Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The Cultural Implosion Catalogue

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The Cultural Implosion Catalogue

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-29-2017 11:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-29-2017 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A giant fuckoff popup asks me to create an account to read that article. No thanks. :down:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-29-2017 11:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you can log in with google and unsub later ffs :|

here:

Quote:
Liberals are no strangers to confirmation bias after all

A study shows they would give up the chance to win money to avoid hearing ideas they disagree with. So much for the champions of enlightenment

By Alex Berezow

Touting slogans such as “Facts have a well-known liberal bias”, people on the Left have made clear they see themselves as the true heirs and defenders of the Enlightenment. New research, however, shows that they’re just as deluded as everybody else.

One study, published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, concluded that conservatives and liberals were equally averse to listening to opposing viewpoints on hot-button issues, such as same-sex marriage. In fact, they were willing to give up the chance to win money just to avoid the unpleasantness of hearing an opinion they disliked.

A meta-analysis of 41 studies recently published on the Social Science Research Network reached a similar conclusion: there was no difference in partisanship between liberals and conservatives. As it turns out, “open-minded” liberals are plagued by confirmation bias to the same extent as “closed-minded” conservatives.

Consider Seattle, a city that voted 87 per cent for Hillary Clinton and is proudly one of the most progressive – and well educated – in the US. A warm embrace of scientific reality doesn’t come with the territory: Seattle isn’t terribly fond of biotechnology, rejecting GMOs and even vaccines. Rwanda’s childhood polio vaccination rate is higher than Seattle’s. As for other vaccines, including MMR, only five US states have higher exemption rates than Washington State. If liberalism translated into embracing science, we would expect places like Seattle to have vaccination rates of 100 per cent. Blame for “alternative facts” and “fake news” therefore, can’t be pinned solely on the Left or Right. Both are culpable.

Alternative realities
This shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone who has followed politics in recent years. Society, fuelled by hyperpartisan news outlets and social media echo chambers, has created alternative realities for us to inhabit, full of self-reinforcing platitudes and free of any pesky information that might upset fragile world views.

That may explain the current US phenomenon of the “Regressive Left”, as University of Chicago evolutionary biologist Jerry Coyne called them, believing that – as he put it – “some positions aren’t just wrong, but [are] taboo to mention”.

The resulting absence of intellectual diversity has contributed to a toxic and intolerant American university culture. Jonathan Haidt, a social psychologist at New York University, has documented how few conservatives there are in academia. In 1990, liberal academic psychologists outnumbered conservatives 4 to 1; today, the ratio is roughly 14 to 1.

Similar ideological exclusion was on display during the recent March for Science. Some protesters held signs that read, “Science is not a liberal conspiracy.”

That’s absolutely true. It is equally true, however, that science is for everybody – liberals and conservatives, atheists and believers. Twisting science into a bludgeon for political opponents is a gross perversion of humanity’s best attempt at secular knowledge. Worse, it does grievous damage to the institution of science. Trust in science has been falling among conservatives for decades.

As it turns out, turning science into a political weapon has backfired spectacularly. The good news is that the first step toward solving any problem is to admit that we have one. These new studies are a good first step.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-30-2017 02:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What part of that article surprised you?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-30-2017 07:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what part of my post indicated that i was surprised?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-30-2017 11:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably the 'ooh'

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-30-2017 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Probably the 'ooh'

I took the :| at the end as cancelling out any impression of surprise...

I think it's very human and instinctive to fall into bunkers based on ideology, but overcoming our natural tendencies and promoting an open debate is supposed to be part of what America is about. The current political climate is one where both sides want to be 100% correct and not allow the debate... By promoting this mentality, we're doing it wrong. :confused: :confused: :confused:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-30-2017 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I literally ran across this minutes after posting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wYXw4K0A3g

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-01-2017 12:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Probably the 'ooh'

it was a short 'ooh' not a long, surprised 'ooooooooh' :|

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-01-2017 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Personally I interpreted it as more akin to the 'ooh' from 'ooh eeh ooh ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang'.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-01-2017 04:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Personally I interpreted it as more akin to the 'ooh' from 'ooh eeh ooh ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang'.

:olo: :olo: :olo:

I love this place.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-02-2017 08:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:

i meant it as more of a 'ooh-oo-pee-doop i wanna be like yoo-oop-be-doop i wanna walk talk like yoo talk like yoo

boo-boo-be-doop'

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-02-2017 08:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I took it as a reference to every fucking Pitbull song

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-18-2017 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol told

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-28-2017 11:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol canada

https://www.spencerfernando.com/2017/07 ... hip-guide/

Quote:
As reported by CTV, the new guide would divide [Canadian] citizenship into “voluntary” and “mandatory” obligations. Shockingly, while paying taxes, filling out the census, and respecting treaties are all considered “mandatory,” the new guide plans to say that “respecting the human rights of others is voluntary.”

what's gotten into liberal jesus? :dts:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-06-2017 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-08-2017 01:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:smirk:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-10-2017 04:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those guys are awesome.

Difficulty level won't affect your fighting ability but will affect pretty much every other aspect of the game and how certain characters interact with you.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-10-2017 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

in the Ivy League campus version, it's the other way around

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-20-2017 07:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you're going to give me a link to the original source so I can read the entire article, I might consider attributing any value to your post. Right now, it looks like cherry picking words to make a point.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-20-2017 07:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

as if privilege were a bad thing... :|

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-21-2017 08:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
cherry picking words to make a point.

also known as speaking or writing

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-21-2017 10:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

olo

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 09-22-2017 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
If you're going to give me a link to the original source so I can read the entire article, I might consider attributing any value to your post. Right now, it looks like cherry picking words to make a point.

http://verysmartbrothas.theroot.com/str ... 1814157214

:clownboat:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-26-2017 02:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
in the Ivy League campus version, it's the other way around

Hahah. You think it's hard for white males on ivy league campuses? :D

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-26-2017 11:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it was a joke m8 :|

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-19-2017 10:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Xpost from Lollywood

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-20-2017 12:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pedowood more like

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-20-2017 01:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

see also: underwood.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-20-2017 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-20-2017 01:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm wondering, who thought it would be a good idea to prop up a 13 year old girl like in the pic Memphis posted and make a photoshoot out of it. She looks, without a doubt, at least 20 there.

Be it 13 or 20, she'll always be eleven to me.
Get it? Eh? Eh?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-20-2017 11:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reeeeyyyyy

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-03-2017 10:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Be careful who you kiss under the mistletoe, it might be rape.

Quote:
Police have warned Christmas party goers to obtain consent before kissing under the mistletoe otherwise they may be guilty of rape.

The advice came in a tweet, since deleted, by the Police Service of Northern Ireland which has been criticised for “trivialising” sexual violence.

The force, which has 159,000 followers, tweeted on Saturday: “If you bump into that special someone under the mistletoe tonight, remember that without consent it is rape #SeasonsGreetings”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12 ... -rape/amp/

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-03-2017 11:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In for a penny, in for a pound

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-04-2017 09:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Be careful who you kiss under the mistletoe, it might be rape.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12 ... -rape/amp/

it's a concern when the police don't actually know what rape is :|

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.