the violations start to pile up, Competitive Play will be locked for an increasing amount of time. Repeated violations can also result in a ban on Competitive Play for the current season—including the forfeiture of any rewards.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 02:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wish theyd bring out a demo. I like the artstyle of this game but I'm not sure how it plays. Every bit of footage I see also seems to be on the same two maps.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 03:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The gameplay is ace. You won't find any faults there, the game is extremely polished and the maps, which there are several of them, I'm not sure the exact number but it feels like there's about a dozen different maps with various gameplay types.

The maps themselves are instant classics. They feel like they've been well thought out and aren't too difficult to get used to but have enough little secrets and shortcuts to make map knowledge key to using specific classes.

As a tank, I mostly stick to the main routes but when I play as tracer/genji I tend to stick to the alleyways and rooftops to flank the enemy team.

There's very little to complain about in overwatch. New maps and new characters were announced by blizzard and told they'd be free which is awesome. They seem to have a lot of things planned for it. The only thing you could complain about is that there's no storyline or single player and there's not many online modes to choose from. Just the 1 but it's a testament to how good the game is because I'm far from bored with that one game mode.

There's so much variety in the characters you choose from that if you get bored of one style of playing you can just switch to another character and it almost becomes an entirely new game.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 03:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why didn't you play during the open beta in early May? Perfect opportunity to try it out. Unfortunately, Blizzard don't seem to do demos, the open betas pre-launch are the closest you'll get to it.

Kracus is bang on though, Just get it, it's a fantastically well built game.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 03:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also... get it on xbox one and you can play with mei...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 04:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get the game it's very entertaining. And I'm not easy to please when it come to games

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 04:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
Why didn't you play during the open beta in early May?

'Cause it wasn't really on my radar back then. Or more accurately, it was being called a FPS moba and I'm not into mobas.

I guess my primary concern is the price vs the amount of time I'll sink into it. That and that I rarely - if not never - use voice chat on xbl. Which leaves pubs which means a team of people trying to get the most kills instead of getting the objective.

MP FPSs made me bitter, can you tell? :toothy:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 04:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then again I bought Titanfall in a spotlight sale and I sunk almost as much time in that as I have in Diablo3.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 04:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The online isn't that bad. You'll come across some teams that just don't work together and others that seem to do everything right. I don't really care too much about winning or losing and just try to play the best I can in the role I'm playing.

Sometimes I'll pick last to fill in any roles that are missing like healer or defense etc... and other times I just play what I want and don't give a shit what other people think or say. I rarely chat on xbl in this game unless I hear someone else. The communication wheel and the characters own dialogue seem to say what I was going to anyway. Like if you play as Mercy she yells out to teamates when she's healing and someone jumps her... not that anyone seems to notice... :p

I disliked titanfall though.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 04:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
I guess my primary concern is the price vs the amount of time I'll sink into it.

it's only €40 :shrug:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 04:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh and forget about competitive play. I did two placement matches and oh my god, both games were filled with rude know-it-alls that demanded I play one or another character (and not in a nice "would you please" way) and who blamed everyone but themselves for a lost round. I actually quit that second game ignoring all the red warning messages you get about penalties for leaving games because, wow, Overwatch instantly turns into a shit show once you enter competitive mode.

I'll stick to quick matches from now on. Fuck those golden weapons, they're ugly anyway.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 05:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
it was being called a FPS moba

Yeah, I don't really think that was a fair comparison. MOBAs have creeps and currency and last taps and other such bullshit. This has none of that, just unique heroes with their own skillset.

MKJ wrote:
I guess my primary concern is the price vs the amount of time I'll sink into it.

I've put in about 93 hours since launch. I'm almost certain that number is going to go up. I've probably spent more time on this than I did D3 at a similar point in the game's life. Value for money up the wazoo.

and jesus fucking christ man, only some kind of pooron even has to calculate this lolol r u saying ur a pooron?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 05:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
MKJ wrote:

70 for the digital version, which is just absurd.
I obviously dont *have* to get it digitally but if you just want to get three rounds in it's really a hassle changing discs around.

consoles and AAA digital releases don't mix :(

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 05:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
I wish theyd bring out a demo. I like the artstyle of this game but I'm not sure how it plays. Every bit of footage I see also seems to be on the same two maps.

If I had tried the demo or the beta, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I just needed to kill some time for a day before I flew to Rome so I went and picked it up. In fact I was completely unsold on it until a few days ago when I clicked with a few of the characters and now I love it. Such a fantastically balanced game. Very few times do you genuinely have a white wash. I would recommend it sir and I would recommend playing until you hit level 10 - thats when I started to get to grips with the game personally.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 05:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Oh and forget about competitive play. I did two placement matches and oh my god, both games were filled with rude know-it-alls that demanded I play one or another character (and not in a nice "would you please" way) and who blamed everyone but themselves for a lost round. I actually quit that second game ignoring all the red warning messages you get about penalties for leaving games because, wow, Overwatch instantly turns into a shit show once you enter competitive mode.

I'll stick to quick matches from now on. Fuck those golden weapons, they're ugly anyway.

Aww, I'm sorry you had such a bad first experience with it. I would suggest giving it another chance and not being so quick to write it off. I'm sure you're going to get the occasional rude jerkwad, but by and large people are going to be OK. Quick Play is definitely a lot less stressful though.

I played 6 placement matches today, won 5 and lost 1. Played Lucio on 1 [Control] and Mercy on the rest [the other map types]. My first two matches were solo queue, but by chance I got grouped with the same set of people twice in a row, and they invited me to their group afterwards. So we played four more matches together. The fifth one was Route 66. We won the first round on attack, but the opponents had a pretty good strategy/comp/execution on the second round when we were defending. The enemy Tracer especially hounded me a lot and would save ult often just to get a solo kill on me. As a result, I had quite a few deaths and therefore wasn't around to heal or res as much as I could have been. Wasn't really getting much support from my team in taking her out, but she was really good at ducking out and then coming back to harass. Just the usual Tracer bznz. One guy in the group started getting very pissy, nearly constantly spamming for heals, even when I was clearly dead or running back. We lost the defence round, so it went to overtime, which we easily won on defence. He didn't say anything in chat, but immediately left the group after that. I'm just like WTF chill dude.

Playing with a semi coherent group is fun, but there is more pressure and expectation to perform. And if you don't, it can be a bad feeling. I'm not sure yet how seriously I'm going to take Competitive Mode. Needs more data points.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 05:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Eraser wrote:

70 for the digital version, which is just absurd.
I obviously dont *have* to get it digitally but if you just want to get three rounds in it's really a hassle changing discs around.

consoles and AAA digital releases don't mix :(

Console version is €70? Holy shit you're getting fucked :olo:
On PC the Battle.net download is only €40 for the normal version, €60 for the "origins edition" and then there's some kind of collector's edition as well.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 05:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I paid 50 euros for the Origin edition on the PS4...disc version though

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 05:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Console version is €70? Holy shit you're getting fucked :olo:
On PC the Battle.net download is only €40 for the normal version, €60 for the "origins edition" and then there's some kind of collector's edition as well.

i know right.
Origins is the only edition available on consoles, and MS always jacks the digital dl prices.
Retail versions are usually obtainable for about 40, 35.

They do have nice sales every week though, slashing prices to up to 70%. so thats something.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 06:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm going to ask the obvious here, but why not pc? Its an fps .

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 07:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

havent owned a gaming pc in about 6 years. i do casual games on my laptop and the rest on consoles. seeing how i usually dont play competitive fps' anymore anyway i dont need the kb/m edge.

but fuck you guys. youve done it, imma get this game. congrats :mad:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 07:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have fun not playing with us >:(

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-29-2016 08:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well... I'll be playing it so hit me up MKJ, I'm starting to gather others on my friends list that play it so a full team is possible.

Although as I mentioned the normal matchmaking is pretty good.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.