Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        What do y'all do with your old movies and games?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: What do y'all do with your old movies and games?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-31-2016 05:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got stacks and stacks of old dvd movies and games. What the hell should I do with them?

More than likely I'm never going to pop in one of these movies. Probably should just toss em out. There's a few I might watch. But now I can just find most movies on Netflix/Amazon Video/Directv On-Demand.

As for the games, there's always that desire of nostalgia. I want to think that someday, I might play that game again. But in reality, these games are 10-15 years old. Why would I play them again when I have new games now?

Are you guys in the same boat or do you just trash your movies and games when you're done with them?

redline
redline
PostPosted: 03-31-2016 05:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't have any media on disk. I also don't have any disk drives in any of my devices.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-31-2016 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bin / charity shops. I loaded all mine out to some dude that does bootsales.

Playboy
Playboy
PostPosted: 03-31-2016 06:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

eGay.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-31-2016 07:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i sold mine , only kept Q3A :)

the rest is free world downloads

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-31-2016 10:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting problem. I have quite a few games as I have been a 3D gamer seemingly forever. I got the bug back in the Commodore Pet days.

Just looked through the drawer where I keep 'em Image Duke Nukem 3D, Star Wars and Command & Conquer, all there.

Recently I was trying to sell my collection of some PC (monthly) magazines 250+ and all with CDs & then DVDs. First issue was in ‎May 1996. No one was interested. I even tried to give them to a local college offering courses in IT and PC game development. Not interested :smirk:

Short answer sadly is games to charity bins and books/magazines to the rubbish bin.

Movies, mostly on DVD and kept if I think I'll view again but I did find some oldies on this PC the other day. Goodness knows if I will ever view.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-31-2016 10:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got all my old games (back to Q1 and earlier), dvds and even some ancient video cassettes in boxes in the lumber room. Every other year I think about selling or giving it all away. But then again nostalgia pops in and I put the boxes back in the shelf. Thinking about the adventure I had as a child finding lots of exciting ancient stuff up in the attic. How boring it will be for future generations if all they could explore will be hard disks! No patina, no crumpled and bleached out covers as I found them for example with the old records of my dad and grandpa... Only soulless bits and bytes. How much more has an dusty old ripped paper photograph with coffee stains to it compared to a digital image, which wont age a slight little bit. I Believe there will be a common "pauperisation of history" for the time since the computer era began. Lots of every day stuff will be just lost because it never really existed, only as magnetic bits on HDs. Future generations most likely wont be able to read/view/run lots of stuff just due to incompatibilities of the technical systems. We all can see it already nowadays, as we can't just put in most of our old games and just run them... Kind of sad, isn't it? So, that's why I still keep the old stuff, even if I didn't actually use it for decades...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-31-2016 10:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well said chopov :up:
The same can be said for photographs. We take thousands but print very few.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-31-2016 11:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am a hoarder for media....so I have every game I have ever bought or had bought for me :paranoid:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 12:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I look at them, weeping softly knowing I will never play them again wven though I really want to.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 12:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Colleague of mine sold his collection recently, there's apparently still a market for it. I imagine it's the 50-70 aged part of the population, the ones that aren't hip with streaming and all that other crazy internet stuff. I'd do the same but i got rid of all the covers to reduce the size of my small collection (which honestly includes more than a few shit films) - don't think i'd find anyone willing to part with actual money for it. Should probably just toss it in the bin or bring it to a poor people store.

My problem is books... have far too many of those.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 01:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For PC games, I pretty much transitioned directly from being a poor pirate to buying exclusively digital games on Steam, Battle.net, etc. So I had virtually no physical media to speak of, aside from a handful of exceptions like Q3 [which I think I still have somewhere at my parent's place]. For consoles, I pretty much just sell the console and games once I get sick/bored of it. I eBay'd my old PS2 and X-box with all their games back in 2009-ish when I got a PS3, and eBay'd the PS3 about 2 months ago [after not having used it for almost a whole year]. I'll sometimes get nostalgic and regret having sold them [e.g. I'm sure I'm going to miss Uncharted and The Last of Us eventually]. But I also try to live minimalistically, and I detest clutter. On balance, I still think it's the right move.

For music, I threw most of it away after I digitized my entire physical collection. I kept a handful of CDs of bands that make a noteworthy effort on packaging and artwork [like Tool], and some which were gifts or had other sentimental value.

The only movie I've ever owned is The Lord of the Rings trilogy, which I still have.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 03:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If the games are exceptionally old I'll keep them. I still have black and white, q3a, civ and sim city games. Those never really get old, they just turn into classics which I'll load up for my kids when they're old enough.

Newer games I own I'll trade in for other games when I see something I like but I always keep ones that I really enjoy. Like burnout revenge, Shadowrun, GTA games, evolve. That kind of stuff. Shit like Halo gets traded in the second I want something else.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 09:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still have some old game boxes sitting at my parents' house: Rayman, NHL 98, classic Tomb Raider, Doom 3, etc. I doubt I'll ever throw them out.

Console games I don't give a shit about, I gave away my entire 360 library to Gamestop when I decided to buy an Xbone.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 09:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I never did buy movies or TV shows on DVD. I got a few as Christmas/birthday gifts, but they were quickly lost or given away. I torrented all of the movies I watched and songs I listened to, as if piracy was going out of style, but now I just use Netflix and Google Play Music. As for games, they collected dust and eventually I tossed them out since everything's digital nowadays. I no longer have any physical media of the sort, just a bookshelf with dozens of hardcover novels. :up:

A small part of me feels bad about stealing all that media when I was younger. But just a small part. :paranoid:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 09:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

chopov wrote:
I've got all my old games (back to Q1 and earlier), dvds and even some ancient video cassettes in boxes in the lumber room. Every other year I think about selling or giving it all away. But then again nostalgia pops in and I put the boxes back in the shelf. Thinking about the adventure I had as a child finding lots of exciting ancient stuff up in the attic. How boring it will be for future generations if all they could explore will be hard disks! No patina, no crumpled and bleached out covers as I found them for example with the old records of my dad and grandpa... Only soulless bits and bytes. How much more has an dusty old ripped paper photograph with coffee stains to it compared to a digital image, which wont age a slight little bit. I Believe there will be a common "pauperisation of history" for the time since the computer era began. Lots of every day stuff will be just lost because it never really existed, only as magnetic bits on HDs. Future generations most likely wont be able to read/view/run lots of stuff just due to incompatibilities of the technical systems. We all can see it already nowadays, as we can't just put in most of our old games and just run them... Kind of sad, isn't it? So, that's why I still keep the old stuff, even if I didn't actually use it for decades...

totally this

i have actual letters from people up to about the mid-90s, and after that fuck-all. digital culture is disposable culture

which reminds me, i must print some of my photos <3

redline
redline
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
A small part of me feels bad about stealing all that media when I was younger. But just a small part. :paranoid:

I still download movie remuxes. I wouldn't mind a Netflix subscription, I just prefer BluRay quality. Music I usually stream via di.fm Premium. Sometimes I might download a torrent of an album I want to hear.

I don't feel bad about it because I contribute to the industry by going to movie theaters and paying to see my favorite DJs at afterhours and concerts.

Games I always buy, assuming they have DRM (Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc).

I do feel bad about stealing books (epub/pdf). At the same time, I find them overpriced.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 12:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
chopov wrote:

totally this

i have actual letters from people up to about the mid-90s, and after that fuck-all. digital culture is disposable culture

which reminds me, i must print some of my photos <3

luckily i have at least some friends, who still write letters on paper (I keep all of them). And I also send for example old style postcards from holidays instead of mails or Whatsapp... :rolleyes:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 12:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah i get postcards from friends as well, pretty cool blast from the past, even if the photography style adopted by British coastal towns' tourist industry hasn't changed since 1985 :olo:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 11:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd say 1965.
...okay, it actually was from a Welsh coastal town. :owned:

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 04-02-2016 03:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've transferred our DVDs/Blurays to wallets now, and have the boxes up in the loft... I still never watch them, but now they take up less space. Give it a few more years and I might be able to throw them away.. Most of the dvds etc that I save are to watch with my sons when they are a bit older.

I only keep some physical game discs (and their big boxes) for nostalgia/history - Discworld, Deus Ex, Q3A, UT, Red Baron (floppy disks plus manual and paper maps!).
between GOG and Steam I've no reason to hang onto them now beyond nostalgia, but then that's why I also still have my old Lego, airfix, micro machines, manta force etc. :smirk: :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-02-2016 04:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Still got most of my old stuff.

My Nintendo DS games:

GameCube games:

Bunch of PC games:

Xbox 360 and Wii games:

Bunch of Quake series boxes:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.