Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Motorbike riding lessons

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Motorbike riding lessons

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 04:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow that's a pretty shitty thing to happen, good to hear he didn't lose his thumb anyway. I'm pretty bad when it comes to cleaning the chain, I really need a bike stand so I can rotate the wheel around to do it. I just wax it up before every ride as my old chain had gotten pretty rusty and had kinks in it. I wasn't as pro-active with the old chain and didn't wax it on every ride, still lasted about 20k though.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 05:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My 1st bike (about 14) was a kx80 scrambler (dirt bike) with a sticky throttle, I lost count of the times that bike tried to kill me. Also had a cr250 that would pull left on the front brake, sold it after going into a wall. The random scars I got from shit like sprockets, kick starts, exhaust burns n all that too.

Never drove a road bike but dirt bikes are murderous beasts, you can do something 100 times the same way then 1 day, *whip*.

Been about 10 years, just started at looking into getting a new one :) (2nd hand obviously - It's gonna end up in a wall again). Also considering a buggy though, if I can sort transport and storage.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 05:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I rode a 4 wheeler last weekend at a friends camp. I kept pulling the reverse lever every time I switched gears and kept twisting the handlebars like that'd make the bike go...

(for those that don't know, there's no clutch on a 4 wheeler and the throttle is operated using your thumb and not a twist throttle you'd see on a bike.)

I also want a dirt bike though, not sure what to get for someone my size. Last one I rode was also a kx80 I think, or possibly a 100.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 06:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iirc the 100 power band was pretty shit compared to the 80 which pretty much had it through all the gears, it was epic. I loved mine so much I couldn't sell it ;), it's in the shed. It still tries to buck me off in every gear when I make sure it still starts. 1991. If your kid ever wants to learn respect for something then give him one of those (or its modern equivalent).

The quads I've been on had twist sticks ?, they scare me a bit - with a bike you rag it around, with a quad it rags you around.

Get something light too, I used to take it up the forests so I like to be able to swing it about. 250 at a min though. I'll prolly end up with a 2 stroke Kawasaki again :D :up:

Edit: actually just remembered my farmer mate has a thumb throttle, I just assumed he modded it. The other one I went on was a rapid fucker, no idea what it was.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 07:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah all the quads I've been on always had the thumb as throttle although I've heard of them having it setup like a bike with a twist throttle on the handlebar.

My 500R is actually a 2 stroke engine, lots of old fellas freak out when they see it.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mmm, the smell :D . That thing should fly off the line ?

That's actually pretty epic. Do they still plug 2 strokes into road bikes ?, It's quite rare in dirt bikes now. From what I can tell the big boy KX's were discontinued in 04. Whats even more fucked up is those 2 stroke bikes were producing the same amount of power as the modern 4 strokes that replaced it today.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I'm guessing one of two things.

1. Gramps has a bike and rides it twice a year.

2. Gramps has a bike and rides it more than twice a year but will invariably do something stupid with it in the future and will never touch it again cause it scared the shit out of him.

This is the vibe I'm getting.

Wrong and wrong. But you're kind of use to that. When you grow up and get a big boy bike, let us know.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
I was told I'd initially suck at quadding, having riding experience. Sure enough, my leg instinctively dropped for balance and almost got chewed up in the rear wheels :toothy:

This is what I bloody hated, on a bike you can drop a foot and slide down, kick the bike away if you lose grip on a bank or sommat. With a quad if it slips you're gonna go wherever it does. Then if you do bail off you need to make sure you don't jump into one of the spinning wheels, or even worse - saddle the sprocket with your testicles.

Murder devices. Fucking hateful things.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just realised actually, what's a good cheap helmet ?. Just need something to protect my skull.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 08:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
I was going to go with gramps has no bike at all, but sees taking lessons as an unmanly thing. Only an effiminate girlman would let someone else tell him what to do - a real man figures out how to do something for himself. Something like that.

This line of reasoning is clearly connected to the insecurities that stem from having a micropenis.

The need for "lesson" kind of implies you have no clue WTF you're doing or have zero confidence in doing things on your own. It also doesn't imply you're going to get any information regarding traffic rules/regulations/safety. Most people who can ride a bicycle can ride a motorcycle and don't require or ever get "lessons". A certified safety/instructional course is always a good idea and is required where I live.

My original comment was more of a joke than serious anyway. But I know you nerds get upset easy, so your reaction was expected.
BTW, I have enough penis to choke out your whore mother. Cheer up. :olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 08:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Basically, Gramps is a big burly man that wouldn't need any kind of lessons for such a masculine activity...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 08:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
[
The need for "lesson" kind of implies you have no clue WTF you're doing or have zero confidence in doing things on your own

Nonsense. If you're learning yourself, you'll only learn your own bad habits.

I could also say that anyone that can watch a YouTube video can learn to play the guitar, and I'm sure that's true for the basics. Strumming chords to your favorite Beatles song, sure. But you'll learn terrible technique because there's no one there to tell you what you are doing wrong. You'll never be a good, let alone a great guitar player. It may have worked for a handful of people, but those are exceptions to the rule.

Besides, how are you going to get hands on experience in traffic without proper rider's license? You can't here in the Netherlands, unless you're with a certified instructor of course.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 09:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, I'd even go as far as to say that stepping on a bike without any experience whatsoever without an instructor is downright dangerous, especially when in traffic.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 09:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Mmm, the smell :D . That thing should fly off the line ?

That's actually pretty epic. Do they still plug 2 strokes into road bikes ?, It's quite rare in dirt bikes now. From what I can tell the big boy KX's were discontinued in 04. Whats even more fucked up is those 2 stroke bikes were producing the same amount of power as the modern 4 strokes that replaced it today.

Nope doesn't smell cause there's no oil mix like the old dirtbikes had. As far as speed it's quick but not fast. It tops out at 190km/h but it'll get there faster than most cars will unless you're getting into 350+hp sports cars and even then it'd be pretty close but they'd wreck me in top end speed. It is however super light, I weigh almost half of what my bike weighs which makes it handle really well. I go riding with some friends, they all have 600+ bikes but around bends and corners I seem to lose them, scraped the pegs a few times now. As far as how many 2 strokes are being made I don't honestly know, mine is a 2014 so it's fairly new. It cranks out 479cc which is roughly 50hp. Not a whole lot of power but combined with the 6 speed gearbox and it weighing 400lbs that seems to be enough to lift the front tire without trying on 2nd gear if I'm pinning the gas. A lot of sport class tuner cars try to race me on the road but none so far seem to be even close to keeping up.

And Gwamps I don't mean to rain on your parade either, I just think you're giving out pretty stupid advice and I really do hope nothing bad happens to you on your bike but for real, be careful out there.

I wanted a small bike as my first road bike to learn what I didn't know I didn't know. Quite a few lessons learned that if I'd had a bigger bike I might have been in real trouble. I'm not 100% sure what my next bike will be as there's newer and more amazing bikes coming out every year. Right now I have my eye on a kawasaki H2 as my next bike but who knows, it's still a few years away before I get to that point. I know I'll never own a cruiser like Gramps tho, I just don't like the sitting position on them.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 09:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

I could also say that anyone that can watch a YouTube video can learn to play the guitar, and I'm sure that's true for the basics. Strumming chords to your favorite Beatles song, sure. But you'll learn terrible technique because there's no one there to tell you what you are doing wrong. You'll never be a good, let alone a great guitar player. It may have worked for a handful of people, but those are exceptions to the rule.

Besides, how are you going to get hands on experience in traffic without proper rider's license? You can't here in the Netherlands, unless you're with a certified instructor of course.

Did you even read my post? Because now you're just arguing to argue. :rolleyes:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 09:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
And Gwamps I don't mean to rain on your parade either, I just think you're giving out pretty stupid advice and I really do hope nothing bad happens to you on your bike but for real, be careful out there.

I wanted a small bike as my first road bike to learn what I didn't know I didn't know. Quite a few lessons learned that if I'd had a bigger bike I might have been in real trouble. I'm not 100% sure what my next bike will be as there's newer and more amazing bikes coming out every year. Right now I have my eye on a kawasaki H2 as my next bike but who knows, it's still a few years away before I get to that point. I know I'll never own a cruiser like Gramps tho, I just don't like the sitting position on them.

I didn't give advice. I made a half joking comment and voiced my opinion on the term lesson as it applies to riding a motorcycle. But I know the thing to do around here for most is to disagree with everything I post, no matter what. I'm okay with that. Will they be okay? Who cares?

The H2 is still a relatively small bike and I don't like that riding position either. Enjoy.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So anyone can drive a car without sitting behind a wheel ?, to drive it properly they're gonna need to learn with experience through series of lessons. If you want to drive it on public roads you will need to demonstrate an appropriate level of competency and thus, you can't just jump in a car and expect to drive.

Whatever you did to become accustomed to a car / bike, wether you learnt on your own or with your father or whatever, was a lesson. If someone had to explain clutch control to you, or even if you figured it out for yourself - that was a lesson. So you can't just jump in a car / on a bike and expect to be able to drive just because you've rode a push bike / driven a go kart. You need to build your experience through learning a lesson.

This talk about not being confident on a bike, how in the fucking hell can you be confident if you havn't learnt anything ?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 10:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Κracus wrote:

I didn't give advice. I made a half joking comment and voiced my opinion on the term lesson as it applies to riding a motorcycle. But I know the thing to do around here for most is to disagree with everything I post, no matter what. I'm okay with that. Will they be okay? Who cares?

The H2 is still a relatively small bike and I don't like that riding position either. Enjoy.

Oh so a 250HP bike capable of out accelerating a Bugatti Veyron is a small bike to you? Jesus dude what are you smoking?

Also, I'd like to point out that I don't, in fact, disagree with everything you say just because you said it. My opinions are my own and I, more than most on this board, can state that I'm not a bandwagon chump. I do however strongly disagree with your stance on bike courses. I didn't need a course to ride a street bike and I'm fairly sure I would have passed the test just fine on my own but I still see value in taking the course regardless, aside from the insurance discounts I get for having taken the course. I'm also not talking about the bicycle vs motorbike comparison you did in fact make earlier.

I am curious though, all kidding aside for real, how many miles have you put on your bike since you got it? I imagine the roads and weather down south are much more accommodating than the 4 seasons of mess I get. I'm not asking to make fun of you either, if you don't ride a lot and like to keep a nice polished bike in your garage that you take out a few times a year that's your prerogative and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. The real reason I ask is because you only really get an idea of the things you don't know about by putting the miles on and maybe you do, maybe you don't.

A course is like getting a few extra miles on without actually doing it. You'll gain experience you WOULD have learned the hard way otherwise and there's nothing wrong with that which is why I feel like you're being a bit obnoxious in suggesting a real man doesn't need a course.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 10:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Eraser wrote:

Did you even read my post? Because now you're just arguing to argue. :rolleyes:

No not at all. If I understand clearly, you are of the opinion that you don't need lessons to learn to ride a motorbike. I'm arguing that, even though you'll be able to find rare anecdotal evidence in favor of that claim, in general you'll learn it quicker and better if you have a licensed instructor with you to teach you.

Maybe it's a cultural difference as well. Here in the Netherlands, driving/riding exams are really strict. I believe it's nearly impossible to pass them without having proper lessons before. It's not just about the technique of driving, there's a lot more involved there. Now I don't know how accurate my impression of US driving exams are, but the way Dutch people generally look at US driving exams is basically that if you can reach the end of the street without killing anyone, you'll pass.
Also, here in the Netherlands, especially in the west part of the country where most of the large cities in are (Rotterdam, The Hague, Amsterdam, Utrecht, all packed relatively tightly together) there's just no deserted rural roads where you can practice all day. I start off at a large parking lot and even there you'll have to be careful not to get hit by cars that enter/leave the lot, even in the evenings. But obviously, that doesn't give you any traffic experience. Our highways are among the busiest in the world. There's not a moment in the day where they aren't filled up with traffic and even at night it's still pretty busy. Try riding on a Dutch highway in your car with cruise control enabled. You won't last for a kilometer before you'll be forced to brake again.

So yeah, I'm of the opinion that, at least here in the Netherlands, driving or riding lessons are a must and one cannot go without.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A certified safety/instructional course is always a good idea and is required where I live.

So you did or didn't miss this part of my previous comment?

We don't refer to state certified and/or state required instructional driving/riding courses as"lessons". "Lessons" are typically thought of as someone with an unknown amount of knowledge/experience giving someone else with even less knowledge/experience remedial instruction. Unless of course you qualify the lessons with additional information regarding the instruction you received, which you didn't.

Now look, I said I was half joking anyway. Are you going to be okay or do we need to go over this in greater detail?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-23-2016 10:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
I was told I'd initially suck at quadding, having riding experience. Sure enough, my leg instinctively dropped for balance and almost got chewed up in the rear wheels :toothy:

Once I'd figured I could angle the fucker at 89 degrees and not tip over, it was a blast though and one could merrily going for mad air at full throttle :owned:

I've jumped my street bike once (unintentionally going 110km/h) but I've never jumped a quad. That must be fun :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.