Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Quake Champions

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake Champions

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 06-12-2016 07:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who is ready?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-12-2016 08:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reboot or Sequel? Who cares?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 06-12-2016 08:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bring it

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-12-2016 08:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ooh yess! ;)
Reminds me on the Q3A Intro Movie.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-12-2016 09:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-12-2016 09:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Quake Champions features a roster of unique characters, each with their own distinctive abilities

Sigh... someone has been playing too much Overwatch over at Bethesda.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-12-2016 09:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Quote:
Quake Champions features a roster of unique characters, each with their own distinctive abilities

Just about to post this myself :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-12-2016 09:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I saw a comment at Eurogamer by someone who said something along the lines of this not being ID Software enthusiasticly rekindling the Quake franchise but rather it being a jump on the hero shooter bandwagon.

I'll reserve judgment until I've seen more of it. Right now, I have the feeling this might turn out to be a fine game, but just Quake in name.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-12-2016 09:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I have the feeling this might turn out to be a fine game, but just Quake in name.

Exactly. Have some balls and put a new IP out there and leave Quake alone unless you are actually making a Quake game...he says after remembering Enemy Territory: Quake Wars still exists

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 06-12-2016 09:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hero personality shooters are the new thing guys

recognized q3dm7 tho

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-12-2016 09:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*looks under desk and see's ET:QW*

Yea, can't really argue

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 06-12-2016 09:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Overwatch is pretty fun, so who knows, it could turn out alright. I'll reserve judgement until we all know more. :shrug:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-12-2016 09:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digging Visor at the end.
Also, the music is very Doom2016.. looks like they found their new Sonic Mayhem

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 03:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It looked ace untill they started warping and sending ORBs out their palms... :rolleyes:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 03:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Quote:

If you want to play the old quake again, just play the old quake again...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 04:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:

Yeah, together with all three other people that still play it.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 04:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Digging Visor at the end.

Looks more like Gorre than Visor tbqh.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 04:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Provided they include mod support, I wouldn't worry about it being a class based arena shooter, it won't take much time for people to release Vanilla Q3 and a CPM mod with item pickups I'm sure. I mean if someone can turn Doom into a MOBA with the limited snapmap tools, how hard can it be to mod this?

I don't think I actually mind the class based thing, as long as it's fast paced and the movement is fluid.

I like that they're releasing it as an e-sports based title, that should mean it's pretty hardcore. I hope there will be dedicated servers as well as the inevitable matchmaking though, the best way to improve is to play mixed skilled people. I stopped playing dota2 eventually because of the frustration with team mates and the entire community's obsession with MMR.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 04:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
hero personality shooters are the new thing guys

recognized q3dm7 tho

Kinda looked like Q3DM6 to me...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 04:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmm, well, if anything, it's cool to see some old Quake models with new CGI :D

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 05:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not interested in a class based quake, but I'll give it a shot. They don't do so well when they chase trends. If anything the success of overwatch and doom should help open the door for a return to twitch based arena shooters, somebody just has to build a fresh one from the ground up with modern sensibilities.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 05:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yea the clip looks cool tho

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 05:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also

" twitch based arena shooters"

:drool:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 06:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm worried about the level editing...if it's the same of doom we're gonna lose a lot of variety

:(

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 07:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Pext wrote:

Yeah, together with all three other people that still play it.

Well.

We all agree on either Q3 being the perfect plain deathmatch shooter.
I guess we also agree on the genre being dead.

Would a simple remake with better graphics revive the genre? I doubt so.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 08:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If anything, the notion that q3 is the perfect game is holding the genre back. Before q3 came out every id game was different and top notch in the competitive aspect. We already have a bunch of versions of quake 3; quake 4, quake live, reflex... it's been played to death. Why not go back to the drawing board and make a new dang game that keeps the fundamentals without adding arbitrary bullshit like classes? There's a lot of smart people out there and all arena shooters don't have to be q3.

This still could technically be that game, but even if there's a classic mode, what you sell people is what they buy. If it's meant to be a class based game it will probably be played first and foremost as a class based game.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 09:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Class based shooters are great when you're playing a team based game. Quake, to me has always been about the 1 v 1 scene and deathmatch. I know a lot of folks here like CTF and Team DM but overall, the game to me seems to be balanced with 1 v 1 in mind and then works team based games into it.

Ultimately 1 v 1 is what's missing in todays market and creating a shooter with that in mind would solve a lot of the problems developers seem to run into because they develop with team games in mind.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
Well.

We all agree on either Q3 being the perfect plain deathmatch shooter.
I guess we also agree on the genre being dead.

Would a simple remake with better graphics revive the genre? I doubt so.

Well,

I can agree with all of your points, but your missing one specific thing.... don't call it quake if you plan on changing the very core game play..

I've had this duscussion a few times to date,. Everyone is so quick to say "things change, deal with it" and all of those other like minded sayings but the reality of it is USUALLY these games are nothing like their previous versions and hold little to nothing in common other than a few astedics placed in the game.

The reality is this is just a company releasing a meh game and putting a old iconic name on it to sell it to kids that have never played the other ones and profit.. nothing more.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 09:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe the game will have class based team play, duel and classic modes?... Calm down moron internet...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 09:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, I'm agreeing with Geoff?

All we've seen is a "Reveal Trailer" with zero gameplay and really no substance. Yet it somehow sparked nerd rage...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 09:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A1yssa wrote:
I'm worried about the level editing...if it's the same of doom we're gonna lose a lot of variety

:(

Yet a lot more variety in mods.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 09:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't see no nerd rage, just valid skepticism.

They clearly don't think an arena shooter can stand on it's own without some kind of gimmick or aping off another game, so I don't have high hopes that this will be the well designed second coming that we are looking for. I guess we'll see more at quakecon.

I was also hoping for a quake 1 style single player so I'm extra disappointed

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 11:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That new Unreal Tournament game seems to stick to the basic principles that made UT great. Why can't Quake?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 01:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cause id...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 06-13-2016 02:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks promising. I'll wait for reviews before posting words like "sigh".

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.