Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Currently watching..... on the TV

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Currently watching..... on the TV

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-16-2021 12:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that did indeed rock :D

I hope we see more of this kind of cultural collaboration in the future.

I think I noted when the first series went up that I'm not usually a fan of manga and anime, because it's usually saddled with too many formulaic story beats and tropes.
But Castlevania neatly sidestepped those problems by being written by someone from outside of the industry.

I've tentatively got my eye on Yasuke. Has anyone here watched that yet?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-16-2021 01:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I read there were plans for a Castlevania spin-off series so maybe we'll get more of this.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-23-2021 11:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched season 2 of Love, Death + Robots.
It's only 8 episodes long? Bit of a disappointment. I also feel that season 1 was much stronger. There were fewer S02 episodes where I felt I would've liked to explore more of that world of narrative.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 05-24-2021 04:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shadow and Bone (S01) - 6/10

Fantasy YA. World is pretty cool.

There's two main storylines. One is centered around a group of thieves. These characters are nice.

The other storyline centers around "non-descript nice girl" and "quaterback/frat-boy". Such a snooze. There's an action sequence in E01 and I hoped for the dude to die. Misfortunately, he did not.

Also, the directing and cinematography are very boring and hasty. There's barely any tension.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 05-24-2021 04:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Yeah that did indeed rock :D

I hope we see more of this kind of cultural collaboration in the future.

I think I noted when the first series went up that I'm not usually a fan of manga and anime, because it's usually saddled with too many formulaic story beats and tropes.
But Castlevania neatly sidestepped those problems by being written by someone from outside of the industry.

I've tentatively got my eye on Yasuke. Has anyone here watched that yet?

I've really enjoyed Castlevania, and I think you're right that the writer makes all the difference here. Whatever personal issues Warren Ellis has had, or will continue to have, he's a prolific comics writer and has written a hell of a lot of great stuff ... There's a lot of standout runs of main comic series that are Ellis (Hellblazer, x-men, batman), then throw into the mix Planetary, the Authority, Transmetropolitan, and a whole bunch of miniseries that are ace.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 05-24-2021 04:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Watched season 2 of Love, Death + Robots.
It's only 8 episodes long? Bit of a disappointment. I also feel that season 1 was much stronger. There were fewer S02 episodes where I felt I would've liked to explore more of that world of narrative.

Yes, finished this last night - I'm just happy to have some extra episodes, the length doesn't bother me TOO much as they are all separate stories.
I am a sucker for a sci-fi short story!

"Automated Customer Service" and "The Drowned Giant" were the standouts for me - "Ice" warrants some extra world-building.

Life Hutch and Pop Squad were both a bit meh..

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-24-2021 11:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought the style of the human characters was incredibly distracting in Automated Customer Service. Life Hutch suffered from the fact that Automated Customer Service was part of this season, because it felt like I watched the same concept twice and Automated Customer Service felt like the more original take.

Ice was excellent IMO, very beautifully made and definitely something I'd like to see more of.

I thought the subject material of Pop Squad was strong, but it needed to be fleshed out more. For instance, if they'd had more time to make the immortal elite more relatable it would've been less black/white.

Snow in the Desert was a low point for me. Didn't do much for me and wasn't really original. Absolutely incredible CGI, but other than that it's too many clichés cobbled together.

The Tall Grass was very Stephen King-esque. I liked it for what it was: a bite sized snack of that kind of horror. Not necessarily something that warrants further exploration IMO but enjoyable for what it was.

All Through The House was a fun take on Christmas. I liked the concept and just like The Tall Grass, it was exactly right in its format. It presents a simple idea without any fluff and stays to the point.

The Drowned Giant was almost philosophical in subject matter and style. I liked it. It was slightly weird due to the style of presentation, but I'd love for that episode to be a bit longer and dive a bit deeper into the moral and ethical side of what's happening. At the same time, I love how it doesn't dwell on where this giant comes from or what implications its existence has on the world and mankind.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 05-24-2021 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty spot on tbh :up: I've been watching a lot of pixar and disney with the kids, so with ACS the odd human style just washed right over me! :D odd little mannequins

All in all, there was less "new" than S1, lots of ideas and concepts I recognise from a lifetime of scifi consumption

The Drowned Giant is essentially a telling of JG Ballards short story of the same name, so it's a classic short story to be dissected for metaphor and philisophical meaning in an English Lit class :D

https://weirdfictionreview.com/2014/11/four-stories-the-drowned-giant-by-j-g-ballard/

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-24-2021 12:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Started watched Dexter with Lady Carlos. 2 episodes in and so far she is enjoying it, which is excellent news for me.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-24-2021 01:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do yourselves a favour and just watch seasons 1 and 4. The rest is trash.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-24-2021 01:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dexter is really good. It’s true, some seasons are better than other, but for continuity, I’d go ahead an watch it all...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-25-2021 10:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Someone suggested I should watch Mr Mercedes so I found and just started. Brendan Gleeson :up:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-27-2021 03:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Into War of the Worlds on Disney lately, it's far more grim and scary than expected... will keep watching.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-27-2021 08:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Into War of the Worlds on Disney lately, it's far more grim and scary than expected... will keep watching.

Is that the TV series of 2019 with the two below? IMDB has another 'The War of the Worlds' but it is only 3 episodes :smirk:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 06-01-2021 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
The Tall Grass was very Stephen King-esque

Well, he co-wrote it so....

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-10-2021 05:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Loki

First episode was good…

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-10-2021 11:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Loki

First episode was good…

Yes, I love the TVA aesthetic and it seems like they dropped a whole load of hints as to whats to come in future films (Dr Strange 2 being the most obvious).

But it was just...interesting. Something different. A proper character driven episode.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 06-11-2021 12:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sex Education - 8/10

Cheesy collection of tropes you've already seen. But put together very charmingly.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-11-2021 03:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sweet Tooth. 7/10.

Kinda weird but also kinda neat.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-16-2021 01:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The second episode of Loki was excellent

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-16-2021 07:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I’m really enjoying Loki.

One complaint: the low camera angles. They can tone that down a bit…

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-17-2021 03:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Sweet Tooth. 7/10.

It's kinda cute and adult at the same time.
Enjoyed watching it with the nephews.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-17-2021 03:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah it's a weird balance.

Started watching Manifest. It's like watching a good idea badly implemented and poorly acted so far...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-17-2021 03:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Yeah it's a weird balance.

I wonder how the production-design could come up with all that very actual imagery.
How did they predict all those details? Or how much footage has been shot after March/April 2020?
The masks the extras are wearing or the toilet-paper Gus lands in jumping into the train, the Anti-Vaxxers... Several other small details no art-director could have come up with before our "new reality".

Those details made me laugh and wonder.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-17-2021 06:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They can re-do scenes and add stuff like that in. Not saying they did but it's a possibility.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-17-2021 11:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
They can re-do scenes and add stuff like that in. Not saying they did but it's a possibility.

Yep, I know about re-shoots. About when they (might) become necessary and when they are actually done.
Thing is the series is 7 hours of end-product. That's a lot of re-shoots, editing, post-work etc.

And yet it was published during the absolutely best time :).

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-13-2021 12:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Someone suggested I should watch Mr Mercedes so I found and just started. Brendan Gleeson :up:

Just read somewhere that there are 2 more seasons I haven't watched :smirk: Silly me. Off to find 'em.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-13-2021 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: Currently watching..... on the TV, forgot to mention currently watching a TV series Forever (2014).

Quote:
A 200-year-old man works in the New York City Morgue trying to find a key to unlock the curse of his immortality.

IMDB

Really a good watch IMO. Ioan Gruffudd plays the part so well. You may remember him from the Hornblower shows. Get a chance, give it a go :up:

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 07-13-2021 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just finished Breaking Bad, El Camino, and Seasons 1-4 of Better Call Saul. Season 5 is on its way.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-13-2021 11:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Best Gordon Ramsay I've seen so have a go :D

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-13-2021 11:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seems I have to find El Camino.
To be sure here, is it the follow on movie I've heard was to happen after Jesse escaped the M60 in the car boot controlled by the (what) garage door opener?

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 07-14-2021 05:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, it's on Netflix. Felt it was a good follow-up story with closure.

Also, if you're ever looking for a title try http://www.justwatch.com and it will show which providers it is available on.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-14-2021 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:
Yeah, it's on Netflix. Felt it was a good follow-up story with closure.

Also, if you're ever looking for a title try http://www.justwatch.com and it will show which providers it is available on.

Cheers :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-14-2021 11:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just viewed El Camino again and a marvelous/fitting finish to a great series... Will watch the series again :up: :up:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-15-2021 04:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Loki was top notch - did enjoy

Also watching something on the BBC called Time - gritty drama with Sean Bean and Stephen Graham

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.