Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        NVIDIA Pascal


Post new topicReply to topic
Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC




Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: NVIDIA Pascal

redline
redline
Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 1866
PostPosted: 08-22-2016 05:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Tsakali wrote:
Looks like the prices haven't dropped at all this past month or so. I'm glad I baught it a while back and enjoying it, instead of hopelessly waiting for a better deal. By the looks of it, unless amd releases anything good, the prices are here to stay.... It's selling very well , so what's their incentive to drop pricing?


You were expecting Pascal prices to drop?




Top
                 

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
Joined: 03 Dec 1999
Posts: 19997
PostPosted: 08-27-2016 12:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


picked this up Friday

in win 303
asus z170-a
i7-6700k
corsair h60 - got it free
g.skill 2x16 gb
950 pro 256
evga gtx 1070 ftw
evga supernova g2 750w

runs awesome, will post bench later

nn :yawn:



_________________
[WYD]SoM


Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43443
PostPosted: 08-27-2016 08:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


My friends are mocking me for still not having bought a new PC. My new excuse is that I consider waiting for a decent laptop. I know that's always going to be at a premium price, but I realize that the way I use my current computer (a laptop as well) is something that can pretty much only be done with a laptop. Besides, if I were to buy a PC, I'd have to buy everything; monitor and keyboard included.




Top
                 

redline
redline
Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 1866
PostPosted: 08-27-2016 10:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
My friends are mocking me for still not having bought a new PC. My new excuse is that I consider waiting for a decent laptop. I know that's always going to be at a premium price, but I realize that the way I use my current computer (a laptop as well) is something that can pretty much only be done with a laptop. Besides, if I were to buy a PC, I'd have to buy everything; monitor and keyboard included.


XPS 13 :up:




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 43443
PostPosted: 08-27-2016 11:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Only has an integrated Intel GPU?
I'm aiming for something running a GTX1070 instead.




Top
                 

Finno-Persian Legend
Finno-Persian Legend
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 16283
PostPosted: 08-29-2016 04:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote





Top
                 

redline
redline
Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 1866
PostPosted: 08-31-2016 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
Only has an integrated Intel GPU?
I'm aiming for something running a GTX1070 instead.

Acer's new curved laptop rocks GTX 1080 SLI, G-Sync




Top
                 

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Posts: 848
PostPosted: 08-31-2016 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Pascal sucks, du Opfer! :olo: :up:



_________________
Die Vitamine sind in der Dose gefangen!!!


Top
                 

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
Joined: 11 Mar 2015
Posts: 848
PostPosted: 08-31-2016 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


ToxicBug wrote:
Eraser wrote:
Only has an integrated Intel GPU?
I'm aiming for something running a GTX1070 instead.

Acer's new curved laptop rocks GTX 1080 SLI, G-Sync

Never, never never ever buy a ACER! Acer is known for extreme heat problems. Had 2 ACER LT´s that ended up in tha river :D



_________________
Die Vitamine sind in der Dose gefangen!!!


Top
                 

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
Joined: 08 May 2002
Posts: 17167
PostPosted: 08-31-2016 11:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


My next laptop I'd just be happy with something that gives me fan control.



_________________
. : You knows you knows


Top
                 

opa!
opa!
Joined: 02 Mar 2000
Posts: 14656
PostPosted: 09-01-2016 05:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


ToxicBug wrote:
Tsakali wrote:
Looks like the prices haven't dropped at all this past month or so. I'm glad I baught it a while back and enjoying it, instead of hopelessly waiting for a better deal. By the looks of it, unless amd releases anything good, the prices are here to stay.... It's selling very well , so what's their incentive to drop pricing?


You were expecting Pascal prices to drop?


only because when they announced them, they quoted much lower prices.

But maybe this is the norm? I haven't been following v-card trends for a few years b4 this generation

And it's not like I was the only one expecting drops... people seem to be kinda ticked off about it




Top
                 

redline
redline
Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 1866
PostPosted: 09-01-2016 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Tsakali wrote:
only because when they announced them, they quoted much lower prices.

But maybe this is the norm? I haven't been following v-card trends for a few years b4 this generation

And it's not like I was the only one expecting drops... people seem to be kinda ticked off about it

Nvidia said $699 and $449 USD for GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 reference editions, respectively.

What prices are you seeing?




Top
                 

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
Joined: 10 Dec 1999
Posts: 12240
PostPosted: 09-01-2016 06:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


So the 70's are the same price as the 80's used to start at? I can see how people might be upset. The 970 was $350 and the 980 was $500 iirc.




Top
                 

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
Joined: 08 May 2002
Posts: 17167
PostPosted: 09-01-2016 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


What about the 60 ? (there is a 60, innit ?), do they compete in their price bracket ?



_________________
. : You knows you knows


Top
                 

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
Joined: 03 Dec 1999
Posts: 19997
PostPosted: 09-01-2016 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


1060 - 3gb - $274+ cdn
1060 - 6gb - $349+ cdn

do your own conversion :p



_________________
[WYD]SoM


Top
                 

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
Joined: 08 May 2002
Posts: 17167
PostPosted: 09-01-2016 10:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


There's a nice little gap for the AMD to sit in.

nvidia hasnt really got a current gen card between 250ish usd and 450 ?



_________________
. : You knows you knows


Top
                 

redline
redline
Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 1866
PostPosted: 09-01-2016 11:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


shaft wrote:
So the 70's are the same price as the 80's used to start at? I can see how people might be upset. The 970 was $350 and the 980 was $500 iirc.


$329 USD for GTX 970 and $549 USD for GTX 980 as per Wikipedia.

GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 are still selling great.

By the way, please note that I quoted prices for the Founders Edition i.e. reference boards. Those you can definitely find and buy right now. In theory the MSRP is $379 USD and $599 USD respectively for the cheapest custom AIB versions.

Gaming video card prices are indeed increasing a lot, especially at the high end since AMD doesn't compete there at all. First it was the $999 USD GTX Titan and now $1200 USD Titan X Pascal.

For mid-range cards it's a different story.

RX 480 4GB is $199 USD
RX 480 8GB is $239 USD
GTX 1060 3GB is $199 USD
GTX 1060 6GB is $249 USD ($299 USD Founders Edition)

GTX 1060 is faster than RX 480. It's comparable to GTX 980.




Top
                 

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
Joined: 08 May 2002
Posts: 17167
PostPosted: 09-01-2016 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


The $200 gap is pretty much the difference between 1080 and 4k, innit ?



_________________
. : You knows you knows


Top
                 

redline
redline
Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 1866
PostPosted: 09-01-2016 12:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


losCHUNK wrote:
The $200 gap is pretty much the difference between 1080 and 4k, innit ?

A GTX 1070 is enough for 1080p @ 120 fps for almost any title maxed out. For 4K @ 120 fps you need 2x GTX 1080. 2x Titan X Pascal is better.




Top
                 

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
Joined: 08 May 2002
Posts: 17167
PostPosted: 09-01-2016 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


4k for poorons ? :)

I don't think the 1060 would be comfortable at 4k ?, but up in the $450/1070 mark it makes it manageable ?

edit: nvm just noticed you were talking about the 1070. Would've thought the 1060 would be enough to nail pretty much all 1080p titles.



_________________
. : You knows you knows


Top
                 

opa!
opa!
Joined: 02 Mar 2000
Posts: 14656
PostPosted: 09-01-2016 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


ToxicBug wrote:
Tsakali wrote:
only because when they announced them, they quoted much lower prices.

But maybe this is the norm? I haven't been following v-card trends for a few years b4 this generation

And it's not like I was the only one expecting drops... people seem to be kinda ticked off about it

Nvidia said $699 and $449 USD for GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 reference editions, respectively.

What prices are you seeing?

here is one I found, and they are not missinformed... this is the info nvidia was passing around
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-launch/

title:

"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Announced For $379 US..."




Top
                 

redline
redline
Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 1866
PostPosted: 09-01-2016 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Tsakali wrote:
here is one I found, and they are not missinformed... this is the info nvidia was passing around
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-launch/

title:

"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Announced For $379 US..."


Yeah it's $379 MSRP (hard to find) and $449 for Founders Edition.

You can see a few custom GTX 1070 models here for $409.99 USD.




Top
                 

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
Joined: 03 Dec 1999
Posts: 19997
PostPosted: 09-02-2016 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


just added a set of Audioengine's A5+

goosebumps :D



_________________
[WYD]SoM


Top
                 

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
Joined: 10 Dec 1999
Posts: 12240
PostPosted: 09-23-2016 01:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


how are they?




Top
                 

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
Joined: 03 Dec 1999
Posts: 19997
PostPosted: 09-23-2016 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


shaft wrote:
how are they?


LOUD and AWESOME, i'm going deaf and i hadn't cranked up the volume to full, shit is falling of my shelf



_________________
[WYD]SoM


Top
                 
Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion


Post new topic Reply to topic


cron
Quake3World.com
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group