Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Westworld

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Westworld

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-29-2016 09:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking forward to this. Had an extended trailer last night after The Night Of. If you're not paying for HBO, you should be...

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1924642329

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-29-2016 09:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks very interesting, Series are the Blockbusters of today -i like that change!

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 08-29-2016 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

looks promising, love the original

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-29-2016 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ALMighty wrote:
looks promising, love the original

Yes, the original a classic in my book :up: If you haven't seen it, put it on your to watch list.

IMDB - Westworld (1973)

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 08-29-2016 04:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Loved the original will check this new one out

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 08-29-2016 04:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like it will be a good one

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-02-2016 03:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Knowing the film(s), looking forward to the series.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-03-2016 11:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty good season opener last night :up:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-03-2016 09:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hopefully watching it tonight if I get back from London in time and I can stay awake...3:45am starts are not the one.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-04-2016 01:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, it's good. Looking forward to Shit getting real.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-04-2016 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Yep, it's good. Looking forward to Shit getting real.

I am yet to view but all the snippets on the 'tube look great.
Bummer, it is not on the local TV/cable here that I can see, guess I will have to got fishing *cough * cough

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 10-04-2016 07:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just watched a episode of Westworld and its trippy, would watch again

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 08:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Question:

Who cleans the cum out of Dolores each night after the Man in Black blows it all up in her?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 10-05-2016 09:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Question:

Who cleans the cum out of Dolores each night after the Man in Black blows it all up in her?

Ur dad...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-07-2016 02:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, I forgot to ask, how frequent is it available? Once a week I'd think...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-11-2016 08:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Another good episode.

But one thing that's bothering me. I'm having a really hard time "feeling" for the characters. When I know they're robots, it takes away the emotional connection. When the man in black shoots up a posse or one of the main robots is killed, I'm like meh. No biggy. I'll see them next episode. But for shows like GoT, if someone is killed, I might be in brief shock (except maybe Jon Snow)...

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 10-11-2016 06:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just watched another episode I got to say its pretty trippy, even with knowing their robots you got to admit there is a lot of dead in there

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-11-2016 10:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Two episodes in and I'm loving it. It's refreshing that they're taking things nice and slow.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-12-2016 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I'm having a really hard time "feeling" for the characters. When I know they're robots, it takes away the emotional connection. When the man in black shoots up a posse or one of the main robots is killed, I'm like meh. No biggy. I'll see them next episode. But for shows like GoT, if someone is killed, I might be in brief shock (except maybe Jon Snow)...

Can't tell if stupid or just trollin'.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-12-2016 04:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was being serious. :shrug:

Discussing things like emotional connection was always the norm in film classes. Not sure how that's stupid...

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-13-2016 12:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a very well polished and intruiging show otherwise, but this could be a problem. I'm also unmoved by any of the supposed horrificness or the action sequences, for the same reason.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 10-13-2016 05:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's becuz ur a moron...

plained
plained
PostPosted: 10-13-2016 06:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yea you guys and your overwhelming feelings!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-17-2016 11:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Righty.
So, we have those things, artificial bodies with artificial memories.
They are called "hosts", not robots. For a good reason, see spoilers.
We have the "Man In Black" Ed Harris, doing fantastic.
We have the organization that sets all this up. And we have the guests, the visitors.
And then we have that one anomally with a guest almost looking like a host.
This is what I take from the first 2 episdoes.

OK, so they are not just robots. They are hosts, bodies and brains to carry memories of different existences.
Each existence is a memory- instance. None instance should be aware of the other.
But that shit just happens to come up now, through pics and other facts. They start to remember about former existences. And those hosts realize how cruel the system they are stuck in really is.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-18-2016 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Yeah, it's a very well polished and intruiging show otherwise, but this could be a problem. I'm also unmoved by any of the supposed horrificness or the action sequences, for the same reason.

I thought this was the point. It's showing us the complexities of what is considered 'intelligence' or consciousness and what we perceive it as, just because something can't die or isn't self aware doesn't mean it can't feel pain, because it's man made doesn't necessarily mean they ain't conscious. I am expecting more and more character / plot development as the confines of the creators start falling. The more the show dwells on these aspects the more it unravels,

I thought the Anthony Hopkins character nailed this when he sliced the face of one of the androids after apparently taking a personal interest in his creations and his actions in trying to expand their programming, they're just cattle - an animal the displays intelligence. The Deloris character being unable to pull the trigger n all, that could apply to many real people but when placed in a life or death situation ?.

One of the things we were required to look at in uni was to define AI and how it differed to human behavior if it could be replicated and no one could really pin point an answer, then when you compare it to the animal kingdom it really becomes a discussion point.

To us, the viewer, they're still just a bunch of robots running around the park but in the shoes of the robot we're the monsters putting them through hell.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-18-2016 01:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think you may be making some points, but you're also really hard to follow...

plained
plained
PostPosted: 10-18-2016 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fuck ur dumb :olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-18-2016 02:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The spacker is obsessed and gotten to :olo:

plained
plained
PostPosted: 10-18-2016 03:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ha
yea i gotten to because u have trouble understanding like 50% of the posts on this board!

and ey calling me a spakker doesnt bother me because ive been known to spakk it up !

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-18-2016 07:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

TLDR for the dumb - What makes you think that you aren't the robot ?.

Our body responds to the environment in similar ways and all our lives we learn to conduct ourselves in a particular way, we learn to better ourselves etc. This may differ from individual to individual but who's to say our thoughts, ideas or desires are any different from an artificially created one ?, (obviously I'm talking about future tech). If I got back to the cattle example do you really think it would willingly walk into a slaughterhouse if it had any awareness to what was happening ?.

Another example is when that homicidal robot is going skitzo and killing everyone that killed him before, that's an emotional response and is acting out of desire.

It's all very fascinating to me anyway, I like the way it doesn't get explained in dialogue but through actions. A simple example was when it was showing us how the robots respond when part of the programmed story 'scripts' aren't followed.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-18-2016 08:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained wrote:
...ive been known to spakk it up !

Yeah I heard that about you. Maybe you should try swallowing...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-18-2016 08:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't believe you're comparing it to GoT n all. The 1st 5 eps were boring as fuck, it only became interesting when the story archs started forming.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-18-2016 08:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
xer0s wrote:

TLDR for the dumb - What makes you think that you aren't the robot ?.

Our body responds to the environment in similar ways and all our lives we learn to conduct ourselves in a particular way, we learn to better ourselves etc. This may differ from individual to individual but who's to say our thoughts, ideas or desires are any different from an artificially created one ?, (obviously I'm talking about future tech). If I got back to the cattle example do you really think it would willingly walk into a slaughterhouse if it had any awareness to what was happening ?.

Another example is when that homicidal robot is going skitzo and killing everyone that killed him before, that's an emotional response and is acting out of desire.

It's all very fascinating to me anyway, I like the way it doesn't get explained in dialogue but through actions. A simple example was when it was showing us how the robots respond when part of the programmed story 'scripts' aren't followed.

No, yeah, I get it. You just seem to be stating the obvious. But don't let me stop you from continuing the discussion...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-18-2016 08:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You were the one missing the point shithead.

So much so that you had it explained twice, once with crayon. You're meant to see the robots like a bit of steak and the show alludes to this countless times.

Last edited by losCHUNK on 10-18-2016 08:19 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-18-2016 08:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
I can't believe you're comparing it to GoT n all. The 1st 5 eps were boring as fuck, it only became interesting when the story archs started forming.

The comparison was about the killing of characters and the emotional connection. Not about story arch or bordom.

I'm enjoying Westworld. Never said I wasn't. I also enjoyed GoT from the start...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.