Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The Cultural Implosion Catalogue

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The Cultural Implosion Catalogue

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 03:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

u mad?

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 03:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Quote:
Mandatory training for students about diversity and inequality
Voluntary training for teachers about diversity and inequality
Mandatory training for teachers about diversity and inequality
Voluntary training for other employees about diversity and inequality
Mandatory training for other employees about diversity and inequality
A recognizable (physical/organizational) space where experiences about exclusion can be shared among people (a 'safe space').

Err, so..?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 03:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Skinny on this one, beloved Dutchies? Got given the gist of it, but seems like all this shit is coming your way? :smirk:

Quote:
Mandatory training for students about diversity and inequality
Voluntary training for teachers about diversity and inequality
Mandatory training for teachers about diversity and inequality
Voluntary training for other employees about diversity and inequality
Mandatory training for other employees about diversity and inequality
A recognizable (physical/organizational) space where experiences about exclusion can be shared among people (a 'safe space').

The article lacks so much context that it's impossible to draw any conclusions from it. And it's a GeenStijl article. They aren't to be taken seriously anyway.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 04:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Context: GeenStijl is a popular right wing website / medium (they do TV too) aimed at people <40.

When GeenStijl first started they pioneered this weird Ali G style of interviewing (ask a politician absurd questions then surprise him with a serious one, get a bunch of absurd answers and a statement someone would have never made otherwise. Presto, news!). Back then i was of the opinion this actually added something to the national conversation in politics, they were the only ones who could cut through the bullshit banalities every politician likes to utter. But media training has since adapted and this trick no longer works very well.

Then there's the website, which is even more poisonous then their TV stuff, it's just... it's weird. Over the years they developed their own lingo, they intentionally misspell certain words (which is then enthusiastically copied by the folks on their forum, which is how you recognise a sympathiser) and it's all very very angry stuff. By people who have nothing to be angry about; mostly young white males with jobs and an education.

Last edited by Ryoki on 06-07-2016 04:26 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 05:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thought of naming Breitbart but it's pretty radically different still, GeenStijl is more clever, less serious and far less harmful - can't really think of a perfect fitting English language equivalent.

And wow, well, okay. I'm not sure i agree man - no feminist ever gave me trouble and i've never come across a leftie that appeared to be itching for a totalitarian state. And what's wrong with saying we live in a patriarchy? There's more to say for that stamenent than against it.... it all kind of escapes me! :)

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 05:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ey maybe you only see what you want to see

selective visioning ey

perhaps a comfort zone thing ...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 06:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
to the point where if you even mention the clusterfuck of the gate which darest not be spoken.

GamerGate is an interesting example.
It has turned in such an incredible cluster fuck that you would be a fool to associate yourself with it. There's still people claiming it's about game journalism ethics and stuff like that but let's not kid ourselves: that's just nonsense.

I can't argue about Sarkeesian because I don't know enough about her background, statements or what she's done. I do believe, however, that it's safe to assume she hasn't done anything that warrants death threats. I've seen a few of her feminist frequency videos, and while I don't agree with many of the points she makes or the way she makes them, I do feel that the underlying issue is real.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 06:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
It is a minority. It is certainly not all women, all blacks, all transgenders etc... there are many that do speak up against this trash themselves, like Youtubers Lina K, or Some Black Guy. And aye, you do need to delve somewhat into the 'world of social media', to see all the Twitter wars, Trigglypuffs, Youtube feuds and whatnot that have become what is mainstream online culture today. And a lot of it's one bunch of daft cunts calling another bunch of daft cunts daft cunts.

Ah, right - i miss things like this completely due to studiously avoiding social media like the goddamn plague. Use linkedin (about once a year) but that's about it. Sometimes i miss invitations to parties too, small price to pay. Hence, i see no problem whatsoever.

Give it a go sir, life becomes much more calm and zen without facebook and what have you :up:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
The left hates EVERYONE.

When you throw out generalizations like this one, it makes it hard to read anything you write with a critical mind.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Eraser wrote:
GamerGate is an interesting example.
It has turned in such an incredible cluster fuck that you would be a fool to associate yourself with it. There's still people claiming it's about game journalism ethics and stuff like that but let's not kid ourselves: that's just nonsense.

I can't argue about Sarkeesian because I don't know enough about her background, statements or what she's done. I do believe, however, that it's safe to assume she hasn't done anything that warrants death threats. I've seen a few of her feminist frequency videos, and while I don't agree with many of the points she makes or the way she makes them, I do feel that the underlying issue is real.

Very interesting. I ignored it at the time, tbh. Didn't care. Reviewers get pampered for favourable wordage and later, some dumb fuck said dumb shit :shrug:

Then, I watched the dumb shit. And it is duuuuumb. So, I'm sorry to say, assumptions based on the backlash to a backlash to a backlash are thus, incorrect.

Now, it's important to recognise the gestation period of GG. Remember Mountain Dew guy? That's probably one of the most prominant examples of roundabout the point that gamers were, at large, getting royally fed-up with advertsing and general cynical bullshit from the industry. And that's a list that just goes on and on forever, from 10/10 games released broken, reviewers getting plush treatment and casting doubt on their integrity, to the fake E3 footage, micro-transactions, day one DLC and all that bollocks. Then, Mass Effect 3 ending with all the satisfaction of a slightly moist passing of gas (unless you bought DLC ofc), happened - where a writer who happened to be a woman was harassed, trolled and - trolls being what trolls are - got called every hurtful thing from the Big Book of Trolling, including things that took into account her gender, to nobody's surprise. 'GAMERS ARE DEAD' hits the headlines and Kotaku becomes an even bigger joke than it was in the place. If you are a gamer, you are now a misogynistic, death-threatening scum-bag sexist, who hates women. And if you disagree with this supposition, then you must be one of them.

Nothing else matters now. Gamers industry gripes are not the discussion. This is now about 'hate' and 'misogyny' towards women from 'gamers' and nothing else. You must acknowledge the hate, or you will be ejected from the conversation.

Next up, Grayson gets caught out for banging an indie dev, whilst also promoting her game multiple times on Eurogamer (this being where RPS got shit on it's shoes also), when he was exposed by a jealous ex and thus the 'Quinnspiracy' began. Both parties got an absolute shit-canning from enraged keyboard warriors the world over (imo, the guy got some 'tang and didn't review the game, so no biggie. though, he should have disclosed the conflict of interest in saying anything for pay about her product, even if only to cover his arse. is it 'just vidya games', pretty much. was it still objectively unethical journalism? of course it was).

Noone could walk in at this point and really have the faintest idea what was going on. What you did see was the crux of all that came before, with some Maximum Effort trolling in full effect. It's now actually shit-posters vs SJWs, guilt vs victimhood. Rabid defense against a whirlwind force of reactionary, accusatory antics from both sides. Nowt but a no-holds barred shit-show - and the media of course, in it's never-quenched thirst for hits and want to justify it's own morals, rode this immense wave of digital excrement like a Vulcan who'd missed his last six pon farrs.

I may have some of it a bit jumblied, but that's roughly it. Last, albeit not least, we have the brave and plaid-clad, self-proclaimed adversary of the patriachy, Anita Sarkeesian who somehow raised $30,000 per video to 'critique' gaming, via the narrowest and most painfully ignorant feminist ideological lens imaginable. Seriously, watch this shit and just see. If one hasn't yet smelled the mold-eaten stench of what's left from the sad, self-important tripe that second-wave extremist feminism already failed to peddle, that is her 'work', then frankly, they have no clause, or cause to be critical of anyone against it. Of course though, she cropped up on gaming sites all over, right from the point the Kickstarter went live and she nails herself down upon the backlash train to victim-pay by the tits. What you have now is anonymous troll quotes being held up in defense by people who think they should be immune to all criticism (see: comments disabled - so as to make this a 'safe space' nobody can speak, but me). And anything considering itself beyond criticism, is historically proven time and again to be bad. But no. She's the good see. Because awww, poor her, she gets such hate off those anonymous internet people she'll never meet in her life, ever.

Now there's 'Reclaim the Internet', remember. Even if none of the above matters, have a look into that shit. When free-speech dies, it'll be at the hands of those who want it for themselves and their like, but oh, noone else. Their speech is hate speech.

So yeah. It's a far bigger pot of poopy than many realise. Or may even care about. And that's fine. Just be cautious picking a team, when not knowing what the full game's been about. And the game is now: Talk shit on the internet and get shit back for it. Those who end up with the most and smelliest of shit on their side, get to claim victory. GG all. WP.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

way to go geoff. :up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's worth pointing out that most of this extreme shit has the support of only tiny numbers of women, but its newsworthiness exaggerates its importance and impact

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Is this ironic intent, or memes? Did your 'left' label get offended? :drool:

Fine. I overgeneralised 'the left'; after overgeneralising 'the right', though. Thought it was quite clear I was referring to the far sides of either. Bloody collectivists :rolleyes:

That's kind of my point. You muddle many valid arguments when overgeneralizations get thrown out there, because people will naturally gravitate to the most sensationalistic thing you say. I don't mean to say I think you think that way, mind you. I just don't think it's productive to get your panties in such a twist (sexist!) about the vocal minority. Sure, there are some examples that seem pretty absurd, like that NASA scientist, I remember when that story first broke. But to say "poor Anita, boo hoo" is to marginalize her whole cause. Sure, she's not the best feminist voice, but there needs to be more, because sexism still runs rampant in video games. And she doesn't just get "hate" from anonymous posters. She gets death threats, creepy phone calls, she's been doxxed, as have her family members, and she's had to move twice at least. When does her concern for safety become legitimate? When she's shot? You wrote a well thought out and coherent paragraph about her which I mostly agree with, but then ended it with a snarky comment which takes up all the oxygen in the room, so to speak.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 10:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis, why do you hate women?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 10:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
way to geoff. :up:

Opportunity missed tithead

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
Memphis, why do you hate women?

Well he plays video games longer than most people work and sleep during a week so it was probably easier to become a bitter right-wing moron than to ask a girl out.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 10:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:idea:

these long sentences will make people believe i'm not a "smearer"

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 10:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hold up fuckos the guys point is on the money.

We give a soap box to any dick that has a voice, back in the 90s notions such as violence in video games was the worst you could worry about but now you got shit like cisgendered groups or feminist movements with an ever growing support. You can argue that this 'nanny' behaviour to ensure to one is ever offended by anything results in shit like nursery rhymes getting reworded in schools from ba ba black sheep, or going to jail or getting fined for trolling on twitter ffs. At the very least its forced companys to adopt procedures they wouldn't normally employ and it is the result of extreme left movements.

Don't come at me with that white privilege shit either. I've been to England.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 11:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh no memph i dont think you are compelled to "smear" you dont seem to have the autisms in my opinions anyways.

i think you are a fabulously entertaining and talented writer!

let me know when you write some books so i can buy them!

i'm serios ey <3

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 12:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

your sentences are totally legit!

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yup gifted wordmaster for real!

and i dont say that because i kinda agree that the lefters are haters, i dont generally think they're all bad people, they're just kinda slow and "easy" with uncontrollable emotions they deny exist, their buttons get pushed and theyre off and running so to speak.

no i say that because thats how i feel about your writing since day one.

truthfully tho i guess i'm am using the opportunity to rub some salt too! :P

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 12:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did Trump break plained ?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You have the best writing, the greatest. The lefters are haters but let me tell you, you have the best writing.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 12:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol pretty sure the only peeps chump broke are the ones uncontrollably raging with the foaming mouths

why you mad?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 12:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I mean in general. There's this victim mentality about you now. You used to be pretty laid back ey

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 12:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sincerity and forthrightness are not signs of victimed .

maybe overcompensating with rabid attacks are tho , if ego was in control ey

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:idea:

this gif will make people believe i dint read!

i know i would so them toos!

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained is so gotten to. keep flailing little buddy... :)

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
sincerity and forthrightness are not signs of victimed .

maybe overcompensating with rabid attacks are tho , if ego was in control ey

Don't take it personally, you never have before. And you have always held yourself to a higher level than the rest of us to be fair, I couldn't imagine you calling someone autistic for holding a point of view that isn't your own pre-trump.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This thread is an old skool FFA

Last edited by losCHUNK on 06-07-2016 12:42 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm sorry that a feminist stole your girlfriend or whatever, memphis. I know it's real hard to be a white man these days...

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 12:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
I'm sorry that a feminist stole your girlfriend or whatever, memphis. I know it's real hard to be a white man these days...

I can see your mangina from my house

edit: smell, i meant smell. dammit.

says the guy who has cried a river of tears in this and other threads lately. :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.