Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Xbox one backwards compatibility

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Xbox one backwards compatibility

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-06-2019 06:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bet one of you nerds will know the answer to this question (looking at you MKJ)
When I install an Xbox 360 game on my Xbox One of which a native Xbox One version exists as well, will it install the native Xbox One version (and can I enjoy all the perks of that) or will it still install some kind of Xbox One port of the 360 version? Also, can I expect any benefits of running an Xbox 360 port on my Xbox One (like higher framerates) or not?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-06-2019 09:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it checks the disk then grabs the updated/fixed version. Disconnect it from the internet and try.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-06-2019 09:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, ok, sure, but is that "fixed version", as you call it, the native xbox one version of the game including assets or a patched version of the xb360 version.

To illustrate, one game that springs to mind for no particular reason is Rise of the Tomb Raider. There's an xbox360/ps3 version that lacks a bunch of the visual bells and whistles the Xb1/PS4 version does have. So if you own the xb360 version and use backwards compat to play it on Xb1, will you have those bells and whistles or not?

Second example, I played Bioshock Infinite on xb360. It suffered greatly from framerate issues. If I play that through backward compatibility, will the added processing power of Xb1 provide higher (or at least more consistent) framerates than Xbox 360?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-06-2019 04:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think it installs the 360 version, then it does an update before you can start the game. The update is the “remastered” version. This is my understanding...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-06-2019 11:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What xeros said.
It installs whatever is on the disc (or rather, downloads whats on the disc). You'll notice a big difference in filesize as well.
That said, a handful of 360 games received 4K downloadable upgrades like Gears and Forza; essentially a texture pack.
You would need a X1X for that tho.

In cases like Bioshock, you'll get the 360 version. The Remastered version is technically a different piece of software with its own achievements and saves. The 360 version will not automagically give you the One version.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-06-2019 11:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As for other benefits: upscaled to 1080p, shorter load times and in some cases less fps drops.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-07-2019 12:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok thanks for the info :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.