Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Emoji PC-ness

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Emoji PC-ness

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-10-2016 11:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been completely flabbergasted by the political correctness surrounding Unicode emojis. I just read that Google proposed new female emojis because women supposedly are underrepresented in the current set of emojis.

First there was the thing with emojis supposedly being all white, so they added different skin colors and now there are too few female emojis. I dunno, but one day when they still were called 'smileys' they were genderless colored marbles expressing emotions. Just look at the set of smileys we got here. At what point was there someone who said "yeah, it's be a great idea to introduce race, gender and social status in there". What the fuck, right?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-10-2016 11:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll just grab my popcorn and wait for the torrent of PC knights that say gender isn't a binary thing. Fuck those people too.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-10-2016 11:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's like with Lego minifigs. Their goal was to create a raceless, emotionless and mostly sexless set of characters, but along the years they became more and more diverse. Problem with diversity is that you'll always exclude some type of people one way or another.

fuck these morons is what I'm saying.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-10-2016 11:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They 'fixed' something that didn't need fixing. It's this pursuit of having a set of all-inclusive icons while that's exactly where they came from.

I also wonder what emotion a picture of, say, a plumber is supposed to express. In what context would you use an icon like that? I can only imagine it being used by morons that type things like "I called the [picture of plumber] today".

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 12:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
it's like with Lego minifigs.

I wanted to buy a Kylo Ren minifigure on ebay... twenty fucking quid for a fucking Lego figure?!!! I'd no idea these things had become so collectible and expensive :dork:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 01:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's cause he's not seperately sold, only as part of a set (75104 and 75139).

Seperate minifigs usually go for like 3 euro

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 01:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:offended:

...I think this means you need to post a picture of your collection!

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 02:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh, I only have a ANH X-Wing with Pilot Luke and R2, a Headhunter with generic rebel pilot, Leia fig and a 3po.

And a collection of random storm troopers and minifighters, scattered through my son's buckets o lego

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 03:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know... when I did the breakout room I went there with a friend and he was meeting up with some of his friends that I didn't really know. One of his friends wife started whining about this and that while we were waiting in a small boardroom. They gave us mind puzzles to do while we waited but she just complained about random shit the entire time.

Once they gave us the presentation, mostly stuff about please don't destroy our rooms we went into the lobby to go to the rooms where the game took place. At this point, the woman who'd been complaining started going on about how she didn't like enclosed rooms and wouldn't be able to take part in the activity. She actively tried to dissuade her husband from going too.

Basically at this point I just started ignoring her completely and we went ahead without her. The larger the group, the more you'll find attention whores making a fuss for no other reason than to grab attention. She'd just spent 30 minutes a room smaller than the one we went in to play the game and never said shit about it until it was time to start playing. She wasn't claustrophobic, she just wanted to be "special".

That's what people like this are, they don't give a rats ass about diversity. They just want to people to pay attention to them by being self appointed pillars of morality on subjects that don't need morality injected into it.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 03:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inb4 transgender emojis

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 05:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This thing is no joke man, I actually got PTSD from yellow smileys. True story.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Video game designer gets called racist for not having diggers in his game -

Kinda relevant ?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The pendulum of political correctness has swung too far in the other direction.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 10:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

we have plenty of diversity in our icons

:dork: = disabled
:ninja: = muslim
:mad: = native american
:) = asian
:miffed: = middle eastern
:paranoid: = canadian
:cry: = feminist
:idea: = smart people
:tard: = dumb people
:owned: = chavs

totally covered

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 10:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:dts: = sperg

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 10:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:owned: = english person
:yawn: = mexican
:smirk: = stroke survivor
:puke: = woman

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:o - Red skin
:toothy: - Chinky
:ninja: - Rag head
:shrug: - Kraut
:dork: - American

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-11-2016 07:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gwamps

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-12-2016 12:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:drool: perv
:question: kracus

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-12-2016 04:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:rtcw: Nazi's

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-12-2016 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:clownboat: = Captain Spaulding
:alert: + >:D = Josef Fritzel

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 05-16-2016 09:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I'll just grab my popcorn and wait for the torrent of PC knights that say gender isn't a binary thing. Fuck those people too.

it isn't, though

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 05-16-2016 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't understand getting up in arms about trying to be more inclusive. It doesn't really affect you, so who gives a shit?

It's weird to see devs defend their shit like that. It probably doesn't impact the bottom line until they get involved and make a big shit storm about it. You don't have to give a shit about what people think or feel, nor justify every criticism with a response. Seems like a lot of people forget that or something, and it's the best way to deal with over sensitive people if you can't stand them.

It's super easy to troll people these days, too bad I'm all old and shitty now. Young me with a working dick would be having a dang field day with this shit.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-16-2016 12:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
I don't understand getting up in arms about trying to be more inclusive. It doesn't really affect you, so who gives a shit?

It's weird to see devs defend their shit like that. It probably doesn't impact the bottom line until they get involved and make a big shit storm about it. You don't have to give a shit about what people think or feel, nor justify every criticism with a response. Seems like a lot of people forget that or something, and it's the best way to deal with over sensitive people if you can't stand them.

It's super easy to troll people these days, too bad I'm all old and shitty now. Young me with a working dick would be having a dang field day with this shit.

You're right about inclusiveness not affecting me, but I see a few things that rub me the wrong way. First thing is a very small minority of people (in this case potentially limited to a few Google devs) speaking for a large group of people (all women). I don't believe there actually has been a substantially sizeable group of women complaining about the lack of female smileys.

Second, more important thing is that it's part of a bigger trend that does affect me. Like I whimsically described before, if you're a white, straight male, in a growing number of situations, you're automatically regarded as probably racist without any idea of what it is to be discriminated against.

Third thing is that it all seems so counter-productive. They could've adopted a small but effective set of smileys like we have here on Q3W. Even throw cucumbers and flowers and baseball gloves in there for all I care. But none had gender or ethnicity. They threw both gender and ethnicity in there and suddenly people felt left out. Now they're patching. Throwing in various skin colors and women emojis. The net result is that more specific groups of people will start feeling left out. Next its the non-binary gender folk. Or women with short hair. Or people with birth defects in their face. Old people. Babies. Muslims. Jews. Christians. The end result is that there will always be some group of people feeling left out. So to me, while it's not exactly affecting me personally, it seems such a backward, misguided attempt at inclusion that it does warrant it's own note of criticism.

So in short, I'm not necessarily complaining about including female emojis, I'm complaining about giving emojis a gender and ethnicity in the first place. That is a recepy for exclusion.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-16-2016 05:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have never felt the need to use an emoji. Is it really so much better to have a picture of a farmer than it is to just write the goddamn word? It certainly takes more time to hunt for it from among the list of bajillions (I counted) of emojis that exist now?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-16-2016 08:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think we're getting old and out of touch with them younguns, Transient :(

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-16-2016 09:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You tried speaking to kids these days ?. Thank fuck.

I wasn't even that old when I discovered that everyone under the age of 21, including myself, was a waste of blood and organs.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.