Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Home audio recording

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Home audio recording

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-24-2015 01:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How many of you have experience with home audio recording (recording yourself while playing an instrument)?

I have an ASIO device hooked up to my PC in which I plug my guitar. I use REAPER as DAW. I use GuitarRig for modelling amps and some effects and EZDrummer2 for tracking drums.

The thing I wonder about now is how I can do guitar feedback when my guitar isn't plugged into a real amp and the pickups can't pick up the output of the virtual amp. There is no analog feedback chain like that. Can this be simulated somehow?

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-24-2015 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

for home type recording i would line out a amp, eq boost the midrange (tailor it to your guitars response) like a mofo and press the headstock against the amp cabinet to induce max resonationing .

slap some compression sustain to the signal if you like

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-25-2015 06:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can get feedback if you are monitoring the signal as you play. Essentially the guitar will feedback through the monitors instead of the amp, as it normally would. It's a bit harder to get it going but it can be done. If you want convincing feedback sounds you need to mic your amp and just record the real deal.

Playboy
Playboy
PostPosted: 12-25-2015 07:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've sent snapchats to women of me jerking off, does that count?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-26-2015 04:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
You can get feedback if you are monitoring the signal as you play. Essentially the guitar will feedback through the monitors instead of the amp, as it normally would. It's a bit harder to get it going but it can be done. If you want convincing feedback sounds you need to mic your amp and just record the real deal.

I was afraid this would be the case. I know some bands I listen to record guitars by plugging directly into their DAW, but I don't know if they go through a mic when feedback is required.

I might have to invest in a mic and put some effort into sweet talking my neighbors :smirk:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-26-2015 04:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh do you guys know a good, sample recorded orchestra (or just strings) VSTi plugin? I have something that synths everything but it just sounds crap.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-26-2015 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yea i do

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-26-2015 05:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vienna symphonic library, but only the strings part is around 3k and 200gb of samples, their full library with all the orchestral instruments goes for 10k... you can torrent most of it but i know people around here dont like that, also you loose lots of functionality and you have to manualy sort everything and import the samples into kontakt..

then you have cinestrings and lass, i think i prefer cinestrings out of the two and theres also cinebrass, cinewinds and so on...i have a couple of them and i think theyre the best such product on the market after VSL... im gonna take the time one day now and start setting up the torrented VLS samples, its been on my mind for some time.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-30-2015 05:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get a good condenser mic. A dynamic mic won't be fast enough to accurately catch the sound of the plek hitting the strings which is important for the track to later being well recognicable in the mix. Sounds strange but it really does matter. A small membrane should do, a big one would be even better. Your audio interface has to support phantom power on the XLR input for a condenser mic.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-30-2015 11:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Flex Donkey wrote:
I've sent snapchats to women of me jerking off, does that count?

snapchat you say

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-30-2015 01:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thx for the tips. It's my first time doodling around with this sort of thing, just recording a cover of an existing song. Something really simple to not overstretch myself. So yea, 3 grand is a bit much.

Got inspired by this truly awesome video of Devin Townsend recording a song from scratch all by himself in just 2 hours: https://youtu.be/2Bxzr9n_HK8
Pretty amazing stuff to see.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.