Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Battlefield 1

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Battlefield 1

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-06-2016 12:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

White Stripes edition

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-06-2016 01:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gameplay footage or Dice can fuck off. Although 1942 was brilliant, so if it turns out to be like that, maybe I'll give it a go.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-06-2016 01:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whoa! That looked intense...

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-06-2016 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A lot of that is gameplay footage, it looks pretty fun imo, they're bringing back persistent squads which makes me happy before I've even played it.

wtf is with the white stripes shit tho? where's my battlefield music?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-06-2016 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
A lot of that is gameplay footage,

Well then that green smoke was pretty impressive. But I'd rather see footage that isn't cut into 0.75-second long snippets, TYVM. :up:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-06-2016 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I'm wondering if the airship and the train will be more than just set pieces from the single player...possibly progressing targets like the AT ATs in Battlefront?

The planes could be really fun, I mean they'll be shit, but there won't be any lock-on AA which totally kills planes and choppers' efficacy in the more recent games.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 05-06-2016 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
wtf is with the white stripes shit tho? where's my battlefield music?

I really liked what they did with it :shrug:

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 05-06-2016 01:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dice responds to the new Call of Duty trailer which everyone hated..

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-06-2016 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I liked that version of the song, too, but it doesn't go well with WW1/WW2 stuff.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-07-2016 03:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do they have a level where you sit in a trench for 3 weeks doing absolutely nothing?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-07-2016 03:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh god, if their first DLC pack is an in-game re-enactment of a Blackadder Goes Fourth episode, then this is insta-buy for me :D

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-07-2016 04:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmmm...looks interesting I guess

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 05-07-2016 07:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Do they have a level where you sit in a trench for 3 weeks doing absolutely nothing?

Only three weeks?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-07-2016 08:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They didnt want to give up their sun loungers, they were fighting the Germans innit.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-07-2016 08:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This game will be shit as fuck too. Like, really bad. Theyre gonna try and CoDify it then sprinkle it with nostalgia. Gonna be storming trenches like a ww2 shooter, have a dramatic play through scene where the brutality of war is realised in a battlefield like the Somme.

with that said, not played a ww2 shooter in a while.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-09-2016 02:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I for one am quite interested in this, quite like the idea of a WW1 setting but then i have long found this a fascinating conflict, so i'm biased. Also, i'm dying for a new proper shooter and Battlefield has been good to me in the past.

And Chunk, Verdun was a lot more interesting than the Somme, which was mostly a depressing repeat of strategies that had been proven over and over again to fail miserably. At Verdun at least one party tried something completely new and incredibly cynical, which resulted in the craziest battle the world has ever seen (and the biggest, if you go by sheer numbers of troops involved and take into account the shockingly small size of the battlefield).

Oh that Ludendorf guy, he gets a lot of flack but i'm of the opinion he was a great military commander who was 2 decades ahead of his time - until he kind of lost his shit at the end of the war that is.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-09-2016 06:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Battlefield 2142 was the only BF game worth playing.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-09-2016 06:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lies. They were actually all very much excellent except for the last two iterations.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-09-2016 06:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
I for one am quite interested in this, quite like the idea of a WW1 setting but then i have long found this a fascinating conflict, so i'm biased. Also, i'm dying for a new proper shooter and Battlefield has been good to me in the past.

And Chunk, Verdun was a lot more interesting than the Somme, which was mostly a depressing repeat of strategies that had been proven over and over again to fail miserably. At Verdun at least one party tried something completely new and incredibly cynical, which resulted in the craziest battle the world has ever seen (and the biggest, if you go by sheer numbers of troops involved and take into account the shockingly small size of the battlefield).

Oh that Ludendorf guy, he gets a lot of flack but i'm of the opinion he was a great military commander who was 2 decades ahead of his time - until he kind of lost his shit at the end of the war that is.

Aye :up:, that from the sounds was what this war was all about, complete disreguard for life and repeat tactics. They were essentially still trying to use tactics developed for muskets, single file march across open land. Verdun was a massacre though. In this war you actually had cavalry charges, on horseback, through artillery and into machine gun fire, I mean fuck about. The engineers digging the trenches would try to intercept each other on both sides, so when they heard each other they would try to use explosives to kill each other, they were actually playing an irl bomberman.

I think that's why Winters (from BoB) is so heavily praised n all, because of his flanking when taking guns on D day.

You talking about Lundendorfs Hitler esque counter attack n all ? (don't know much of the dude). It was also a glaringly good example of the class divide, 100s of thousands of men being sent to their death by... well a Stephen Fry.

Last edited by losCHUNK on 05-09-2016 06:47 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-09-2016 06:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:
with that said, not played a ww2 shooter in a while.

Think a lot of the fun of WW2 era guff, was the slightly clunky, oft unwieldy weapons. Most of the modern stuff has twenty guns that are all functionally identical. Unloading an M1 to get another clip back in sooner may have sucked IRL, but it made for a great game mechanic.

Sci-fi needs to come back proper tbh. Or cyberpunk, steampunk, or anything that would enable some more imaginitive combat options than pointy click and rat-atat-tat.

Aye, also you had a pretty limited choice of weapons. Want an automatic weapon ?, Thompson... Pistol ?, Colt or Luger. It gave all the games a weird familiarity even when going across studios, it was almost like you were playing a different individual each time but in the same war. Shocking, I know.

and games need to be more imaginative anyway. It's why HL3 is stuck in mothball :)

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-09-2016 06:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Verdun was a massacre, but an intended one - Ludendorf meant to bleed the French army with the intention of causing a catastrophic collapse and so went on the attack in a location that they had to defend for various reasons, military, economical and cultural. Purest and most cynical example of an attrition battle in the war, which was a collection of attrition battles. The eyewitness accounts for Verdun are absolutely haunting, it must have been pure hell.

It nearly worked though - halfway the French were almost broken and the situation was saved only because the freshly replaced French commander (Petain, of WW2 fame) came up with a sophisticated way of relieving frontline troops. At the end of the battle a ridiculous percentage of French troops had 'done' Verdun.

What was cool about Ludendorf is that he was big on combined forces and logistics. One of his main dudes was a guy called Bruchmuller (nickname Durchbruchmuller, breakthroughmuller), an artillery officer who invented some really ingenious protocols for shooting cannons, some of which are still used today.

Ludendorf was best on the defense though; he invented something called strategic depth, where the first lines would be lightly manned by scouts with orders to retreat after firing a few bullets and the no man's land would not only be very much extended but also booby trapped to hell and back - using his main forces to lie in wait kilometers beyond the front. Attackers would find the start easy going, then started taking more and more casualties as they pushed on, and just when they were out of reach of their own artillery they'd be counterattacked by fresh enemy troops.

And in the last year he invented storm troops, who for the first time made use of essentially the infantry tactics we still use today. His final offensive relied heavily on these new troops and nearly broke the back of the combined allied forces, taking more ground than they had ever before and almost threatening Paris at some point. After that one failed because of overreach, lack of supplies and troops he became a nervous wreck and was pretty much done.

/history

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-09-2016 07:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I get a little carried away!

Anyway Chunk, check out the four or five episodes of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History (goddamnit i love you for reccomending this Puff) about WW1, it's highly excellent stuff.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-09-2016 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This guy is making videos about WW1 at the same rate as the war took place, only 100 years removed. They started back in 2014 and are around week 91 so far. :up:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-09-2016 08:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool stuff, thanks :)

The fort Douaumont story is crazy, an ultraweird little episode in the midst of a massive battle. He makes little mention of it, but it was basically captured by one enterprising German.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/15/battlefield-1-open-beta-starts-august-31st/

You can sign up to their email list to get access on the 28th. Gotta install Origin, though. :(
https://www.battlefield.com/community/insider

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-15-2016 04:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 06:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This might be the first decent BF game since 2142, think I'll get it for make glorious PC benefits.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 08:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

edit: Xeros ^ :up:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 11:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The alpha was pretty fun. Can't wait.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 08-16-2016 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's with the ending on the gameplay trailer video? :confused:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-17-2016 06:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
The alpha was pretty fun. Can't wait.

Grow up...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-17-2016 08:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quit spamming me with Doom invites Geoff, some of us aren't up at 9am to play video games and watch you rage.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-17-2016 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Invites incoming!!!1...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-17-2016 10:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
Invites incoming!!!1...

Jewish Dentist Batman wanna play Doom?
Add me on Steam: Captain Iglo (Jeah, tha dude with the three golden fingers)
:olo: :olo:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-17-2016 03:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He's either scared or working like a wage slave biatch... :olo: ...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.