Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        No ones talking about Win10 + Bash?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: No ones talking about Win10 + Bash?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-31-2016 08:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-31-2016 11:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Completely uninteresting for most people. Even for most people here.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-31-2016 11:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have to agree.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 03:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I suspect that means Windows 10 might be harder to hack than Windows XP and 7. I've used ubuntu to access the windows registry and edit passwords for accounts to gain access to systems in the past when people had laptops but didn't know any passwords to access them. I wonder how this works...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 04:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Means nothing of the sort. This doesn't mean Windows is changing it's kernel into something UNIX based.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 04:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

10 is ok in my book. Looks pretty and aside from it randomly forgetting my second screen exists once every few months i've no issues with it at all :paranoid:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 05:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I suspect that means Windows 10 might be harder to hack than Windows XP and 7. I've used ubuntu to access the windows registry and edit passwords for accounts to gain access to systems in the past when people had laptops but didn't know any passwords to access them. I wonder how this works...

Honestly I really don't expect it to be much different in terms of that, I'm almost willing to bet that they're just going to run it as a program vs a full blown shell...

Just by Microsofts track record, heh =]

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 08:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I figured if they integrate it with PowerShell there's probably more to it than that.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Completely uninteresting for most people. Even for most people here.

I don't understand what it means at all. Could you post a tl;dr, please?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 09:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Ubuntu for Windows

keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 10:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Quote:
Ubuntu for Windows

keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer?

:olo: :up:

Couldn't have said it better my self

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 04-01-2016 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is pretty awesome, Linux command-line is far nicer than Windows (and I use windows 99.999% of the time) :up:

Microsoft post-Gates are doing a huge amount of very nice community stuff. I was reading Slashdot last night and someone summed it up:

Quote:
Dude VS 2015 is the most multiplatform version ever. No I am not paid by MS.

After Gates and Balmer, MS has made Android SDK and emulators, ported Clang to Windows, added GIT and git hub, adding Mac OSX and Linux to VS online, added support for making Xaramin and mono apps, made CentOS and Ubuntu virtual machines for Azure, open sourced and ported Powershell to Linux, made MS code editor and ported it to Linux and MacOSX, open sourced their .NET compiler and frameworks, made VS 2015 for free aka community edition which is not crippled!

Oh and ubuntu is going to run with bash on Windows 10 with apt-get. Oh and SQL Server is on Linux now too!

No folks you did not misread what I wrote.

Linux FOSS is not an OS but a religion for many on here. If you have strong blinders on how is anyone different from a creationist denying evolution?

I am not paid or a troll but if I had to choose between Oracle and MS, I would pick MS in 2015. Something unthinkable in 2001 when I too believed in the theology of free software liberation and wanted MS to die. But, like IBM things changed with competition and I grew up too.

MS may not have historically made the best operating systems. But, their business software is very strong. I see Visual Studio as being more open and better in recent releases

https://developers.slashdot.org/comment ... d=51816615

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.